Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1334833690321416193

weren't there a bunch of people on here clamoring for a hockey anime

Yes

I'm very intrigued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

D4DJ doing some great faces with it's 3D animation. Also being really fun watch even if the fact it needs background characters unlike Bandori means those characters look like PS2 era RPG NPC's

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Julias posted:

Paging Furnaceface

Said it in the chat thread but it bears repeating.

loving all day yes. :gritty:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there a Studio Shaft (specifically Bakemonogatari) character designer working on the new Higurashi season? The way they do faces reminds me a LOT of the style in Bake.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yes, it is the monogatari character designer. they're not affiliated with shaft though other than being the artist for that series afaik

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Akio Watanabe is the name of the character designer and their style is, as you've noticed, very recognizable, so mission accomplished. :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like watanabe's designs because they're the closest thing any animated form of higurashi has to looking like the original vn designs, unironically, they adhere surprisingly close to how ryukishi drew the cast in capturing details most redesigns kinda smooth out

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah its super distinctive, especially in the OP, no so often during the actual show itself unless the camera angle is just right but its a fun detail to recognize from the animation. Like I've cracked the code a bit.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tales of Woe posted:

yes, it is the monogatari character designer. they're not affiliated with shaft though other than being the artist for that series afaik

Yeah he's freelance but has a close relationship with SHAFT and worked with Shinbo on some of his pre-SHAFT anime in the 90s. Honestly a ton of anime will switch char designers/chief animation directors within 1/2 sequel seasons so it's nothing short of amazing that the guy has worked closely on every season of monogatari. Kizumonogatari is an exception and it basically had its own special team

plus sometimes watching shaft anime without him it feels like an animator is pulling from gatari experience just for a few frames

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlcXFr8tcrw

geass mobage, new anime

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

I can't get too mad at them for wanting to make a mobage when everyone and their mother has already done it.

All the same, I am more optimistic about a new anime at least on paper. No real story or character details yet though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The movie was alright so I think they could pull off something that is also alright

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
We rolling for Ashley lads

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Latest Elaina was pretty good up until around the 24 minute mark.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I haven't seen a single episode of Elaina but I appreciate it for the "what the hell was that" reactions it causes in this thread every week.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel bad for the ln fans who wanted a good anime

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Really wonder what the author thinks about how the adaptation went. The last time I can remember an original author publicly complaining about the adaptation of their work was... Kumamiko?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Near as I can tell he's been pretty positive on twitter, fwiw - although there's the obvious caveats that 1.) I'm relying on Bing! Translate and 2.) I assume that authors in this position are, while probably not *required*, probably discouraged from openly poo poo-talking tie-in projects like anime and such.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it would be one thing for the author to complain if the anime flopped due to the bad adaptation decisions, but that doesn't seem to have happened with this one

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

congrats everyone we did it, animated k-on in 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

it would be one thing for the author to complain if the anime flopped due to the bad adaptation decisions, but that doesn't seem to have happened with this one

Well, I've made my feelings clear on bad adaptation decisions, lol, but the flop sure hasn't seemed to happen. From AniTrendz and just general buzz I've seen around the show most folks seem to fuckin' love the show, ill-advised serial killer episode and all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Coaaab posted:

Really wonder what the author thinks about how the adaptation went. The last time I can remember an original author publicly complaining about the adaptation of their work was... Kumamiko?

Depends on whether you are looking solely at Japanese adaptations or not. If not, here's a lengthy discussion on the topic from 2 years ago by Rick Riordan.
https://rickriordan.com/2018/11/memories-from-my-tv-movie-experience/

Admittedly not a present tense public complaint, but it does a pretty good job of illustrating the frustration of being able to do nothing as someone tosses your work into the metaphorical garbage.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

oh is kirara fantasia getting an anime finally

i want to some day see sakuga of yuno fighting fantasy monsters

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
no its just a cv for part 2 of the story cause they announced stuff for the 3rd anni or whatevs

that would be good though. on the plus side the kirara fantasia part 2 starts with some darker-looking shamiko

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Original K-On College anime that's actually interesting and gay when cowards

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/Dogen/status/1330455062225821697

From the Right and Honorable Revised and enlarged edition of exercises in the Yokohama dialect (1879)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I assume that authors in this position are, while probably not *required*, probably discouraged from openly poo poo-talking tie-in projects like anime and such.

https://files.catbox.moe/j5sqau.webm

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
We now have a thread for season 4 of Attack on Titan

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950431

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpZpPaEmLI8

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lord Koth posted:

Depends on whether you are looking solely at Japanese adaptations or not. If not, here's a lengthy discussion on the topic from 2 years ago by Rick Riordan.
https://rickriordan.com/2018/11/memories-from-my-tv-movie-experience/

Admittedly not a present tense public complaint, but it does a pretty good job of illustrating the frustration of being able to do nothing as someone tosses your work into the metaphorical garbage.

It's... probably worse in hollywood, a place infested with arrogant monied assholes convinced their coke-fueled writing sprees will appeal to their perfectly perceived audience. Also Hollywood doesn't work under a just-in-time production mode. Meanwhile, wasnt there a recent isekai show where the author got mad at the character designs, forcing a re-do that completely borked their production schedule, making everything look like crap? And also it took years between Attack on Titan S1 --> S2, when in the meantime the a ton of 3rd parties had written their own interpretations of the material, and the cultural relevance slowly faded away, until the mangaka finally nailed down what they were going for.

Meanwhile The Expanse lucked out, with a showrunner who worked out that the very hard science fiction elements were what made the story unique and allowed it to stand out from its competitors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Just out of general curiosity, what is a "white box" copy? A prerelease set?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Shirobako posted:

The title Shirobako refers to videos that are distributed to the production staff members prior to their release. These videos were at a time distributed as VHS tapes enclosed in white boxes and are still referred to as "white boxes" (thus the meaning of shirobako) despite the fact that the white enclosures are no longer in use.
(everyone should watch Shirobako)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

art quality got a downgrade

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What's this from?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

lunar detritus posted:

What's this from?

A sister's all you need

It's a show mainly about writers and their struggles. Though I don't normally give warnings and let shows speak on their own, the first couple of minutes of ep 1 is an explicitly creepy and absurd fantasy sequence that is intentionally awful, and isn't really indicative of the rest of the show.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Despite the title (and the fakeout at the start of the first episode), it's not actually one of those little sister/incest anime that were popular back then.
It's about a group of friends who work in the light novel industry (3 are writers, the other one wants to be an editor) and a lot of the anime is just them hanging out, playing board games and drinking beer.

e: it is quite horny though, just not horny for any character's sibling

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 6, 2020

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Tamba posted:

Despite the title (and the fakeout at the start of the first episode), it's not actually one of those little sister/incest anime that were popular back then.
it got attention b/c it was the guy's followup to oreimo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Coaaab posted:

it got attention b/c it was the guy's followup to oreimo
You're getting it confused with Eromanga-sensei which came out the same year.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's not related to Oreimo, it's by the author of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i have been truly shamed about my ignorance of imouto lns, my apologies