Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Nick Buntline posted:

Maybe I missed something (or maybe it's from farther in Ruina than I've gotten), but where is it implied Benjamin's break-in and message was after the loops had already started? It would seem to make more sense as the last thing that occurs prior to the loops starting - his last ditch effort to get A to give up on the plan/Carmen/etc, which gets fatally derailed by Angela (either as a generous interpretation of orders or as just plain self-preservation in one of A's blind spots). The message gets played within the loop, but I had thought the implication was that was just another piece of stagecraft/scripting, like A's letter to himself or all the other half-truths Angela tells.

I can’t think of anything in ruina that will imply that in particular? Most of the evidence is for that version of things is from LC itself iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My main thoughts are the fact that the messages/recordings are to X not A, and the final truth in said recordings is Benjamin warning X of his memory resets. He explicitly is talking to X in those recordings, and X is something that is part of the loops, not before the loops because starting the loops is what fractures A afaik. If B is contacting A himself beforehand it doesn't really make sense, he'd not be as vague if he was talking to the person he already knows, he's trying to find someone in the company after the loops start and he's no longer sure who is managing it. I'm guessing the timeline is that Benjamin is outside the company on the first day of the loop, which turns A into the first X and starts Angela's nightmare, and then breaks back in on day 13 or just before to find out what's going on when the headquarters stops providing power to the outside, or he knew the basics of the plan and had a change of heart about them that led to him trying to return and stop it. Either way yeah Angela finds him and turns him into a Boxbot, which is part of why I believe in said break-in always happening as a part of the loop, instead of it happening only in one loop and from that point onwards Hokma remaining a boxbot instead of Benjamin reliving his attempt to save X.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Lord_Magmar posted:

True that endgame is supression central, but that didn't really stop you from giving the Sephirot a voice for their own suppressions.

But also yeah, you've done pretty wonderfully so far so I'm not too worried. You'll make it work. You will reach beyond the clouds and achieve this monumental LP, no matter what.

All I can say about the final few suppressions is that I plan to have X do a not-insignificant amount of talking to himself.

But also thank you for the praise but I do just want to say I only consider myself at best an incredibly gifted shitposter. I’ve just been lucky enough to find that a particularly long and high-effort shitpost can make for a very readable LP. :sweatdrop:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 6, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think you'll find you're now a hitposter, because your posting is a big hit with the crowd.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think you'll find you're now a hitposter, because your posting is a big hit with the crowd.

That’s why I call it advanced shitposting. :hmmyes:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
A thought regarding B and Angela:
Given the structure of the entire complex, I think Records had to have an associated Sephirah to begin with. What if that was originally Angela? She’s a logical choice given her memory configuration. That makes A slightly less cruel when he originally designed this plan, as resolving Angela’s “issues” would have been a necessary step right before arriving at Architecture.

B then sneaks in to warn A/X about Angela, perhaps because she locked him out at some point in the late planning. Angela kills him, boxes him, and assigns him to Records, leaving herself outside the departmental structure and therefore ensuring that the successful X never deals with any of her issues. Given that X never gets that deep until the player starts playing, all her tortured issues remain in place, but she ends up marginalized in a profound way. If she doesn’t fully understand A’s plan, that seems absolutely like a maneuver she’d make.

As for the rewinds, employees are presumably the other example of “entry into the loops from outside.” As the complex size determines the employee pool, the late hires must all be outside the rewind until they aren’t. Day 1 resets in the default game eject established employees and you can end up with all new hires in their place. That implies to me that B is always reset outside the complex and always voluntarily re-enters. It’s possible it took him years to get in the first time, accounting for his aging, and I’d think that sneaking into the time loop would have required him to make a deal with T Corp. If he was A’s de facto deputy, he may have had access to Lob Corp resources outside of this complex and skimmed some energy off the top to eventually purchase an ability to intrude on the loop.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They bring up B's situation a little in this very spoilery Q&A, doesn't really help though does it

hyper spoilers posted:

Q: B seems to age constantly as Lobotomy loops, but A stays young. Is A a robot like the other sephiras?

A: No, A is human. A is well contained within a time machine(TTP protocal) so he doesn’t age with every loop, but B is slightly askew in it so he keeps aging.

this screenshot btw :roflolmao:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

lets hang out posted:

They bring up B's situation a little in this very spoilery Q&A, doesn't really help though does it

this screenshot btw :roflolmao:

It does feel like proof to me that B/Benjamin is definitely alive and human at the start of the loop, and he has to age until the day he becomes a boxbot. Considering he was apparently 20-ish and is now definitely much older, that provides even more context for just how many loops are happening, as he's aging roughly 20 days every loop. A/X doesn't age because he's properly integrated in the time loop, so his body is reset with each loop whereas Benjamin is un-boxed, but returned to the age he "should" be based on time lived.

As for some of the other things in that Q&A, I'm reminded again that Extraction and Records are only at HQ, which is where the game takes place and does in fact have something that escapes the time loops, Cogito taken to other branches so they can function. But perhaps the Legacy version of the game might in fact have been a separate branch of Lobotomy Corporation, as it doesn't have Extraction or Records.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 6, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Yo if they kneecap the Keypage they added in the last update I'll be so mad. So what if it's probably impossible to balance around, this is the coolest poo poo ever and the game having an easy mode option that's literally cannonical is rad as gently caress.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the thing about Hokma/B aging is that the human appearance of the Sephirot are a sort of "self-image" thing; they appear to you how they see themselves, which is why after you do their suppression missions they just turn into the boxbots - because that is the point when they accept that they are no longer the people they used to be. Hokma/B ages through the loops because he still feels the passage of time as a continuous notion and "feels" old even if it's just been repeating the same 50 day period over and over again.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the thing about Hokma/B aging is that the human appearance of the Sephirot are a sort of "self-image" thing; they appear to you how they see themselves, which is why after you do their suppression missions they just turn into the boxbots - because that is the point when they accept that they are no longer the people they used to be. Hokma/B ages through the loops because he still feels the passage of time as a continuous notion and "feels" old even if it's just been repeating the same 50 day period over and over again.

I like this interpretation, since the whole psychology and growth of the game characters is its biggest draw of the PM Universe for me.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Yo if they kneecap the Keypage they added in the last update I'll be so mad. So what if it's probably impossible to balance around, this is the coolest poo poo ever and the game having an easy mode option that's literally cannonical is rad as gently caress.

Hard agree from me, it SHOULD be busted-and I can’t wait for it to get a sister page on the other floor that unlocked its super. :)

As for the rest of this stuff I have thoughts but (surprisingly, perhaps?), I have found no coherent way to get them all down. Just know for the record that Hokma makes my head hurt just as much as Binah but for very different reasons. :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Literature realization Just remembered we actually see human B alongside the boxes melting down, and her lines there suggest even that happens every time. Maybe he just receives the full memories of all his loops every time Angela boxes him again. :shrug:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Literature realization Just remembered we actually see human B alongside the boxes melting down, and her lines there suggest even that happens every time. Maybe he just receives the full memories of all his loops every time Angela boxes him again. :shrug:

I went back and rewatched the scene and sure enough that's fair. But then, the Benjamin she would be killing every time is young (since that's little b and not old b) so he couldn't have ever gotten old and then come back...

so maybe that footage is from attempts that went into day 46+, since that plays there?

Day 47 (script) spoilers:

<text id="day47_b_8">The final truth is—</text>
<text id="day47_angela_1">“That you are about to begin the repetition of this infinite cycle. With your memories reset, oblivious to everything that has transpired.”</text>
<text id="day47_angela_2">“Leave with me before you can no longer undo what you’ve set in motion.”</text>
<text id="day47_angela_3">That’s what you wanted to say.</text>
<text id="day47_angela_4">I’m sorry that we have to meet again like this.</text>
<text id="day47_angela_5">It did not take very long to find out where you were hiding.</text>
<text id="day47_angela_6">I thought I should have given you some time to say goodbye, since this will be the last chance you have to say such a thing to the one you look up to.</text>

"you are about to begin" seems to call out to me here, and in the context of the Hod final story scene she mentions this right after a line about playing her little "detective game" with Chesed.

Based on this, I feel like the most reasonable answer is "both": Angela is murdering Hokma every time, but it always happens before Day 1 of Lobotomy Corporation starts, in the 'stage setting' part of the loops. By the time X takes the stage, Hokma is already a robot.

This game, man. Or specifically Hokma, I guess. :psyduck:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Well I legitimately hadn’t considered there being a part of the loop before X is activated. If so then I can accept that being the time Benjamin attempts to break in and warn of the situation. Although personally I still prefer that the messages are real and Benjamin becomes Hokma mid story instead of just before.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Apparently in the Russian version The Perfect Meal ordeal is called "Digested Food".

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Apparently in the Russian version The Perfect Meal ordeal is called "Digested Food".

"In Russia, food digest you!"

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

In the latest update in Ruina, yet another wing decided to use their singularity in an unnecessarily disgusting way.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Yikes, this updates rough. PM-verse gets darker every time.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
In about 3 hours, Fubuki, one of the largest vtubers in Hololive, is going to play Lobotomy Corporation: https://youtu.be/Huwnudda2yM

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The more we learn about PM-verse, the more obvious it becomes that everything bad traces back to T-corp.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

PM unintentionally (???) writing some great critique-of Anarcho-Capitalism in their 'verse.

No Gods, No Kings, only horrific service to the local McSingularity™ and/or whatever local warlord who makes the rules in your particular neighborhood.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Super stoked for the new stuff coming, I don’t know how to read Korean so what’s the cliff notes?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

This is NEET's line by line translation of everything revealed during the mini presentation. There's some interesting stuff here, and I like LC-B being an SMT/EO-like dungeon crawler, I gotta say.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

This is NEET's line by line translation of everything revealed during the mini presentation. There's some interesting stuff here, and I like LC-B being an SMT/EO-like dungeon crawler, I gotta say.

Thanks so much! I adore SMT games and this is definitely giving me shades of that. Very exciting stuff!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sounds very darkest dungeon to me

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I'm into it.

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Birds with beautiful wings! Gather on the battlefield and take flight!
Oh man, this came out of left field and I am all for it. +1 to loving SMT/EO-like dungeon crawlers, so I'm just sitting here like :allears:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

quote:

Fight or Converse with Abnormalities
Someone get Mizu on this!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

lf only you could talk to these Abnormalities, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Excited for this ongoing PM Cinematic Universe type situation, hope they keep finding success with their games.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Well the webcomic continues to be pretty interesting. I am a fan of the alternate Red Riding Hood and Big Bad Wolf they've done, the Boy who Cried Wolf is a really interesting angle for that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Theantero posted:

lf only you could talk to these Abnormalities, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

haven't these games taught you that If an Abnormality is even remotely helpful and ISN'T a weird floating skull then it is 100% a trap

and yeah count me in on the "was lured into playing this by the LP" club, though i'm using the more info mod because i'm boring like that and don't like things being vague

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 20, 2020

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

Well the webcomic continues to be pretty interesting. I am a fan of the alternate Red Riding Hood and Big Bad Wolf they've done, the Boy who Cried Wolf is a really interesting angle for that.

Oh? I thought it was the Shepard boy and wolf asops fable.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

sandnavyguy posted:

Oh? I thought it was the Shepard boy and wolf asops fable.

The Boy who cried Wolf is the modern name I know of for that Aesop Fable.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Boy who cried Wolf is the modern name I know of for that Aesop Fable.

Ah! That makes sense. I love the designs for them too.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

KazigluBey posted:

Whelp, it happened. Not a direct nerf but in some ways arguably worse, since it impacts a bunch of other keys and cards. Unless I'm missing something there's no way the change in today's small patch isn't linked to the Keypage they added when I made the above post...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I do hope the sequel fixes how repetitive lobcorp 1 can get when you're running out of new stuff to discover and are just trying to farm those last few abnormalities/ resetting so your corp isn't a complete clusterfuck if someone smokes too close to the hallway

all my employees are just smushed up against rudolta's door so he can gift fat insight gains to all the good girls and boys

e: speaking of rudolta i'm actually disappointed that he doesn't become an aleph-tier death monster on christmas eve

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 22, 2020

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Rare footage of -45 breaching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_O5IesXl6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

me reading lp: wow why is he such a dick to clerks

me playing: well i made a bee mad, time to execute this entire department