Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

For that price, I'd buy that K27 just for its 17.69 kWh battery pack & drivetrain alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Not the best method of charging, but an interesting video nevertheless.

https://youtu.be/EEIN6-cVLRg

Crazier version is to charge by towing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaGVoB4Zn-Y

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

VideoGameVet posted:

Kandi K27 EV Test Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVGTzM81L8

So I guess they really are shipping these now.

Video claims that in Colorado the net cost would be $6000.

So I thought I heard these guys mention "Garland cop" while driving the Kandi around and... sure enough, Kandi has set up it's US HQ in Garland, TX (in the Dallas area, for those not familiar.) Interesting. I'm in the DFW area, so might need to check these dorky little things out, since they'll be local.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RZA Encryption posted:

Changli is hosed
Only if you're some sort of rich guy with 6 grand to spend on a car

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

ilkhan posted:

Not the best method of charging, but an interesting video nevertheless.

https://youtu.be/EEIN6-cVLRg

Amusing when he says 7.2 kW is a "lot of power".
Dude, don't ever look at the power graphs in a data logger from that Model Y Performance doing a drag race. My Model 3 Performance has hit 397 kW output on a launch.
Also amusing "never heard the engine rev higher to delver the power". Yes, it should surprise absolutely nobody that a huge F150 engine idles at >7.2 kW of output (which by the way is just short of 10 HP).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's good for an inverter built into a truck. They have a Model Y

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I thought it was impressive that it pushed 7.2kW of AC power at 1000 rpm. Some dynamo/generator setup in that car :v:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Amusing when he says 7.2 kW is a "lot of power".
Dude, don't ever look at the power graphs in a data logger from that Model Y Performance doing a drag race. My Model 3 Performance has hit 397 kW output on a launch.
Also amusing "never heard the engine rev higher to delver the power". Yes, it should surprise absolutely nobody that a huge F150 engine idles at >7.2 kW of output (which by the way is just short of 10 HP).

That truck would replace the backup generator for my house, it’s awesome.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VideoGameVet posted:

Kandi K27 EV Test Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVGTzM81L8

So I guess they really are shipping these now.

Video claims that in Colorado the net cost would be $6000.

I really do think things like this could do well in the US. I wait our cheap EV future.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

sanchez posted:

That truck would replace the backup generator for my house, it’s awesome.

How much do you pay to get the hybrid and then the 7.2kw package, though?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Some napkin math for that F-150 vs. this 6kW generator gives a slight edge to the F-150 in terms of economy, which would make this a pretty good option, for say a tow/recovery vehicle offering roadside charging assistance, or anywhere else you feel you may need to charge your EV, say out in the forest riding trails.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder why they hybridized the 3.5 instead of the 2.7

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Charles posted:

How much do you pay to get the hybrid and then the 7.2kw package, though?
About 3.5k, depending on the trim. Default on the HEV is the 2.4kW output.

LibCrusher posted:

I wonder why they hybridized the 3.5 instead of the 2.7
3.5 needs the mileage boost more, and probably has a stronger idle.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 3, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Man the hybrid F-150 is really appealing to me. Lots of technology, plenty of space, and a generator for hurricane season.

I love it for everything except the size and the price. I dislike not being able to park in my garage. I could park it in my driveway but I'd probably need to deal with my tree that loves to drop random branches without warning (and truckloads of acorns in the fall). And the price starts getting into the $60k range when you start adding all the cool stuff I like.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I saw this on Ars and am pretty excited:

Everything we know about Hyundai and Kia’s new electric vehicle platform

With new models showing up for Kia and Hyundai in 2021.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

priznat posted:

I'm glad I leased the Niro EV. This looks like a huge step up, particularly on the fast charging.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah this is pretty cool. The forthcoming Ioniq 6 is supposed to be based on the Hyundai Prophecy concept, which is pretty neat looking.

https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/company/newsroom/-0000016411

Its due out in 2022, so its a little too far out for any spy shots or anything of the actual production version to get leaked yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kia please make an EV Stinger with similar performance tyvm

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hopefully they'll have a smaller AWD vehicle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Charles posted:

Hopefully they'll have a smaller AWD vehicle.

Yeah, something small, that's really useful, and all wheel drive. Kind of a cross between a car and bigger utility vehicle. We could call it a combined functional vehicle, or something.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

priznat posted:

This please. I'd be pretty goddamn happy with a Stinger-like EV on this purpose built platform. If the Ioniq 6 ends up in that ballpark, that will be tempting. Hopefully we'll start getting some pricing and concrete info on the Ioniq line soon.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, something small, that's really useful, and all wheel drive. Kind of a cross between a car and bigger utility vehicle. We could call it a combined functional vehicle, or something.

Can skip the cuv. Just regular ride height, like a regular Impreza.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

priznat posted:

EV Stinger might be enough to work against the Kia Badge Bias

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

EV Stinger might be enough to work against the Kia Badge Bias

It'd be better brilliant to overcome the fact that you have to buy it from a Kia dealer!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

It'd be better brilliant to overcome the fact that you have to buy it from a Kia dealer!

The one I bought from was pretty good, apart from the constant need to do surveys that must be 5/5 or the heavens will split asunder with the wrath of terrible gods.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

priznat posted:

The one I bought from was pretty good, apart from the constant need to do surveys that must be 5/5 or the heavens will split asunder with the wrath of terrible gods.

I think the stupid poo poo survey thing is pretty much all dealerships now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bandire posted:

I think the stupid poo poo survey thing is pretty much all dealerships now.

Figures, it seems like something that would just become mandatory. It's so dumb because scaring anyone into giving anything other than a perfect score renders it essentially useless.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

priznat posted:

I wonder why other companies aren't doing the "foot garages" layout where they move cells from the back seat footwells to under the back seats. It would make a load of sense in compact cars like this, or any BEV with back seats really.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

knox_harrington posted:

I wonder why other companies aren't doing the "foot garages" layout where they move cells from the back seat footwells to under the back seats. It would make a load of sense in compact cars like this, or any BEV with back seats really.

I believe it is for weight distribution and balance. The battery heaviest component in the car, but it can pretty much be anywhere in the vehicle and any shape. Flat, low, and in the middle is ideal for center of gravity and improves driving dynamics.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bandire posted:

I believe it is for weight distribution and balance. The battery heaviest component in the car, but it can pretty much be anywhere in the vehicle and any shape. Flat, low, and in the middle is ideal for center of gravity and improves driving dynamics.

They foot garages are just small cutouts in a battery pack that is flat, low, and in the center so I don’t think that has anything to do with it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They foot garages are just small cutouts in a battery pack that is flat, low, and in the center so I don’t think that has anything to do with it.

Yeah I misunderstood what he meant and had to do more googling. I assumed he meant putting the displaced cells in the seat base rather than extending the battery module further back. Is this only on the Taycan at this point? EV packaging and design it still kinda new territory, so it may just be that no one else has had the time to steal it from Porsche yet.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I had to look it up too: https://jalopnik.com/the-porsche-taycan-was-designed-with-something-called-f-1836023684

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

It probably makes the battery pack harder to use in so many models because the placement of foot rests will be different from vehicle to vehicle. It’s something you can do with a Porsche where the pack design is unique, harder if you want the pack to transfer to ten or twenty different models. If you’re going for scale, you need every small margin.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

harperdc posted:

It probably makes the battery pack harder to use in so many models because the placement of foot rests will be different from vehicle to vehicle. It’s something you can do with a Porsche where the pack design is unique, harder if you want the pack to transfer to ten or twenty different models. If you’re going for scale, you need every small margin.

The Taycan battery is modular and the arrangement of modules could be adjusted to fit other vehicles.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Taycan battery is modular and the arrangement of modules could be adjusted to fit other vehicles.

Yep. Audi's making an RS e-tron GT from the Taycan drivetrain & battery.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Bandire posted:

Yeah I misunderstood what he meant and had to do more googling. I assumed he meant putting the displaced cells in the seat base rather than extending the battery module further back. Is this only on the Taycan at this point? EV packaging and design it still kinda new territory, so it may just be that no one else has had the time to steal it from Porsche yet.

The Leaf has had this forever though?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man I've been seeing the EQV in real life now a couple of times and my god is it one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. What were they thinking?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

pun pundit posted:

The Leaf has had this forever though?

Its funny that the 10 years the Leaf has been on the market is "forever", but it is absolutely true in the terms of the existence of actual usable EVs.

Figuring out what "foot garages" are via google was hard enough. That's why I asked if anyone else was chopping up their battery to make foot space.

I still don't see three inches of rear footwell depth as worth the added complexity. I drive a Mustang though, so the concept of comfortable back seat is foreign to me.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I ran across this series of videos the other day about the wheego LiFe- a production car from a company with aspirations of taking on Tesla but on an r&d budget of $8M and with 7 employees.

They made ~100 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwHfv4kJSQ

It is awful

He's got 13 or so videos on it from when he got it to when it, spoiler alert, dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Man I've been seeing the EQV in real life now a couple of times and my god is it one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. What were they thinking?

It looks like an updated R-Class. Maybe they wanted it to look like an ugly minivan they discontinued 8 years ago?