Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

B!

The age of kings is ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

A. We have no further need of kings, the duly elected representative is where power should reside, provided the people can recall them from office.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Middle Division

A

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

A

Holy poo poo, is that Taira going ham on Russia?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

B

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

B

China must be destroyed

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

megane posted:

B. Devolution of Powers

The correct amount of power for the head of state to have is this: he may choose what kind of lunch is to be served in the palace.

My thoughts exactly.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Viola the Mad posted:

Holy poo poo, is that Taira going ham on Russia?

Yes it is!

Most of their holdings are have very low development and income, but Chara, next to Xia and Buryatia, has 9, and Deren (the little exclave next to the Nivkh and just west of Sakhalin has 11.

Current vote totals:
A) Broaden Executive Power 6 (Crazycryodude, Iolite, Chatrapati, AJ_Impy, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad)
B) Devolution of Power 12 (Tulip, Pacho, habeasdorkus, Lord Cyrahzax, megane, HereticMIND, Xelkelvos, Rody One Half, NewMars, idhrendur, ThatBasqueGuy, Danny Glands)

Party Affiliations:

9 (Tulip, habeasdorkus, Lord Cyrahzax, Iolite, Xelkelvos, Rody One Half, NewMars, AJ_Impy, ThatBasqueGuy)

1 (Chatrapati)

8 (Crazycryodude, Pacho, megane, HereticMIND, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, idhrendur, Danny Glands)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I wouldn't mind a little exploration of those trade isles, if only to cut the teeth of greener soldier or to give poorer performing ones something to do other than act as fodder against more competent enemies.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
B No Monarchs! No Aristoes!

RagnarokZ fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 7, 2020

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

B

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 8, 2020

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

A

There are heathens everywhere, and we must be empowered to deal with them.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Albino Squirrel posted:

A

Albino Squirrel posted:

Military Aristocracy:

A

Which one of these should I count for the vote?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Kangxi posted:

Which one of these should I count for the vote?

Oh crap, Edit is not Post. The Restorationist one, please.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kangxi posted:

Yes it is!

Most of their holdings are have very low development and income, but Chara, next to Xia and Buryatia, has 9, and Deren (the little exclave next to the Nivkh and just west of Sakhalin has 11.

:stare: Taira, please. Calm the gently caress down.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
How are we losing to a bunch of fake Bonpa again!? We, the aristocracy that has held Tibet together, must take our rightful place before these folks who are so excited that they rediscovered sky burials. As if our families haven't been doing it all along, and as if it works as well on the Irrawaddy delta as it does on the plateau.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

B

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020

B. Devolution

I see that someone already beat me to the Taira update, that's what happens when you lose power.

What is going on in not-California in not-North America, does the New World have a name for each continent I am forgetting?

What is the situation in the far-West (Europe)? Who are the premier powers there?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

:stare: Taira, please. Calm the gently caress down.

It's not like there much all there anyways. Let them have Siberia. What's the worst that could happen?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

zealouscub posted:

What is going on in not-California in not-North America, does the New World have a name for each continent I am forgetting?

To many in Eurasia, not-North America is called Ixachitlān or Cemānāhuac, a term introduced from the Triple Alliance's invasion in the 11th century, although those who do not speak Nahuatl might not favor that name.

The southern part is dominated by the Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni, one of the few truly global empires of this period.

To their north are the Diné, who have lost much territory to the Purepechans after a series of protracted wars, although the Niukonska maintain their holdings there as well.

Further north are a confederation of the Séliš, and to their north, the X̱aayda.

zealouscub posted:

What is the situation in the far-West (Europe)? Who are the premier powers there?

Yorop, as the Tibetans might call it, or Awiropa, as the Anatolians might call it, has some differences from our timeline.

The British Isles have collapsed into a small patchwork of competing states, and any kind of centralized authority cannot be said to exist except in a few small places.

The Hualanitstlan have managed to retain much of their territory and autonomy despite waves of colonization to their neighbors, although their new neighbors have ambitions close to their own.

To their south are the holdings of the Tsalagihi Ayeli.

The Ayiti, once one of the foremost transoceanic empires, has lost Cuba and now is at risk of losing many of its colonies in the region.

They now face threats from Cathar Friesland and Lotharingia,

and one of the few states that survived the past few centuries in the region - Württemberg.

The south is currently embroiled in the long conflict between the Ayitians and the Norse-Berber polity of Tahert

The Norse sultanate of Mellerstafjall has also survived largely intact.

The Purepecha also have substantial holdings along the south, including some former altepetl from the Triple Alliance period. They are also neighbored by several pirate republics,

to the north and south.

The eastern part of the subcontinent many larger and more powerful political entities.

The greatest of these is Carantania. From its capital at Dunaj, this Bogomilist state rules over a substantial part of the region's territory, population, and economy. They have not engaged in open conflict with Anatolia, however, and instead have directed their armies north and to the west.

Other kingdoms of note are Lower Silesia and Poland.

In the Pripyat marshes, near Turov, is the last remnant of the Mongolians who once held all the east.

In the north, Scandinavia has been in a long decline for centuries, losing land to nearly all of its southern neighbors.

If I missed anything or got a name wrong please let me know!

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 10, 2020

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

Consolidation of Power
A) Broaden Executive Power 7 (Crazycryodude, Iolite, Chatrapati, AJ_Impy, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, Albino Squirrel)
B) Devolution of Power 16 (Tulip, Pacho, habeasdorkus, Lord Cyrahzax, megane, HereticMIND, Xelkelvos, Rody One Half, NewMars, idhrendur, ThatBasqueGuy, Danny Glands, RagnarokZ, frankenfreak, Polgas, zealouscub)

Party Affiliations:

9 (Tulip, habeasdorkus, Lord Cyrahzax, Iolite, Xelkelvos, Rody One Half, NewMars, AJ_Impy, ThatBasqueGuy)

2 (Chatrapati, Albino Squirrel)

12 (Crazycryodude, Pacho, megane, HereticMIND, QuoProQuid, Viola the Mad, idhrendur, Danny Glands, RagnarokZ, frankenfreak, Polgas, zealouscub)

Power will be devolved further to regional authority. The Middle Division retains primacy.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Kangxi posted:

In the Pripyat marshes, near Turov, is the last remnant of the Mongolians who once held all the east.

Absolutely beautiful. Byzantine holdouts in Pripyat. I love this crazy world.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
Every time I see Europe in this timeline I am astounded at how hard it got hit. Ixachitlān and Cemānāhuac, I'll have to remember those for next time.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Guper posted:

Absolutely beautiful. Byzantine holdouts in Pripyat. I love this crazy world.
R.O.M.A.N.: Call of Third Rome

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Pirate Republic :allears:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Pirate Republic :allears:

So not much different from real life, then.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 74: 1659 to 1675 - War of the Worlds

Right, here we go. We're live! Our guest today is the honorable Ah Kin Ucan, the learned. Welcome back to the Paxbolonacha Kam show. It's great to have you back, your excellency.

It's always a pleasure to be here. Thank you.

This is very timely, you know, that we've had you on here. I read the, the, uh, Lakamha Times article about minor planets and other, uh, astronomical objects in the solar system, and how many things there are in the solar system. I mean. Space is empty. It's bigger than we can imagine, it's empty, but, but within the gaps of that space, there is just so much there that we don't know about.

Exactly. It's good food for thought.

So to our listeners who don't, uh, don't know what you have done, how would you describe, uh-

I am a writer, a historian, an archaeologist, I am a theoretical physicist, I am a philosopher and a lover of knowledge. I view myself as an inquisitor, or simply a human being who is always curious about the nature of the world. Just like you.

Great, thank you. Now, this lines up with the publication of your new book. This is your third, - The Unbroken Sword. Give us the, uh-

Well. Before we start, I do want to bring up that I'm going on a book tour as well. Of about 20, 25 different cities, and I'll travel to Haida Gwaii for the first time. So if anyone wants to see this old fellow talk, they're welcome to join in. But yes, back to your point, Paxbolonacha. It's more of a collection of things. This is an investigation of ancient alien forces influencing human history. That is a recurring theme of my work.

Right.

So let's start with an example. The Tibetan Republic, the Chi-tun Gyal-khab. The 'country of common-wealth or common prosperity'. Not even nominally a democracy even by our standards, but really ruled by an aristocracy.

Like democracies now.

Not too far off.

It's a big center of trade, of financial activity.

This is around the time the grand Ayitian colonial experiment is collapsing. They're going to go through about a dozen bankruptcies in the coming decades. The Triple Alliance is coming back. Now, why is this happening? Comets. Across the pecarry constellation. In 1661, observers in the foreign and exotic city of Gdansk, in far-off Carantania, see something they've never seen before - seven suns in the sky, and a rainbow halo. This is a sign by extraterrestrial powers, and they slowly, systematically, tear Ayiti apart. Natural disasters, rebellions. This is a warning sign. They've upset the established cyclical order.

Wow.

But, Paxbolonacha, my friend, the Tibetans on the other hand -- they're building up their navy. Naval construction had been expanded greatly.

Now the previous explanation for this... the one that the elites want you to read, is that this is all about trade and the shipment of goods. Blocking off and controlling trade routes. I know this because I am from the aristocracy, I have my sources, even though the elites have tried to shun me.

Getting goods from Bengal to all over the world at this point. The Ganges Delta is at this point a much wealthier region than the Tibetan plateau. So why does the Republic continue to rule from Lhasa at this point? And why does Tibet act the way it does?

The traditional - the simple, the previously accepted explanation was - that great naval empires had competed against each other for trade routes.

So. This is the whole Indian Rim area. Unbelievably wealthy for the time.

That's correct.

Now Dali. Which looks like it was going to be the one to finally reunite China after centuries of fragmentation, collapses. Why is this?

Why do the Tibetans, instead of seizing this opportunity, go off to expand into these distant islands? The answer - and I'm bringing up the conclusion of my book early - was that it was extraterrestrial forces that sought to shape human history.

Wow.

The Tibetans moved on Madagascar because it was a staging point for extraterrestrial contact. Madagascar was one of the last places settled by humans in all of its histories. Why was this? Why does their biology - all the flora and fauna of the region - exist in Madagascar but nowhere else? There is no easy explanation for this.

No way.

Why did the Anatolians seize so many ancient sites? It's simple - to gain control of the ancient structures of the region - that predated most human civilization - and so curry favor with their extraterrestrial masters. The elites see this as the way for breaking out of the failed state of humanity. They did this now because of their calendar - their ancient and mysterious calendar, that was set up by extraterrestrials as a reminder of their return.

The Tibetans have their own systems of course - I'll get to those in a minute - but their changes of power are predetermined in accordance with their ancient system.

So they know the results of everything before it happens. The illusion of choice. That's deep.

They take over the island over the course of a year, in 1662. They keep the western coast for themselves but leave the interior. Why is that? The western half is all they need. It's the staging point, and the terrarium, this wonderful garden, for extraterrestrial entities.

(Ix Chal changes the background image to some rather ordinary and well-kept baobabs.)

They continue to prepare for further expeditions, and exert their control over the new territory.

The Sacred Tibetan Empire, goes on as it always has. They have lost contact. The Lhasa Tibetans - they have other plans.

They design and build new vessels - all attempts to travel the maximum distance possible - trying to break out of the limitations that their world and society have placed upon them.

They pacify - they attempt to pacify - the environment around them by-.

Wait, wait a minute. Slow down, your excellency. Why are they-

I will get to that, in time. With patience, all questions will be answered.

There are moments, there are places in history, where all will work at breakneck speed to capture and understand the flaws of the mind and the soul, and correct them to inherent perfection. The frontier expands.

To uncover the secrets of the past, where all lived and strived towards a common goal.

Wow.

In uncovering the secrets of the earth, and in being able to seize its fruits, humankind is now at the point where we understand the trillions of years of history of the earth-

Wait. Excuse me. Isn't the earth billions of years old?

Who told you that? You must be skeptical of everything.

Excuse me. I didn't mean to interrupt.

No harm done.

But we must always question and debate everything, and that is how knowledge is formed.

Let me turn back to my previous story - the entire Tibetan army stationed in Madagascar - some 7,000 troops and many guns - all vanish without a trace. Why did that happen? The answer is that they left - they ascended.

With them went the elected head of the Tibetan republic, and he went up along with them. His death is faked. I have an image here.

Ix Chal, put it up. [A rather ordinary rock carving of a man wearing a helmet appears.]

Look at this - the shape of this round helmet. See how it's like those worn by those people who supposedly went on the 'first' spacewalks? What explanation is there for this? The Tibetans were astronauts.

Wow.

Now, the new Tibetan Lonpo - the one out of these supposedly random elections - he's a charismatic war leader named Nyingpo Zangtsa. He is 'elected' in 1668. He is a veteran of many battles both here and on other planes of existence. I've read the original Tibetan myself, that's what it says.

He is entrusted by alien powers to obscure present troubles, avoid internal disputes, and paper things over.

He reorganizes the Tibetan army. Look at this etching of army maneuvers. See these patterns here? Who else could come up with these geometric patterns?

They move on Tidore a few years later. The conventional explanation is to seize valuable land and spices.

Just part and parcel of trade disputes and imperialism - the boring slog they feed you. Nothing remarkable about that history is told to you.

Just like they don't tell you about weather control.

But the Tibetans, so the history goes, win the war easily, take the little islands one by one,

winning the routine victories in battle, and so on.

They do not describe in detail the king and army they defeat, and I shall tell you why. The war itself was faked. This was another attempt to meet an alien intelligence.

What looks like another war can be explained by these means and these motives.

All over human history - the Anatolians, the Ethiopians, civilizations going back centuries - this is what happens. This is the prime cause.

Why so many empires hope to seize such disparate areas.

It is for their own benefit, but for something far more than material gain.

Purgyal Gyalyum was an extraterrestrial being - one of a select few, like Timur, Lasya the Holy, Qin Shi Huang in that part of the world. Gyalyum has appeared on this earth multiple times and in various guises and forms in order to shape human history, directly or indirectly.

Wow.

Wait, so who was her wife then? The Pakmodru Tse-, who, uh-

She was a human woman who was granted immortality for her love and devotion through alien technology. She is alive somewhere - possibly on this world, or another.

Ahhhh. Hey Ix Chal, put up that gorilla footage again. This is probably how the aliens see us.

A very perceptive comparison.

But now we see this standardization, this control over society develop,

And this is, in my view, where extraterrestrial control reasserts itself.

In that ancient conflict between the nomadic and the hunter-gatherer, between the human and the inhuman, and all forms of society, it continues.

Where ancient enemies of humankind can be defeated - diseases, may soon be wiped out if we unlock their secrets.

But there is a conflict of thought between us and then, and I admit I cannot have all the answers.

We are not so helpless; this is a journey that risks the dark.

All of us, including myself, were slaves to societal programming and we must cast it off.

Victory is not yet impossible. And we all find something to devote ourselves to. If you ever find anyone who is a truly independent spirit, I'd like to meet them, they'd be one of a select few in all human history.

For rebellion is still possible.

The war goes on in human history.

There is yet some perfection that we may reach - I, in my life, have only found traces of what might be.

It is a hard lot; that those who disagree with us have power; that those who agree with us are all insane. But we are not those people who see the end of the calendar and think that it is the end of the world. We're not like a young child, who, when they lose sight of a favorite toy, think it lost forever.

We keep trying, Paxbolonacha. We keep trying.

There has to be something more than this slow decline and repetition,

And the decay of empires.

Wow. Time for a commercial break. Ix Chal, let's get the...

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

Wow.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wow

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kangxi posted:

Getting goods from Bengal to all over the world at this point. The Ganges Delta is at this point a much wealthier region than the Tibetan plateau. So why does the Republic continue to rule from Lhasa at this point? And why does Tibet act the way it does? [...]

Why do the Tibetans, instead of seizing this opportunity, go off to expand into these distant islands? The answer - and I'm bringing up the conclusion of my book early - was that it was extraterrestrial forces that sought to shape human history.

:thunk:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

I appreciate this subtle callout. :v:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Now I'm wondering what Ah Kin Ucan's hair look like.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Ah Kin Ucan has a point, how else can you explain the monumental constructions in Awiropa? The Red Jugs civilization might have been good potters but the Kolo Seom in Roma is way beyond those iron people's technology, and the size of it... An alien landing pad? Food for thought

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
This was a bit meta in the best of ways.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pacho posted:

Ah Kin Ucan has a point, how else can you explain the monumental constructions in Awiropa? The Red Jugs civilization might have been good potters but the Kolo Seom in Roma is way beyond those iron people's technology, and the size of it... An alien landing pad? Food for thought
Well if we cite the EXTENSIVE Malian records, we have plenty of historical record of the Empire that actually built all of this. Islamic scholars preserved much of pre-Norse and Western Invasion Awiropan writings! This isn't a mystery!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Well if we cite the EXTENSIVE Malian records, we have plenty of historical record of the Empire that actually built all of this. Islamic scholars preserved much of pre-Norse and Western Invasion Awiropan writings! This isn't a mystery!

I'm aware of history, thank you very much! But if you do you must also be aware that the simple gentlefolk of pre-norse and pre-western Awiropa were a kind, pastoral people, living in Villas, rural, comfortable dwellings, that were easily overpowered by the more developed people of the west and the warlike northern women. How could these shepherds and winemakers could have made monumental constructions? Their villas are lovely, I spent a summer in one doing experiential tourism, but the monumental buildings and acqueducts are unlike anything else in Awiropa until the arrival of western stoneworking. Surely, if the Awiropans had developed this technology on their own it wouldn't have been lost by the time civilization arrived on their shores. The only explanation that makes sense? Aliens

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
VOTE: 1676

It is a good year, as there have been many good years. The constituent members of the Drötsok, when they meet, are in a cheerful mood. Their clothes are fresh and colorful, their jewelry splendid, their braids and topknots immaculate. The aristocrats and merchants chat amicably about affairs of state, though most take the time to catch up about family business and talk about the pursuits of nobility - gambling, mercantile affairs, archery, retelling stories of a wrestling match, or horseback shooting.

The problems of the republic's holdings are far away,

and news of the world trickles in every so often.

Dali, what was once the most serious candidate to reunite all of China and form a new hegemony, has been defeated by its neighbors; the threat of a new predominant power in the region had caused much worry.

Even more of interest is who has defeated them - the Heavenly Parliament of Changsheng - an absolute monarchy with its own parliament.

For now, the ruling nobility of Tibet, for all their backgrounds and historical grievances, see little reason to indulge in more violent turmoil at home,

but maintain the peace and prosperity that have prevailed over the past few years.

In recent years, the wise and learned of the Republic have dared to talk openly about the idea of a kingdom ruled by fundamental laws; a continuation of the ancient codes of Gyalyum I, the manifestation of war and justice; and her wife, the manifestation of divine scripture. These laws would be kept constant and consistently over all souls in the republic. What they do not say aloud, but hope to implement, is to augment a system ruled by divinely chosen individuals and the continuity of that sacred office; and perhaps to preserve the consensus that has been so carefully built up over the past decades. The idea is that powers would stay devolved over time; that the government itself embodied by an individual yet administered by many.

Choose ONE of the following ideas. Anything that isn't greyed out is an available option:

With the continuing decentralization of power, another matter has made itself clear:

Should Tibet delegate more powers to the Drötsok? YES or NO.

This is complicated so I'll explain what I mean. If yes wins, thread voters can form their own parties, focused on specific issues or representative of specific groups. Each party will have a single spokesman which will present one policy. Everyone in the thread can vote on these policies, whether or not they are a party member. One person, one vote. Any policy that wins a majority vote will be enacted for a 10 year period unless otherwise specified. I'll reserve the right to veto any nonsensical or just spiteful legislation but aside from that anything goes - I'll be sure to let you know if a voting proposal can't work out. Voting periods will last for 72 hours (3 days) after I call a vote.

Parliamentary policies will be broad but direct and I, the player, will follow them. For example: reassigning trade merchants, rise claims on and go to war with a specific country or 'any country in a specific region', acquire more foreign colonies in a certain region, convert provinces, go to war with a specific country, etc. In short, I'm hoping to thread the needle of adding a parliamentary system but one that isn't so overwhelming to follow or manage. I've been thinking about doing this for some time in the LP, and the continued decentralization of power plus the development of constitutionalism makes this the right place to do it. But it's your call.

All policies must be tied to direct in-game actions (e.g. relocate merchants, go to war, change province culture). While I reserve the right to mod in events in response to developments and votes and post about events that I've already modded in, I will not accept policies that aim to mod in specific events.

Should the republic be overthrown, of course, the parliament is dissolved and may not come again until it is restored. If the no vote wins, then I'll assign parties and votes as before.

I'm welcome to more feedback about this idea so I don't do it in a clumsy way - I am well aware parliamentary LPs are not for everyone but I'll hope to keep the actual play posts separate so anyone else can follow them.

The vote will conclude on Wednesday, December 23rd, at 9 PM EST.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
More delegation!

Led to the best parts of byzlp, as far as I'm concerned, so do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Yess :getin:

And also, a vote for Humanist Ideas. We must carry the torch of enlightment

Pacho fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 20, 2020