Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ric posted:

We call those clouds. They're a mass of visible water droplets suspended in the atmosphere.

It looks like a mural. Same for one of the pipes the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ric posted:

Is this a scanned print or scanned negative?

Scanned negative.

theHUNGERian posted:

It looks like a mural. Same for one of the pipes the right.

Maybe ANR glass pattern coming through?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 7, 2020

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Nice lumps my man

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cherry Creek Park by B. B., on Flickr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DJI_0303.jpg
by Matt F, on Flickr

DJI_0300.jpg
by Matt F, on Flickr

DJI_0308.jpg
by Matt F, on Flickr

DJI_0312.jpg
by Matt F, on Flickr

DJI_0284.jpg
by Matt F, on Flickr

DJI_0321.jpg
by Matt F, on Flickr

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 8, 2020

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 9, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

window shopping

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost posted:

window shopping

Both of these rule

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

The sky looks over saturated and it's a bit distracting having it be different colours in each photo.

I think I can see what you're going for, particularly in the first photo, but to be honest I'm pretty confused by the second one. Would you mind explaining what you were trying to accomplish there?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Megabound posted:

Both of these rule

ty

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Health Services posted:

The sky looks over saturated and it's a bit distracting having it be different colours in each photo.

I think I can see what you're going for, particularly in the first photo, but to be honest I'm pretty confused by the second one. Would you mind explaining what you were trying to accomplish there?

Hmm, the 2nd one is the only one I like I think, and I just liked the play of the shadows on the wall.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Health Services posted:

the implication of the dishes on another roof is cool

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
I liked the second one of that bunch as well. I'd be interested to see if there would have been a way to keep/follow more of the shadow of the roof line further to the left where it's cut off by the cars.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

These are rad

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 10, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ansel autisms posted:

i've been thinking a lot about this joel meyerowitz interview answer lately:

Thanks for posting this link, it's a great read. One thing that stuck out to me is Meyerowitz describing the feeling of walking into some "zone" of "energy" that you just feel is right, and taking the picture there. He touches upon it in the quote you mentioned I think, mentioning how a smell can lead to a photo, even though it's not something visual. I feel like I have those moments where I step into an area that resonates with me and I feel like something about the area tells me there's a photo there. However, I also feel like I talk myself out of those photos more often than not, even as I'm actively trying to shoot them. It feels like I'll either spend far too much time trying to find the ~*perfect*~ composition and thus spend way too much time looking at the frame and the scene and wind up disliking it and losing that moment that grabbed me, or I'll rush things trying to avoid spending too much time on it and thus wind up with sloppy shots that I look back on and wonder what I even saw in the scene in the first place.

I think when I'm shooting digital I tend to go too fast and loose and get sloppy shots, since my number of shots are practically unlimited. Conversely, with film I tend to over-analyze the scene to the point of going numb to it and often just not shooting it at all - since I don't want to "waste" film, especially with large format. Every time I've gone out to shoot for probably the last two months, I bring my large format and my digital with me, and I always wind up over-analyzing scenes so I never take my 4x5 out of my backpack. So instead I wind up shooting with my digital camera and end up being too impulsive and don't turn out anything good there either. Reading Meyerowitz describe using a view camera almost like a 35mm makes me think I need to stop talking myself out of the film shots, and the nature of 4x5 will hopefully slow me down to the point of not being sloppy. Maybe I'll just wind up taking tons of generic soulless photos and wasting tons of money on sheet film, but I think it's probably necessary to help me find "my voice" for lack of a better term.

Obviously this is just something I need to spend time practicing with, but it's fun to discuss, and this interview helped me reflect on my own photographic process. Thanks again for posting it!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I think it's definitely important to pay attention to that instinct, after all photography is very visceral and deals in these kinds of ephemeral feelings - it only makes sense that feeling "charged" when looking at a scene will (hopefully) translate to the photos made there.

I've been having similar problems, I suppose. I'll find a scene that seems right up my alley but I get overwhelmed with the amount of ways to shoot it and I can't seem to get a good shot that also captures the way I feel about it. I think it's important to try, regardless, so maybe digital might be the way to go if you're really unsure.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 10, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like this. I can’t tell if it’s taken at head height with a normal camera or from 50 feet up with a drone or something. It’s very hard to pin down

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you can't find that middle ground between taking an hour to set up a shot with your view camera and machine gunning everything with a DSLR, try incorporating your tripod into the workflow. Get a geared head and use the tripod for every single shot even if you could do it handheld, force yourself to spend 5 minutes taking a photo.

Or drop your bag on the ground to anchor yourself to a specific location, then hang out for five minutes looking at stuff. If something caught your eye enough to make you consider taking a picture there's almost certainly something to shoot there, but getting it recorded effectively requires slowing down and studying.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love the colours in this one. Just kinda wish the horizon had been lower in frame, otherwise I think composition is very good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If there wasn't a hill in the background I'd think that was taken at a tallgrass prairie preserve near me in northern Illinois. I still did a doubletake.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

xzzy posted:

If there wasn't a hill in the background I'd think that was taken at a tallgrass prairie preserve near me in northern Illinois. I still did a doubletake.

It's by downtown Toronto.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Health Services posted:

It's by downtown Toronto.

Lol I knew it. First thing I thought was pippit point.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat
^I dig the layers and lines on that one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mmm yes. Love the low contrast, muted colours and reflected sky. Also the way the sharp dark reflected trees in the lower right contrast with the soft, smudgy brown actual trees in the upper left.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 14, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 15, 2020

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Trying to figure out the right level of bringing up the buildings without creating a ton of detail that distracts from the sky. Normally I leave everything but the sky black but I wanted to try something new because I already have a million contre jour sky pictures