Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I hope chuds die of horrible cases of coronavirus and I’m tired of pretending it’s not okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: RUDY'S IN THE HOSPITAL :siren:

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1335696508507840512

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RFC2324 posted:

yup. its gonna correct the climate into killing us all

Strictly speaking it makes less CO2 per volume of fuel than clean burns do
Because it's all soot particulates instead

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
The fearsome, unstoppable right wing death squads, literally ripped from WH40k and Jin Roh combined, chanting "gently caress ANTIFA", "AMERICA FIRST" between each desperate gasp for oxygen while their lung-tubes narrow even tighter.

Truly :matters:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Strictly speaking it makes less CO2 per volume of fuel than clean burns do
Because it's all soot particulates instead

CO isn't really the nuisance part of diesel anyhow, it's NOX that's the concern there.

I love that our solution to NOX has been to inject high pressure piss mist into diesel exhaust.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, I couldn't remember if soot increases NOX emissions so I didn't mention it. And piss - good for Trump, good for your exhaust!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/BudKennedy/status/1335566158251110405?s=19

In funny news

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Fetterman believes the exposure timing is consistent with the Gettysburg rally.

https://twitter.com/JohnFetterman/status/1335706348089188352?s=20

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But why is that bad, given the context of the characterization? Is dehumanization inherently bad, or only in the context of bigotry?

Yes, it's inherently bad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Fetterman believes the exposure timing is consistent with the Gettysburg rally.

https://twitter.com/JohnFetterman/status/1335706348089188352?s=20

Yep, I think he’s dead on. One of our special needs Reps got it the same time.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PeterCat posted:

That's where we'll have to disagree. If someone chooses to live their life in a way that oppresses other people, I really don't give a poo poo about decorum when it comes to talking about them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

For reference, Greg Abbott uses a wheelchair.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

PeterCat posted:

If the CHUD's entire point of view is heavily based in exceptionalism, it is only equitable to make an exception for them on this point.

(Also in the movie the CHUDs were all people without homes forced to seek shelter in the subways and tunnels beneath a city where they were subjected to horrific mutations due to a corporation just dumping random radioactive toxic goo and the government colluded with the corporation to allow it and cover it up so, you know, irony. Maybe we should just call them chumps instead? Cannibalistic Hateful Ulterior of the Mass Political Spectacle, if it has to be an acronym. C.H.U.M.P.S.)

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 7, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

For further reference he’s a shithead. let’s be honest we all have watched that Mac and the clip and thought of him... because he such a repellent piece of poo poo, that was a tourney general somehow manages too top it and he owes our lieutenant governor $2 million in Sheetz gift cards.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's where we'll have to disagree. If someone chooses to live their life in a way that oppresses other people, I really don't give a poo poo about decorum when it comes to talking about them.

If its only decorum, then its not inherent. If I understand PeterCat's position, the inheritance has nothing to do with etiquette, but with belief and espousal. Belief in whether some humans are beneath common human dignity and the act of espousing those belief in order to convince others that there exists a class of subhuman.

One can violate the first component and therefore commit what is claimed by the previous poster to be an immoral act and still be within the bounds of decorum because the violation is that of belief. While treating other people as human is the common etiquette, you can violate the second half, espousal without breaching etiquette, as evidenced by, you know, all of American history.

Based on this, the issue is separate from that one decorum. The issue is of belief in the subhuman and in convincing others to treat others as subhuman.

I dont expect you to agree with that--based on your statements, I expect that you believe that transgressions make someone worthy or not of being treated as a human and that the moral failings of the "chuds" to earn them this unworthy role is that they did not properly assess who to dehumanize, not the act in general. Is that correct?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think we can all agree that if someone can do it Darrell Davis job on a CHUD, Nazi, or KKK member that is cool as poo poo to. So maybe there is some room for a certain type of decorum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Coal rolling at least is a self-correcting problem

Kinda. It'll seize up their piston rings eventually through carbon buildup.

But it also contributes heavily to childhood asthma :smith:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Kinda. It'll seize up their piston rings eventually through carbon buildup.

But it also contributes heavily to childhood asthma :smith:

Like I said even lol’ing at Rudy or Trump is tempered by all the decent honest people they infected or also murdered. :smith:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/parkerbutler10/status/1335708706701512704?s=20

This is most R Senators who want to be Culture Warriors owning the libs on social media instead of doing policy whatnot

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For further reference he’s a shithead. let’s be honest we all have watched that Mac and the clip and thought of him... because he such a repellent piece of poo poo, that was a tourney general somehow manages too top it and he owes our lieutenant governor $2 million in Sheetz gift cards.

Even better, he got into an accident that resulted in a multi million dollar settlement, used that to launch himself into a political career, and has been trying to pull up the ladder via "tort reform" since.

piL posted:

I dont expect you to agree with that--based on your statements, I expect that you believe that transgressions make someone worthy or not of being treated as a human and that the moral failings of the "chuds" to earn them this unworthy role is that they did not properly assess who to dehumanize, not the act in general. Is that correct?

That's exactly it. I think someone can forfeit their humanity through their choices and actions. People who spit on equal rights and democracy can reasonably and morally be called chuds or pigs, depending on whether they have a badge or not, because they can always choose to be decent people and have decided to forfeit that option for the whole oppression thing. But calling someone an animal because of the circumstances of their birth is immoral dehumanization.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Stultus Maximus posted:

Do rich and well connected people even die of this any more?

Depends on your definition of rich.

My parent's church, which is full of old people who are well off, is getting wrecked.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even better, he got into an accident that resulted in a multi million dollar settlement, used that to launch himself into a political career, and has been trying to pull up the ladder via "tort reform" since.

Yeah gently caress Cowboys fans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

dudes may die of it. he is in worse shape than trump somehow.

Stultus Maximus posted:

so am i and i still laughed. i mean no poo poo chuds are ablisst fuckheads. of course known on the ground war criminal allen west says that poo poo.

i will say its funny how all the wheelchairbound chuds i have heard of were never actually born with disabilities, they got them from accidents or being dumb assholes that resulted in accidents.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dudes may die of it. he is in worse shape than trump somehow.

You know that price of poo poo is going to get experimental treatment. If he got standard care offered to a normal American or a minorities his rear end would be in truck in 72 hours.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i will say its funny how all the wheelchairbound chuds i have heard of were never actually born with disabilities, they got them from accidents or being dumb assholes that resulted in accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4VaY7xCmRE

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think we can all agree that if someone can do it Darrell Davis job on a CHUD, Nazi, or KKK member that is cool as poo poo to. So maybe there is some room for a certain type of decorum.

I dont know what a Darrell Davis job is, but, in theory, I dont really take moral qualms with being mean to people who are mean to others as long as it there are appropriate brakes before causing undue harm and its applied to those who have demonstrated the behavior, not those that belong to a clade of individuals similar to others. I suspect many people aren't concerned with being terribly rigorous with the second of my qualifications and I worry if caught in the wrong situation, they'll be normalized to not worry about the first.

From a practical argument though I dont think the tactic is effective. It best serves to create an isolated and damaged class who finds their socially enforced position justified whenever they try to interact with "the other".

Because they're forever tied to that other group based on their birth location and rearing, along with all of their social connections, those people have to completely isolated during a pivotal period in their life to be extracted. The socioeconomic means of that extraction, moving from rural area to the city for economic, social, or educational reasons in small groups, or personal deep review of literature independent of social group, will not outstrip the the recruitment rate. Especially since there's power in playing them against that "other".

It's a recipe for continuous conflict or continued friction within the political system and a schism thats geographically messy and very dangerous.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Staten Island’s hottest club is... MAC’S PUB.

It’s got everything- illegal parties in contravention of COVID restrictions, NYPD surveillance, Proud Boys, the owner driving for three blocks with a cop clinging on for dear life, and rabid Trump supporters!

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-macs-pub-owner-arrested-hits-deputy-car-20201206-q7evw2qyx5di3d7l34tjlyzdra-story.html

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Or a flat refusal to manage their diabetes.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's exactly it. I think someone can forfeit their humanity through their choices and actions. People who spit on equal rights and democracy can reasonably and morally be called chuds or pigs, depending on whether they have a badge or not, because they can always choose to be decent people and have decided to forfeit that option for the whole oppression thing. But calling someone an animal because of the circumstances of their birth is immoral dehumanization.

Where I see the moral risk here first is that one will make that assessment without sufficient data for many people fairly easily. I.e. all of those people are x, because they are very similar to the y who clearly wronged me. Things become fuzzy when you're defininf groups of real people and not dealing with famous ones with well established records or hypotheticals. One is likely to put people in that category based on unproven connections. This is part of the path that got them there to begin with, and so that path is demonstrably fraught.

The second moral issue to consider is that, based on location, economic backgrounds, social structures, quality of schools and curriculum, the supporters of those who have been demonstrated as meeting your sufficient conditions did not choose the circumstances of their birth that led to their beliefs, erroneous or not. So if you conflate the demagogues and their supporters, you may very well assign this value to individuals who are at fault for listening to nearly every authority figure, loved one, and peer in their early lives instead of having a rebellious streak and finding the right corner of the internet or were sufficiently antisocial enough to arrive at conclusions in opposition to these influences through other means of personal exploration. This is not dissimilar to blaming someone for the circumstances of their birth.

I dont know who you refer to when you define your groups of course, but I think its very easy to cross into the other. I think this is the moral justification some will use to say that its never moral to think of people like that--because of how easy it is to stray off the cleanly defined, "morally justified" range of derision.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/parkerbutler10/status/1335708706701512704?s=20

This is most R Senators who want to be Culture Warriors owning the libs on social media instead of doing policy whatnot

Cool. They should ask Ossof if he supports marijuana legalization or single payer.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

piL posted:

I dont know what a Darrell Davis job is, but, in theory, I dont really take moral qualms with being mean to people who are mean to others as long as it there are appropriate brakes before causing undue harm and its applied to those who have demonstrated the behavior, not those that belong to a clade of individuals similar to others. I suspect many people aren't concerned with being terribly rigorous with the second of my qualifications and I worry if caught in the wrong situation, they'll be normalized to not worry about the first.

From a practical argument though I dont think the tactic is effective. It best serves to create an isolated and damaged class who finds their socially enforced position justified whenever they try to interact with "the other".

Because they're forever tied to that other group based on their birth location and rearing, along with all of their social connections, those people have to completely isolated during a pivotal period in their life to be extracted. The socioeconomic means of that extraction, moving from rural area to the city for economic, social, or educational reasons in small groups, or personal deep review of literature independent of social group, will not outstrip the the recruitment rate. Especially since there's power in playing them against that "other".

It's a recipe for continuous conflict or continued friction within the political system and a schism thats geographically messy and very dangerous.

I totally understand, but when a black man ends up with a Klan members robe...it feels like the greatest victory of all. I just...I dunno maybe it’s being Jewish and a lawyer and traditionally being regarded as weak in the American political system (barring Meyer Lansky) that a man who broke a Klan members defense makes him the greatest hero of all. Maybe not the most effective, but still the ultimate victory of wits. I should add that this assumes the person hasn’t done something repulsive and vile.

Daryl Davis convinced klan members to give up the Klan and got to keep their robes. Something about that owns so loving hard.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 7, 2020

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1335763321027502081?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
aaaaaaand there it is

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/1335764756083449856

serves them all right

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I totally understand, but when a black man ends up with a Klan members robe...it feels like the greatest victory of all. I just...I dunno maybe it’s being Jewish and a lawyer and traditionally being regarded as weak in the American political system (barring Meyer Lansky) that a man who broke a Klan members defense makes him the greatest hero of all. Maybe not the most effective, but still the ultimate victory of wits. I should add that this assumes the person hasn’t done something repulsive and vile.

Daryl Davis convinced klan members to give up the Klan and got to keep their robes. Something about that owns so loving hard.

Oh yeah, now that I spelled the name right, I found not a basketball player from the 60s, but this guy. And thats the thread of my argument from practicality. The Atlantic article suggests that treating them as human was key to those results.

Daryl Davis to The Atlantic posted:

You challenge them. But you don't challenge them rudely or violently. You do it politely and intelligently. And when you do things that way chances are they will reciprocate and give you a platform. So he and I would sit down and listen to one another over a period of time. And the cement that held his ideas together began to get cracks in it. And then it began to crumble. And then it fell apart.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

piL posted:

Oh yeah, now that I spelled the name right, I found not a basketball player from the 60s, but this guy. And thats the thread of my argument from practicality. The Atlantic article suggests that treating them as human was key to those results.

Yep, I respect that approach a hell of a lot. I mean I’m more a fan of a Billy club to the knee, so god bless any man who can reach and convert them. They’re like the top tier of humanity.

Also there is something about a black man having that many Klan robes is the biggest power fantasy since Doom.

Honestly as an attorney that man is the model of what I should always strive to be.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

piL posted:

Where I see the moral risk here first is that one will make that assessment without sufficient data for many people fairly easily. I.e. all of those people are x, because they are very similar to the y who clearly wronged me. Things become fuzzy when you're defininf groups of real people and not dealing with famous ones with well established records or hypotheticals. One is likely to put people in that category based on unproven connections. This is part of the path that got them there to begin with, and so that path is demonstrably fraught.

The second moral issue to consider is that, based on location, economic backgrounds, social structures, quality of schools and curriculum, the supporters of those who have been demonstrated as meeting your sufficient conditions did not choose the circumstances of their birth that led to their beliefs, erroneous or not. So if you conflate the demagogues and their supporters, you may very well assign this value to individuals who are at fault for listening to nearly every authority figure, loved one, and peer in their early lives instead of having a rebellious streak and finding the right corner of the internet or were sufficiently antisocial enough to arrive at conclusions in opposition to these influences through other means of personal exploration. This is not dissimilar to blaming someone for the circumstances of their birth.

I dont know who you refer to when you define your groups of course, but I think its very easy to cross into the other. I think this is the moral justification some will use to say that its never moral to think of people like that--because of how easy it is to stray off the cleanly defined, "morally justified" range of derision.

You are basically writing out my thoughts.

My conclusions have been that anyone in that class is not worth compromising my principles for and I do the best to avoid it. I also work with a lot of Trump supporters and Republicans and can't just ignore them. I have to build a level of trust to be effective as a leader and manager and attach importance to their well being and believe in them as people because of this. Finally, I need to set an example for those around me to follow and push standards to be upheld.

Hypocrisy is a sin here so working through stuff this stuff here helps. There are perfectly valid reasons to believe differently and I was debating the other side as well.. Thanks guys.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Noted YouTube dipshit Logan Paul has called out Floyd Mayweather and will likely get his rear end beaten in February.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

Noted YouTube dipshit Logan Paul has called out Floyd Mayweather and will likely get his rear end beaten in February.
“Likely”

Honestly it’s amazing that Logan Paul can make a guy who beats women look like the moral superior.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://nypost.com/2020/12/06/si-autonomous-zone-bar-owner-released-from-custody/

Why this dude wasn't wasted by the cops isn't beyond me, why he was released isn't either.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://nypost.com/2020/12/06/si-autonomous-zone-bar-owner-released-from-custody/

Why this dude wasn't wasted by the cops isn't beyond me, why he was released isn't either.

Honestly I think even Commie would have been chill with the cops opening up on him with everything that had.

Seriously would have saved a lot of money too.