Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Are these nips or actual bites? Is he exhibiting any warning behavior or going straight to biting? 5 weeks isn’t a super long time so he is still adjusting, especially if he’s been shipped around a bit.

Blood drawing bites with wild snarling. I got a pretty nasty one on my hand the first week that is just now healed. There will be a growl for maybe a second before he flips, and when we've noticed it it's very quiet. I've dealt with a mouthy dachshund before but it's like he loses control when he does this. I'm hoping it's just adjusting to living in a house with humans instead of a shelter with dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Schwza posted:

Blood drawing bites with wild snarling. I got a pretty nasty one on my hand the first week that is just now healed. There will be a growl for maybe a second before he flips, and when we've noticed it it's very quiet. I've dealt with a mouthy dachshund before but it's like he loses control when he does this. I'm hoping it's just adjusting to living in a house with humans instead of a shelter with dogs.

Ohhhh, yikes. Is food around when he does this? It does sound like an adjustment issue, but I’m not an expert. We’ve fostered (and adopted) a bunch of puppies from varying backgrounds and my general rule of thumb is 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months as milestones of who the dog really is. You’re right in the middle of that so it’s hard to say. Definitely stop any playing or petting immediately when he bites. If it doesn’t improve you may need to bring in a trainer to evaluate.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Schwza posted:

Having some trouble with a 8mo dog my wife and I rescued about 5 weeks ago. He was born in a shelter, transferred, adopted, and surrendered before he came to us(some of this was obscured when we initially got him). He's good around people, at least in this quarantine lifestyle, and walks great in a pack. Our other dog was a couch potato for the last few years and he addition has really livened her up, she loves playing with the puppy. The problem is he keeps biting us. He can go from a loving, wiggly puppy to a feral dog in seconds and there are few links in the behavior. He can't be in the bedroom as he seeks and resource guards socks or the bed. He has some sleep aggression and does not like being woken up and can fly into a rage if he is jostled when he is dosing. My wife is upset and frustrated because he bit her twice today. I can still train this out of him, right?

the culprit

You need the help of a veterinary behaviorist. An 8 month old puppy regularly drawing blood biting is super not normal and you need serious help. Most veterinary behaviorists are doing telemedicine appointments now but you may need to talk to your regular vet about getting a referral. This isn't something for a trainer, you need a certified veterinary behaviorist before someone gets more seriously injured.

I don't make it seem to sound dire but it sounds like he's got something not right and might need medical intervention. A trainer isn't the right fit for a dog with those issues. In the meantime is he ok in a crate? I'd be working real hard to get him napping in a crate so you can't accidentally wake him and get bit and work on "trade" games with low value items to begin working on the resource guarding. But really you need help with your buddy.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
He's good in a crate. We have him pretty well trained to go in it now but occasionally he needs a treat to coax him in. The trainer we are working with mentioned something about a behaviorist but the one we worked with from the shelter just kind of brushed us off.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Riatsala posted:

My pup is driving me a little nuts by whining first thing in the morning every morning.

Every evening I walk him around 11 PM, then crate him as I settle into bed. I get up on an 8 AM alarm every morning, but by 7 AM he's whining and crying nonstop until I let him roam freely. He sleeps through the night just fine, doesn't otherwise seem to mind the crate, and the crate is all of 5 feet away from the bed, so I don't know what the big deal is. I used to try to hush him until 8, then I tried ignoring him, but neither seems to have any effect. Is 9 hours overnight too long to spend in a crate? He's held his pee for longer, and when I do let him out he seems disinterested in actually going outside.

Went through something similar recently. Mine's a little younger, so YMMV but yes I think 9 hours is really pushing it for a pup at that age. But you can at least start by teaching him that whining gets him nothing more than a 2 minute shot at the bathroom before it's back in the crate. When he wines, take him out, but make it a very non-energetic interaction. No treats except if he pees, avoid eye contact, face away from him. It shouldn't feel like a walk. After 2 minutes bring him back in and put him in the crate whether he pees or not. If he starts whining again, give him a few minutes before taking him back out and repeating the process. The goal is to reinforce to him that "the only thing whining gets you is a chance to pee".

If you have a yard, bring him out on a lead so he can't just wander off and enjoy himself. We've had good results being consistent with this method (which is pretty standard stuff). Keep in mind, part of that also means organizing clothes/leads/harness/shoes ect in anyway that we can pop up and get him outside as soon as he starts whining. FWIW Having everything set and ready to go also makes the experience much less frustrating from our end, because we aren't fumbling around for clothes and poo poo at 5am. It's also just putting yourself in the mental space of not expecting him to make it to 9am or whatever so you're not frustrated when he doesn't.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Schwza posted:

He's good in a crate. We have him pretty well trained to go in it now but occasionally he needs a treat to coax him in. The trainer we are working with mentioned something about a behaviorist but the one we worked with from the shelter just kind of brushed us off.

Sounds like the shelter really isn't doing their due diligence between this and the fact that they didn't give you the details of his full history. Sorry you're having such a tough time, and I hope a strong intervention from a vet behaviourist can help you guys out.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Riatsala posted:

My pup is driving me a little nuts by whining first thing in the morning every morning.

Every evening I walk him around 11 PM, then crate him as I settle into bed. I get up on an 8 AM alarm every morning, but by 7 AM he's whining and crying nonstop until I let him roam freely. He sleeps through the night just fine, doesn't otherwise seem to mind the crate, and the crate is all of 5 feet away from the bed, so I don't know what the big deal is. I used to try to hush him until 8, then I tried ignoring him, but neither seems to have any effect. Is 9 hours overnight too long to spend in a crate? He's held his pee for longer, and when I do let him out he seems disinterested in actually going outside.

He misses you, OP.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

luscious posted:

Sherlock does the puke up and re eat thing as well. It’s so gross. I think we will have to stick with that. The dental was on the day that I posted the comment you quoted so this whole thread was rather timely.

Sherlock is seven and honestly the yaks milk cheeses were the only thing that had any lasting power for him, too, other than thick beef tendons. The thin ones he powers through.

Nova isn't quite 1 yet, so hopefully we haven't irreparably damaged her teeth yet. For all she's a super chewer though, lately she's obsessed with this little silicone fish. Carries it around, licks it, chases it, buries it. Never chews it. I don't know how long it'll last, but I'll take it!

Note: I'm paranoid, so she can only have it when I'm supervising or at least in the room semi-actively playing with her.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

luscious posted:

Sherlock does the puke up and re eat thing as well. It’s so gross. I think we will have to stick with that. The dental was on the day that I posted the comment you quoted so this whole thread was rather timely.

Sherlock is seven and honestly the yaks milk cheeses were the only thing that had any lasting power for him, too, other than thick beef tendons. The thin ones he powers through.

I gave my pup one of those big rear end beef tendons last night and he demolished it, but it did seem extremely satisfying for him. That said during his eating it I thought to myself " you know, that much tendon is probably going to grease his digestive system real good" and sure enough today he has big runny shits. It was the perfect texture for him though and you could just see him reveling in destroying and eating it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My dog today started having this breathing problem (has sound). He'll be fine for awhile (15 seconds to several minutes), then have a spate of weird breathing, then be fine again.

I'm guessing this is probably just an irritated nasal passage or something? As far as I can tell it started happening when he'd been asleep in his crate for at least half an hour already. I don't see any blood or other signs of major respiratory distress (e.g. discharge).

EDIT: suspecting this is allergies. He's been itchy lately, and then today I vacuumed, which probably kicked up some dust that bothered his nasal passages. Poor dog. :(

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 9, 2020

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's called reverse sneezing, it's a common allergy symptom. Generally not a problem but if it happens a lot you can talk to your vet about allergy meds. It looks really scary the first time you encounter it though!

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Do male/female dogs usually attack males? Our dog got attacked for the second time on a walk yesterday. This time it was my dad and I walking, resulting in my dad body slamming a German Shepard and no harm to either of our little dogs (brother and sister). The first attack (in August) the male's leg was got broken (a minor break) bc my mother was walking with my 96 year old gran and they didn't handle the situation very well. We have to terriers just like Toto or Flipper from Mr.Robot. Both attackers were females that just target lock-on right to our male. It's really sad because the male is the friendliest dog, but it turns out we have 3 or 4 large dogs in our neighborhood that are loving assholes. The one that attacked yesterday got out of its house, not sure if the first dog that attacked was leashed or not, but these owners need to get their poo poo together. Luckily both dogs that attacked were violent towards humans, they just want our little pup.

colas fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 10, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Update to give Riatsala some hope:

The last two nights the pup has woken up at 4-5am as predicted. However when he saw me put on my shoes and jacket on he put his head back down with a visible look of "oh no that's not what I want", then he went back to bed.

Consistency works!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

colas posted:

Do male/female dogs usually attack males? Our dog got attacked for the second time on a walk yesterday. This time it was my dad and I walking, resulting in my dad body slamming a German Shepard and no harm to either of our little dogs (brother and sister). The first attack (in August) the male's leg was got broken (a minor break) bc my mother was walking with my 96 year old gran and they didn't handle the situation very well. We have to terriers just like Toto or Flipper from Mr.Robot. Both attackers were females that just target lock-on right to our male. It's really sad because the male is the friendliest dog, but it turns out we have 3 or 4 large dogs in our neighborhood that are loving assholes. The one that attacked yesterday got out of its house, not sure if the first dog that attacked was leashed or not, but these owners need to get their poo poo together. Luckily both dogs that attacked were violent towards humans, they just want our little pup.

They're just rear end in a top hat unsocialized owners/dogs. As it is reoccurring start getting animal control involved for your safety. When one of mine got attacked this year the dog just walked up as if friendly and latched onto my younger dog's head.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

colas posted:

I have to terriers just like Toto or Flipper from Mr.Robot.

Hooray for cairns. They are such happy dogs it's sad yours keeps getting attacked.

Edit: He has been groomed since this photo and not as super scruffy (but still a little scruffy)

Alterian fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 10, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Fart Car '97 posted:

Update to give Riatsala some hope:

The last two nights the pup has woken up at 4-5am as predicted. However when he saw me put on my shoes and jacket on he put his head back down with a visible look of "oh no that's not what I want", then he went back to bed.

Consistency works!

Lol, what a precious pup

We've been setting a consistent alarm and I think it's working? At least he's sleeping or being quiet until the alarm goes off, and begins the whining engine the minute it does, so he's understanding the association. It's been that way for the past three days or so. We haven't had an accident in a couple of weeks, so I think I'm going to try letting him out of the crate while we get dressed, see if he can handle it.

Now if I can just get him to stop devoting 100% of his biological resources to growing and shedding fur, that'd be cool. I brush him every day and the mess it leaves looks like a bunny got snatched by a hawk, it's gratuitous. Hoping it's a seasonal thing.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Alterian posted:

Hooray for cairns. They are such happy dogs it's sad yours keeps getting attacked.

Edit: He has been groomed since this photo and not as super scruffy (but still a little scruffy)

Nice, both of ours are brindle and look like yours!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Riatsala posted:

Lol, what a precious pup

We've been setting a consistent alarm and I think it's working? At least he's sleeping or being quiet until the alarm goes off, and begins the whining engine the minute it does, so he's understanding the association. It's been that way for the past three days or so. We haven't had an accident in a couple of weeks, so I think I'm going to try letting him out of the crate while we get dressed, see if he can handle it.

Now if I can just get him to stop devoting 100% of his biological resources to growing and shedding fur, that'd be cool. I brush him every day and the mess it leaves looks like a bunny got snatched by a hawk, it's gratuitous. Hoping it's a seasonal thing.

If you're only using a brush, get a Furminator. My dog is shedding significantly less after using it earlier this week.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

colas posted:

Nice, both of ours are brindle and look like yours!

How do you groom yours? I'm learning how to hand strip. It's not that bad but it's always a little nerve-wracking to try something new like that.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Alterian posted:

How do you groom yours? I'm learning how to hand strip. It's not that bad but it's always a little nerve-wracking to try something new like that.

We just take them to a groomer.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
My girl is up for her hysterectomy and all on Monday, does anyone have any tips on what to do with her while she's recovering? The vet said she shouldn't be outside for two weeks give or take and I'm a bit worried about how to deal with cabin fever.

Sploot tax:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I was allowed to do on leash walks after my pyr's spay, she just couldn't go off leash or run until she was healed up. We did lots of puzzle toys and chews but honestly, she was perfectly happy to take a break from working and sleep on the couch for a couple of weeks so it wasn't a huge deal. Might be different for a spunky little corgi though :3:

Enrichment like hiding toys/treats around the house and letting her find them, boxes full of paper/bottles/other boxes with kibble or treats scattered in to dig through, stuffed and frozen toys like kongs or toppls, treats or kibble scattered in a muffin tin with balls in the cups, all can be used to wear out her little dog brain. Get creative! Thinking wears them out better than exercise any ime.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Our pup was fairly insufferable during her spay, no amount of mental stimulation seemed enough, so our vet gave us some anti-anxiety meds to get her through the first 3-4 days until she could at least do gentle walks.

She also got spayed at the 1 year mark

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
we adopted another dog recently, and we're still trying to help shape her behavior. Help appreciated.

I grew up with dogs my whole life, but they mostly lived outside and we didn't do a lot of training other than coming when called and sitting. My wife never had them.

Our first dog adopted together is a tiny Chihuahua mutt of some kind. We named her Gravy, and her biggest desire is simply to sit by you. She rarely ever barks. We had to train her to enjoy toys, but she loves fetch now. But otherwise, she's just extremely chill. Her only early faults were that she doesn't tell you when she needs to go outside, so she'll slink off and find a corner. We've learned her body language pretty well over the years and have gotten better at knowing what she needs.

My wife has been wanting to adopt a second dog to give her a friend, and we saw another Chihuahua mystery mutt pop up on local adoption. This time, we think its' a corgi mix of some kind. A very different dog.

Tater Tot, as we have named her, had a lot of problems marking around the house when she first arrived. We've managed to get it mostly under control, but she does still drink water like a horse so we have to get her outside more frequently. She's indifferent with Gravy for the most part but gets jealous, and we've been working on that. Gravy, for her part, just ignores it.

Here's the Tater Challenges I need help with:
1) Tater will only play with Toys when nobody is around. We've heard her in the other room rustling around, clearly playing with toys, but if one of us comes in, she immediately stops and runs for affection. She is soooo focused on affection/attention that she won't do anything else. Is there anything I can do so I can play with the dang dog?

2) Tater can get a bit bitey when it comes to food or general excitement. We trained gravy to play fetch using a bully stick, so I brought one out for Tater during 1-on-1 play time. Taking and throwing the stick was viewed as a dog-crime that made me a bad man. I tried a little bit of tug-of-war with the bully stick and got some mean growls without any playful body language. That ended that for now.

Similarly, my wife and I have a "game" we play with Gravy where one of us will praise her and just shower her with affection and then take our hands off and say "get out of here!" while the other one when calls over the dog and does the same thing. Repeat until bored, the dog loves it. Tater enjoyed some of that today, but as she got a bit excited, she started getting mouthy, but maybe not so much in a good way. She soft-mouthed my hand a bit, and I gently told her no, but tried to direct her to a toy... she showed some interest, but as we continued trying she got a little more uneasy, so we quit.

Early into adoption, it was clear Tater loved pets. But, sometimes, petting her belly or her back, she would eventually get a bit grumpy, and start showing her teeth and getting frowny. So we would stop. But then she immediately would stand up, nudge your hands, and flop over again, begging for more affection, only to start getting grumpy again. Petting too rough or up by her neck (understandably) seemed to be the main triggers for this. It's gotten a lot better, but still pops up now and then.

Any tips for helping with these? I've generally taken the approach outlined for training puppies not to bite and applied it to most of her bad behaviors- give them a cold shoulder for a while as outlined in the first post(s) of the thread. I also generally give her room when she wants it, and try not to push too hard since we're a new home and it has only been a few weeks. We give her lots of attention, and treats are definitely a motivator for her. Maybe it's new-home jitters, or maybe she had a rough past (she was abandoned in a carrier, taken in by a high-kill shelter, and then a third party pet rescue pulled her out to try and get her adopted). I know it may just take a few months for her to be comfortable... we've had this dog for a few weeks now, and she's definitely more relaxed now than when we first got her. But anything I can do to help this dog be a happy dog would be appreciated!

e: a couple details added, i could ramble on on my guesswork about this dog, but I"m trying to keep this succinct.

Fanged Lawn Wormy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 14, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My 8 month old dumbass is suddenly terrified to jump down off the couch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/7m26Rzh.mp4

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I had an even better idea, don't let the dog on the bed.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Stringent posted:

Why not?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Stringent posted:

:chloe:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Stringent posted:

:mods:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I save on heating letting the dogs sleep with me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My puppy experienced snow for the first time this weekend.

Did you know that snow has the power to turn puppies into crazy idiots? Because it does.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I save on heating letting the dogs sleep with me.

I was just texting my buddy bemoaning that my bed warmers have been choosing to sleep together on the couch as of late :v: Kinda nice to have the bed to myself, but also it's cold and I miss their ears...

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
My wife and I are going to the humane society tomorrow to meet a beautiful chihuahua. Is there anything specific about the breed I should know before we take her home? How do I train her not to bark too much? Will she only love my wife instead of me (my wife works remotely and I spend 10 hours a day at odious employment)? How do I socialize her in the time of COVID?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SoR Blaze posted:

chihuahua

How do I train her not to bark too much?

lol

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I are meeting a rescue dog in a couple of days.

She's a year and a half old Great Dane mix. The current foster did a DNA test, which came back ~80% Great Dane and 20% pit bull/"other", though they don't see anything pit bull-ish in her features or temperament, other than the coloring on her face.

We've had large dogs in the past, but neither of us have spent time around Great Danes. I know they tend to not live very long even compared to other large breeds, and I've read about their common health concerns.

The foster says she's a very well-behaved dog, has been socialized with people and other dogs, and hasn't been destructive other than stealing an ornament off their Christmas tree. She apparently does have a high prey drive, and will fixate on rabbits, squirrels, or birds. They actually want to keep her, but the adults in the house are front-line healthcare workers and have zero time right now, and the dog has gotten too big for their young children to walk (especially if she sees a rabbit).

Does anyone have experience with Great Danes? Are there specific things to look out for that are common with the breed? Separation anxiety? Destructive chewing? Food aggression?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

WhiteHowler posted:

She's a year and a half old Great Dane mix. The current foster did a DNA test, which came back ~80% Great Dane and 20% pit bull/"other", though they don't see anything pit bull-ish in her features or temperament, other than the coloring on her face.

We've had large dogs in the past, but neither of us have spent time around Great Danes. I know they tend to not live very long even compared to other large breeds, and I've read about their common health concerns.

The foster says she's a very well-behaved dog, has been socialized with people and other dogs, and hasn't been destructive other than stealing an ornament off their Christmas tree. She apparently does have a high prey drive, and will fixate on rabbits, squirrels, or birds. They actually want to keep her, but the adults in the house are front-line healthcare workers and have zero time right now, and the dog has gotten too big for their young children to walk (especially if she sees a rabbit).

Does anyone have experience with Great Danes? Are there specific things to look out for that are common with the breed? Separation anxiety? Destructive chewing? Food aggression?

Paging Fluffy Bunnies to the thread, Fluffy Bunnies to the thread please.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SoR Blaze posted:

My wife and I are going to the humane society tomorrow to meet a beautiful chihuahua. Is there anything specific about the breed I should know before we take her home? How do I train her not to bark too much? Will she only love my wife instead of me (my wife works remotely and I spend 10 hours a day at odious employment)? How do I socialize her in the time of COVID?

>ankle biter

>don't want a dog that barks

Pick one :v:

I know my local dog school does offer this program:

quote:

Barky Dog

This is a 5 week class that is specifically for dogs who misbehave on leash; barking and lunging towards other people and dogs. Help your dog focus on you and walk politely on leash without misbehaving. Using positive reinforcement methods and walks in public places we will practice good behaviors on leash with distractions.

And sure, OK, dogs like people are also subject to "Nature VS Nuture" and I'm sure you can train them out of it to an extent, but I highly doubt it's easy and results are positively not guaranteed.

Socialization... Is there an outdoor dog park you can go to? Mask up and hang out for a bit :shrug: It should be easy to keep a healthy distance from other people while your dogs run around. And if you 2 need to separate your dogs... 30 seconds near each other isn't long enough to catch it unless you're also swapping spit for some reason. I have heard of dogs catching Coronavirus but I don't know details so I'd positively read up on that first.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I've had great danes for almost 15 years and everyone is going to tell me I'm wrong so I don't know why I'm bothering but :lol: why not.

-she's in baby psycho mode right now. even if it comes out in play, she still a wild child.

-my old bitch is almost 13. my old man lived to be almost 12.

-tell me about these "common health concerns" and I'll tell you if you're reading the right stuff or not because there's a lot of bullshit out there.

-yeah she's gonna kill a small dog at some point or probably try to. it happens. just try not to let her around anything smaller than her elbow and she oughta not see it as murderfood too much. alternatively, get her into lure coursing so she can really fuckin' party.

-separation anxiety is hell with danes. make her crate her favorite thing. they're incredibly emotional dogs and will complain and groan and kick you in the face every day of their life to wake you up in the morning. she will sleep on your bed. you will not because there will somehow not be room even if you put three king beds together. none of my danes have had issues with food aggression, but it's not uncommon. visit and see what she's like. she's probably a giant idiot with paws too big for what little is in her noggin and it'll be wonderful, because that's what a baby dane should be.

E: chihuahua dude- it's a chihuahua, who cares if you socialize it? it's still gonna shriek and bite people and shake like it's having a real bad trip. let it be, to hell with it. see if you can teach it some cool poo poo instead.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

-tell me about these "common health concerns" and I'll tell you if you're reading the right stuff or not because there's a lot of bullshit out there.
The big ones I've seen repeated are hip dysplasia (something we're used to having had a poodle mix) and stomach bloat. We don't allow dogs upstairs, so that helps with the hip issues. As for bloat, I've read about slow-fill water bowls that keep the dog from drinking a swimming pool worth of water in five seconds.

Also potential heart problems as they get older?

quote:

-yeah she's gonna kill a small dog at some point or probably try to. it happens. just try not to let her around anything smaller than her elbow and she oughta not see it as murderfood too much. alternatively, get her into lure coursing so she can really fuckin' party.
Well, hopefully not. The foster says she does get anxious when she sees cats but hasn't gone after one. They have socialized her around dogs of various sizes, and she's friendly with them unless they growl or start barking at her, in which case she gets a little defensive (but not offensive). We don't have any other pets and don't plan to in the foreseeable future.

quote:

-separation anxiety is hell with danes. make her crate her favorite thing. they're incredibly emotional dogs and will complain and groan and kick you in the face every day of their life to wake you up in the morning. she will sleep on your bed. you will not because there will somehow not be room even if you put three king beds together. none of my danes have had issues with food aggression, but it's not uncommon. visit and see what she's like. she's probably a giant idiot with paws too big for what little is in her noggin and it'll be wonderful, because that's what a baby dane should be.
We don't let dogs upstairs, so she absolutely won't be sleeping with us. I have a large crate from our last dog. He was a similar weight, but he had a stocky lab build -- this one is so tall I'm not sure if she'll fit comfortably.

We have some experience training around separation anxiety. We're both home 24/7 right now, but we'll likely both return to full-time jobs at some point next year. The plan is to gradually get her used to us leaving for short periods and increase the duration as time goes on.