Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The movie was based on the book, almost a decade later.

And famously was expected to be the sci-fi hit of the summer, beating out a weird little flick called Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The movie was based on the book, almost a decade later.

Yeah, I phrased myself poorly; I know that now, but not when I read it. So I was surprised that despite the book feeling like it came from a script it was the original story, and the movie didn't have much in common beyond "post-apocalyptic big car", so the script I was assuming was the source never actually existed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's like Total Recall / We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. Through some quirk of causality the parody came first.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

BioEnchanted posted:

For those that enjoy Steven King, I'd recommend the recent books written by CJ Tudor, the Chalk Man and The Taking of Annie Thorn. They have a lot of Steven King energy, including an ancient evil that plays a part in both books but something I appreciate is that the supernatural element isn't the main antagonist in the stories - it's a catalyst, but the human element of the situation is always a bigger threat. He apparently released other books after that I haven't got around to yet.

Worth noting that the US version of The Taking of Annie Thorne is titled The Hiding Place.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber was a kickass series with a bafflingly poor last installment.

IIRC he was dying of cancer, and wrote it quickly to cash in on the series' reputation and help provide for his family after he was gone.

quote:

The ending of Nine Princes in Amber is as bad as Damnation Alley by the same author.

I liked Damnation Alley for what it was, a trashy 70s post apocalyptic novel. I still remember Hell Tanner fondly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Resident Idiot posted:

IIRC he was dying of cancer, and wrote it quickly to cash in on the series' reputation and help provide for his family after he was gone..

There was a whole second series after that book though.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The best thing David Cage ever did was make a game where you can glitch the main character into screaming his son's name during the entire final scene.

Spoilers for a decade old game, I guess.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_56257iS77A

This song starts playing in my head whenever someone mentions Heavy Rain.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BioEnchanted posted:

For those that enjoy Steven King, I'd recommend the recent books written by CJ Tudor, the Chalk Man and The Taking of Annie Thorn. They have a lot of Steven King energy, including an ancient evil that plays a part in both books but something I appreciate is that the supernatural element isn't the main antagonist in the stories - it's a catalyst, but the human element of the situation is always a bigger threat. He apparently released other books after that I haven't got around to yet.

And if anyone wants a rec for a book about a terminally online teenage gamer that's actually good and readable I'd recommend Tim Etchells' The Broken World, since I've just discovered it's out on Kindle/Kobo so you won't have to pay scalper prices for it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

"Robots of Dawn" - Asimov.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Resident Idiot posted:

IIRC he was dying of cancer, and wrote it quickly to cash in on the series' reputation and help provide for his family after he was gone.

That’s why Prince of Chaos (1991) is bad, but the main character in that is Merlin, Corwin’s son.

Pretty sure the poster was talking about The Courts of Chaos (1978), which is a mess for some other reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Asimov was iirc a notorious gropey creep.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SimonChris posted:

"Robots of Dawn" - Asimov.

This book was published in 1983.

The first woman was appointed to the US Supreme Court in 1981. The first woman to serve as US Ambassador to the United Nations was appointed in 1981.

Asimov couldn’t even keep up with the progress of his own country in his own time!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Courts of Chaos - Wasted Opportunity

Damnation Alley - Dull

A Night in the Lonesome October - Excellent

Lord of Light - I can't remember

If you're adapting Asimov you're best off keeping the title but ripping out all the pages. The dude was prolific for a reason now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

If you're adapting Asimov you're best off keeping the title but ripping out all the pages. The dude was prolific for a reason now.
I hope this isn't an endorsement of I, Robot, a movie that not only is insultingly stupid in every scene but has a truly nauseating attitude toward cops and profiling (this isn't some hot woke Twitter take; the "I told you so" poo poo infuriated me the first time I saw it back in high school).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I haven't seen that movie in fifteen years and only recall the bit where Will Smith puts his Keds on the table.

Asimov is unfilmable as is because it's mostly Male talking-heads jabbering about concepts in ear-grating Brooklyn accents. Little in the way of blood pumping or shedding.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It has some neat visuals. The robots crawling all spider like on the walls trying to get to him was cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

I haven't seen that movie in fifteen years and only recall the bit where Will Smith puts his Keds on the table.

They aren't loving Keds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HpIZrOH4zc

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I haven't been able to get into Zelazny. I read 1 and about half of the Amber books and Jack of Shadows and while I feel like I should get back to the Guns of Avalon at some point, I find it hard to muster the energy to try. Jack of Shadows had the double whammy of being astonishingly dull and the main character was just awful. It was apparently an homage to Jack Vance and his Dying Earth series. but the thing is, when I was reading Dying Earth it was slow going because I kept on going "God, Cugel's a loving piece of poo poo!", but somehow now that I've finished it, I keep on thinking fondly back to bits of the books. Jack of Shadows doesn't have that. It's a shame since I'm kinda interested in Lord of Light but I know I'll be disappointed if I try.

I actually really liked the I, Robot movie, but it's been years since I last watched it. It wasn't exactly high art when it came out. I didn't even think of this:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I hope this isn't an endorsement of I, Robot, a movie that not only is insultingly stupid in every scene but has a truly nauseating attitude toward cops and profiling (this isn't some hot woke Twitter take; the "I told you so" poo poo infuriated me the first time I saw it back in high school).

but yeah, yeah, that certainly is... oof.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

This book was published in 1983.

The first woman was appointed to the US Supreme Court in 1981. The first woman to serve as US Ambassador to the United Nations was appointed in 1981.

Asimov couldn’t even keep up with the progress of his own country in his own time!

Yeah but did they have absolutely massive space tits?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Asimov was iirc a notorious gropey creep.

Oh very much so. His behavior would not fly these days.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Any time Will Smith plays a cop there's always some morally repugnant behaviour that's either played off as charming or pathos. In I, Robot he hates all robots because of tragedy. He kills a fairy in Bright and says "fairy lives don't matter". And Men In Black is just about a sci fi border patrol. Haven't seen Bad Boys tho.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

At least in MiB (if I recall) they're more like alien/human relations than actual border patrol? I think a significant portion of their job was just "make sure humans don't find out about aliens" with the apprehension of dangerous aliens being a consequence of the primary goal of maintaining the kayfabe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

grittyreboot posted:

Any time Will Smith plays a cop there's always some morally repugnant behaviour that's either played off as charming or pathos. In I, Robot he hates all robots because of tragedy. He kills a fairy in Bright and says "fairy lives don't matter". And Men In Black is just about a sci fi border patrol. Haven't seen Bad Boys tho.

What a strange typecasting, supernatural enforcer?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, a big part of the entrance exam is that he's the only one who doesn't immediately start blasting away at aliens when presented with a target range and pays attention to what the aliens are doing.

I do like that the core premise of MiB is basically taking the idea of 'secret agency covering up the existence of aliens' and taking the logic a step further; i.e., what it's like from the aliens' perspective: a strange apolitical Truman Show on a civilisation scale, which as a result is the perfect place to hide.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Having rewatched MiB recently it's definitely still a good 90's film, and the agents are unambiguously forces of good. There's even an explicit border agent scene where they chase down a guy leaving town w/o a permit and they just hand-wave him away after the funny shenanigans.

Will Smith's presence in more recently films however, are usually a red flag. Especially anything with his son in it.

Did Phillip K Dick have weird misogyny in his books? It's been ages since I've touched old sci-fi and I had no recollection of Asimov being a creep in his works either

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

grittyreboot posted:

wasn't he also a cop in wild wild west? what's the gross behavior in that one

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Serephina posted:

Having rewatched MiB recently it's definitely still a good 90's film, and the agents are unambiguously forces of good. There's even an explicit border agent scene where they chase down a guy leaving town w/o a permit and they just hand-wave him away after the funny shenanigans.

they also disrespect the actual real world border control people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-bjPqMMLN4

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

wasn't he also a cop in wild wild west? what's the gross behavior in that one

He insults the villain for being paraplegic. Although the villain was a confederate who was insulting him for being black, so let's call it a wash

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It was kinda gross he was bathin with the chick in the water supply though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that was a railroad water tower.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, a big part of the entrance exam is that he's the only one who doesn't immediately start blasting away at aliens when presented with a target range and pays attention to what the aliens are doing.

I do like that the core premise of MiB is basically taking the idea of 'secret agency covering up the existence of aliens' and taking the logic a step further; i.e., what it's like from the aliens' perspective: a strange apolitical Truman Show on a civilisation scale, which as a result is the perfect place to hide.

I think the original script had the central conflict being resolved with diplomacy as the big surprise climax. Because going around shooting at aliens doesn't actually solve anything.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Serephina posted:

Did Phillip K Dick have weird misogyny in his books? It's been ages since I've touched old sci-fi and I had no recollection of Asimov being a creep in his works either

Depending on your definition. There's a lot of PKD early work that's rooted in an old fashioned almost 50s culture: lots of shlubby guys in suits and shrieking airheaded secretaries. Not so much misogyny as women just not featuring in any real way. I don't recall there ever being a female lead character in any of his books either.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

nonathlon posted:

Depending on your definition. There's a lot of PKD early work that's rooted in an old fashioned almost 50s culture: lots of shlubby guys in suits and shrieking airheaded secretaries. Not so much misogyny as women just not featuring in any real way. I don't recall there ever being a female lead character in any of his books either.

Out of all the movies that were made from PKD stories I love A Scanner Darkly the best. Much more than Blade Runner.

It's really difficult to read though because it's just heavy misogyny.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is something I'd highly recommend but with the caveats in your post.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

nonathlon posted:

The Transmigration of Timothy Archer has a female protagonist and I remember hearing people saying Dick wrote her better than he usually wrote woman characters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

grittyreboot posted:

In Bad Boys 2 he threatens a teenage boy at gunpoint for no reason because he's taking his partner's daughter on a date and wants to scare him into being nice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Transmigration of Timothy Archer has a female protagonist and I remember hearing people saying Dick wrote her better than he usually wrote woman characters.

Can be hard to tell active misogyny from just following misogynistic norms and cliches sometimes. Not that either are particularly acceptable, but there can be a difference.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There we go. There's a real evolution in PKDs work: the early stuff feels very 50s or old fashioned, just in settings and attitudes. Like it's from an earlier time with different attitudes, as it is. The latter stuff has a more psychedelic vibe. Of course, he'd been writing for decades by then.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The only time I remember going "nope, can't deal with this" due to period attitudes in books was when I was reading some old Jack Vance books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

nonathlon posted:

In Golden Man, the titular golden man escapes using a combination of his precognitive abilities and because he's so hot that one of the female officers is enthralled by his rock hard abs and golden skin and lets him go.