Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished a couple Primaris marines today for my XIth Legion:

Not perfect, but I think they look great when you put them altogether in the five man squad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Bucnasti posted:

Kjmagnetics.com
If they don’t have the dimensions you want, then those dimensions are probably not manufactured.

Thanks but i am not from USA so i'll have to use a local store. They have Ø6 in 2mm and 4mm thk.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Finished these two weeks ago but everything is cancelled due to the roni so they haven't seen a game yet. (click for big)

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Committing a cardinal sin in cutting up some antiques as well as loving up serviclbley painted models.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just spent 115€ on Reaper and 80€ on GW minis. 'Tas a good day.

Now to tell the wife.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Thread, I have a question about basing. I want to do a sandy desert sort of look but I don't have any texture paint. I've vaguely heard somewhere that wall filler or tile grout mixed with paint make ok substitutes but is this actually true? Has anyone itt used them before to do this and what did it look like?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Thread, I have a question about basing. I want to do a sandy desert sort of look but I don't have any texture paint. I've vaguely heard somewhere that wall filler or tile grout mixed with paint make ok substitutes but is this actually true? Has anyone itt used them before to do this and what did it look like?

Spackle/Polyfilla was really common as basing material before texture paints became popular, it has a finer grain so a lot of the texture you’ll get comes from how you apply it. When I used it I always painted it after curing, not sure how adding paint would affect the cure or if it’s advisable.

Found an old article here that should give you a good idea of the texture: http://thepaintingcorps.blogspot.com/2009/07/spackle-basing.html?m=1

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Took some group shots of all the minis I’ve painted so far for my Thousand Sons army.

I need to go back and drill out the barrels on the Land Raider’s heavy bolter turret.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Bistromatic posted:

Finished these two weeks ago but everything is cancelled due to the roni so they haven't seen a game yet. (click for big)

Holy poo poo. So goooood.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Love this goblin friend

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Second camo cloak done. Used an eyeshadow applicator for sponging today. Not entirely sold on them, they absorb the paint a little too much

Bonus shot of my gradient

Edit: Also finished the rider for the thunderwolf. Accidentally made him look like tormund giantsbane from GOT but I was just going for red hair and pale skin, so yeah that happened.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 7, 2020

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Love this goblin friend

That skin is so violently green, I love it. Got a recipe?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Floppychop posted:

That skin is so violently green, I love it. Got a recipe?

I’m playing around with fluorescents lately. I put a layer of contrast plaguebearer over wraithbone, then did a 3-1 contrast medium-ork flesh over that, then I started highlighting up with fluorescent green artist ink. Not the best way to do it honestly but I think it came out pretty good.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Anti-Tachyon posted:

My deser stuff is mostly based using medium spackle paste from a diy shop. I sprinkle on some fine grain sand on some spots, but most of the basr is just spackle.

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/mediterranean-theater/fallschirmjagers-part-iii-is-it-really-a-platoon-anymore

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I finished a couple Primaris marines today for my XIth Legion:

Not perfect, but I think they look great when you put them altogether in the five man squad:

They fight for the Empire, I can tell

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
been painting a fair bit but posting images to dead forums is hard. here's a red period inspired blood Angel

I post dolls on my instagram like this Emperors Children bloke

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF3v5jxlp0c/?igshid=5lmlvfaoajy5

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Big Willy Style posted:

been painting a fair bit but posting images to dead forums is hard. here's a red period inspired blood Angel

I post dolls on my instagram like this Emperors Children bloke

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF3v5jxlp0c/?igshid=5lmlvfaoajy5

rad

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

What's a good way of getting the paint out of citadel pots?

I currently using my paint brush but that seems like a waste of paint and brush.

I am thinking some sort of dropper as I don't want to transfer to another bottle just yet as I only occasionally get to paint.

Also, what is a good way of agitating paint that has been sitting there for a few months? A bit of plastic sprue? How big a piece?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

notaspy posted:

I currently using my paint brush but that seems like a waste of paint and brush.

I am thinking some sort of dropper as I don't want to transfer to another bottle just yet as I only occasionally get to paint.

Also, what is a good way of agitating paint that has been sitting there for a few months? A bit of plastic sprue? How big a piece?

I’ve always used toothpicks or matches. Dip it, and put it down on my palette.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Took some group shots of all the minis I’ve painted so far for my Thousand Sons army.

I need to go back and drill out the barrels on the Land Raider’s heavy bolter turret.

I want to let you know these look great fellow Thousand Sons Painter. I do look forward to finishing up my army and moving on to some Primaris because man chaos trim plus head crests will drive a person insane.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

notaspy posted:

Transfer them into dropper bottles tbh, every other method has just So Much Waste

Eej fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 7, 2020

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted some more MCP lads

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fyrbrand posted:

These are pretty sweet.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Another meganob down

edit: as I posted this I realized it's missing the face plate! I'll finish that when I can.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 8, 2020

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Bheur hag I just finished. The package had a sea hag too but the sculpt is pretty lousy and it didn't come out great.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Toebone posted:

Bheur hag I just finished. The package had a sea hag too but the sculpt is pretty lousy and it didn't come out great.

That's a cool little sculpt and paint job.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Verisimilidude posted:

Another meganob down

edit: as I posted this I realized it's missing the face plate! I'll finish that when I can.

Really like these Bad Moons, man. I love the absurdly vivid color palette.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

Cool

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Who makes the Good florescent paints for minis? I used to use Golden High Flow, but their florescents specifically separate a lot in the bottle. It is a battle to get those usable again every time.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Serenade posted:

Who makes the Good florescent paints for minis? I used to use Golden High Flow, but their florescents specifically separate a lot in the bottle. It is a battle to get those usable again every time.

I've heard good things about Scale 75 but Golden High Flow was referred to me as the gold standard.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Vallejo has some solid Fluo paints - some colors are much better than others but that just seems to be par for the course with fluorescents. Also worth noting that fluorescent pigment in general has very poor lightfastness and will dull out a little bit if they spend any time in the sun.

If you want to really get into it you can also go the diy route with fluorescent pigments and acrylic binder: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/10/tutorial-using-dayglow-colors.html

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Vallejo has some solid Fluo paints
Vallejo fluo paints are seriously hosed and each color is hosed in its own individual way. It's kinda impressive, but not very usable for painting.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

for fluorescent paints you can also try using artist ink like liquitex and daler rowny. I use both and they perform excellently.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Pierzak posted:

Vallejo fluo paints are seriously hosed and each color is hosed in its own individual way. It's kinda impressive, but not very usable for painting.

I've only ever used them to tint other colors. There's no good way to layer them up.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Pierzak posted:

I've had good luck with their yellow and green but those are the only two I've tried. They're insanely transparent though and I imagine if you're not running through an airbrush or putting it over a pure white basecoat that they'd be a major pain in the rear end.

Honestly though I don't think there's really anything fluo paints do that can't be replicated by playing around with regular paints and inks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I imagine if you're not running through an airbrush or putting it over a pure white basecoat that they'd be a major pain in the rear end.
And if you do airbrush them, they clog like crazy.

Honestly, if I were to use fluos at this point I'd probably go the fluo pigment + medium route.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I used fluo orange to tint my Necron energy tubes and it worked out pretty good! That's my review.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Haven’t been painting much but got a warboss done. Finally have an HQ for my deathskullz

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Trying to paint a terminator in darkness lit only by the muzzle flash by his gun.

Dunno if it's working, but it looks alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

yum posted:

Haven't been painting much but got a warboss done. Finally have an HQ for my deathskullz

I love that guy! He's from the excellent Black Reach box set (rip those amazing deffkoptas, never got a separate sculpt).

I gotta join in on all the good Orkpostin':