Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mr Hootington posted:

If you are doing 80s try and do a read through of the "grounded" vigilants and spy series.

Any examples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Any examples?

Either or in another thread people were talking about Vigilante, the Question, Suicide Squad and Hitman are the other 80s books I hear talked up a bunch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I ended up liking Batman/Catwoman. Sets up a interesting story between Batman/Catwoman/Phantasm/Joker, and I can never get enough scenes of Batman and Catwoman making out.

Connecting Selina Kyle to the Sewer King, of all people, is actually rather clever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

If you are doing 80s try and do a read through of the "grounded" vigilants and spy series.

Also Ostrander's Suicide Squad is a solid 80s title. Also Firestorm but I am biased towards Firestorm.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

He kills someone in the second issue

I looked it up and yeah but he drops them down an incinerator chute so you don't get confirmation that the guy died, which feels like exactly the kind of dumb technicality that'd get you past the CCA.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

Either or in another thread people were talking about Vigilante, the Question, Suicide Squad and Hitman are the other 80s books I hear talked up a bunch.

The Question is so good. One of my favorite runs ever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Any examples?

Exact reading order would be Vigilante to start. Move to, Suicide Squad, Checkmate Peacemaker mini series, and Captain atom. Overall it is a bit of a trip but paints a picture of the DC universe's government run meta monitoring agencies that have only expanded since.

If I missed anything others can fill in.

A lot of 80s DC series are good or interesting at the least. They revamp and expand the universe and by the mid 80s are trying to recapture CoIE and Watchmen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Blockhouse posted:

I looked it up and yeah but he drops them down an incinerator chute so you don't get confirmation that the guy died, which feels like exactly the kind of dumb technicality that'd get you past the CCA.

He kills someone in issue #4.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Wanted to try New Teen Titans so I read the first ish and....I didn't like it.

I hate that Cyborg talks like a walking black stereotype. They gave him the Barret treatment where his English is lesser than other characters. Then there's Beast Boy, who kinda sucks. And the overall tone feels so aged despite being an 80's comic. It feels straight out of the 60's. Hopefully the rest of it is better than this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Mariko Tamaki is going to be the new ongoing writer for Detective Comics. I haven't read any of her super hero stuff but her original graphic novels are excellent. That being said the original graphic novels of hers that I have read have been teen orientated and usually from a teenage girl perspective so I am very curious about how it will work with Batman. If her superhero stuff is good though, let me know.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

Mariko Tamaki is going to be the new ongoing writer for Detective Comics. I haven't read any of her super hero stuff but her original graphic novels are excellent. That being said the original graphic novels of hers that I have read have been teen orientated and usually from a teenage girl perspective so I am very curious about how it will work with Batman. If her superhero stuff is good though, let me know.

Her X-23 series was very good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I knew she was gonna do a Detective one shot for the future state thing DC is doing, didn't realize she was taking over the ongoing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

I knew she was gonna do a Detective one shot for the future state thing DC is doing, didn't realize she was taking over the ongoing.

Saw the announcement today.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/12/6/22150302/batman-detective-comics-dc-mariko-tamaki

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Awesome, also shocked she's only the second women to be the main writer on a Batbook run, and that the first was Devin Greyson.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh wtf she’s putting Tim Drake back into that stupid loving new 52 costume

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Any examples?

Suicide Squad (the best)
Checkmate
Peacemaker
Vigilante
Captain Atom (not grounded but part of the whole government DC stuff from the 80s)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Noob Saibot posted:

When is someone going to have the sense to put Superman back in the jeans and t-shirt

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Turns out like 90% of the Future State creative teams are just going to be the actual creative teams for the future. It seems like those books are presenting bad future version of where the DCU is heading instead of just being completely unconnected.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

There is an okay chance she had nothing to do with that decision. Costume decisions are not always up to the writer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Turns out like 90% of the Future State creative teams are just going to be the actual creative teams for the future. It seems like those books are presenting bad future version of where the DCU is heading instead of just being completely unconnected.

That's cool. I just remember being excited that Gail Simone was writing the Iron-Man War of Realms tie-in (good two issues, it's just Iron-Man fighting a dragon) and being confused hoping it meant Dan Slott was off the book.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Wanted to try New Teen Titans so I read the first ish and....I didn't like it.

I hate that Cyborg talks like a walking black stereotype. They gave him the Barret treatment where his English is lesser than other characters. Then there's Beast Boy, who kinda sucks. And the overall tone feels so aged despite being an 80's comic. It feels straight out of the 60's. Hopefully the rest of it is better than this.

New Teen Titans, especially early on, feels like someone trying to ape Claremont's Uncanny X-Men in a DC milieu and really not finding the right energy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Noob Saibot posted:

The picture is from detective comics 1000

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Noob Saibot posted:

:sickos:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Noob Saibot posted:

Better than that poo poo brown "Drake" costume that Bendis had him in.

(Also I actually like the N52 costume, sue me)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Noob Saibot posted:

The monkey's paw giveth Cass Cain bat ears, the monkey's paw taketh.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Better than that poo poo brown "Drake" costume that Bendis had him in.

(Also I actually like the N52 costume, sue me)

The 90s costume they brought back for tynions detective and the early part of bendis YJ run is far and away the best. Damians looks different enough and anyone reading dc comics now adays can accept there are two robins

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Tim gets to be Robin again because Damian gave it up because there can ever only technically be One Robin (except for that time there was a gang of them).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Tim gets to be Robin again because Damian gave it up because there can ever only technically be One Robin (except for that time there was a gang of them).

Don't paper over that, it was a gang of Robins, and Dog Robin that went to Apokalips to save Bruce and get Damian's coffin back. It was batshit crazy and it ruled because HellBat Armor is metal as gently caress and Tomasi and Gleason wrote it. :rock:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Don't paper over that, it was a gang of Robins, and Dog Robin that went to Apokalips to save Bruce and get Damian's coffin back. It was batshit crazy and it ruled because HellBat Armor is metal as gently caress and Tomasi and Gleason wrote it. :rock:

I believe they're referring to the We Are Robin series, but the story you're referencing was indeed pretty cool.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How old is Damian in the comics now?

Also there's so many Batman comics out now. What's worth reading? Batman is the obvious one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jupiter Jazz posted:

How old is Damian in the comics now?

Also there's so many Batman comics out now. What's worth reading? Batman is the obvious one.

Damian is 13 iirc. He was older than John by about a year or less before he was aged up. As far as what's worth reading right now? Catwoman seems solid and just started a new arc a month or two ago where she's relocated to Gotham for a bit. Red Hood and the Outlaws also just started a new arc last month with a new writer and it's also in a different and slightly less impoverished part of Gotham and looks possibly promising. The current arc for Nightwing just ended so who knows where it's at. Same with Batgirl I think.

Punchline is also technically a batbook but it's bad and dumb.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Honestly there is a huge relaunch basically happening in March just wait for that if you want to read current stuff. There is a mountain of good older bat comics in the meantime.

I personally love Morrisons Batman and Robin, but the best era is probably around the time period Jason Todd existed the first time. Very grounded and interesting compared to how modern Batman stuff is. Batman struggles to fight guys and solve crimes sometimes!

The first KGBeast story is a perfect Batman story.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Honestly there is a huge relaunch basically happening in March just wait for that if you want to read current stuff. There is a mountain of good older bat comics in the meantime.

I personally love Morrisons Batman and Robin, but the best era is probably around the time period Jason Todd existed the first time. Very grounded and interesting compared to how modern Batman stuff is. Batman struggles to fight guys and solve crimes sometimes!

The first KGBeast story is a perfect Batman story.

90's era breaking the Bat?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
90s era Doug Moench/Kelley Jones Batman is my personal fave Batman. Highly recommended if you like Batman in a 30's horror style vibe

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Multiverse Christmas special had some interesting bits in it. The Earth-13 Ragman version is pretty cool and there was a not-Jon and not-Damian story.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Jupiter Jazz posted:

90's era breaking the Bat?

Mostly like the late 80s Batstuff. Batman is a maniac obsessed with law and order, it still has some gritty crime elements without being too silly about it, and while the stakes can be high they can also be low. I do love a good supervillain but it the older stuff it avoids the modern problem of every story being about an established named character (who have all slide further down the Just A Mass Murderer path after the Joker)

They have trades of that era called Batman: The Caped Crusader and Batman Dark Knight Detective that I would recommend if you want to pick them up. Long Halloween and Batman Year One are also must reads in my opinion. Definitely get them if you have not already.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Mostly like the late 80s Batstuff. Batman is a maniac obsessed with law and order, it still has some gritty crime elements without being too silly about it, and while the stakes can be high they can also be low. I do love a good supervillain but it the older stuff it avoids the modern problem of every story being about an established named character (who have all slide further down the Just A Mass Murderer path after the Joker)

They have trades of that era called Batman: The Caped Crusader and Batman Dark Knight Detective that I would recommend if you want to pick them up. Long Halloween and Batman Year One are also must reads in my opinion. Definitely get them if you have not already.

I've been reading Batman comics from the 80's. I started with Year One and now I'm reading Batman issues from that period up. Right now Dick isn't Batman anymore and Tim just outfitted as Robin for the first time. If I keep going will I get to those books? Haven't been reading Detective Comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I've been reading Batman comics from the 80's. I started with Year One and now I'm reading Batman issues from that period up. Right now Dick isn't Batman anymore and Tim just outfitted as Robin for the first time. If I keep going will I get to those books? Haven't been reading Detective Comics.

Just savor the Aparo/Breyfoggle artwork.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Madkal posted:

Just savor the Aparo/Breyfoggle artwork.

Isn't that the truth. These were the first Batman artists I ever read. So spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
New Teen Titans is a total snore so far. X-Men wannabe comic made in the 80's with the 60's level writing. The lack of team chemistry, it all feels so forced. It reminds me of a 60's X-Men comic made 20 years later. It's bad. I'll stick to Batman for now.

Pretty embarrassing comic book.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 10, 2020