Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Niric posted:

Seriously though, is this a common thing that's been happening for ages that I've never encountered before? Because in a year of a literal plague, this attempt to gameify the workplace with the lure of consumer goods in the most blunt, infantilising way possible seems a bit much

If it makes you feel any better, me and a few lads just have a weekly coffee catch-up and we award each other all our points in a circular fashion à la Strangers On A Train, so basically it's money for jam.

Mebh posted:

I gave him a 4 pack of beer and he went home after we'd tested and rewired everything. He then only charged me 50 quid... Best electrician.

This is the correct way to transactionalise human decency.

E: 36, also known as a six-pack of six-packs, which would be just the right amount of beer for surviving COVID Xmas

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Most big companies have a "reward and recognition" budget where people can nominate others for vouchers or whatever.

Yeah, I guess you're right and that is something I'm familiar with (and my brain didn't connect these things because it's still before half 8, gimme a break). But, I dunno, the whole "let's make primary school gold stars into an actual market economy" by distributing a rationed number of points to be spent/exchanged seems like a whole step up from this

Failed Imagineer posted:

If it makes you feel any better, me and a few lads just have a weekly coffee catch-up and we award each other all our points in a circular fashion à la Strangers On A Train, so basically it's money for jam.

Maybe I'm easily pleased, but this legit does make me feel better

Niric fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 7, 2020

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Brand shiny new podcast episode, straight from the UKMT itself:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1335862177228611585?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Almost forgot you can choose to send someone a thank you e-card without giving them any "points". In another context this would be a thoughtful gesture, but since the prospect of points has already been introduced, the card-only option just becomes a way to passive-aggressively piss people off.

Another neat illustration of capitalism debasing human interaction I spose.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Honestly I'd prefer shameless marketising to the sort of fake 'we're all a family' vibe some companies I've worked at have pushed. The amount this is pushed always seems inversely proportional to how much I actually do feel like anyone at work is in any way my family. That whole schtick became even more retrospectively grating when my work took me off furlough and let me go (I was going to leave anyway as the company was shutting down and they were starting a new one to rehire everyone with lower salaries) as a reaction to having to pay my NI or whatever it was - not much money. I might not have minded if on the same call they hadn't told they'd spaffed 20 grand on consultants.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

since the prospect of points has already been introduced, the card-only option just becomes a way to passive-aggressively piss people off.

Another neat illustration of capitalism debasing human interaction I spose driving innovation.

:pseudo:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Without wanting to sound too "everyone is a stupid sheeple except me", it's clearly a workplace psychology that works on a lot of people. I interact with a lot of people who either buy into this stuff completely or else perform such a perfect simulacrum of buying-in that it's functionally the same thing. It's even possible that overall it actually makes for a more pleasant and cooperative workplace, but only as a byproduct of the primary intended purpose i.e. increasing worker compliance

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I'm literally being asked to work with a group of people to implement such a thing at my place of work, so yeah, this is very much a real thing.

(Though funnily enough, I hadn't heard of the points based system... man, that seems to be edging a little bit Black Mirror.)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Points aren't so much gamification as a way to pass the responsibility of making your employees feel appreciated onto the employees themselves because the boss can't be hosed, imo

Place I used to work just had an "employee incentive trophy" that came with a voucher thingy you could spend anywhere. One time I won it, because I billed over £55k that month (of which my bosses got over 97%, natch).

That £20 gift card probably did more to radicalise me than a thousand pages of Marx.

e: I have not read 1000 pages of Marx, dude's a snooze

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 7, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

On the one hand I'm glad my workplace doesn't have such a transparently cynical system in place to boost compliance. On the other hand I want free stuff.

We very occasionally get small vouchers, but it's entirely at your manager's discretion and barely ever happens.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
My wife used to work in a hotel chain that had an employee point system but it was based on feedback from the customers.

One of the restaurant staff took this to a new level by going round each table and going

"Hey, so I get points if you leave good feedback on this form. I need another 15 to get an iPad. Would you mind?"

He got his iPad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

That £20 gift card probably did more to radicalise me than a thousand pages of Marx.

This is the blackpilled version of Glengarry Glen Ross.

The last penultimate point about the points is that they are tax-advantaged way of consolidating benefits-in-kind.

E: vvvvvvv absolutely. And also they get factored in during your EOY evaluation lol, so it's always worse than you think

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 7, 2020

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I guess a lot of these could quickly devolve into a popularity contest as well, right?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Olpainless posted:

I guess a lot of these could quickly devolve into a popularity contest as well, right?

The guy who has won manager of the year award at our company has won it 5 years on the trot because he manages the largest department and everyone basically just votes internally

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

My experience of reward and recognition systems where I used to work was that they were massively underused. I was in finance so got to see the numbers at a company level and despite a pretty modest budget (0.23% of salary iirc) we never came close to spending it. Even though anyone could make a nomination a lot of people just never thought to.

Giving every employee a specific share of that budget as with the points system is something we never did, but I can see the argument that it would encourage more people to use it because it's "their" points. You might get some spurious awards but you'd get that in any system.

Of course the best solution is to just pay everyone well so that you don't need to faff around with shiny reward schemes to make people feel "valued".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wrote the rules to conduct virtual court hearings during COVID lockdown pt 1 and was promised a "substantial" bonus over the summer by my happy managers.

Got a £50 Amazon voucher in the end.

oh well, The Last of Us 2 was quite fun

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Reminds me when I started my job, we had a real problem with terrible managers across the company. The solution was that they came up with a new scheme where people could nominate their managers for an award. Problem solved?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm curious about your scepticism. What makes you think its going to struggle to stick? I've met a lot of people who have happily embraced this narrative.

doesn't map readily onto just-world notions of fairness, basically

true, it's a given that 30%~ of the country will believe whatever - in a country of tens of millions of people, that's always a lot - but they're not the swing opinion that matters anyway

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Marmaduke! posted:

Reminds me when I started my job, we had a real problem with terrible managers across the company. The solution was that they came up with a new scheme where people could nominate their managers for an award. Problem solved?

And presumably "not nominating managers for an award to show your displeasure" works just as well as not voting, likewise?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Heard about these on Trash Future:

https://twitter.com/PeterHeadCBE/status/1326441478697193472

They are:

- A shoe subscription
- Made of beans
- You send them back after a month and they press them down into beans again and then make new shoes out of the beans to send to other people
- $30 a month

X-posting from the capitalism.png thread because it seems to intersect with a bunch of thread interests beans

E:vvvvv took me a minute but then I laugh

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 7, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Failed Imagineer posted:

X-posting from the capitalism.png thread because it seems to intersect with a bunch of thread interests beans
"They're for racing! I meant racing!" as the antiterrorism squad hammer down my door

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Everyone know this in abstract, but it's still shocking to me when it's just stated plainly.

https://twitter.com/ezzzzzzx/status/1335656384151564289?s=20

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mebh posted:

After he determined it was definitely a fault and we were methodically checking the stickers one by one the very first one we checked was the oven and he went "aha that's come right off" as he checked it. He's pulled it out and neutral just fell out. He rechecked the board, abs there was still a fault but he was still cheerful, I said oh gently caress there's one behind all the cupboards, and he had this look of "of course it's going to be behind that one" but he said "not to worry, we'll check all the others first before we try to move that" so around we went.

Upstairs he was incredulous honestly, as the other two neutrals were just dangling and he had never seen the like. Some choice words were said about Barret homes. My wife then mentioned she'd been hearing a weird humming from one of the sockets but thought it was just the neighbours and he said "you didn't think to mention this til now?" (he'd been here 1.5 hours at this point and was missing the F1)

We checked again and no dice and we all slowly looked at the food store and went oh ffs. So my wife and I started frantically moving everything out throwing the contents of a sodding tardis onto the sofa so we could slide out the cabinets.

Here's what the sofa looked like after

(two massive cabinets behind the sofa, full of food, kitchen equipment and random poo poo all across their tops from various charity shops)

He pulled the socket off and went "Found the bastard!" Immediately. He was absolutely elated. Before going a fun shade of purple and handed me this:

I gave him a 4 pack of beer and he went home after we'd tested and rewired everything. He then only charged me 50 quid... Best electrician.

Bloody hell. It reminds me a bit of this, but in reverse, obviously:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/electrician-in-awe-of-last-electricians-work-20161007114965

We bought our house after the previous owner extended and renovated and kept discovering poo poo like that: pipes of different diameters joined inside a wall and sealed just with silicon; no heat hoods above downlighters so that the circuit literally burned out (three cheers for fire-retardant ceiling panels!); the bathroom slowly sinking into the kitchen because of inadequate joists and noggins, etc. Infuriating.

We just did a renovation ourselves, after being here for nearly 13 years, and that prompted a huge clear-out which s still ongoing. Decluttering and getting rid of stuff is so satisfying. Higher-value stuff gets ebayed, anything else decent gets Freegled (Freegle is brilliant) or charity-shopped, and the rest goes to the dump. I loving LOVE visiting the dump. It's tremendously gratifying. No reason for posting about decluttering, of course. Not at all prompted by the picture of your laden sofa.

Failed Imagineer posted:

E:vvvvv took me a minute but then I laugh

This isn't a terrible idea. It's quite pricey but if you're a serious runner you might get through a couple of pairs of shoes a year if not more. The other aspect is that trainers are environmental disasters. I like trainers but haven't bought for some time because once they are worn out that's it - one has to chuck them - and they are basically impossible to recycle as they are made of a variety of components. I find the idea of throwing away trainers where the uppers might still be fine but the sole is worn away really problematic. it's even worse when they have leather (an animal product that should be respected) or a shitload of non-degradable plastic. I buy Veja and while they are better than others but one still can't resole them, so the fundamental issue remains the same: once the sole goes they are rubbish. These shoes solve that issue as they are fully recyclable. As a new technology yes, they will be more expensive, but we can't complain about environmental degradation, resource exploitation, etc and not be prepared to pay for something better. We can't have it both ways. "It's easy to have principles when it doesn't cost you anything".

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

peanut- posted:

Everyone know this in abstract, but it's still shocking to me when it's just stated plainly.

https://twitter.com/ezzzzzzx/status/1335656384151564289?s=20
"90% of the judiciary went to the same 10% of schools" is a factoid I like dropping on my students that might or might not be true since I got it from a 30 year old journal article that it was only even tangentially relevant to anyway

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Borrovan posted:

"90% of the judiciary went to the same 10% of schools" is a factoid I like dropping on my students that might or might not be true since I got it from a 30 year old journal article that it was only even tangentially relevant to anyway

Pretty sure I saw similar figures in a recent BBC article about education discrimination, maybe a year or two back.

e: It's 71% having gone to Oxbridge according to the 'Elitist Britain' survey from ~2019.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 7, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

At one of the earlier jobs in my 'career' (such as it was at the time), I was asked by my manager to create a certificate for a manager in a team across the corridor, who was frustrated that she never got any certificates for anything.
The certificate I was asked to create was "Person most deserving of getting a certificate".

The fact that it was a joke was completely lost on her, and she was (I think) genuinely really pleased.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Points aren't so much gamification as a way to pass the responsibility of making your employees feel appreciated onto the employees themselves because the boss can't be hosed, imo

Place I used to work just had an "employee incentive trophy" that came with a voucher thingy you could spend anywhere. One time I won it, because I billed over £55k that month (of which my bosses got over 97%, natch).

e: I have not read 1000 pages of Marx, dude's a snooze

Isn't "a voucher thingy you could spend anywhere" just money?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

No because then it'd be even more nakedly obvious that £20 one-time bonus is taking the piss.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I imagine "spend anywhere" means "spend at any sufficiently large chain" so it's still broken money.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't know about you but my dealer doesn't take vouchers.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Find a dealer in work that you can pay in recognition points

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

therattle posted:

This isn't a terrible idea. It's quite pricey but if you're a serious runner you might get through a couple of pairs of shoes a year if not more. The other aspect is that trainers are environmental disasters. I like trainers but haven't bought for some time because once they are worn out that's it - one has to chuck them - and they are basically impossible to recycle as they are made of a variety of components. I find the idea of throwing away trainers where the uppers might still be fine but the sole is worn away really problematic. it's even worse when they have leather (an animal product that should be respected) or a shitload of non-degradable plastic. I buy Veja and while they are better than others but one still can't resole them, so the fundamental issue remains the same: once the sole goes they are rubbish. These shoes solve that issue as they are fully recyclable. As a new technology yes, they will be more expensive, but we can't complain about environmental degradation, resource exploitation, etc and not be prepared to pay for something better. We can't have it both ways. "It's easy to have principles when it doesn't cost you anything".

I'm by no means a serious runner but I can get through a pair of shoes in 4 months, and at £80-£120 a pair (depending on whether they have my size in sales) that's not far off a £25 a month subscription. Of course that assumes I maintain my mileage all the time and don't get injured, or busy, or lazy at which point the lifespan of my shoes can go way up.

Recyclable shoes are something we definitely need, but tying it to a subscription model feels like they're going for the gym membership model of relying on loads of people subscribing and then not using them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
These reward programs are done with vouchers because the company can easily pay the income tax/NI due on the value on the employee's behalf if its a voucher.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Points make prizes at work seems very infantalising imo. Please don't let HR idiots in the public sector get hold of this idea :ohdear:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hey remember when Boris was on a call with company executives about acquiring a bunch of ventilators, and wanted to call it Operation Last Gasp?

Well I was just wondering, has he called the vaccine rollout anything inappropriate yet? Because I would like to offer "Operation Stabbing Spree" for his consideration

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hey remember when Boris was on a call with company executives about acquiring a bunch of ventilators, and wanted to call it Operation Last Gasp?

Well I was just wondering, has he called the vaccine rollout anything inappropriate yet? Because I would like to offer "Operation Stabbing Spree" for his consideration

Operation Shooting Up

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Operation Shooting Up

Pretty sure that's already patented as the US education boards school plan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1335729456481243138?s=19

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Oh good. No way that can go badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Pretty sure that's already patented as the US education boards school plan.

:drat: