Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Bobstar posted:

And presumably "not nominating managers for an award to show your displeasure" works just as well as not voting, likewise?

I think the scheme was quietly wound down after a year, unsurprisingly. Now we get regular management surveys to vote in, but the questions are always phrased so that the answers reflect on the team, so any negative responses make the one answering the question look bad, or else they ask questions that they know they'll get good answers for (e.g. as a white man in an all-white and English team, why yes, there are no issues with managing people from other ethnic groups in my team!).

Edit: Isaac was 37 when he discovered the Mines of Moria

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

do not... become addicted to water my friend...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

forkboy84 posted:

Operation Shooting Up

operation penetration

in re water chat i feel extremely blessed to have never lived anywhere that was even remotely water scarce

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

mediaphage posted:

operation penetration

Johnson can't talk about the results of operation(s) penetration though

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

mediaphage posted:

operation penetration

in re water chat i feel extremely blessed to have never lived anywhere that was even remotely water scarce

Yet.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mediaphage posted:

operation penetration

It's a profound insight to take a moment and realise that you can literally just put out some plastic tarp and a saucepan and never have to worry about dying of thirst at least 300 days of the year, and how untrue that it is for billions of people. Also the lack of Shai Hulud makes walking to the shops a lot less stressful

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

lol at ped enabler and apartheid profiteer hodge being promoted as a voice of wisdom in the guardian

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

no, i know it’s edgy to post responses like this but i’m not worried about the great lakes running out of water soon

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a profound insight to take a moment and realise that you can literally just put out some plastic tarp and a saucepan and never have to worry about dying of thirst at least 300 days of the year, and how untrue that it is for billions of people.

absolutely.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also the lack of Shai Hulud makes walking to the shops a lot less stressful

i lolled

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My dehumidifier makes about 8l a day of theoretically potable (though I'd want to zap it with UVC first) water from our wet rear end air, so as long as there's electricity I'm water safe [grid collapsing sounds intensify].

e:

gh0stpinballa posted:

lol at ped enabler and apartheid profiteer hodge being promoted as a voice of wisdom in the guardian
She's a voice of wisdom if you're interested in profiting from horror and touching kids.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

My dehumidifier makes about 8l a day of theoretically potable (though I'd want to zap it with UVC first) water from our wet rear end air, so as long as there's electricity I'm water safe [grid collapsing sounds intensify].

e:

She's a voice of wisdom if you're interested in profiting from horror and touching kids.

lol meanwhile i’m humidifying my air to avoid the Itches

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Boris doesn't get the credit he deserves for not coming up with an operation name that includes a racial slur.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Speaking of work rewards.

My work just sent out a Christmas gift.

We get to choose 1 of the following

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Would be better if they showed you them for 15 seconds and then you had to name as many as you could and then you get those.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Get the spade, it'll be most useful in post-apocalypseBrexit Britain.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Our work just decided it was easier to pool in for a charity donation this year, save the faff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can buy a 4GB Walkman in 2020? :psyduck:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

stev posted:

You can buy a 4GB Walkman in 2020? :psyduck:

No...but I can get one for free

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a profound insight to take a moment and realise that you can literally just put out some plastic tarp and a saucepan and never have to worry about dying of thirst at least 300 days of the year, and how untrue that it is for billions of people. Also the lack of Shai Hulud makes walking to the shops a lot less stressful now you have a asset that can be traded and that it becomes more valuable as more people start dying

Vigil for Virgil posted:

"aspirationsonline.com"

Guavanaut posted:

Would be better if they showed you them for 15 seconds and then you had to name as many as you could and then you get those.

:hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The backpack looks alright, I already have a screwdriver set.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Ardbeg is actually pretty decent if you enjoy very peaty whisky

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I'm tempted by the shovel as we don't have a ground breaking shovel

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Get the 10yr Ardbeg, a sound investment.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
10 yr old Ardbeg for me please.

Pretty sure my company doesn't do gifts, cos we're small and the head honcho will use Covid as an excuse.

I used to love Christmas time at the plc I worked at previously though. All the corporate gifts get pooled into the Christmas raffle, and there's enough booze and chocolate that virtually all of the 1000+ people in our office got a bottle of wine at the very least.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I have to assume the electricity will collapse before the running water, right? All this for me is a prelude to buying a generator and solar storage.

On the Xmas gift list, I have the Joseph Joseph nesting bowls and they're pretty satisfying tbh. But whiskey brings its own sense of enormous well-being

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd get one of the kitchen things personally, food processor or panini press or those precision lab scales. e: or the nesting Josephs yes.

Shovel looks good too tho.

e: ^^^ Yes I assume electricity and gas will collapse before water, but if the electricity supply is really hosed then there could start to be water interruptions too, and fuel disruptions which is bad news for most generators.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
My work R and R scheme gives out vouchers of £25 to £200. As far as I know it basically wasn't used pre pandemic, there was a big push in May/June as our offices opened up, including appointing 'champions' to promote the scheme and regular updates on how much was being handed out. I got £300 total for developing new covid secure procedures and being first back in to office.

Last update was in July, about £200 total was handed out across about 7 offices and 200+ employees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure you can make your own pointy spade out of a flat spade with an angle grinder.

Also where are you digging that you need a special pointy spade?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's the UK, water supply isn't going to be an issue anytime soon. I think there's some work on connecting up regional water systems so they can redistribute at need to London/SE but that's about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure you can make your own pointy spade out of a flat spade with an angle grinder.

As always, identify your weakest neighbour with the best-stocked garage.

(An aside - I feel like this genre of joke will age poorly as this kind of thing becomes more real. It's basically an eco-fash premise in the first place. But in this case, I am encouraging you to start your cannibal rampage from the highest income bracket and work your way down)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My workplace signed up for a decent discount/cashback website, which has been infinitely more useful than occasional £20 vouchers. If I wait a month or two for stock to stabilise then I should be able to get 8-10% back on a PS5.

There's also an employee portal where you can give people 'high fives' for a job well done; I have never been on that website and did in fact forget the login long, long ago.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's the UK, water supply isn't going to be an issue anytime soon. I think there's some work on connecting up regional water systems so they can redistribute at need to London/SE but that's about it.

Pretty sure the UK is already well set up to redistribute to London/SE

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

We've got a £50 voucher for a gift hamper website to make up for lack of a work Christmas meal this year, which was nice since they sold fancy booze.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vigil for Virgil posted:

I'm tempted by the shovel as we don't have a ground breaking shovel

joining the uk goon murderer club i see

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I'm not a fan of Arberg.

We have a lot of the kitchen stuff on that list anyway.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Vigil for Virgil posted:

This is what would happen if channel 5 brought back the generation game

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like the idea of having a nice brand new spade.

And then maybe the Whisky.

But don't drink and spade.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Operation Shooting Up

Vaccines for everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byq35O4ZZXI&t=38s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you can only pick one I am annoyed by the fact they are offering a 2 slice and 4 slice toaster.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vigil for Virgil posted:

I'm not a fan of Arberg.

Is that where you pour a bottle of Ardbeg and a can of Carlsberg into a big jug? Big fan personally.

E: also assuming Scottish Gaelic is similar enough to Irish here, "Ardbeg" means "small Tall" which I find dumbly entertaining

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is that where you pour a bottle of Ardbeg and a can of Carlsberg into a big jug? Big fan personally.
Whiskey top but with Ardbeg and Carlsberg.

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: also assuming Scottish Gaelic is similar enough to Irish here, "Ardbeg" means "small Tall" which I find dumbly entertaining
Close enough that some of the fiercest defenders of (and therefore historical preservers of) Irish in the 19th century were Presbyterian Highlanders living in Ulster.

Which makes the DUP's deep opposition to the Irish language act as somehow affecting their identity deeply strange, it's almost as if they're just anglo supremacist shites :iiam: