Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

We’ve got a 3 man tribe going on a Valguero win10/Xbox cross play server if anyone feels like joining us, 1157 I think is the number. We got a metal 2 floor house going so far with 1 turret up protecting our windmill. Could use some goon help protecting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Depends posted:

I'm not sure where the 6x structure damage multiplier stops in that cave entrance, I thought it extended until it opened up just past where you are talking about but I may be wrong.

On one PvP Val server I built up on a flat section on the edge of the map south of the swamp area right against the map border wall. People only saw it if they could fly and were looking at the ridge.

Not sure since while that area is a cave, I'm not sure how it operates since technically ALL of Aberration is caves which would mean the structure damage is in effect there as well.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

doomrider7 posted:

Not sure since while that area is a cave, I'm not sure how it operates since technically ALL of Aberration is caves which would mean the structure damage is in effect there as well.

In the main emerald forest area it's normal damage but in the entrance ramp area it's 6x to prevent people from blocking the way in. I'm just not sure where that stops.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Depends posted:

In the main emerald forest area it's normal damage but in the entrance ramp area it's 6x to prevent people from blocking the way in. I'm just not sure where that stops.

I think I do. Just after the first ramp leading down from my base. Every time I go down, there's a briefload pause so that's likely the spot.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Holy poo poo I saw a mech for the first time last night. Walked up to our outer walls and killed everybody in the base. We had 6 people on at the time and got wrecked.

Luckily he didn’t trash the base cause I had just built an industrial forge. Seems like a matter of time though before someone comes in and burns us down.

I can’t believe more people don’t play this poo poo.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Its actually never been more popular but its a big time sink and it was tough for me to keep the whole group as interested as I was. The group I was playing with a lot of them moved onto Minecraft to explore more of the base building stuff.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Harton posted:

Well it's like, reread your post. Does that curbstomping sound like a good time for most people?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Jackard posted:

Well it's like, reread your post. Does that curbstomping sound like a good time for most people?

Yeah it can be annoying but it’s part of why it’s so fun I think. Something like Minecraft would feel obsolete to me after this game.

Also the time sink is real.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Horray I lost days of progress and I was powerless to stop it yaaaayyyy

They need to fix the bug in the game that let's you play online with people you don't know.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

They need to fix the bug in the game that let's you play online with people you don't know.

My complaint from the start was they didn't copy EVE Online's reinforcement timers so that if you wanted to wipe someone out you needed to come back at a time when they know you'll be there.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah it’s probably hard to be a loving crybaby and play this game. My buddy got real sad after losing a bird.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. And that one sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, Son, the strongest castle in all of Valguero.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Harton posted:

Yeah it’s probably hard to be a loving crybaby and play this game. My buddy got real sad after losing a bird.

You sound like a real prize.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Warmachine posted:

You sound like a real prize.

Thanks!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Harton posted:

Maybe chill out a bit?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Maybe chill out a bit?

What you guys are saying seems to negate a big part of what makes this game unique. The fact people can catch you sleeping is interesting. There are probably other games you can play that don’t have these mechanics is all I’m saying.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Also.....NERDS!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Ok but can you maybe treat people better? It's not a youtube comments section, that came off as really lovely.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Sorry I was doing a bit that in retrospect wasn’t all that funny.

I’m still happy about the fall over into the swamp joke though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Harton posted:

Solid joke. Unlike this swamp, which I'm absolutely going to build on.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This game was fun in 2015. Five years ago, while there was still a relatively even playing field, before devs gifted alphas all their horseshit

They thought this was a good trailer! Spacemen effortlessly crushing sleepy farmers underfoot, how Wildcard hosed ARK in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-d9tQ3iAo

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 7, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Wildcard has no restraint and doesn't understand pvp, they just throw poo poo at a wall to see what sticks. How many hundreds of gigs is this up to, now?

"hey that sounds cool, let's throw it in"

Their games are incoherent garbage.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Jackard posted:

This game was fun in 2015. Five years ago, while there was still a relatively even playing field, before devs gifted alphas all their horseshit

They thought this was a good trailer! Spacemen effortlessly crushing sleepy farmers underfoot, how Wildcard hosed ARK in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-d9tQ3iAo

That looks pretty cool.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Sounds like you are sad about video games.

Who killed your bird?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
We all kinda got bored at that level, then it was just another gear grind game. There's obviously tons of stuff you can do but with the base game none of the other mechanics are engaging enough.

Like we started breeding and its an entire almost inexplicable mechanic that's also a huge real world time sink.

I dunno, the most fun was exploring and it all seeming new but once it's an extremely janky halo clone it wasnt fun. The base building is kind of shallow and very "set it once and forget it" and also extremely janky so it does not feel at all rewarding to rebuild.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Harton posted:

Man sure is a mystery but keep at it and maybe you'll figure out why that is.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Harton posted:

The swamp part was funny. I, however, will not be building in the swamp. gently caress leeches.

bus hustler posted:

We all kinda got bored at that level, then it was just another gear grind game. There's obviously tons of stuff you can do but with the base game none of the other mechanics are engaging enough.

Like we started breeding and its an entire almost inexplicable mechanic that's also a huge real world time sink.

I dunno, the most fun was exploring and it all seeming new but once it's an extremely janky halo clone it wasnt fun. The base building is kind of shallow and very "set it once and forget it" and also extremely janky so it does not feel at all rewarding to rebuild.

Yeah, and this is what I'm really on about when I talk about time and effort. The idea of people being able to come around and gently caress with your tames while you need to protect them from getting hit for the duration is neat, but in practice it means you'll just get frustrated when the seagull you didn't see divebombs the beach critter you're taming and knocks off half the taming effectiveness. The idea of being able to breed amazingly powerful creatures is some cool beastmaster poo poo, but in practice it means hundreds of hours of raising babies that will get wiped out the first time someone with a larger force rolls through.

Plus, the ARK netcode and general jank makes PVP just as likely to come down to luck as skill. I'm guessing things are better on small tribes servers and servers with regular progress wipes or admin-run events to keep things fresh, but I'd have more fun cheese-gratering my dick than I would PVPing on official or even most unofficial servers.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i play on a server with my friend and my wife. it's just the three of us. we built a big beautiful wooden house. my wife is figuring out what colors she wants to paint it, i just built us a sitting room with a fireplace and a dance studio with drums and a bar, and my friend is building towers with parapets. eventually we'll go kill the boss to get some tek stuff. i dunno man there are fun ways to play ARK that don't involve getting instantly deleted by a 14 year old with a misspelled racial slur for a username.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Jackard posted:

Man sure is a mystery but keep at it and maybe you'll figure out why that is.

When I stop having fun with a game I generally move on.......

Maybe this is good advice for you?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i play on a server with my friend and my wife. it's just the three of us. we built a big beautiful wooden house. my wife is figuring out what colors she wants to paint it, i just built us a sitting room with a fireplace and a dance studio with drums and a bar, and my friend is building towers with parapets. eventually we'll go kill the boss to get some tek stuff. i dunno man there are fun ways to play ARK that don't involve getting instantly deleted by a 14 year old with a misspelled racial slur for a username.

yeah we know we are specifically talking to that dude who is playing on official servers and getting lubed up over making GBS threads on some kids.

i quite enjoyed the PvE experience but if you don't have a family there are far more rewarding base building games with much less janky base mechanics, IDK. I like how moddable ARK is for what it is though. There's a lot of fun there, but for me it wasn't spending an hour frustratingly shooting darts at something only to have the last hit not register and run out of ammo, or something to otherwise ruin the tame, or following a "friendly" creature for an hour feeding it berries to tame it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

lol

ARK 2 is official. Vin Diesel is in it.

Where the gently caress does this studio get this money, and how can they not get their actual game stable and optimized?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Warmachine posted:

lol

ARK 2 is official. Vin Diesel is in it.

Where the gently caress does this studio get this money, and how can they not get their actual game stable and optimized?

In better and more important news,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nvyh9hPoBM

This legit looks loving awesome.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Love the Ark 2 trailer preparing me for the reality of having to play it at 15 FPS. Is it just me or was the animation on it real choppy?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

E. Revenant posted:

Love the Ark 2 trailer preparing me for the reality of having to play it at 15 FPS. Is it just me or was the animation on it real choppy?

The 3d one? It looked like dogshit in every way it could.
My favorite is the loving blood that looks like it came from a 15 year old 3DSM plug-in.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Am I understanding the lore right, is Vin Diesel playing the guy who unleashed Tek poo poo and was that him like putting the genie back in the bottle? Or were they showcasing MORE tek poo poo?

I swear the "this place is INCREDIBLY hostile and you know nothing" is the best and only fun way to play this game, once you start learning the lore and mechanics it makes me want to go play any other grinding game like Diablo 3.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

doomrider7 posted:

In better and more important news,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nvyh9hPoBM

This legit looks loving awesome.

Holy poo poo that cast list is loving awesome.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bus hustler posted:

Am I understanding the lore right, is Vin Diesel playing the guy who unleashed Tek poo poo and was that him like putting the genie back in the bottle? Or were they showcasing MORE tek poo poo?

I swear the "this place is INCREDIBLY hostile and you know nothing" is the best and only fun way to play this game, once you start learning the lore and mechanics it makes me want to go play any other grinding game like Diablo 3.

I don't know. I enjoy the lore, and wish there was a single player story driven experience for it. It's goofy, but in the cheesy sci-fi way.

Thronde posted:

Holy poo poo that cast list is loving awesome.

Which was even weirder in my mind than the trailer having janky CGI Vin Diesel. I'll be happy if it ends up being a smash hit but also this in Wildcard and their property so I expect something to go fantastically pear-shaped.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

bus hustler posted:

Oddly he doesn't even LOOK like Santiago either(Benicio Del Toro fits better). Lore wise, Santiago worked on some Tek stuff and was guy who made the Tek suits and whatnot which inadvertently caused WW3 when the at the time opposing powers got crazy with it on top of being more a tech savvy guy and hacker.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Santiago

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 11, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Where does all this setting lore come from? The journals you find in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bucnasti posted:

Where does all this setting lore come from? The journals you find in game?

Yes. Survivor notes can be translated from the writers language via toggle option on the corner.