Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

ROS is so bad it retroactively makes TFA worse. AOTC was the worst of the bunch for years but its reign is over

thinking ROS is worse than AOTC is your opinion, but come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine thinking Bounty Hunter Pursuit is bad

How often do Jedi willingly yeet themselves out of a window after a droid?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DD45wBDLNs

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LionArcher posted:

thinking ROS is worse than AOTC is your opinion, but come on.

I think RoS was overall more damaging for the franchise because it was a bad movie that made two other movies worse by association. In a vacuum AotC was a lot worse, but it was ultimately a transitional midpoint that could be skipped over and lead to maybe the best era of EU content.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its like saying "here is some interesting stuff in AOTC" shines a beacon to draw in people to go "NUH UH."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AOTC is the most flawed but also the most interesting. The romance scenes are creaky and the early digital photography can be rough at times (Geonosis being all sandy brown-orange presents its own challenges) but there are some wonderful shots in it. What makes it great though is that it pretty much nails the Republic becoming the Empire- the image of the Republic airships flying in to the rescue, the calvary coming in, but they're all stormtroopers with the Imperial insignia and even the ship guns are little Death Star cannons, it's like "Oh, right, this is how it happened." Lucas nails that historical shift of today's heroes being tomorrow's oppressors.

Plus all the stuff with Obi-Wan as Space Detective is fun, and there's also a shot where the characters fly into the opening of Blade Runner which is great. (Between that and the Harryhausen monsters and the maser tanks straight from Toho, the film's full of cool poo poo from movie land. Lucas makes it a celebration of cool poo poo from everywhere.)

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 7, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AOTC is leagues better than TFA and ROS.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i like half of aotc ironically and half of it unironically which means that its 100% good imo. i went into ros expecting an amazing trainwreck and ended up feeling robbed, it was just dull. george lucas would never do that to me

Davros1 posted:

The scene during the Arena battle which let to this exchange:

Anakin: You call this a diplomatic solution?
Padme: No, I call it aggressive negotiations.

really showed off their chemistry, but unfortunately the nature of the story Lucas was writing didn't lend itself to more scenes like this.

I wonder if Lucas hadn't written himself into a corner in the early days by numbering the films "Ep IV, Ep I", etc hampered him in some ways. Like instead of prequel trilogy, he could have done four in five films which led to more fleshing it. Which we did get, in a way, with the Clone Wars series.

i heard the "negotiations with a lightsaber" line was ad libbed and they added in the call back line later. it kinda makes sense i guess

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

watching the romance scenes in anticipating silence then cheering and throwing couch cushions across the room when anakin says he doesnt like sand

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I never understood why people get so mad at the diner scene.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
At the risk of red texting myself, I have used the sand line as a fence sitting joke/nerdy come on with three different people and ended up making out with all of them. Earnest, clumsy awkwardness can be endearing at the right moments with the right people.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shiroc posted:

At the risk of red texting myself, I have used the sand line as a fence sitting joke/nerdy come on with three different people and ended up making out with all of them. Earnest, clumsy awkwardness can be endearing at the right moments with the right people.
Break out the "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick" in bed to really test your theory

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The ending is super cool. Here's some soldiers, here's thousands of them being loaded onto a ship, here's dozens of ships taking off, welcome to the birth of the Empire. Imperial March plays as the sun sets on the Republic. That's the good poo poo

Shiroc posted:

this is badass. Anakin ftw

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Anakin's fall arguably begins with the tusken raiders and the republic's with the rollout of the clones. Always liked how 2 & 3 rhymed that way

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Obviously it is more obviously "I would like to kiss you but too awkward to just say it" when I used it as a reference but in the context of the movie, I think the idea is that Padme never has ever had someone so obviously attracted to her. She's flattered and he's cute but she realizes it is a stupid idea because he's so hung up on her and its against the Jedi rules/bad space decorum. Its only because of him turning into a sad boy to fix, her breaking her own responsibility to go save Obi-Wan and then everything else going to hell I talked about before that gets them together.

Padme in Clones a really, really hard character and I don't have in mind anyone who could have necessarily done it great.

e: It kind of parallels the Republic too. They're collectively making stupid decisions and not thinking through the longer consequences of their actions made in moments of stress because someone made it easy to make the bad choice.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 7, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like the kind of high melodrama they're going for isn't really something a lot of people even remember how to do. I swear the 2000s were actually worse than average in the 'there is a boy, there is a girl, they obviously must kiss' token romantic subplot department.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah, even moreso when the point is "yeah, these two probably shouldn't be together."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OctoberCountry posted:

I never understood why people get so mad at the diner scene.

I'll die for dexter jettster

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shiroc posted:

Yeah, even moreso when the point is "yeah, these two probably shouldn't be together."

When they genuinely have more in common and have more intelligent discussions than your average 2000s romantic subplot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The emotionally healthy version of Anakin/Padme ends with them having a sit down where Padme says he's a very nice guy but this doesn't make sense and they should take a break after this bodyguarding business is over but they can still be friends when he's in town. Anakin says it's hard but he respects her feelings and he hopes there comes a time where he can be an honest friend to her.

Clearly having more emotional intelligence in this version, the Jedi are more perceptive of their decline, Dooku was never alienated from the Order and they work together to uncover the Sith Lord. The rest of the movies never happen.

Instead she sort of has that conversation (and Anakin does back down) but everyone is set on making cascading terrible decisions all around them and oops fascism.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LionArcher posted:

The Jedi often look like stilted actors with no sword training.

I will have to agree with this. In concept, the scene where Windu says he didn't come alone and all the Jedi ignite their swords should be amazing. But they look like a bunch of clowns striking a pose. I guess it makes sense because they are, and a moment later it would be reveled that they walked into a trap. But I feel like that reveal would have worked a LOT better if you gave the Jedi a brief moment of looking awesome.

Then there are moments in the big battle that ensues where random Jedi swing their swords around like they are random people grabbed from the street and told to do what they thought was Jedi stuff.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I remember at the time people being super jazzed about giant scale battles, so every movie had to try and ape lord of the rings with their own Helms Deep. AOTC was Star Wars answer, and I always thought it looked stupid and really highlighted what an ineffective weapon lightsabers really are when you saw a giant group of them with extras swinging them randomly.

It's been a long time, but I also remember thinking the scene where the lightsabers light up Anakin and Dookus faces being a neat idea that never ended including any coherent shots that showed them actually fighting, and the less said about the Yoda battle, the better.

As ridiculous and over the top as the Phantom Menaces battles were in retrospect, they at least looked coherent. AOTC felt like George also figured he could not only digitally replace the sets and costumes, but the choreographers as well.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Attack of the Clones came out before The Two Towers.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I would say that the hole that Lucas wrote himself into is that he doesn't really establish how old Padme and Anakin are supposed to be in The Phantom Menace. That combined with recasting Anakin with Hayden Christensen makes that romance come off weird and creepy from the start.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Simplex posted:

I would say that the hole that Lucas wrote himself into is that he doesn't really establish how old Padme and Anakin are supposed to be in The Phantom Menace. That combined with recasting Anakin with Hayden Christensen makes that romance come off weird and creepy from the start.

The deleted scene in which Anakin goes to Padme's family home sorta spells it out. They go to her room and she's got photos of her with other hard luck kids (remember anakin was born a slave) from dilapidated worlds she visited while in some kind of Naboo version of the peace corps. It's kind of hosed up in that it establishes Padme likes to be revered by the poor and downtrodden all the while being a mildly creepy pedo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Simplex posted:

That's another of those obviously deliberate things. Anakin likes older women because of mommy issues, which becomes very relevant when his mom dies and he starts murdering lots of people.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

G-III posted:

The deleted scene in which Anakin goes to Padme's family home sorta spells it out. They go to her room and she's got photos of her with other hard luck kids (remember anakin was born a slave) from dilapidated worlds she visited while in some kind of Naboo version of the peace corps. It's kind of hosed up in that it establishes Padme likes to be revered by the poor and downtrodden all the while being a mildly creepy pedo.

:psyduck: that seems like a good scene to include, what the hell.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

piratepilates posted:

Well in true GL fashion it's full of janky acting and it looks like it was legit shot in an upper middle class home. It works thematically when you think it over but it's goofy as hell. Note: Anakin is a former slave and he's virtually ignored by this well to do family. There's a really good contrast to this scene when Anakin and Padme visit the Lars homestead and we see how the rest of the galaxy lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0xqWD1xz5Y

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

piratepilates posted:

Because there's a tension between Star Wars on the one hand being a modern fable of Knights and Wizards and Princesses as the good guys, and on the other the 'democratic opposition' to Emperor Palpatine being a bunch of hyper-capitalist oligarchs and literal nobility.

Lean too much into the latter and the legitimate reading of the films is the one contained in the extremely long post I'm sure SMG is writing right now.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's another of those obviously deliberate things. Anakin likes older women because of mommy issues, which becomes very relevant when his mom dies and he starts murdering lots of people.

I think that's fine, but how does it make Padme likeable at all? It makes her come across as either lacking all agency, or kind of a sexual predator.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

G-III posted:

Well in true GL fashion it's full of janky acting and it looks like it was legit shot in an upper middle class home. It works thematically when you think it over but it's goofy as hell. Note: Anakin is a former slave and he's virtually ignored by this well to do family. There's a really good contrast to this scene when Anakin and Padme visit the Lars homestead and we see how the rest of the galaxy lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0xqWD1xz5Y

Yeah you're right. Like half of the video sucks, the other half could have been good but doesn't really work.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

G-III posted:

I think it highlights the idea of Padme and Anakin's love being a complete disaster from the inside out, which is clearly a legit read (thanks in part to the shaky chemistry between the two). That being said, I like the idea that these two actually had a legitimate love story and might've found happiness but for their circumstances; it reinforces the idea that the Jedi's alienation of the kid through dogmatic tradition is the grand failing that led to Vader. If the love story was doomed from the start, who's to say he wouldn't have gone all force choke-y anyway when he and Padme had some messy break up.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

piratepilates posted:

Yeah you're right. Like half of the video sucks, the other half could have been good but doesn't really work.

It's kind of the challenge with the prequels: lot's of great thematic content, interesting and rich subtext, but unpleasing execution. However I've always preferred messy execution that tries to do and say SOMETHING than a more polished execution that does and says NOTHING like the sequel trilogy.

G-III fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 7, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boxman posted:

I think it highlights the idea of Padme and Anakin's love being a complete disaster from the inside out, which is clearly a legit read (thanks in part to the shaky chemistry between the two). That being said, I like the idea that these two actually had a legitimate love story and might've found happiness but for their circumstances; it reinforces the idea that the Jedi's alienation of the kid through dogmatic tradition is the grand failing that led to Vader. If the love story was doomed from the start, who's to say he wouldn't have gone all force choke-y anyway when he and Padme had some messy break up.

I would like a version of the Prequel story where the Clone Wars are part of Sidious's plan to shape Anakin's development so that he matures as a Jedi through war and thus finds himself inherently susceptible to Sith ideology. The problem is that in AOTC he's already murder happy before any of that starts so it's explicitly an inherent part of who he is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Simplex posted:

I think that's fine, but how does it make Padme likeable at all? It makes her come across as either lacking all agency, or kind of a sexual predator.

The age difference is like a few years, end of teens/early 20s

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alchenar posted:

I would like a version of the Prequel story where the Clone Wars are part of Sidious's plan to shape Anakin's development so that he matures as a Jedi through war and thus finds himself inherently susceptible to Sith ideology. The problem is that in AOTC he's already murder happy before any of that starts so it's explicitly an inherent part of who he is.

Sidious doesn't have a plan to shape Anakin's development. It's just a happy coincidence for him that Jedi training just happened to produce the perfect subordinate for him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

G-III posted:

It's kind of the challenge with the prequels: lot's of great thematic content, interesting and rich subtext, but unpleasing execution. However I've always preferred messy execution that tries to do and say SOMETHING than a more polished execution that does and says NOTHING like the sequel trilogy.

Yep, I think this was a big part of me circling back around and enjoying the prequels—comparing it to the sequels. TFA and RoS have absolutely nothing to say and just make the prequels look so, so, so much better by contrast. TLJ is similar to the prequels in that there is really rich subtext and thematic content within, but instead of being clunky in its construction it's clunky in its storytelling. It works better as an essay about Star Wars than a Star War in and of itself.

But like many Star Wars arguments and film arguments in general, this really all comes down to what you care about most in a movie. Personally I care way more about a film having a strong and pointed thesis and rich thematic throughlines than I do about the narratives of the characters, so TLJ resonates way more to me than, say, the Marvel movies, which nail character narrative but rarely have anything to say. TFA and RoS do neither well. TFA at least sets up compelling characters but then does nothing interesting with them and expects the next film to pick up the threads. If you care more about following these characters on their journeys, then TLJ does a somewhat poor job of furthering those stories so I get why some people don't like them.

The prequels do both thematic content and character narrative well, but are absolute messes of construction, from their unripe digital photography to their shoddy CGI to their awful compositing to their clunkers of scripts and poor directing of actors. So I also get why some people don't like them! Luckily ("luckily") for us, these differences will fuel a thousand years of circular debate on the quality of these films.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

2house2fly posted:

The age difference is like a few years, end of teens/early 20s

To elaborate: Padmé is 14 as of TPM, while Portman was 15/16 at time of filming (and Knightley was 12). Anakin is supposed to be 9, and I believe Lloyd was also 9.

AOTC is 10 years later and ROTS is 3 years after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Why shouldn't the Amidala household look middle class??

Simplex posted:

No one is saying she's likable, she's a space liberal after all! And she didn't groom Anakin, Obiwan and Yoda did that.

Alchenar posted:

He's literally a warrior monk fighter pilot who survived gladiatorial death sports as a child. How is that a problem?