Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Noob here, continuing the playthrough after the tutorial to try to unify Ireland. I had taken Desmond and pressed the claim of some rando in my court to make him a vassal ruling Oriel and Allech to the north, but my chancellor hosed up relations so he didn't like me very much. I made the Ulster duchy title and my wife found a loophole in the law that gave me a claim to Oriel. I then passed limited crown authority and decided to see what would happen if I revoked the vassals title to Oriel. I thought using a hook combined with my claim meant there would be no tyranny and thus it would be cool.

It was not, and the dude rebelled, along with the Earl of Desmond who hated me. My spymaster, the Earl of Ormond, joined them in a Liberty faction. Rather than reload, I decided to see how this played out. I ran around beating up their armies and in the end I had imprisoned the earls of Oriel/Allech, AND Desmond, letting me cleanly revoke their titles and now I directly own all those counties which is a pretty sweet position. This game rules.

Two questions:

1) My spymaster likes me and is still my vassal but also he just tried to overthrow me unless I misunderstood... Should I do something about that?

2) My adult son and heir has no way of life and it won't let me select one... Do I need to land him? Should I give him one of those counties I own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Noob here, continuing the playthrough after the tutorial to try to unify Ireland. I had taken Desmond and pressed the claim of some rando in my court to make him a vassal ruling Oriel and Allech to the north, but my chancellor hosed up relations so he didn't like me very much. I made the Ulster duchy title and my wife found a loophole in the law that gave me a claim to Oriel. I then passed limited crown authority and decided to see what would happen if I revoked the vassals title to Oriel. I thought using a hook combined with my claim meant there would be no tyranny and thus it would be cool.

It was not, and the dude rebelled, along with the Earl of Desmond who hated me. My spymaster, the Earl of Ormond, joined them in a Liberty faction. Rather than reload, I decided to see how this played out. I ran around beating up their armies and in the end I had imprisoned the earls of Oriel/Allech, AND Desmond, letting me cleanly revoke their titles and now I directly own all those counties which is a pretty sweet position. This game rules.

Two questions:

1) My spymaster likes me and is still my vassal but also he just tried to overthrow me unless I misunderstood... Should I do something about that?

2) My adult son and heir has no way of life and it won't let me select one... Do I need to land him? Should I give him one of those counties I own?

1) How did he try to overthrow you? Joining a faction? Vassals will do that. If the war kicks off and you win, throw his rear end in jail and take his stuff.
2) He should accrue perks even if he doesn't have a way of life/land. Giving him land might create more scenarios where things are outside your control.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Did your spymaster actually join the revolt against you? Joining a Liberty faction is insufficient on its own to strip people of their lands.

As for the way of life it seems to be inconsistent, not sure if that's the latest patch or not, but yeah they'll pick one if you land them, though you'll lose most of your control over them if you do.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

1) How did he try to overthrow you? Joining a faction? Vassals will do that. If the war kicks off and you win, throw his rear end in jail and take his stuff.
2) He should accrue perks even if he doesn't have a way of life/land. Giving him land might create more scenarios where things are outside your control.

PittTheElder posted:

Did your spymaster actually join the revolt against you? Joining a Liberty faction is insufficient on its own to strip people of their lands.

As for the way of life it seems to be inconsistent, not sure if that's the latest patch or not, but yeah they'll pick one if you land them, though you'll lose most of your control over them if you do.

Thanks, I loaded an auto save to check and while the spy master was in the Liberty faction, he was in my army as a knight so... I guess we're alright.

Should I land my heir then? It makes sense for RP purposes I guess but I see people saying to never land an heir.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Generally people don't like to land their heirs because landed characters have a lot more agency and they may end up doing stupid things (like say, divorcing the spouse you picked out for them and marrying some rando with a bunch of negative inheritable traits). So long as they're landless in your court they basically can't do anything without you having control over it (aside from loving half your realm, which they will frequently do), and since they're your heir they will never leave to become wanderers.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I guess I never really questioned it - my heir's place was at my court, learning how to rule from my character and getting to know the various factions at play. if he was at some lesser title's court, he wouldn't be prepared for the real thing. But, if I gave him an equal title, then he'd be a rival to neuter or crush.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Also whenever they end up actually inheriting they'll automatically get assigned a bunch of WOL stuff based on their age. So you're only partially missing out in the intervening period (i.e. if you were using them as a councillor or knight)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ah gotcha, thanks!

Dumb question... How can I see what people think of someone else? I'm trying to kill this dude in another court and want to know who doesn't like him so I can recruit some agents

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Even marrying your heir to a landed character is dangerous. My heir's wife sent him into war constantly and my heir got owned and died.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Ah gotcha, thanks!

Dumb question... How can I see what people think of someone else? I'm trying to kill this dude in another court and want to know who doesn't like him so I can recruit some agents

If you start the plot, you can go to the intrigue screen and there'll be a "Recruit Agents" button that, when opened, allows you to see who your target's court and if any of them can be bribed into joining.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I miss honorary titles from CK2 and hope they make a return at some point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FreudianSlippers posted:

Had to form a custom empire because I had no way to get Scotland and form Britannia in this generation and inheritance would've splintered the realm.

However my son is married to the queen of Scotland (thanks to a lot of stabbing) and now my grandson is next in line for that title so I've have Scotland as well before long. My sister is queen of Jerusalem because the Fatamids got absolutely steam rolled and I had an army digitated solely to sieging their capital in Egypt and then running away when all their armies turned away from Jerusalem to defend the capital and another bigger one to actually sieging down the Holy Land

I appreciate a custom empire that seems geographically plausible (unlike the actual Karling successor kingdoms :mad: )

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I just lost half my empire because somehow a 10k peasant stack beat my 12k stack and captured my character. I didn’t even know peasants could win battles

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

I just lost half my empire because somehow a 10k peasant stack beat my 12k stack and captured my character. I didn’t even know peasants could win battles

You had run out of supplies, disembarked, or both.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jerman999 posted:

I miss honorary titles from CK2 and hope they make a return at some point.

There's at least one mod that re-adds them: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2232609362

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

A Typical Goon posted:

Uhh, have you not seen Braveheart?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

For purely roleplaying reasons: is there anyway an accused witch won’t die? I’ve noticed if you spare them, the town will immediately murder the person. I just want to be a nice enlightened ruler and not unnecessarily kill women in my domain.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

For purely roleplaying reasons: is there anyway an accused witch won’t die? I’ve noticed if you spare them, the town will immediately murder the person. I just want to be a nice enlightened ruler and not unnecessarily kill women in my domain.

Isn't the third option always to recruit them to your court? And if you have very high intrigue you can fake their death and recruit them anyways

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

scaterry posted:

Isn't the third option always to recruit them to your court? And if you have very high intrigue you can fake their death and recruit them anyways

Oooo I didn’t know that last one

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there a faster way of getting primogeniture than waiting for the late medieval period to be able to 'research' it? I wanna start blobbing

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a faster way of getting primogeniture than waiting for the late medieval period to be able to 'research' it? I wanna start blobbing

Start as the Byzantine Empire. You can also get it with the decision to Restore Carolingian Empire or Form Archduchy of Austria.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

There's starting/inheriting as the byzantines, forming the archduchy of austria, and restoring carolingian borders. The latter two decisions require forming the holy roman empire, tho.

You can totally start blobbing without primogeniture, just need a way to deal with confederate partition. You can also play one of the cultures that gets house seniority or high partition early, like czech or occitan.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

You can also play one of the cultures that gets house seniority or high partition early, like czech or occitan.

Czech is easy mode as a culture start, and highly recommended for anyone who wants to try a blobbing game. The early single heir succession combined with a good tribal era MaA leads to some really easy consolidation.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man whatever AI changes they made in 1.2 (or one of the smaller 1.2. patches) made AI allies actually useful. I actualy won a couple wars based off of my AI allies helping me siege down and actually joining in on my fights.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Man whatever AI changes they made in 1.2 (or one of the smaller 1.2. patches) made AI allies actually useful. I actualy won a couple wars based off of my AI allies helping me siege down and actually joining in on my fights.

The 1.2.2 patch had a call out that allies would be useful. I’m more excited for that than I was for character creator

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Feeling a sort of a road block vibe in my current game where I'm not really sure where to go next and there's no clear and easy path forward.

I'm the King of Scotland/Ireland/Wales. Obvious thing to do is to invade England and form Britannia.

Ok I can do that, though unfortunately and annoyingly I have no claims and there doesn't seem to be a lot of "easy" ways for me to get my hands on any. No young heirs of major dutchies available nor have I come across any wandering claimants. I'm left to have my bishop slowly fabricate claims. Any ideas how to speed this up or make this more interesting?

Another problem is that while I can invade England for some dutchy or other, then I'm stuck waiting for the truce to end.

While that truce is ticking down, I need somewhere else to expand. Breton perhaps? Normandy? Again I find myself in the same situation with no claims and sparse good leads on any.

It's weird, I feel like earlier in the game I never had issues finding good marriages for alliance and claims but everything has weirdly dried up.

I'd imagine it'll be easier if I have more kids available. Will it help in anyway by getting a concubine and have a bunch of bastard kids? Or as a Catholic does this not aid me at all?

I also noticed that I'm not able to vassalize any nearby dutchies or counties. This is always outright rejected. Not sure if there's any perks I can claim to make this work?

But yeah really not sure what to do next. All I do know is that slowly fabricating claims is gonna get dull and take forever.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 8, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

I'd imagine it'll be easier if I have more kids available. Will it help in anyway by getting a concubine and have a bunch of bastard kids? Or as a Catholic does this not aid me at all?

I also noticed that I'm not able to vassalize any nearby dutchies or counties. This is always outright rejected. Not sure if there's any perks I can claim to make this work?

Concubines/consorts don't produce bastards -- their kids are legitimate and will inherit normally. Actual bastards can be legitimatized, but this will royally piss off your wife and other kids -- which you may well not care about.

Offering vassalization is almost impossible unless both of these are true: a) you are already their de jure liege (e.g. you're the king of Ireland, while they hold a county on the actual physical island of Ireland), and b) they are the exact same religion and culture as you. It also helps if you are at least two tiers above them (king vs. count) and they like you a lot. And there is indeed a perk that helps: "True Ruler," which I believe is in the middle green tree, and which gives +25 acceptance.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 8, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Femtosecond posted:

Feeling a sort of a road block vibe in my current game where I'm not really sure where to go next and there's no clear and easy path forward.

I'm the King of Scotland/Ireland/Wales. Obvious thing to do is to invade England and form Britannia.

Ok I can do that, though unfortunately and annoyingly I have no claims and there doesn't seem to be a lot of "easy" ways for me to get my hands on any. No young heirs of major dutchies available nor have I come across any wandering claimants. I'm left to have my bishop slowly fabricate claims. Any ideas how to speed this up or make this more interesting?

Another problem is that while I can invade England for some dutchy or other, then I'm stuck waiting for the truce to end.

While that truce is ticking down, I need somewhere else to expand. Breton perhaps? Normandy? Again I find myself in the same situation with no claims and sparse good leads on any.

It's weird, I feel like earlier in the game I never had issues finding good marriages for alliance and claims but everything has weirdly dried up.

But yeah really not sure what to do next. All I do know is that slowly fabricating claims is gonna get dull and take forever.

When in doubt, truce break.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Well, when in doubt you should probably be using hostile schemes. Fabricating claims on claimants so you can invite them to your court, murdering people in the line of succession so your dynasty can inherit, murdering rulers you have a truce against to remove the truce, abducting heirs and converting them to foreign religions to instill instability, etc...

I also would start thinking about finding a better faith? Either make one of your own ('fastest' way is to spam a bunch of temples) or educate your heir to have one.(cough cough Ásatrú/ Azraqism) Recommended faiths include anything with warmonger/ pursuit of power for that easy casus belli.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 8, 2020

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I have a bunch of useless dudes in my prison; is there a way to execute them without getting a - 5 opinion on all my guests for "executing another guest"? They're not my guests!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So is there a consensus on the best lifestyle choice? Diplomacy seems incredible for the relationship and stat boosts from having friends

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Tender Bender posted:

I have a bunch of useless dudes in my prison; is there a way to execute them without getting a - 5 opinion on all my guests for "executing another guest"? They're not my guests!

Release them for a weak hook and you won't lose dread and no one will care.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

So is there a consensus on the best lifestyle choice? Diplomacy seems incredible for the relationship and stat boosts from having friends

Thankfully, no. They’re all pretty good and shine in certain situations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Away all Goats posted:

My favorites are Family Hierarch for easy vassal management (with befriend - making friends with important vassals is better imo than the more passive bonuses in the stewardship lifestyles) and some stat boosts for you and your children, doubly so if your vassals are also family members, and Whole of Body if you have a great setup and just wanna live as long as possible. Then, the scholar one because it gives humongous boosts to your stats and tech rate

Whole of body and Scholar are the only ones that I strive to complete for the huge boosts from the final perks, everything else is "fill as you need" (befriend, kidnap, extra fertility, demand payment for hooks etc)

But as said above, every tree has one or more niches to fill so you can actually do whatever and you're probably going to be fine

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 9, 2020

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A God drat Ghost posted:

Release them for a weak hook and you won't lose dread and no one will care.

I was hoping to build some dread by killing some prisoners of war, is "executing another guest" code for "this person hasn't committed a crime so people won't like this"?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

For my 2nd game I started ironman in a single county northern Scandinavia just to see how rough it could be. And pretty fun so far in tribal, expanding easily with tribal CBs and it's nice and chaotic.

Question is, I was googling how to transition from tribal to feudal eventually and all the posts say it's really rough, because you lose every single one of your buildings and nuke your levies/income to nothing. These posts were mostly from early September, though, so: is it still the same? Any ways to mitigate it aside from saving up thousands to rebuild immediately?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nosre posted:

For my 2nd game I started ironman in a single county northern Scandinavia just to see how rough it could be. And pretty fun so far in tribal, expanding easily with tribal CBs and it's nice and chaotic.

Question is, I was googling how to transition from tribal to feudal eventually and all the posts say it's really rough, because you lose every single one of your buildings and nuke your levies/income to nothing. These posts were mostly from early September, though, so: is it still the same? Any ways to mitigate it aside from saving up thousands to rebuild immediately?

You don't lose all your buildings anymore, they get randomly converted. Still, it's probably best to save up some gold beforehand. By the time you transition from tribal to feudal though you'll likely have run out of things to spend money on so this is not as hard as it sounds at first.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tender Bender posted:

I was hoping to build some dread by killing some prisoners of war, is "executing another guest" code for "this person hasn't committed a crime so people won't like this"?

If you took the prisoners in a war that stripped their former liege of land then that might explain why they're being flagged as your guests?

Sometimes when this happens their permanent home is set somewhere else, but if that fails they're thrown into the wandering pool like any other guest and your other guests will be perturbed if you execute them for no reason (so yes, if they'd committed a crime I suspect nobody would be bothered)

If you're that concerned about your guests' opinion for some reason - I forget, does torture give dread? It might not trigger the opinion penalty.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you took the prisoners in a war that stripped their former liege of land then that might explain why they're being flagged as your guests?

Sometimes when this happens their permanent home is set somewhere else, but if that fails they're thrown into the wandering pool like any other guest and your other guests will be perturbed if you execute them for no reason (so yes, if they'd committed a crime I suspect nobody would be bothered)

If you're that concerned about your guests' opinion for some reason - I forget, does torture give dread? It might not trigger the opinion penalty.

I'm pretty sure Torture gives dread, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

Thanks, that makes sense, I did strip the lieges of land. And I was just trying not to tick anyone off, but if my "guests" are just the rando courtiers (and prisoners I guess) hanging around my court then I don't really mind!