Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bitterandtwisted posted:

I watched the Scorsese Cape Fear not long ago and was very disappointed Robert De Niro didn't step on any rakes

gotta get the director's cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i think it's still the one where bart and four friends make a league of legends team.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
its this thread and a few others where i learned some people DONT like the music in bobs burgers, which to me is usually the best part (though some of them are filler & one or two of the full musical eps lands flat)

it seems they've moved most songs to the end credits, probably for that reason & i imagine for easy trimming in syndication for more ads

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not against musical songs/numbers but I actually don't like most of the Bob's Burgers ones. I can't quite put my finger on why, but possibly because they come off like 00's quirky lolrandom humor? I dunno.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

"Electric Love" was a masterpiece, and I feel compelled to jump in on a thread about a different show I no longer watch to express this important opinion

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm not against musical songs/numbers but I actually don't like most of the Bob's Burgers ones. I can't quite put my finger on why, but possibly because they come off like 00's quirky lolrandom humor?

Exactly agree.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the best jokes in classic Simpsons was in the Itchy and Scratchy Land episode, when Marge says "see all that stuff in there Homer? That's why your robot didn't work." It immediately puts an entire episode of the show they never made into your head.

Also it's clearly a last minute change because her voice isn't lip synched.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm not against musical songs/numbers but I actually don't like most of the Bob's Burgers ones. I can't quite put my finger on why, but possibly because they come off like 00's quirky lolrandom humor? I dunno.

That’s pretty accurate. It’s a solid 3 star show, sometimes dipping to 2 and sometimes 4 with thanksgiving or Christmas eps. I began watching while ironing shirts and it felt like how the show is meant to be consumed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Also it's clearly a last minute change because her voice isn't lip synched.

They point these out a lot on Talking Simpsons and I'm glad I never catch them. Probably cause I'm distracted with anticipating the lines.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

They point these out a lot on Talking Simpsons and I'm glad I never catch them. Probably cause I'm distracted with anticipating the lines.

Noticing the shortcuts they have to take is annoying but I blame Fox for being cheap.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s pretty accurate. It’s a solid 3 star show, sometimes dipping to 2 and sometimes 4 with thanksgiving or Christmas eps. I began watching while ironing shirts and it felt like how the show is meant to be consumed.

it's been my "I am cooking now" show for a couple weeks, and yeah. good solid stuff, charming, neither the dizzying highs nor the nauseating lows of the Simpsons

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Bobs Burgers is a great show (I dont mean 5/5 classic simpsons comedy, just in its niche) because the episodes are never based on a real event. On one hand I can't believe they haven't run out of plots and criticize them for finding dumb reasons to "close the restaurant" every episode - they've never once done a The Belchers Go To Japan! or The Belchers Meet Adam Lambert episode or anything close.

I find I like almost every Bob's way more the 2nd time around when we're just rewatching for shits. Because it's never that mean, there are 200 episodes, and most of them aren't actually awful my wife and I will probably die rewatching it. When it lands its as quotable as original Simpsons & "Twinkly Lights" is hands down my favorite modern christmas song.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It really is amazing just how lazy and bland modern simpsons is that I'd rather watch everything else on except it. I mean I do not have discerning tastes people

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Seriously! I have god awful taste, I was watching The Simpsons regularly until Season 23! 23!!

I jumped back in later and got to the episode in season 24 where Patton Oswalt voiced a the kid of a family of hipsters who moved in next door and all the dialog was "blah blah tweetster blah blah mypad blah blah phone apps" and immediately vowed to never watch again.

But I can believe people watch modern simpsons, the rest of my household does. The poo poo that gets play time in this house makes me want to turn inside out. Simpsons isn't even the bottom of the barrel for bad shows good GOD there is some garbage.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bus hustler posted:

Bobs Burgers is a great show (I dont mean 5/5 classic simpsons comedy, just in its niche) because the episodes are never based on a real event. On one hand I can't believe they haven't run out of plots and criticize them for finding dumb reasons to "close the restaurant" every episode - they've never once done a The Belchers Go To Japan! or The Belchers Meet Adam Lambert episode or anything close.

I find I like almost every Bob's way more the 2nd time around when we're just rewatching for shits. Because it's never that mean, there are 200 episodes, and most of them aren't actually awful my wife and I will probably die rewatching it. When it lands its as quotable as original Simpsons & "Twinkly Lights" is hands down my favorite modern christmas song.

the only celebrity cameo I can think of is the one where Carly Simon specifically says that's she's not Carly Simon right before the end credits (which are sung by Carly Simon)

they do an amazing job of worldbuilding, down to the turkey rebellion feeling plausible in-world. and the animation detail is sharp. I noticed that the bathroom fixtures have shutoff valves in the most recent Thanksgiving episode.

it's all quietly charming and they love one another and it's a pleasant show to watch during this particularly boring and terrifying period. I just finished my second trawl through the series and I'll almost certainly start a third.

I got as far as the end of the opening Treehouse Simpsons episode, meanwhile.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

QwertySanchez posted:

Seriously! I have god awful taste, I was watching The Simpsons regularly until Season 23! 23!!

Wow what a loving weirdo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Empty Sandwich posted:

they do an amazing job of worldbuilding, down to the turkey rebellion feeling plausible in-world. and the animation detail is sharp. I noticed that the bathroom fixtures have shutoff valves in the most recent Thanksgiving episode.

I like how they're faithful to stuff like Bob's equesticle tattoo and the restaurant's ridiculous bathroom fixtures years after the only episode they actually mattered in.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The pony episode was a top tier bb episode and I laugh thinking about it

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Milo and POTUS posted:

The pony episode was a top tier bb episode and I laugh thinking about it

I'm definitely a Chariot fan

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
if you dont say "tattoo" that way every time now i dont know how

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Paul F Tompkins is one of my favourite voice actors and seems like a good dude too.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't know if I like the Brony episode or the erotic friend fiction episode of Bob's best. It's extremely cute how Bob hates Tina's interests, but less than he loves Tina. :3:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Lisa gets a B- on her project about Gladys West, who's some mathematician or something, so she gets into a feud with Ms. Hoover and sent to detention until she apologizes. (There is a rap about Gladys West.) Lisa tries a few tactics to get over it, but eventually follows Hoover home and realizes that her life is stupendously sad and feels bad for making it harder. She gives her a back-massaging chair as an apology.

Lots of jokes about Yale in this one, mostly sung by an imagined Yale a capella choir riding unicycles for some reason.

Not a very good episode.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Not a very good episode.

:monocle:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

PostNouveau posted:

Not a very good episode.

So... excellent?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ms. Hoover does not need a backstory. She's just a throwaway character of a miserable teacher.

You know there's some conference call where everyone goes over which character should have a backstory episode

"Alright folks here's out finalists *writes on whiteoard*

1. Jasper
2. Ms. Hoover
3. Just Stamp the Ticket Man
4. Raphael
5. Duffman

Should we vote now?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spaceblancmange posted:

So... excellent?

No

Oh also Shauna sells drugs to the teachers and Mr. Largo buys weed from her.

Shauna is probably the most recent cast addition that actually stuck around and she first showed up in Season 20.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This is another thing that zombie Simpsons does too much like celebrity cameos, which is to force backstories onto characters who don't need them. They can't write interesting plots anymore because they've burned every possible scenario on earth already, so all they're left with is opening the lowest price Koffins in the Krypt out of boredom that are filled with concept art and sound clips.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Oh well, maybe next week. Keep watching!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell it was starting to go too far when Barney got character development.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
But "Professor Barney" is a term that has ingrained itself into my group of friends and is a great tool for discussing a very particular drunk phenomenon.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Data Graham posted:

Hell it was starting to go too far when Barney got character development.

I miss sober barney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oy2HvTsYT4

I gotta do something about him.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Paul F Tompkins is one of my favourite voice actors and seems like a good dude too.

my favorite comedian. he's very specifically kind to and inclusive of other comedians, and just generally is a solid dude.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

I miss sober barney.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Johmlmq-dRU

DA DA DA DUM BA DOOOO

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Still the best possible Windows login sound, hands down.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AHH F/UGH posted:

Ms. Hoover does not need a backstory. She's just a throwaway character of a miserable teacher.

You know there's some conference call where everyone goes over which character should have a backstory episode

"Alright folks here's out finalists *writes on whiteoard*

1. Jasper
2. Ms. Hoover
3. Just Stamp the Ticket Man
4. Raphael
5. Duffman

Should we vote now?"

It's simpler than that, from the above summary, they just rehashed Bart the Lover, from 28 years ago.

PostNouveau posted:

No

Oh also Shauna sells drugs to the teachers and Mr. Largo buys weed from her.

Shauna is probably the most recent cast addition that actually stuck around and she first showed up in Season 20.

I have no clue who the hell Shauna is, I'm probably better for that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I have no clue who the hell Shauna is, I'm probably better for that.

Chalmers' daughter who hangs out with the bullies. I'd say she shows up about 50% of the time the bullies show up at this point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hasturtium posted:

Still the best possible Windows login sound, hands down.

Not sure whether you mean the "DA DA DA DUM BA DOOOO" or the "IT BEGINS", but either one is good :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

Chalmers' daughter who hangs out with the bullies. I'd say she shows up about 50% of the time the bullies show up at this point.

Who's daughter is she voiced by IRL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Who's daughter is she voiced by IRL?

She's been Tress MacNeille the whole time, surprisingly.