Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have a launch day switch, the launch day joycons started getting right stick drift after about two and a half years and I bought a pair of the yellow ones as replacement and they still work fine with no issues and the purple/orange ones I bought a month ago also still working fine. I'm contemplating getting a case and control stick mod and doing some tooling around with drifting pair and seeing if I can fix them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Okay.

The reason why they make it so hard to get them to repair them, particularly in the EU, is so you just buy a new one instead of having to deal with it.
Is that better Mr. Doug Bowser sir.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got them repaired for free in the EU, what the gently caress are you on about

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can, doesn't mean it was easy to get them to do it and required actual news outlets reporting on it to get them to adapt practice.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/24/nintendo-fix-joy-con-drift-problem-free-10450814/

As for the intent behind it, continuing to manufacture a product with known flaws in the same way, resulting in more products with the same flaw (even carried over to the Switch Lite) is an intent to not fix the actual problem.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My launch joycon are fine but I hardly ever use them at all, it's pro controller 95% of the time, I just don't use handheld a lot. I had to send one in a couple years ago cause it stopped charging

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This thread is even more miserable than usual. Yeesh. I hope for our sake something happens at TGA.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My launch Joy Cons got drift and so did the neon yellow ones I bought when ARMS came out and Nintendo replaced them both for free. They also replaced the Splatoon special edition ones that came with my wife’s Splatoon 2 Switch when they developed drift. Nintendo is still replacing them for free as far as I know!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

This thread is even more miserable than usual. Yeesh. I hope for our sake something happens at TGA.

Is there any first party drops between now and February (3D World)?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

do we have any confirmation that nintendo actually makes games anymore? or have they just fully shifted into porting Wii U games instead?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're gonna run out pretty soon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Muscle Tracer posted:

do we have any confirmation that nintendo actually makes games anymore? or have they just fully shifted into porting Wii U games instead?

You gotta remember Covid's hosed everything over this year, including game development. WiiU ports make a nice stopgap while adjusting to the logistics of distributed teams working from home.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity just came out and they’re currently working on Breath of the Wild 2.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'll gladly take a Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with sloppy frames (the reason they decided against porting it, iirc) at this point.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Maybe they'll randomly announce the Pokemon Snap release date on Twitter between now and February. I never had a Wii U so I've been digging the ports, but these release droughts have been doing wonders for my backlog.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Muscle Tracer posted:

My uncle said they're actually transitioning into a pizza delivery company, strange but true

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity just came out and they’re currently working on Breath of the Wild 2.

Omega force makes hyrule warriors. I hope you get fired for this blunder

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What was the last in-house Nintendo game that wasn't a port....

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Age of Calamity is fun, though I keep getting sidetracked trying to do the optional stuff and farm materials for quests even though half of them are for characters I don't care about using. Impa continues to murder the hell out of everything because the first weapon polish I did for her gave a weapon that had something like 46 base atk and 76 or so at level 10.

Also found a royal claymore for link while exploring a level and noticing one of those hidden chests, so time for :black101:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

How quick we are to forget nice things like Animal Crossing and Luigi’s Mansion 3

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My son gets to pick one big game for Christmas, and up until this weekend, it was very much Age of Calamity. He recently switched it to Paper Mario.

It's definitely up to him, but I'm kind of way more interested in playing AoC than I am PM, despite me still not having finished BOTW, and also having played the first two PM games. I know Origami King isn't like them and that's fine. Is it a pretty big game? I was excited for Pikmin 3 until way too many people kept talking about how disappointingly short it was.

I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter; I'll just end up buying a few indie games that I've been eyeing, but even if I don't end up doing that, I still have great stuff on my Switch, like Resident Evil 4, and.... Invisible Inc :getin:

Anyone have anything to say about the Switch versions of the following games:

Superhot
Monaco
Darkest Dungeon
Minecraft Dungeons

Any feedback is appreciated. I've played Monaco and DD on Steam, but have never played Superhot or MD at all.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Do you guys remember in the first switch thread there was a goon who bought all variations of joycon colors and would post pictures of them. They had like 10 pairs or something. I feel bad for that goon, I hope they had good luck with the sticks

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Superhot is as good on Switch as it is on PS4, or I didn’t notice anything that I’d consider ‘worse’ about it. Although the free DLC ‘Mind Control Delete’ isn’t out on Switch, but I assume will come out eventually.

Edit: oh I guess they’re working on it https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/superhot_mind_control_delete_will_come_to_nintendo_switch_eventually

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 7, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Jump Rope Challenge

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pape Mario was this year wasn’t it?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Darkest Dungeon runs pretty well, although controller input are a little clumsy since the game was designed with a very 'mouse and keyboard' interface. It's a great game for short bursts tho- even 'long' dungeons can be cleared in about 20-30 minutes and is easy to break into bite-sized chunks.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Minecraft Dungeons is pretty much Diablo-lite. There's no classes or skills, you just build your character however you like with weapons and magic items. It's ok if you really like Minecraft, and there's another DLC level coming out soon, but I lost interest after I beat the main quest.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Superhot
Monaco
Darkest Dungeon
Minecraft Dungeons

Any feedback is appreciated. I've played Monaco and DD on Steam, but have never played Superhot or MD at all.

The only one of those games I've played is Minecraft dungeons, but not since the dlcs came out.

Its good mindless fun. Run around spaming attacks, making stuff explode and hunting out secrets and better gear.

Short though, i think the base game takes 10 or so hours to complete. But that's probably for the best as the game doesn't have the kind of depth to its game play that would warrant a huge playtime.

Perfect game to play with a kid.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Sakurazuka posted:

Xenoblade Def. count?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Superhot
Monaco
Darkest Dungeon
Minecraft Dungeons

Darkest Dungeon performs just as well as anywhere else, but the controls are awkward and the text looks really small, especially on handheld. I would recommend sticking with the PC version

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

lol

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I wish SMM2 was still getting updates. It really feels like nintendo washed their hands of it and that it's merely a 9/10 instead of the 12/10 it should be.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If Nintendo is going to keep porting then maybe please someday get around to Sin and Punishment?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

My son gets to pick one big game for Christmas, and up until this weekend, it was very much Age of Calamity. He recently switched it to Paper Mario.

It's definitely up to him, but I'm kind of way more interested in playing AoC than I am PM, despite me still not having finished BOTW, and also having played the first two PM games. I know Origami King isn't like them and that's fine. Is it a pretty big game? I was excited for Pikmin 3 until way too many people kept talking about how disappointingly short it was.

It does the typical Paper Mario formula where there's seven things you need to go track down with a bad guy guarding each one, so it should be decently long. I on and off watched a streamer play through some of the later sections and it seemed like there was a decent amount of meat to getting to the fourth and fifth ones.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Fly Ricky posted:

What's the relubrication step? My Pro Controller has a nasty case of stick drift and contact cleaner is barely doing anything at this point.

Dumb question, but you're taking it all apart and spraying it directly onto the stickbox, right? Any dielectric lubricant or grease that's plastic safe will do. I only had WD-40 silicone lubricant on hand and it worked in a pinch, but you can probably get fancy with it using some kind of white lithium grease. I spray the contact cleaner on the pots on the side, as well as in the box itself to get rid of any gunk, let it dry, and then relubricate them.

As with all moving parts though it's important to remember that it's a wear item. Learning how to solder is probably one of the most useful skills I've picked up, and I've probably saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the years by replacing random $1 parts rather than the entire thing when a mouse starts double clicking or a controller starts drifting. I just upgraded to a newer, bigger TV that I someone threw out that I was able to fix for $20, it's pretty sweet. My fleet of Xbox 360 controllers I use for PC games has also been going strong after all these years and some occasional maintenance.

If you want to go the replacement route, I took mine apart and the stickbox looks to be the Alps RKJXV series, if you want to make sure you're not getting a counterfeit. Here's the part available from a reputable component supplier for $2 USD. The last letter in the product ID is different but it otherwise looks to be the same. Just make sure that it's a resin shaft model (their operating life is 2 million cycles compared to 100k on the metal shaft versions), that it has a lever return mechanism, and a center button push capability.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 7, 2020

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I still think Mario Kart 8 is like the perfect distillation of a kart racer (and looks loving gorgeous, I played it a friends and bought a refurbished WiiU like a day later).

But!

Sonic Transformed makes a very, very good argument too. It takes DKR's addition of boats and planed and instead has them literally transforming mid race as the level changes. I'm not even that big of a Sega fanboy (outside of Jet Set Radio, maybe) but it is the one and only kart racer that can explicitly hold its own. Also has a kickass mission mode too (bring it back from Mario Kart DS, you cowards!)

Beenox's Crash Team Racing is an excellent remaster too. Got a poo poo ton of people bitching about cosmetic microtransactions added after launch, but I got a good amount of free tracks and easily unlockable extra characters, so I'm not complaining.

Never tried Sonic Team Racing, is it any good or just dull?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Justin_Brett posted:

It does the typical Paper Mario formula where there's seven things you need to go track down with a bad guy guarding each one, so it should be decently long. I on and off watched a streamer play through some of the later sections and it seemed like there was a decent amount of meat to getting to the fourth and fifth ones.

There's five things you need to track down. But there is a LOT to do in the game, and it's well worth a play.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/1335930662977671173

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?
Game Stop DotD is Pokken at $35 for a used copy, is this worth it? I’m not super into fighting games but had fun with the demo a few months ago and it doesn’t seem like they really discount this game, even thoughts a wiiu port lol.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fallom posted:

Internet smuglords like to trot this out but it is in no way an ironclad obligation to go scorched earth and that is well evident from the fact that not all companies are equally litigious over these things yet they don’t appear to be losing their rights.

If you make a Sonic fan game Sega will go “lol, cool” and even post it on the official Twitter.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I hate bringing up resetera but when it comes to Etika, shortly before his suicide he had said some problematic things in one of his videos which in retrospect may have been a cry for help or just lashing out at expectations of him/all the pressure he was under, and resetera had a huge thread which he definitely read of all of them calling him a piece of poo poo who should just go away, and his suicide was like a week later.

And a moderator joined in!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My launch Joy Cons got drift and so did the neon yellow ones I bought when ARMS came out and Nintendo replaced them both for free. They also replaced the Splatoon special edition ones that came with my wife’s Splatoon 2 Switch when they developed drift. Nintendo is still replacing them for free as far as I know!

I sent two pairs of Joy-Cons in last July and they were all replaced for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have not learned this lesson and gently caress up every 9-12 months but if youre not into fighting games dont buy a fighting game imo