Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
so did the artist use an etch-a-sketch or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Faces aside, a lot of those lines they decided to ink are inexplicable. I'm pretty sure like a third of them were guidelines for shading and definition and not actually supposed to be inked.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
For the record that's from The Authority v2/2003 #5.

Tan Eng Huat is credited with "art", and Dave Baron with colors. It's essentially a fill-in issue, as Dwayne Turner, Sal Regla, and Dave Baron were the art team for issues 1-4 and 6-13 of the series, with Regla/Baron working over Whilce Portacio pencils for the 14th and final issue.

He mostly does concept art these days, but he drew most of John Arcudi's 2001 Doom Patrol revival and a big chunk of Simon Spurrier's Legion run of X-Men Legacy. He uses a lot of lines (and draws some divisive faces) but to echo what was said above, the page posted seems like a mix between "rush job", "someone colored it straight from pencils", and "maybe he was trying out a slightly new style that didn't really work".

Here's a random "page with a fair number of faces" from Doom Patrol circa 2001

And another from 2011's X-Men Legacy

In general he's pretty cool, here's his Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/tan_enghuat/?hl=en

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh wow, yeah, those are much better. The Doom Patrol page is still a little wonky, but the other is great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What's with surfer hair Goku there?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What's with surfer hair Goku there?

I’m pretty sure that’s Legion, Professor X’s very powerful very unstable son

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bro Dad posted:

The Authority #5

I have many questions.

But my main one is "is everyone made out of balsa wood in this comic?" Because whoa.

I don't know if I can chalk it up to the inker or not either. Those thin lines on the faces are ostensibly there for a reason, I would like to think, but I can't ascertain what reason that might be. For a second, I thought they might be there for the colorist to suggest highlights and shadows (like a paint by number) but, upon closer inspection, that doesn't make sense either.

Structurally, compositionally and proportion wise, I think I could work with this if you gave it to me to ink. The layouts are fine. The artist almost seems like he's trying to invoke Walt Simonson but Walt, even though he can be blocky and a little line happy, usually doesn't add lines that don't actually describe something.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Libra posted:

Faces aside, a lot of those lines they decided to ink are inexplicable. I'm pretty sure like a third of them were guidelines for shading and definition and not actually supposed to be inked.

That was my exact thought. You see lines like that all the time from penciled work before it gets shaded in by the inker or colorist.

But this looks like they just came in and inked every single line they could find on the page. :psypop:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Second Lieutentant "We Gave Him A Map To An Iceberg, How Were We To Know?", v5 #14 1999

Whole issue is pretty good, art-wise. B&W except for Skull, until near the end of the book - you get weird dreams when you're destroyed by/commingled with a Cosmic Cube.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

That was my exact thought. You see lines like that all the time from penciled work before it gets shaded in by the inker or colorist.

But this looks like they just came in and inked every single line they could find on the page. :psypop:

Yeah, the lines on the arms in particular are just wonky as hell, but would make sense as guides to a colourist or for shading.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Bro Dad posted:

The Authority #5

This looks like someone is aping 1999ish Travis Charest pretty hard.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spider-Man Team-Up #4 (1996)
Pencils: Darick Robertson
Inks: Andrew Pepoy

Pencils: Brandon McKinney
Inks: Chris Ivy

The Amazing Scarlet Spider #1 (1995)
Pencils: Mark Bagley
Inks: Larry Mahlstedt

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Darthemed posted:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?!?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Darthemed posted:

This is just a drawing of Andrew Garfield.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I miss when games had big head mode too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darthemed posted:

That's quite the neck there. Was he bitten by a radioactive giraffe?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Silver Surfer #10 (1988)
Pencils: Marshall Rogers
Inks: Joe Rubinstein

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just giving dismissive half-arm waves to your boss.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darthemed posted:

IIRC this is the era where editorial was making them stretch out the passing of the baton between Peter and Ben so that they could keep Ben in the Scarlet Spider suit longer because readers liked that suit, and everyone in the creative team was really annoyed about it and half assed all the Scarlet Spider comics.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

That's quite the neck there. Was he bitten by a radioactive giraffe?

That's weird because Bagley was real good on Ultimate Spiderman but that's some lazy rear end line work

That whole post looked like they were inked with Bic pens

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He definitely rushed his two issues, layouts only. I think every Scarlet Spider comic from that stretch were thrown together in a week.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Darthemed posted:

Pencils: Brandon McKinney
Inks: Chris Ivy

<insert balloon-rubbing noises here>

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ygolonac posted:

<insert balloon-rubbing noises here>

https://archive.org/details/TNGTheWoundedPetersCut
(skip to 23:10)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gene Simmons?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Looking past the whole hyper-gaunt cheeks thing: the eyes look like they're from a different piece. Or maybe they've been hastily resized.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

Gene Simmons?

Nah. Chief from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest found his niche.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Adam Driver, surely?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't even notice the woman in the bottom left at first. I love her expression holding those two guns. It's like the murderous version of

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
All prettiness aside, the cover is by Jim Terry, who like pretty much everyone involved in the book is a member of a Native nation. The art is exaggerated (and honestly looks a little 'off' from his normal style, possibly because it's inked and/or colored by Brian Reber, ) but I can fully believe some of the exaggeration is very deliberate in the sense that so many non-white characters in superhero comics (including everyone on that cover) are generally drawn so that they look like pallete-swapped white people. If you're doing a book based on the idea of representation, I can see how you would want to course correct that, and maybe err on the side of over correcting.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I honestly like that guy's face a lot. He's distinctive in a charming way, rather than being just another Generic Interchangeable Handsome Man like most superheroes. He feels a lot more real.

However, I will poke fun at Scowly McKnifedude on the left there. The nineties are over, man!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Being scowly and having two knives is all he has.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Maybe it's the eyes, but I get strong Tommy Wiseau vibes off this.

"O hai, fists!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WaffleZombie posted:

Maybe it's the eyes, but I get strong Tommy Wiseau vibes off this.

"O hai, fists!"
The art style reminds me of Carlos Ezquerra, particularly the mouth.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I don't hate that cover. It's pretty 90s, sure, but the anatomy is competent, the characters are distinct, the poses are believable... The cheekbones guy clearly isn't an error, he's meant to look that way.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
ITT: people who are treating a stylized person w/ indigenous ancestry as if they were a badly drawn white dude

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

goatface posted:

Being scowly and having two knives is all he has.

In the Days of Future Past movie, Warpath had the most darkly funny deaths. His friends just got brutally owned by the Sentinels who now converge on him, and he pulls a loving knife, scowls and dies.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Venom: The Madness #2 (1993)
Pencils & Inks: Kelley Jones

Venom: The Madness #2 (1993)
Pencils: Kelley Jones
Inks: John Beatty

Venom: The Madness #3 (1994)
Pencils: Kelley Jones
Inks: John Beatty; Al Milgrom; Kent Williams

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #1 (2010)
Pencils & Inks: Mico Suayan

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like inhuman chonky Marko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

ITT: people who are treating a stylized person w/ indigenous ancestry as if they were a badly drawn white dude

I didn't post it because I thought it was particularly badly drawn (in retrospect the thread with bad art in the title was a poor choice), it was because I found his expression out of place. He's in a traditional action pose, yet the face (to me) just looks sad/melancholy.