Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

FCKGW posted:

I wonder if they forcasted a different split between Macbook Air and Macbook Pro buyers and didn't expect nearly everyone to hop on the 16gb/1tb Macbook Air train.

Maybe, but it doesn’t really explain why previous orders would be pushed back so far. Delivery windows for new orders sure.

I’d guess some factory workers tested positive for covid and slowed down production, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I think they knew. Under the older paradigm, not releasing a MacBook Pro would’ve pissed people off and they would’ve been scared off by the potential of better thermals in the Pro.

I don’t think Apple expected it to be quite the sacrificial lamb that’s it’s become, but I think they did want people’s expectations/understandings about the Air and cheap Pro to change.

Remember that people were super happy about the quad core 2020 Intel Air until the long term reviews started coming out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks for this post.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Let's not forget the cottage industry that sprung up from people trying to compensate for Apple removing the fan from the Intel 2020 Airs by going through every iteration of copper heat sinks and shims they could shove in there to keep the CPU from boiling over..

I want to order an M1 myself but only on the chance they offer a beefier GPU later..

Interesting that the iGPUs shipping with Ice Lake CPUs are being touted as being as good as Radeon 460s / nVidia 1050s where the 8 core GPU in the M1 is cited as having performance equivalent to 1050 Ti and Radeon 560 discrete GPUs.. I wonder if Apple will consider this 'good enough' for low-end and pump up the next Mx chip for 16-inchers and (ha) Mac Pros to something ridiculous?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Let's not forget the cottage industry that sprung up from people trying to compensate for Apple removing the fan from the Intel 2020 Airs by going through every iteration of copper heat sinks and shims they could shove in there to keep the CPU from boiling over..

I want to order an M1 myself but only on the chance they offer a beefier GPU later..

Interesting that the iGPUs shipping with Ice Lake CPUs are being touted as being as good as Radeon 460s / nVidia 1050s where the 8 core GPU in the M1 is cited as having performance equivalent to 1050 Ti and Radeon 560 discrete GPUs.. I wonder if Apple will consider this 'good enough' for low-end and pump up the next Mx chip for 16-inchers and (ha) Mac Pros to something ridiculous?

Not a chance, every single computer Apple makes has to perform dramatically better than its Intel predecessor (especially at this point when the M1 has generated so much hype). That’s the only way that this transition can work.

If the AS Mac Pro doesn’t scale the way the Air did it’s gonna be a PR disaster for Apple.

Edit- I misread your post: yeah I can’t imagine the M1X and above packing only a GPU as good as the Air in them. That wouldn’t make any sense. But the M1 beating Ice Lake’s iGPU so handily is certainly a great first showing.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 5, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ah drat. Can't find any of those in Europe. Another question. Will the Macbook Pro run on charger only without a battery (only to see if it actually works before I spend money on a battery)?

I think ifixit is also a recommended brand and they have an EU store.

https://eustore.ifixit.com/collections/macbook-pro

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mediaphage posted:

this is interesting, i didn't notice on my air but that might be because it's so old and slow i've just got stockholm syndrome

It's possible on the Air and other ultra-low-power models they never draw more power than the brick can provide so no need to downclock.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

~Coxy posted:

It's possible on the Air and other ultra-low-power models they never draw more power than the brick can provide so no need to downclock.

yeah i’ll dig it out later and see what it draws / how it’s clocked without the battery

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think ifixit is also a recommended brand and they have an EU store.

https://eustore.ifixit.com/collections/macbook-pro

Nice, thanks!

Ok Comboomer posted:

There are better ways of getting your hands on a cheap used Mac than salvaging somebody’s dumped CP evidence, such as buying one from the panoply of goons on SA Mart looking to upgrade to M1

I'm super happy with my Lenovo ThinkPad that I just got. If for nothing else, the keyboard is magic.
Also please let there be no CP on this... instant reformat before I even use it.

Edit: Just saw the thread title. Very nice. :)

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 6, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I have had a gen 8 iPad on order as a gift for 3 weeks from Amazon. They just texted me to say they were refunding me, not in stock until the 16th? Guess I'll roll the dice ha

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nice, thanks!

I'm super happy with my Lenovo ThinkPad that I just got. If for nothing else, the keyboard is magic.
Also please let there be no CP on this... instant reformat before I even use it.

Edit: Just saw the thread title. Very nice. :)

Go ahead and buy an older style SATA style SSD for that MBP while you're at it. Get something like a Crucial or Samsung EVO with 500 GB should be relatively cheap. The hardware on that 2010 MBP is severely outdated but the SSD alone will make it actually usable and you can always throw it into another machine or make it a portable SSD with an enclosure if you ever get rid of the MBP.

The RAM is also easily upgradable on that machine and would probably make a huge difference as well (but not as much as the SSD, seriously get an SSD). I think the 2010 13" MBP base model comes only with 4GB of RAM. It's upgradable to 8GB but you'd need to get 2x4GB modules.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The RAM is also easily upgradable on that machine and would probably make a huge difference as well (but not as much as the SSD, seriously get an SSD). I think the 2010 13" MBP base model comes only with 4GB of RAM. It's upgradable to 8GB but you'd need to get 2x4GB modules.
You can stick 16GB in the 2010 13" MBP :eng101:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Intel Macbook Air down to $699 starting at Costco if you still need an Intel Mac for some reason

https://www.costco.com/apple-macbook-air-13%22---intel-core-i3---8gb-memory---256gb-ssd.product.100532007.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
cat heater

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Intel Macbook Air down to $699 starting at Costco if you still need an Intel Mac for some reason

https://www.costco.com/apple-macbook-air-13%22---intel-core-i3---8gb-memory---256gb-ssd.product.100532007.html

So many disappointed kids are going to be getting those for Christmas

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wouldn't want one but if you need or just really want a mac, and can't swing a thousand bux, it's not the worst way to go

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

i wouldn't want one but if you need or just really want a mac, and can't swing a thousand bux, it's not the worst way to go

Unless you get the dual core one.

Oh God, it is, too. Yeah gently caress no.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Unless you get the dual core one.

Oh God, it is, too. Yeah gently caress no.

i mean i think the right way to go in this case anyway is to buy one of the thousands of firesale laptops nerds are frantically pushing onto classifieds sites

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

why the gently caress doesn't apple still make the wired extended keyboard? the magic keyboard does not feel the same at all. It was great and only $50! I just had to pay over $70 for one on eBay new.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is it worth getting the battery serviced/replaced on a 2014 i7/16GB/2512GB 13" MBP? It's got the dreaded "Service recommended" note in System Information. I don't know what the service cost would be.

I only keep it around to run older software or use the USB SuperDrive when I find an old CD/DVD lying around and want to rip it. Resale/trade-in value is not worth looking for the box. Is there anything preventing me from extending its life just by plugging it in when I take it out of the drawer for a task and ignoring the battery?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

Is there anything preventing me from extending its life just by plugging it in when I take it out of the drawer for a task and ignoring the battery?

It will run at half speed if you do that but it sounds like maybe that’s not an issue.

It’s still a decent enough little machine that personally I’d replace the battery :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a Retina right? it's $200

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

yesterday the T key on my 2015 MBP started having issues where only a direct strike on the middle of the key sends a signal but not when pressing down on the edges or corners of the key. tried cleaning and reseating the keycap but that doesn't seem to have had any effect. Any ideas?

Well I hosed up and snapped off some of the plastic hooks on the keycap. What's a reputable place to buy single replacement caps? Early 2015 MBP Retina if it matters

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

MarcusSA posted:

It will run at half speed if you do that but it sounds like maybe that’s not an issue.

Ah, right, thanks.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a Retina right? it's $200

$200 for the battery replacement?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Go ahead and buy an older style SATA style SSD for that MBP while you're at it. Get something like a Crucial or Samsung EVO with 500 GB should be relatively cheap. The hardware on that 2010 MBP is severely outdated but the SSD alone will make it actually usable and you can always throw it into another machine or make it a portable SSD with an enclosure if you ever get rid of the MBP.

Yeah am considering it. I think it won't make financial sense if I decide to sell it, but if I'm keeping it I'll do at least the RAM upgrade.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

beefnoodle posted:

Ah, right, thanks.

Yeah it's $200 for the Retina ones. My old 2012 Air cost $130 for replacement. To be fair the batteries on Macs are huge compared to most laptops.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

One of the Airs I had ordered, which was originally scheduled to arrive Dec 21-29, is scheduled to be delivered today. So don't lose hope goons!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bloomberg is spoiling even better M1/x chips for future Macs..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-07/apple-preps-next-mac-chips-with-aim-to-outclass-highest-end-pcs

Of particular note:

Bloomberg posted:

For higher-end desktop computers, planned for later in 2021 and a new half-sized Mac Pro planned to launch by 2022, Apple is testing a chip design with as many as 32 high-performance cores.

Whoof, just an 8-core M1 is walloping Intel performance, 16 / 32 cores should allow pretty fast Windows emu..

quote:

Apple engineers are also developing more ambitious graphics processors. Today’s M1 processors are offered with a custom Apple graphics engine that comes in either 7- or 8-core variations. For its future high-end laptops and mid-range desktops, Apple is testing 16-core and 32-core graphics parts.

Welp, if an 8-core GPU does well enough to keep pace with low-end discrete GPUs, double that should..

quote:

For later in 2021 or potentially 2022, Apple is working on pricier graphics upgrades with 64 and 128 dedicated cores aimed at its highest-end machines, the people said. Those graphics chips would be several times faster than the current graphics modules Apple uses from Nvidia and AMD in its Intel-powered hardware.

Emphasis added by me, there.. whhhhhaaaaaaaaaa..... FASTER than Nvidia and AMD??!!

Not that gaming was ever decent on Macs, but this puts things in an interesting perspective..

At the very least, if I get an M1/M2/Mxxx I will finally have a machine that doesn't approach corona-level temperatures just to run Zoom with 12 simultaneous videos of bored hipsters..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 7, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Now all we need is for AAA game devs to actually take macOS seriously as a platform and port things. I’d give my left nut to be able to ditch my gaming pc and just use a Mac.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Now all we need is for AAA game devs to actually take macOS seriously as a platform and port things. I’d give my left nut to be able to ditch my gaming pc and just use a Mac.

all depends on how much apple gives a poo poo to position the platform thus. given the unified architectures across all their devices now, though, if this were legit, it would make it really easy for them to also push the apple tv as a serious gaming competitor.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

FCKGW posted:

Now I don't feel quite as bad selling that model for $700 a few weeks ago.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Those 64/128 core GPUs, if they ever came to fruition, would dovetail nicely with Apple's reputed push into VR with its glasses and all that..

Oculus yanked the Mac off of its supported platforms a while back, wonder if beefier Mx chips would bring them back.

It'd be pretty sad if a game came out and it said something like 'required: minimum M2 CPU with 64-core GPU or better'

But you know it will eventually

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mediaphage posted:

all depends on how much apple gives a poo poo to position the platform thus. given the unified architectures across all their devices now, though, if this were legit, it would make it really easy for them to also push the apple tv as a serious gaming competitor.

It's just a matter of seeking rent. Apple won't get into gaming unless it gets a healthy cut of the profit. To do that right now, they would have to throw a ton of cash around, which doesn't seem like their style. I think they're gonna keep using Apple Arcade to build a bench of indie devs who are locked into their ecosystem and go from there. I don't think they're gonna get into AAA for years, if at all.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

One of the Airs I had ordered, which was originally scheduled to arrive Dec 21-29, is scheduled to be delivered today. So don't lose hope goons!

Mine has been in December 31 limbo for 2 weeks now, so hopefully I get lucky.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It’s still a decent enough little machine that personally I’d replace the battery :shrug:

Can I ask where you got this half speed data? In my experience it’s much better than half speed. It seems like 80% speed typically, and only when you’re pushing the CPU (ie It won’t effect web browsing). Granted, this is use experience over many systems and not hard data so I could be wrong.

Additionally, the speed reduction issue really only applies when the machine can’t see the battery at all, or the battery voltage is so borked it thinks itll shut off if it pulls power from the battery.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Well I hosed up and snapped off some of the plastic hooks on the keycap. What's a reputable place to buy single replacement caps? Early 2015 MBP Retina if it matters

If you go to an apple store (with a genius appointment) they’ll just put one on for you for free. There’s a chance they may have to order.

beefnoodle posted:

Ah, right, thanks.

It’s $200 which includes a new battery and keyboard/top housing.

Frankly, for such low use, I’d ignore the battery and use in plugged in. Generally any performance hit won’t be enough to gently caress how that workflow you’re using.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Binary Badger posted:

Bloomberg is spoiling even better M1/x chips for future Macs..

Even at 5nm, 32 perf cores and 32 graphics cores is going to be a big processor. And a hot one. And even with DDR5, at some point the graphics performance will be constrained by sharing memory bandwidth. I guess Apple knows what it's doing but I wouldn't be surprised if the really high-end makes the graphics a discrete part even if they're a homegrown design that only works with the Mac Pro.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Do any other companies make ARMs they wouldn't be ashamed to put in a laptop? Do any companies make any other architecture that could theoretically be in a PC?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's just a matter of seeking rent. Apple won't get into gaming unless it gets a healthy cut of the profit. To do that right now, they would have to throw a ton of cash around, which doesn't seem like their style. I think they're gonna keep using Apple Arcade to build a bench of indie devs who are locked into their ecosystem and go from there. I don't think they're gonna get into AAA for years, if at all.

yeah, like i said, it depends on how much they want to push the issue. they're clearly willing to throw cash around when it suits them, just look at the apple tv content. of course, that's something that they can market for years, where games, unless you do something really novel, rarely tend to stay fresh for as long. i'm sure they're unfortunately content with apple arcade for the moment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shy posted:

Do any other companies make ARMs they wouldn't be ashamed to put in a laptop? Do any companies make any other architecture that could theoretically be in a PC?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Shy posted:

There's the Microsoft Surface Pro X but I think that Microsoft working with Qualcomm to make an ARM chip not 100% Microsoft.