Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I wonder how well a Tesla battery would fit in the bed of a Kei truck. Quick glance looks like you might need an extra 20cm of bed length, but it's not far off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I googled "EV kei truck" and was not disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pqHO0B0QUA

It's so cute! I want an EV microvan.

Looks like Mitsubishi and Nissan are planning to team up for EV kei cars, trucks, and vans. https://insideevs.com/news/436401/mitsubishi-investment-new-ev-kei-cars/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bandire posted:

I still don't see three inches of rear footwell depth as worth the added complexity. I drive a Mustang though, so the concept of comfortable back seat is foreign to me.

It just gives you a load more usable legroom. Its probably not that important in a SUV but considering its shape there's a surprising amount of space in the back of a Taycan.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

I googled "EV kei truck" and was not disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pqHO0B0QUA

It's so cute! I want an EV microvan.

oh drat, that looks like it's out of some utopian futuristic fiction.

I want an EV dream factory blow K5 blazer or C10

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well my cousin bought a lightly used Honda Clarity PHEV. (2018 I think) and had me come take a look at it to explain charging to them.

It actually doesn't look bad in person. Nice interior. Everything has a quality feel to it.

It does have a 6.6kW charger, which is nice. Full charge in 2ish hours.

The thing I hated however was the dash and infotainment system. The infotainment system is a complete mess, and slow. If feels like something straight out of 2010. You have NO car stats at all, compared to the 2nd gen Volt where you have some nice screens showing efficiency, power flow, etc.. It appears to actually run Android. But must be on some ancient hardware.

The dash displays are also bare of information. The only thing I could find was gas MPG. No EV stats. The dash menu screens are also kinda confusing. Nothing but a poo poo ton of icons with no explanation what they are.

As for driving, didn't get to do much. Felt more or less the same as my Volt power wise; maybe a slight edge to the Volt.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nissan likes to hide all the CANBUS info too, even on the Leaf, a $20 dongle and a $10 app solved that problem for me, maybe see if there's a similar one for the Honda?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I just got the impression it was a gas car they shoved a electric motor in and called it a day.. I was quite surprised at the lack of info. The software was just meh.. (kinda like how the Audi E-tron hilariously alerts for an oil change)

The Volt feels quite different in this regard.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
It's so strange to me the legacy manufacturers (other than Chevy, and to a lesser extent Ford) are being dragged kicking and screaming into the EV era. I would think it they would be all about EVs since they're radically easier to manufacture.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Shamino posted:

It's so strange to me the legacy manufacturers (other than Chevy, and to a lesser extent Ford) are being dragged kicking and screaming into the EV era. I would think it they would be all about EVs since they're radically easier to manufacture.

It sounds easy but there's a bunch of reasons why companies are hesitant to switch.

Most of them have employees who're specialized in ICE engines, and would prefer to keep their jobs.

Pretty much all of their factories have to be re-tooled in order to build EVs.

There's simply not enough batteries to go around at the moment, and the only manufacturers who can build a reasonable amount of EVs have to invest a huge amount of money into constructing battery building plants.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The simple answer is that it's easier to make more money with ICEs than with EVs or else they'd be all over it. VW 100% doing EVs to greenwash themselves after the diesel scandal, and they've calculated that they'll make more money by using their ad budget to greenwash rather than not do it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
EVs don't need regular $60-80 oil changes that become Thermo Lubes, new tires, Transmission Flush...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That stuff's mostly dealer revenue, although loss of parts revenue is a big concern for OEMs.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

In general selling EVs isn't profitable and the only reason there are so many being sold is to meet CO2 emissions targets. They will make the vehicles that people want, and people want ICE SUVs.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Perhaps ICE cars should be made more expensive. Drive up the costs of all vehicles so that instead of wanting ICE SUVs, the economics causes them to want public transport or small EVs. Governments using emissions targets as a bludgeon is good and should be applied more aggressively.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

while i absolutely agree with you, it is not going to happen

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh don't worry, I'm under no illusion it would ever happen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RZA Encryption posted:

Perhaps ICE cars should be made more expensive. Drive up the costs of all vehicles so that instead of wanting ICE SUVs, the economics causes them to want public transport or small EVs. Governments using emissions targets as a bludgeon is good and should be applied more aggressively.

The cost of all vehicles has been going up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes, more regressive policies please.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

doesn't have to be. You can tax heavily sales of new cars with poor co2 efficiency, which are mostly big trucks etc which were already pricey, cheap cars are generally smaller and already more efficient. e.g. France has massive taxes on sales of new ICE trucks, but small or no taxes on new Clio's. Even if the tax on its own was regressive, you can make it progressive by distributing the money however you like, see https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2018/09/19/a-progressive-case-for-a-carbon-tax-and-dividend-scheme/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Shamino posted:

Batteries are expensive, and their experience is with ICE not electric motors.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Shamino posted:

Legacy auto makers have to make a profit.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Godholio posted:

Sorry I didn't spell out the implied "and use the revenue to beef up public transport and subsidize affordable electric cars in areas that are inhospitable to public transportation". I'm not a legislator, I don't have to give all the answers or even fully think through things. I'm a dude writing poo poo on the internet. If I want to give a kneejerk response of "tax those who can pay to provide a better life for those that cannot", I can do so without a corresponding study on the full impacts of my whim.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My wife really likes the Tesla X. I like the Audi e-tron. The dealership had 2019s at crazy discount because they sat on the lot, and now I'm seeing used 2019s with less than 5k miles.

....is there a reason? Are they lemons?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Proust Malone posted:

My wife really likes the Tesla X. I like the Audi e-tron. The dealership had 2019s at crazy discount because they sat on the lot, and now I'm seeing used 2019s with less than 5k miles.

....is there a reason? Are they lemons?

how much are the Audis going for?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

anecdotal, a buddy of mine got an e-tron that had been used as a loaner, it was absurdly cheap, a couple thousand miles, and he loves the drat thing

edit: i want to say he paid like 50k with a CPO warranty and the three years of services for a car that stickered at 80

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 7, 2020

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There's talk it's because the interest rate is so low people are trading in to get new year models but I didn't think that's affected 2019s or electric cars at all.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

anecdotal, a buddy of mine got an e-tron that had been used as a loaner, it was absurdly cheap, a couple thousand miles, and he loves the drat thing

edit: i want to say he paid like 50k with a CPO warranty and the three years of services for a car that stickered at 80

Bone Crimes posted:

how much are the Audis going for?

The one I saw was $60k for a new 2019 fter rebates. $56k for a used one with ~4k miles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RZA Encryption posted:

Sorry I didn't spell out the implied "and use the revenue to beef up public transport and subsidize affordable electric cars in areas that are inhospitable to public transportation". I'm not a legislator, I don't have to give all the answers or even fully think through things. I'm a dude writing poo poo on the internet. If I want to give a kneejerk response of "tax those who can pay to provide a better life for those that cannot", I can do so without a corresponding study on the full impacts of my whim.

Sorry man, but we've had this suggestion in the past from people who don't bother thinking about that next step or are wealthy enough that they don't care.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That stuff's mostly dealer revenue, although loss of parts revenue is a big concern for OEMs.

Speaking of dealers not being interested in EVs:

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1335691701210451968?s=21

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

being a dealer is a relatively low margin business and i completely understand not wanting to invest in something that consumers still do not want to buy

but Cadillac will probably be better off without these dealers

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

being a dealer is a relatively low margin business and i completely understand not wanting to invest in something that consumers still do not want to buy

but Cadillac will probably be better off without these dealers

it's 150 out of their 880 dealers, and I would imagine they're multi-brand dealers in the middle of BFE that move a couple dozen Chebby or GMC pickups before they even get a Cadillac customer. So yeah, investing $200k-plus into something like that doesn't make sense.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think "consumers dont want" isnt the real issue - Tesla for better or worse is showing the demand for a decent EV is actually there. Cadillac itself would be a fairly decent fit for an upmarket EV that has a good profit margin, so I dont see the "consumers dont want"

The dealer dont want is more the fact of the matter here. How many times have we been hearing this story about dealers being dicks with EV's? Frankly Rivian and Tesla are probably wise to refuse to even enterain the thought of the dealer model - sure there are downsides but to the emerging manufactuers? Probably a good thing overall in that they meeting less resitance to selling their product.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's not demand for an EV, it's demand for an EV you can sell at a profitable price

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

It's not demand for an EV, it's demand for an EV you can sell at a profitable price

:hai:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tesla pricing is pretty comparable to Cadillac pricing. They can't use that excuse.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

An EV at a price and volume where you don't have to tell your institutional shareholders your quarterly profits will be somewhat reduced from now until the foreseeable future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MomJeans420 posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cadillac itself would be a fairly decent fit for an upmarket EV that has a good profit margin

I'm really not seeing the profit issue here at all, not with an upmarket brand that can charge a premium for the badge

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Tesla pricing is pretty comparable to Cadillac pricing. They can't use that excuse.

see

MomJeans420 posted:

EV you can sell at a profitable price

*edit*
more info

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 8, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Is posting about non plug in HEVs okay here???

I just bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid and oh my god the fuel efficiency is great. As far as features go, it beats the 2020 Range Rover Evoque we have lying around in almost every case except dimming side mirrors.

I’m actually super impressed with everything it’s got.

Doug quirks and features:
- the glove box doesn’t have any illumination?
- putting it in sport mode changes the Ford Fusion that indicates the car you’re following to a Mustang which lol
- it also fakes shifting in sport mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm really not seeing the profit issue here at all, not with an upmarket brand that can charge a premium for the badge

The issue you will run into is that you charge a premium price then the buyer asks 'why am i not buying a tesla that has more features (or is cheaper)' and they buy a tesla instead because it's the "cool" EV brand, and part of the purchase of higher end vehicles is the brand. Ultimately they may be able to make a theoretical car and price it at some price, but they probably can't make a car that beats a tesla on price and features, which is what they'd probably have to do in that segment

Like we were just talking about etrons being sold for 20k under msrp