Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ok I give up with the stock Mail app for iPhone and Mac. What’s my best option for an iCloud email address?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Crosspostin' from the iPhone thread where I accidentally posted this:

terre packet posted:

Can anyone recommend IAP-free alternatives to RunKeeper?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What browser is recommended for adblocking? Nextdns seems to do nothing for me.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Femur posted:

What browser is recommended for adblocking? Nextdns seems to do nothing for me.

Safari with 1Blocker?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
There's nothing for firefox users though. I mean there's firefox focus but then you can't sync and use any of your bookmarks or saved logins.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I use NextDNS and 1Blocker and most ads are blocked. If you use Firefox I’m pretty sure NextDNS will still work because that’s a system setting. Besides I think Firefox has built in adblocking?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

firefox doesn't but edge does. it's not configurable though

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Not on youtube. The youtube app sucks and vanced doesn't have an ios version.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
1block works much better, thank you.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
1Block with Safari is great on the phone but not that great on macOS, as YouTube ads still play.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I have:

-iPhone Xs? Latest iOS
-iPad with latest iOS
-Apple TV (no updates needed according to settings)
-Airpods
-Apple Music

Every now and then it will pause whatever song I am listening to — this happens on whatever device I’m using. On my Apple TV last night the music paused and I got the prompt that said I need a family plan to listen on multiple devices; only I wasn’t listening on multiple devices. I’m thinking this is why it’s randomly pausing my music across all devices.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dugong posted:

Ok I give up with the stock Mail app for iPhone and Mac. What’s my best option for an iCloud email address?

Weird as it may sound, outlook works perfectly fine for icloud, you wil just need to create an app-specific password if you have MFA on.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I need a high quality photo printing service or app. I just want to upload some pictures of my cat and have them send it to me for framing. What app/service do I use.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need a high quality photo printing service or app. I just want to upload some pictures of my cat and have them send it to me for framing. What app/service do I use.

Printique

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've noticed that more and more ads are showing up when I'm web browsing, and in the course of investigating I discovered that purify is pretty much abandoned - is 1blocker the go to now? I've also heard good things about AdGuard?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I’m using next DNS and 1Blocker and have basically no ads

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
What browser are you using?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Van Dis posted:

Not sure if you were asking me, but I'm using safari.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Van Dis posted:

NextDNS works for the entire system, 1Blocker is probably(?) Safari only. I use the same combination as well and I see very little ads.

Thanks!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Make sure you actually set up next DNS app. You need to go to the website and set up your blocking profile and then put in the unique code into your app so it knows which profile to grab from them.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Can anyone recommend a package tracking app? I just recently switched from android and the unrelated Deliveries android app is far superior to the iOS one with the same name, even with a premium subscription for the iOS one from purchasing it years ago.

My main problem with it is that it’s really slow to update when packages are actually delivered. Sometimes hour or two after it’s actually dropped off. There doesn’t seem to be a way to change how often it checks for tracking updates, either, which was a feature of the Android app. It’s not as important for me anymore since my wife and I bought a house but when we used to live in an apartment this was absolutely necessary since we had one of our neighbors actually stealing poo poo like our food deliveries and I’d like to have the same functionality again.

It also doesn’t update the delivery date listed even if the carrier changes it (I’d get the notification that the delivery date is changed but the app doesn’t actually change it and I can’t edit the date either without manually deleting it and adding again).

I’ve also tried Slice and Route but I’d prefer an app that doesn’t need to have access to my mailbox to trawl for deliveries.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ihatepants posted:

Can anyone recommend a package tracking app? I just recently switched from android and the unrelated Deliveries android app is far superior to the iOS one with the same name, even with a premium subscription for the iOS one from purchasing it years ago.

My main problem with it is that it’s really slow to update when packages are actually delivered. Sometimes hour or two after it’s actually dropped off. There doesn’t seem to be a way to change how often it checks for tracking updates, either, which was a feature of the Android app. It’s not as important for me anymore since my wife and I bought a house but when we used to live in an apartment this was absolutely necessary since we had one of our neighbors actually stealing poo poo like our food deliveries and I’d like to have the same functionality again.

It also doesn’t update the delivery date listed even if the carrier changes it (I’d get the notification that the delivery date is changed but the app doesn’t actually change it and I can’t edit the date either without manually deleting it and adding again).

I’ve also tried Slice and Route but I’d prefer an app that doesn’t need to have access to my mailbox to trawl for deliveries.

I use Shop. It's pretty good. But it does need mailbox access.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I use Deliveries. It's now a $5 yearly subscription, I think, but I've been using it forever and love it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

I use Deliveries. It's now a $5 yearly subscription, I think, but I've been using it forever and love it.

deliveries is the best, imo. tried parcels for a bit and it was fine (probably better if you want a widget), but deliveries really is very good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another one to consider: ParcelTrack. No subscription fee just a one off unlock payment that was like $3 or something. Used it for years without complaint.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

sleepwalkers posted:

deliveries is the best, imo. tried parcels for a bit and it was fine (probably better if you want a widget), but deliveries really is very good

His post was about his issues with the Deliveries iOS app. :confused:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m pretty sure that it’s a delivery carrier problem and not an app problem. Like with USPS for example sometimes the official website won’t update for hours or days.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i use deliveries with icloud sync, no sub required

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m pretty sure that it’s a delivery carrier problem and not an app problem. Like with USPS for example sometimes the official website won’t update for hours or days.

It's definitely not a carrier problem for me, because I usually don't get the notifications until well after the packages are actually delivered. I have the FedEx and UPS apps as well and they both give me notifications shortly after the items are actually delivered even if I add the same packages to the Deliveries app. The android app let me set how often I wanted it to poll for updates and set a different interval for when I'm connected to wifi or using my carrier data. There's no such option to change this setting at all and they definitely aren't pushed updates from the carriers themselves.

I just upgraded my desktop and most of my things were sent from Newegg via OnTrac, which definitely doesn't have the best tracking (or parcel service), but it's just annoying to see stuff like "Shipment Delayed; Delivery Date Updated" and the app itself won't update the delivery date, still keeping the original that it set it for. For example, OnTrac started with a delivery date of Thanksgiving for my motherboard and they obviously weren't going to deliver on Thanksgiving, then they gave me three successive delivery delays until finally saying it would arrive Tuesday. Deliveries still said that I should be expecting it on Thanksgiving and just stayed at 0 days the entire time. Thankfully I don't even use the add to calendar feature, because if I did, that would be even worse.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I accidentally discovered that you can create multiple windows for Safari to have tabs in them on my iPad. Is there someway to move tabs between windows or combine windows into one? Or do I just have to close those tabs in one window and re-opened them in another window if I want to move them from window to window?

It’s a pretty neat feature that lets me keep my work window separate from my leisure window. I much prefer it to having just one big pool of tabs.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Nitrousoxide posted:

I accidentally discovered that you can create multiple windows for Safari to have tabs in them on my iPad. Is there someway to move tabs between windows or combine windows into one? Or do I just have to close those tabs in one window and re-opened them in another window if I want to move them from window to window?

It’s a pretty neat feature that lets me keep my work window separate from my leisure window. I much prefer it to having just one big pool of tabs.
If you press the little square button to bring up the tab list, you can press and hold a tab preview to drag it across to your other window.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Where do I drag it to? If I try to drag it to one of the edges it just creates a new window.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Nitrousoxide posted:

Where do I drag it to? If I try to drag it to one of the edges it just creates a new window.
Up to the other tab bar.

https://streamable.com/jquj94

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Oh, I get it now. Thank you.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Femur posted:

What password manager and 2f authentication app should I use on iOS?I just switched from android and want to switch from using lastpass and authy as I've been meaning to do for a while.

Going back a page but I'm very happy with Bitwarden. As a bonus you can self host a server if you're so inclined and not pay anything, I'm running one for myself and my friends/family. The iOS app works well and it imported all of my old Lastpass stuff correctly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I also use Bitwarden and I have a Windows machine, two Apple devices and an Android device and it works well all over.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Femur posted:

What password manager and 2f authentication app should I use on iOS?I just switched from android and want to switch from using lastpass and authy as I've been meaning to do for a while.

1Password.

I wanted to like Bitwarden but I could never get the import to complete.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I forgot the reason, but there was something that LastPass did that did not sit well with me. I used them for 3-4 years with whatever their life-time purchase was and switched over to 1Password.

Edit: 1Password used to have a life-time payment thing, but I think they removed it.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 7, 2020

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
1Password's automatic insertion of 2FA codes is just so slick. Sure it only saves me a few seconds but I love it. It's made me spend a few minutes each week looking up existing accounts I have and switch them from text to app for 2FA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

1Password does own, I use eero secure and that includes a family sub.