Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Nidoking posted:

No, but it would be a bit out of my way to do them right now (like I did in my first playthrough, of course) compared to starting after the next episode. You'll see why.

Hmmm. Maybe my joke-unredaction wasn't as far off the mark as I thought. But I took Babysitter to be a Board-ism for the TV itself, if that isn't what you meant.

EDIT: In fact, I'm so certain this is exactly what they intended that I went ahead and edited the document list to reflect this.

I agree that the Baby sitter is a Board-ism for the TV, just that alongside the Superhero bit it was a commentary on how the TV became an altered item because of the weight of belief/ritual of all the children watching superhero shows on the TV. Or as a meta-commentary on how it was inspired by a children's superhero TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I can't watch Jesse exercise her new power without hearing Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" in my head.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

IMJack posted:

I can't watch Jesse exercise her new power without hearing Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" in my head.
:argh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

IMJack posted:

...Oh Goddamnit.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

IMJack posted:

Well that's one of my favorite games that I'm not gonna be able to play for months.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

IMJack posted:

I will fix this. It's just going to take a while.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

In this case you might have to produce a Germany safe option.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I mean it's that or Peter Pan. Though Jesse could probably pull of the look. And then there's what we've been told about the Ordinary incident...

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

IMJack posted:

:golfclap:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's been an eventful month and change, hasn't it? That makes one less year until we reach the point when people will swear this game couldn't possibly have been made before 2020. There are times when it feels very much like a product of 2020, especially when things go as wrong as they did during this recording. At least the problem in this video is not unique to me - the game is just broken, and the closest thing I've seen to an official answer is "No, it's supposed to work that way" from someone who I think didn't understand the question. But let's not focus on that, because there's something here that goes very right, and it's easily one of my top three scenes in the game. We came to the FBC to find Dylan, and possibly also answers, but mostly Dylan. Now, we've found him, or at least, something very like him. As for answers... yes, we find some of those too. I'm just not entirely sure I know what the questions were.

Part 19: Not Dylan Faden Polsy Youtube Documents

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It feels like forever since I accomplished anything in this LP, but I think I'm getting back into the swing of things. I finally got a take of the first supplemental episode that I don't completely hate, so that may actually materialize some day, and I've got a PS5, which may let me cut down on loading times while recording future episodes. It might also prevent things like what happened in this video from happening again, but that remains to be seen. Sidequest Hell is officially underway, and we're going to solve some mysteries that have been outstanding for quite some time.

Part 20: Living in the Fridge Polsy Youtube Documents

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the fridge is such a tragic story. poor Phillip

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i really thought we'd save him :(

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

can't believe the writers would just fridge phillip like that

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder what Jesse did to her shoulder that she's frequently working it like she does. Maybe the Service Weapon is just heavy but I'm pretty sure she was doing that idle animation even before she picked it up.

I've separated my shoulder before so I know the feeling.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A quick PSA: Control is the PS Plus free game of the month if anyone wants to play along at home.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Picked this game up, mainly due to your let's play. Best game I have played in a long time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

For some reason, I feel like things have been slow recently, but that's probably just my warped sense of time and the usual mental health issues making me feel like I'm getting nowhere no matter how much I do. Sometimes, even though I can go places if I need to (and I do), I feel like I'm living in a prison specially built to contain someone in exactly the mental state I'm in. This is, of course, the clumsiest possible segue into tonight's episode, where we'll be touring the Panopticon, a prison specially built to contain Altered Items. There's a lot of underused space, but there's also plenty to see. I'd like to call attention to the timestamps in the video description - there's a long section with an Astral Spike occupying most of the background on and off, so I timestamped the important collectibles in case anyone can't watch those scenes but still wants to see the background information contained there. They should show up as chapter markers on both the Youtube and Polsy pages for convenience.

Part 21: The Panopticon Polsy Youtube Documents

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"If we treat them like criminals, we can't be surprised when they try to escape" - Frederick Langston, founder of the SCP FBC Ethics Committee

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I love all the random altered items they have in the panopticon, and even more so that you can find documents around the Oldest House on a large quantity of them (I don't think all of them, but maybe I'm wrong)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

I love all the random altered items they have in the panopticon, and even more so that you can find documents around the Oldest House on a large quantity of them (I don't think all of them, but maybe I'm wrong)

For a long time, I thought there were only two of those items with no documentation. Then, I found a procedure document for the hammer and that off-the-wall (literally) supplement for the Paper Lantern, and now I'm willing to believe that all of the AIs actually have both documents and I just haven't found them all. I will probably consult the wiki near the end of the playthrough and do a round-up of the documents I've missed. I'm even tempted just to see whether the one AI I never found any documentation on has anything in its entry, just to ruin the mystery, but I kind of want to keep that a surprise even for myself.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Fun little bug (I assume) is the floating mug on the desk during the Threshold Kids episode.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

theamazingchris posted:

Fun little bug (I assume) is the floating mug on the desk during the Threshold Kids episode.

Too lazy to fix. Let's say that was Altered Item.
                                    — Remedy Entertainment

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Okay, I've finally managed to wrestle myself away from all the other distractions (and I'm not kidding about that - I took a break in the middle of this to attempt to fix a leaky faucet) to put together an episode of that supplemental podcast I've been talking about so much. The first couple of episodes are going to cover the psychology topics that came up in the early parts of the Research Sector, and later on, I'll be talking about that conversation with Dylan, and I'm hoping to put together a full plot summary of Alan Wake for anyone who wants to understand the references here but doesn't want to sit through the whole game. I've also got plans to talk about the Rubber Duck Altered Item and my theories about that. This is all just my own perspective, of course - psychology experts will probably disagree with everything I say here, and that's fine. I recommend that anyone who actually wants to learn something about these topics do some proper research. I just hope I can offer some interesting ideas along the way. Let me know what works and what doesn't - I'm holding off on recording another episode so I can incorporate any feedback, and maybe so I can learn some plumbing.

Uncontrolled episode 1: Synchronicity and the collective unconscious Youtube

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Nidoking posted:

Uncontrolled episode 1: Synchronicity and the collective unconscious Youtube

This was really nice; thank you!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Nidoking posted:

Part 19: Not Dylan Faden Polsy Youtube Documents

I don't get it, why does dylan refer to the hiss as the hiss? Isn't that a name that jesse came up with when she met pope?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

ilmucche posted:

I don't get it, why does dylan refer to the hiss as the hiss? Isn't that a name that jesse came up with when she met pope?

Best guess is either Dylan is connected to the Hiss the same way you're connected to the Board, and the Hiss has heard you and other FBC agents call its hosts that or he overheard the FBC staff in Executive call him a Hiss when he came there after breaking out of the P6 cell.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I mean, the hiss could just be the objectively correct thing to call it! Everyone who hears it just seems to roll with it. Alternatively: they had the same idea independently because they're the same person, or they're not, or however you want to interpret Dylan's various alternate reality dream rants.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The documentation for the stoplight seems wrong, it has the lights from top to bottom as red-yellow-green but when nidoking is approaching it the green is on the top and the red on the bottom. The bottom light is permanently lit up and green in the cell.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think there's a good case to be made that the name Hiss came from the Hiss itself. Even though it's not part of the chant, Jesse first called it that after it got into her head. It may have planted the name there.

It's also very likely that Dylan is seeing into Jesse's head in that scene. He certainly seems to be able to see into many other places, both within his own world and within others.

I'm still planning to talk about all of this in a future episode of Uncontrolled, but this is a good discussion to have before that. The more ideas I have, the more I'll be able to talk about when I get to it.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

ilmucche posted:

Due to her position as Director the House retroactively re-wrote all references to it in the House as Hiss , Dylan knows it as Hiss because that's how it always been called.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
yeah, it's probably for the same reasons that Jesse immediately has a portrait in the House as the Director after she takes the job. time and space have interesting relationships with each other in the Oldest House.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I considered making an April Fool's Day video, but in this game, how could anyone possibly know whether it was part of the game or not? I certainly can't think of anything that would top most of what's actually in the game in weirdness, so instead, have a perfectly normal (comparatively) video where I explore various parts of the Maintenance Sector. I think it's the biggest sector, in terms of the portions we can explore so far. The Quarry alone is probably about as big as the explorable area in Executive. I was planning to get there, but I got distracted. Instead, let's wrap up the sidequest I went out of my way to activate and then completely forgot existed. I usually just sort of run into this one as I'm exploring.

Part 22: Drinking Buddies Polsy Youtube Documents

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

I get that Northmoor is literally the power source for the generator but did I see correctly that that monitor on top of the NSC was actually showing him on fire?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I get that Northmoor is literally the power source for the generator but did I see correctly that that monitor on top of the NSC was actually showing him on fire?

I think that same view appears on a lot of monitors. I keep seeing something about throwing them in the furnace, but I can't pick most of them up, so maybe that's specific ones. I don't think it has anything to do with Northmoor, who is visible on the security monitors on the NSC itself still in human form and emitting a lot of energy.

(Not actual spoilers for anyone who's been paying attention this far, I'm pretty sure.)

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
The "good won't swing" comes from a phrase "ei hyvä heilu", which usually means "there is going to be trouble" or "you'll/we'll be in trouble".
One good example would be an old man yelling at neighbor kids making a mess in his lawn, yelling out "You better stop that or you'll be in deep trouble" from his porch.

Basically Ahti is saying that you better clean up the mess good or someone's getting smacked for incompetence.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1377607021864845315

I do love it when they put some effort into the April 1st announcements.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Part of me wants to see this implemented as a skin for the actual game somehow, but (actual thing that appears in one of the DLC areas) with the SHÜM machine already using a very similar effect for the transitions, it could be easier than I expect.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sidequest Hell is well underway, so everything is retreading old ground. In this video, we're going way back to the beginning and searching the Executive Sector for new things to do with our abilities. It's a small sector, so there's not much we haven't seen, but what there is is pretty expansive. We've also got one part of a sidequest to handle while we're here, some out-of-reach chests, and a whole bunch more of our favorite documents.

Part 23: These Letters Aren't Dead. They're Ambulatory! Polsy Youtube Documents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

The repeating letter definitely says "I'm a pinstripe suit in a plaid world." in the redacted section.