Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Somehow this thread is even worse then the previous.

Fanpersons shouting down trans people for wanting representation in a game is very on brand for Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It's worth noting that in the article the reviewer said that almost none of the characters they encountered were coded queer in a meaningful way. For a transgressive future where body modification is the norm, people sure are sticking real hard to standard 2020 gender presentations. "This person has three robot dicks and two USB vaginas, gender doesn't matter!" doesn't work as an excuse when what the game is actually giving you is apparently cisgender sex workers hanging out next to mountains of dildos.

Yeah it seems like the game at best falls massively short on imagination.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Even if we accept the “everyone is trans!” bullshit, that doesn’t mean the story can’t have characters who are a step beyond that so you can show both a future where being specifically trans is nbd and also the struggle that trans people have today played out over a different issue. This is what allegory is for.

Also gonna pull out the thermian argument: diegetic reasons are not an excuse for poor writing. It didn’t excuse goblin slayer, it won’t excuse this.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you imagine being cyberpunk developers and having the big controversy behind your game is gender representation lol

How come these same people don't cry about representation in Madden

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

hobbesmaster posted:

Did any reviewer actually understand disco elysium on release for example?

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Disco Elysium

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Im going to play this game a lot and have my character make a shitload of money unethically because capitalism

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

-there is a quickhack that edits people's memory, in gameplay terms it means you can make them forget about you (coming back to the non-hostile status)

This owns. That's a massive improvement on stealth gameplay missing from the majority of stealth games.

Turin Turambar posted:

-On the other hand, the dodge mechanic is done with double tapping the direction key, which can be a pain in the rear end if you use keyboard. It can't be changed.

God damnit its Unreal Tournament 2003 all over again!!!1!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Simone Magus posted:

Fanpersons shouting down trans people for wanting representation in a game is very on brand for Games

sorry you're posting in the Designated Hype Window, all arguments will be dismissed till the consuming is complete.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can you imagine being cyberpunk developers and having the big controversy behind your game is gender representation lol

can you go into more detail how people wanting to see themselves in their media is 'crying?'

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ufarn posted:

gosh this transhumanism sure raises a lot of interesting questions that would be awesome to explore, hopefully someone will make a game about this

This is Cyberpunk, not... dunno, The Culture series.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Holy poo poo lol. Now that's a spicy take. Dumbass

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

We know that the way character creation handles gender was added at the last minute. CDPR previewed character creation with a male/female button pretty late on but later announced that they were changing it to be based on the voice after feedback from the community.

I assume no rational person is saying that CDPR should have responded with a flat "No" because it wouldn't have been a perfect implementation, nor should they have re-written and re-recorded huge sections of the game at the last minute to cater for it perfectly. It's clumsy but that makes sense given its last minute addition.

It can be argued that they should have thought about this more thoroughly from the beginning but so should literally every piece of media that portrays the future.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 7, 2020

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CottonWolf posted:

SAC has a lot of episodes about the collision between transhumanism and the life of normies in a world where most people are not and will never reach transhuman status. Just as an example, the episode where the man becomes a tank to own his conservative religious parents comes to mind.

I identify as an attack helicopter, but literally.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'm going to play the video game Cyberpunk 2077 when it launches on Thursday, December 10th, 2020. The game will be good, or bad, or maybe somewhere in the middle. I'd like for it to be good, but you never know in a world as crazy as this one, ha-ha.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I've been debating upgrading from my 1440p60hz monitor to a 120 or 144hz monitor next year but ugh that's the trappings I want to avoid lol.

I went from a 24" 1080p60hz to a 27" 1440p144hz monitor and the 144hz thing seems like a meme

it's obviously smoother, but I frankly don't really care. 60hz was smooth enough for me, and im still running 60hz panels side by side.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

Holy poo poo lol. Now that's a spicy take. Dumbass

There’s at least a few refs and coaches (like conditioning and such) so that should be complained about if that’s not there.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think this thread has inverted controls. Pull up, pull up!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Squashing Machine posted:

I'm going to play the video game Cyberpunk 2077 when it launches on Thursday, December 10th, 2020. The game will be good, or bad, or maybe somewhere in the middle. I'd like for it to be good, but you never know in a world as crazy as this one, ha-ha.

Mods?

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Simone Magus posted:

I said I was curious what your conceptualization is in identifying what a trans character would even be in what is supposed to be a truly post-genitalia-gender world, you call my question the dumbest thing ever, and then you say you're being shouted down. I think that speaks for itself. That being said, I'll stop talking about it now since I've said my 2c.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 7, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

I identify as an attack helicopter, but literally.

Literally a thing in the setting, full borgs don’t have a concept of gender anymore.

Comte is the only one that could tell us if anything touches on these issues and I hope he’s not reading the thread right now

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah "all artists steal" is universal.

Hello, I don't want to get into a big back and forth about this, but it isn't. It is more likely to be true than not when it comes to art made for a mass audience, bc a lot of that process is taking all the things that are popular in art that is more niche and bundling it together into something accessible, but its far from universal. Most art for niche audiences is trying something new, or at least is part of a contemporary conversation and not existing as a mishmashy throwback.

I mean its very technically universal in the sense that most art within genres speaks and shares a common language, but that doesn't mean all (or most!) of the component pieces of art are ripped off from other sources (even though neither of us are saying that this example is actually ripped off from Idiocracy??? If anything "feels like its ripped off" is a worse hack job than "actually ripped off").

edit: another poster above used a good term of phrase that I think applies well to stuff like this. It runs the risk of feeling lacking in imagination. Star Wars is full of imagination.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

delete this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I went from a 24" 1080p60hz to a 27" 1440p144hz monitor and the 144hz thing seems like a meme

it's obviously smoother, but I frankly don't really care. 60hz was smooth enough for me, and im still running 60hz panels side by side.

I definitely don't feel comfortable sub 90 anymore.

Is your 144hz monitor actually freesync/gsync though? Are you connected over HDMI or DisplayPort?

Because if its not gsync and displayport then you're only seeing 60.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Maybe CDPR could have looked to William Gibson, an author who handled trans characters very well in the 80s and has continued to do so even in his last two novels.

I wonder if they've ever heard of him. He's pretty obscure.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

is polish a gendered language

Yes, but it does have a neuter gender like German. I don’t speak the language tho, so I’ve no idea how it would sound if you were to use it with a person.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The higher the hz, the less noticeable the effect. So I would say 60 to 90hz is still nice to have, but 90hz to 120hz is very subtle.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Im going to play the game as a cis man who wants to get rich, bang the pretty ladies and retire to the desert

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

For me, it launches on Wednesday, December 9. I'm sorry that you have to be owned like this

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Something interesting that YongYea has said: some of the bugs were fixed with the patch the reviewers have received, but only if you started a new game. So most of them didn't notice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

The higher the hz, the less noticeable the effect. So I would say 60 to 90hz is still nice to have, but 90hz to 120hz is very subtle.

Yeah absolutely. I can't really tell 120 vs 144, but up to 120 I can Pepsi Challenge that poo poo any day.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

My hopes of playing this game at 4k medium with no RT have been dashed. DOes anyone know if this supposed magical day 1 patch will improve performance or if these benchmarks already have the patch?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sometimes I think I must have terrible eyesight or something. I can notice bad image quality but the difference between 30fps and 60fps is almost unnoticeable to me. I feel like I'd be able to pick which was which if you put two videos side by side but I'm not confident of it.

Almost every single thing you've ever seen on tv or in a cinema was in 24fps. Did any of it look janky or unlifelike to you?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I was going to ask if the reviewers got to play with the day one patch. I mean, maybe they've already ironed out some of those problems.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

Maybe CDPR could have looked to William Gibson, an author who handled trans characters very well in the 80s and has continued to do so even in his last two novels.

I wonder if they've ever heard of him. He's pretty obscure.

Completely unrelated to trans stuff but as classic as Neuromancer is, when reading it now there's a definite horny fanfic vibe that can get in the way here and there

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Arkage posted:

I said I was curious what your conceptualization is in identifying a trans character would be in what is supposedly be a truly post-genitalia world, you call my question the dumbest thing ever

No, I said that the argument "maaaaaaaaaybe being trans is no big deal and akshully everyone in the game is trans!" is dumb.

And it is.

Media is made for today. People who exist today, for whom being trans is a big deal, are the ones playing it.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so you have to download the game and then two patches? or the game that you downloaded already has been patched?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Come on guys, can we shut up about how progressive or not this game is when we haven't PLAYED it yet. Seriously, calm the gently caress down. Take a wait and see approach. Worst than the chud complaining about Abbey from LoU2 having muscle.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I am ready to play the game nowww alreadyyyy *shaking in chair intensifies*

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

so you have to download the game and then two patches? or the game that you downloaded already has been patched?

I hate your avatar

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Probably because we don't expect trans representation in Madden? Whereas we kinda do in the most trans genre of fiction that exists and I am including literal stories about trans coming out/exploration/etc. in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Grumbles posted:

Completely unrelated to trans stuff but as classic as Neuromancer is, when reading it now there's a definite horny fanfic vibe that can get in the way here and there

Oh absolutely. Mona Lisa Overdrive was way better in that regard, and is probably my second favorite novel of all time (first is All the King's Men)