Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vorik posted:

My hopes of playing this game at 4k medium with no RT have been dashed. DOes anyone know if this supposed magical day 1 patch will improve performance or if these benchmarks already have the patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vorik posted:

My hopes of playing this game at 4k medium with no RT have been dashed. DOes anyone know if this supposed magical day 1 patch will improve performance or if these benchmarks already have the patch?

IIRC CDPR said the reveiw copies didn't have the latest performance optimizations, though how much that matters is a mystery.

Nvidia and AMD will probably have new drivers around release too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Vorik posted:

DLSS without raytracing.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

BrotherJayne posted:

I hate your avatar

fyad humour i guess

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sometimes I think I must have terrible eyesight or something. I can notice bad image quality but the difference between 30fps and 60fps is almost unnoticeable to me. I feel like I'd be able to pick which was which if you put two videos side by side but I'm not confident of it.

Almost every single thing you've ever seen on tv or in a cinema was in 24fps. Did any of it look janky or unlifelike to you?

That's entirely different. With cinema you want 24 generally to create a specific smoothed effect, but the way light is captured in a camera is different from how images are rendered from a raster computer program with animation data.

Furthermore, anytime a camera is moving at 24fps the screen is actually intensely blurry and once you start watching movies at higher frame rates you notice, but until you do you won't notice it, same as games.

In the long run I think movies will move to using 24fps for dialogue scenes and 30-60fps for action scenes, but it'll take a good while to become standardized.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no one seems to bring up the massive difference between watching something and controlling something at different framerates. well, it's big. thanks

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

DLSS without raytracing.

I am not sure if my video card supports that. I have the older 2080 line.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vorik posted:

I am not sure if my video card supports that. I have the older 2080 line.

It does. All the RTX 20xx and up cards have it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cavauro posted:

no one seems to bring up the massive difference between watching something and controlling something at different framerates. well, it's big. thanks

Also that, yeah. Huge point.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Back Hack posted:

Come on guys, can we shut up about how progressive or not this game is when we haven't PLAYED it yet. Seriously, calm the gently caress down. Take a wait and see approach. Worst than the chud complaining about Abbey from LoU2 having muscle.

it's not and this comparison sucks

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

fyad humour i guess

It's like it's not even a chicken, but a conglomeration of the grossest sex organs possible

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

after seeing a 1000Hz projector demo in person, i refuse to use a display with anything less. i will never play another video game again :(

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

CottonWolf posted:

SAC has a lot of episodes about the collision between transhumanism and the life of normies in a world where most people are not and will never reach transhuman status. Just as an example, the episode where the man becomes a tank to own his conservative religious parents comes to mind.

Ehh I always viewed that more as a corporation being more willing to let an employee go on a killdozer rampage than than risk reducing profits. I guess I just view it to be more metaphorical about modern day life than some hypothetical future. The vast majority of people in SAC have cyber brains, but you don’t need a computer in your brain to waste your life poo poo posting. Also, parents denying medical care to their children because of religious reasons is a thing that happens now (in America at least). “Man-tank tries to own parents” is unintentionally hilarious though.

In contrast to the original GitS movie which does bring up topics like “if I have a computer for a brain, how can I trust my own memories,” which is fine but not really a problem that affects anyone the way “corporations putting money over people” does. Cyberpunk (the genre) is reality now, reality just has a lovely aesthetic and bandwidth caps.

Doesn’t help that SAC tries to talk about straightforward things but covers them with philosophy and potentially confusing terminology. E.g. Kuze loves to talk about “the base and the superstructure” when he just means that he is going to use his cyber brain to link with a bunch of people and build solidarity real quick. And if that doesn’t work then have the refugees upload their consciousness online because he is the only one with military training and knows that if the military invades the refugees will just get steam rolled instantly.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can you imagine being cyberpunk developers and having the big controversy behind your game is gender representation lol

How come these same people don't cry about representation in Madden

Please gently caress off forever, thanks

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I forget who posted it or if I even read it in this thread but someone was talking about spooky net poo poo and cities being walled off LANs and the black wall seen in one of the trailers and I gotta say that's probably one of the most intriguing things in this universe conceptually that I'm interested and hopeful in seeing, in-between hacking a vending machine to put 400 burritos into my inventory and making someone cyber poo poo themselves to death

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Doesn’t help that SAC tries to talk about straightforward things but covers them with philosophy and potentially confusing terminology. E.g. Kuze loves to talk about “the base and the superstructure” when he just means that he is going to use his cyber brain to link with a bunch of people and build solidarity real quick. And if that doesn’t work then have the refugees upload their consciousness online because he is the only one with military training and knows that if the military invades the refugees will just get steam rolled instantly.

Yeah you can definitely tell between the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven that someone writing SAC is a huuuge philosophy nerd, which I love but it does get heady and hard to follow when the concepts really aren't that complex.

Philosophers love naming things with weird generic terms

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

Maybe CDPR could have looked to William Gibson, an author who handled trans characters very well in the 80s and has continued to do so even in his last two novels.

I wonder if they've ever heard of him. He's pretty obscure.

It’s based on the work of another author, Mike Pondsmith.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CottonWolf posted:

SAC has a lot of episodes about the collision between transhumanism and the life of normies in a world where most people are not and will never reach transhuman status. Just as an example, the episode where the man becomes a tank to own his conservative religious parents comes to mind.

God that was an amazing episode. poo poo that was an amazing series. I need to see if it’s streaming anywhere. Thank you for reminding me about it!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I definitely don't feel comfortable sub 90 anymore.

Is your 144hz monitor actually freesync/gsync though? Are you connected over HDMI or DisplayPort?

Because if its not gsync and displayport then you're only seeing 60.

LG 27GL83A-B

Connected via display port, and went out of my way to buy a DP1.4 cable, just to make sure, monitor shows 144hz. UFO test shows 144hz.

It's "obviously" smoother to scroll with, but in games it's less obvious.

I can tell the difference, but it seems like people made this out to be that I'd be floored by the difference from 60->144hz and I'm only mostly unimpressed by that factor.

I'm more interested in getting no tearing while at random FPS targets instead of quarters like 30/45/60/etc, and that's cool by itself, otherwise, who cares?

The increased resolution alone is way cooler to me.

Turin Turambar posted:

The higher the hz, the less noticeable the effect. So I would say 60 to 90hz is still nice to have, but 90hz to 120hz is very subtle.

I've experienced 90hz on my Pixel 4 XL so I could see the improvement here, from 60hz, and 144hz is "smoother", sure, but it doesn't wow me like the impact of going to 1080p or my 4k TV or my work 4k monitor (which is entirely too large at 40"?)

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sometimes I think I must have terrible eyesight or something. I can notice bad image quality but the difference between 30fps and 60fps is almost unnoticeable to me. I feel like I'd be able to pick which was which if you put two videos side by side but I'm not confident of it.

Almost every single thing you've ever seen on tv or in a cinema was in 24fps. Did any of it look janky or unlifelike to you?

this is not a great comparison. 24fps movies are following only a single point (the current camera). These movies don't really swing around much, and when they do, it looks loving awful (cloverfield, for example). You're not playing a game where it's completely on rails, you need to swing around and look at stuff on a moment's notice, and that's where you're going to see the massive impact of a measly 24 fps. the difference between 30 and 60fps is like the difference between i guess the sky color and the water color blue. They tend to be obviously different colors at most times.

All I'm really saying is, for me, past 60hz there's a much lower curve once you get to 120hz. It would be interesting to see what your eye's natural limit for refresh rate is.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlternateAccount posted:

Aw man, that was a good episode.

Sorry for the bad dub :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLvlozh6ysY

It had a great English dub. :colbert:

Well the original series not the combined movie one. I mean it wasn’t trash but it wasn’t the original cast.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

I mean we're going round in circles at this point but it seems legitimate for people to express their disappointment that its stayed so close to the work of Mike Pondsmith, the author.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
hey

can you keep playing sidequests after finishing the main quest

I'd like to know that about the videogame, that's all

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Grumbles posted:

I mean we're going round in circles at this point but it seems legitimate for people to express their disappointment that its stayed so close to the work of Mike Pondsmith, the author.

I wonder how many reviewers even know that Mike Pondsmith isn’t a white British guy.

Learned that a few years ago...never depend on a name to assume anything. :lol:

Also don’t assume stereotypes. But hey it was a good learning experience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

black.lion posted:

Hey so I mean this as a big question with zero rhetorical aim at all - is there a game that has stepped this thoroughly into trans dialog that has handled it better than CP2077 appears to have, based on this review (and others)?

I hear you on wanting positive trans characters 1000% (and I hope they're in there, hiding in the bajillion hours of sidequests that reviewers didn't have time to get to) but I took a moment to think back as if to say "yeah, like [that game]" but I drew a blank... what games have come out that really approached depicting trans persons, and of that list, which have done it well?
I mean, do you mean big tentpole AAA releases or all video games, ever.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I wonder how many reviewers even know that Mike Pondsmith isn’t a white British guy.

He also wrote the Dragon Ball Z pen and paper RPG. CD Projekt shoulda made DBZ Kakarot.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

hey

If like any of CDPR previous works, the answer is no. Their games traditionally have a definite end.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

hey

Yes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Grumbles posted:

sure but witcher statyed pretty loving close to Sapkowski work too though its more of a continuation/sequel. i think the issue with pondsmiths is they wernt stories, they were world building and light narratives. with witcher, you have a pretty set geralt and no matter what your choices, you can go to the books and make point about how its like something geralt would do. the only reason its noticable is that Sapkowski characters and world were on firmer footing that pen and paper RPG codexs. i think the issue is the name. if pondsmith had named it something else. there would be way less issues. but he was writing this poo poo around the same time gibson and co were writing stuff.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

same and probably alot of them.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Back Hack posted:

If like any of CDPR previous works, the answer is no.

that's what I was thinking, though I hoped I could follow the narrative impulse to remove Keanu Reeves from my skull and then just gently caress Around in the epilogue

none of the reviewers seemed to touch on that

whaaaaaait there's discord

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Back Hack posted:

If like any of CDPR previous works, the answer is no. Their games traditionally have a definite end.

I'm fairly certain you could do whatever after the main quest in the witcher 3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Back Hack posted:

you can play after main quest i believe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

God that was an amazing episode. poo poo that was an amazing series. I need to see if it’s streaming anywhere. Thank you for reminding me about it!

Streaming free on Adult Swim

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Blue Raider posted:

Who based his setting almost entirely on the ideas in the works of William Gibson, your point?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also the game probably has stuff similar to the SAC clip posted, I remember there was a quest about a Buddhist monk that was forcibly given cybernetic implants by Maelstrom in the gameplay shown like 6 months ago. The problem is that the average reviewer has just been mainlining the story to be able to write a review in time, and eschewing a lot of side jobs.

In the IGN review, the guy said he got an ending in like 20 hours, then reloaded his save, did 20 hours of side quests and had a ton of new possible endings open up to him.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

hey

At least two reviews mention that yes you can, they intend to go back to finish them.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

step a.) everything possible to Get Keanu Out Of V's Skull
step 2.) live life a free V, breathing in the stifled air of Night City

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

that's what I was thinking, though I hoped I could follow the narrative impulse to remove Keanu Reeves from my skull and then just gently caress Around in the epilogue

In TW3 there was a giant message that popped up on the screen saying "save now! after this point some side stuff may be unavailable!". Also once you finished the game you could still roam around and do most quests, plus all the DLC obviously.

It shouldn't be a problem

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.gamepur.com/news/you-can-keep-playing-after-cyberpunk-2077-find-out-how

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Firebert posted:

Also the game probably has stuff similar to the SAC clip posted, I remember there was a quest about a Buddhist monk that was forcibly given cybernetic implants by Maelstrom in the gameplay shown like 6 months ago. The problem is that the average reviewer has just been mainlining the story to be able to write a review in time, and eschewing a lot of side jobs.

In the IGN review, the guy said he got an ending in like 20 hours, then reloaded his save, did 20 hours of side quests and had a ton of new possible endings open up to him.

yeah. it sounds more like new vegas than witcher 3. their is a clear main path and you can do it quick. but its unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

Who based his setting almost entirely on the ideas in the works of William Gibson, your point?

More devs should base their games on other author's work, that way when they are met with even the mildest criticisms their fans can say 'bbbut the source material' and hand wave them away