Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
So, how much additional crunch are the workers going to be put under now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

nexus6 posted:

What the hell were those delays and crunch time for then?

probably recognizing the game was a huge loving mess of bugs, as ambitious open world games often are. at a certain point you have to fix as much as you can for a release candidate just to get the game out the door, and then keep fixing as much as possible for a release day patch

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bushmaori posted:

So, how much additional crunch are the workers going to be put under now?

lmao crunch is now permanent. if you don't like it, there's a dozen applicants waiting for your spot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gschmidl posted:

1 was so buggy it almost sank the company, and needed to be re-released with about 80% (I think) of the game re-done. 2 was better but still needed a re-release to be good.

Both statements are wrong, TW1 and 2 were huge financial and critical successes right out of the gate. Maybe not in the US, in the case of TW1, but that wasn't the target market.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

gschmidl posted:

1 was so buggy it almost sank the company, and needed to be re-released with about 80% (I think) of the game re-done. 2 was better but still needed a re-release to be good.

Even the re-release of 1 is buggy as poo poo. It's also unbelievably terrible.

It's mind-blowing that Witcher 1 was made by the same company as the sequels, really amazing improvement.

Fake edit:

steinrokkan posted:

Both statements are wrong, TW1 and 2 were huge financial and critical successes right out of the gate. Maybe not in the US, in the case of TW1, but that wasn't the target market.

People liked Witcher 1? Holy poo poo, that's even crazier than what I said above.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

EasilyConfused posted:

Even the re-release of 1 is buggy as poo poo. It's also unbelievably terrible.

It's mind-blowing that Witcher 1 was made by the same company as the sequels, really amazing improvement.

Fake edit:

People liked Witcher 1? Holy poo poo, that's even crazier than what I said above.

Yeah I remember people liking it too. I also remember trying it, having it run like poo poo, and then crashing, but I kind of assumed that was my PC.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

steinrokkan posted:

Had to go check and I confused this with the console version of 1, which was outsourced and so disastrous that it needed to be cancelled. The original release was criticised for its many bugs, though (much like Cyberpunk right now!), and the EE is basically a complete overhaul.

I'll stop this derail now and the schad is on me and my failing memory.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bushmaori posted:

Yeah I remember people liking it too. I also remember trying it, having it run like poo poo, and then crashing, but I kind of assumed that was my PC.

Maybe people liked how horny it was? Not a lot of RPGs let you gently caress all the female characters and reward you with "sexy" pictures.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

luxury handset posted:

i do applaud the brave souls who pre-ordered this knowing it would be a total mess and in fact anticipating that short window of utterly broken gameplay before it gets patched. you can really only experience games like this in a half finished state before they are patched forever, since it is hard these days to get a physical disc which forever has the 1.0 release on it
Get it on GOG and save the day 1 installer

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bushmaori posted:

I know Witcher 3 launched buggily as well, but anyone remember the launch-states of 1 and 2?

Yeah I got 1 on steam because I have to play the first game in the series and :barf:

Witcher 3 is currently decent.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo Witcher 1 is a textbook case of a game that is deeply flawed but still enjoyable.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Reading the PC Gamer review, it could be about any game release since Oblivion.
  • buggy
  • gorgeous visuals, best ever, I could live here
  • a particularly good mission
  • NPCs are stiff and uncanny
  • I had a good power fantasy
  • *paragraph of an action sequence I did*
  • I can choose any number of paths, but I railroaded myself
  • hopefully they'll fix the bugs and it'll be really good

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

Maybe people liked how horny it was? Not a lot of RPGs let you gently caress all the female characters and reward you with "sexy" pictures.

All of the nudity in the first one was drawings on a couple of character cards iirc so I doubt it was that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wait...Witcher 3's UI interface used to be worse?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait...Witcher 3's UI interface used to be worse?

I remember they patched it when I was playing it because some of the item stack sizes were absolutely ridiculously small

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gschmidl posted:

Had to go check and I confused this with the console version of 1, which was outsourced and so disastrous that it needed to be cancelled. The original release was criticised for its many bugs, though (much like Cyberpunk right now!), and the EE is basically a complete overhaul.

I'll stop this derail now and the schad is on me and my failing memory.

The original release was hailed as the best RPG in years by Central European press, which is what the game was tuned for. The criticisms were muted at the time and largely appeared in retrospect, and from western audiences.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EasilyConfused posted:

Yes, it's a great game.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I’m not letting this beaut be hidden under bideo djames talk. Sound all the way up on that

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

I’m not letting this beaut be hidden under bideo djames talk. Sound all the way up on that

Didn't that guy have some pretty awful burns? I remember there was a report of the aftermath at some point...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What did he throw in there? I can't make it out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marshmallow creep posted:

I took it for ashes from previous burns but who knows

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Powdered gasoline

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Powdered charcoal I think. I think it was posted before with a pretty good follow-up of some good/bad burns.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

BlancoNino posted:

Powdered charcoal I think.

What is powdered charcoal even for?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Explosions, from what I can tell.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid I started but never finished assembling a thing that used a bicycle pump, powdered charcoal and a candle. It was supposed to use the pump to aerosolize the charcoal inside a box where a candle was burning. I don't know if I got the idea from the anarchist cookbook or what, but fortunately I never actually finished the thing.

Kids: Stupid as hell

edit: Also tried making a bomb with gasoline and potassium permanganate. Definitely from the anarchist cookbook. Happily it didn't work at all because I was way too close when I tried to detonate it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just about anything in fine enough form is good for carrying a flame. I remember reading about flour being insanely flammable in the olden days because of how fine it is and a bunch of buildings blowing up because of a single spark or a farmhand with a lantern with all the flour dust in the air.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

A can of idiocy.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/5d5YAmo.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5611489/Mans-horrific-injuries-revealed-engulfed-flames-barbecue.html

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Stare-Out posted:

Just about anything in fine enough form is good for carrying a flame. I remember reading about flour being insanely flammable in the olden days because of how fine it is and a bunch of buildings blowing up because of a single spark or a farmhand with a lantern with all the flour dust in the air.

Wooden shovels were a thing for a reason

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Powdered drink mix can be fun at bonfires, the burnt sugar smells like marshmallows and you are less likely to burn a yard with gasoline! You might only lose arm hair and eyebrows as well.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Grain and flour can achieve a stoiciometric ratio that makes them explosive with an ignition source. Check out the videos of people puting floor in hair dryers as a prank.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

James Woods posted:

Grain and flour can achieve a stoiciometric ratio that makes them explosive with an ignition source. Check out the videos of people puting floor in hair dryers as a prank.

Stoiciometric? Hey cool, learning stuff! Yeah I've seen those videos and ever since I learned about some of this stuff as a kid, it kind of baffles me how people don't get how insanely dangerous that stuff can be. One specific example is someone lighting up a cigarette in a grain mill and the whole building got leveled by the explosion, that never left me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/P2Y7ekr.gifv

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't know Undertaker had a daughter.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wrestling on ice.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fuckin' iced him

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Schadenfreude: Feeling Down and Starting to See This Queso Slip Away Sucks

In queso emergency, pray to cheesus

The Bloop posted:

Who the gently caress has an in-ground trampoline

The snake was pissed that the guy didn't even ask...I mean it's basic courtesy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Stoiciometric? Hey cool, learning stuff! Yeah I've seen those videos and ever since I learned about some of this stuff as a kid, it kind of baffles me how people don't get how insanely dangerous that stuff can be. One specific example is someone lighting up a cigarette in a grain mill and the whole building got leveled by the explosion, that never left me.

A sugar mill exploded in Georgia USA in 2008. Killed 14 people.