Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ally_harp/status/1335888276192976896?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reminder that Air Force One is not an individual plane. Any plane the president is flying on at the moment is AF1.

Any Air Force plane the president is flying on.

The helicopter that ferries him to/from the south lawn is courtesy of the Marine Corps and uses the call sign “Marine One”.

A civilian craft would be “Executive One”.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol owned

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status...ingawful.com%2F

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rush Limbaugh is now even more all-in on supporting Trump and how, if the runoffs are lost in Georgia, it's the fault of the Establishment Republicans and not Big Strong Despot.

I just hope this is causing irreparable damage to the GOP.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Well, I guess we can't leave then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

The helicopter that ferries him to/from the south lawn is courtesy of the Marine Corps and uses the call sign “Marine One”.

Thank you for the correction. I thought all helicopters he flew on were Marine One. So when Bush was on the Navy S-3B right before his "Mission Accomplished" speech, would that have been Navy One?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yup.

There's also army and I think even coast guard but that one hasn't ever happened. Maybe army hasn't either

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thank you for the correction. I thought all helicopters he flew on were Marine One. So when Bush was on the Navy S-3B right before his "Mission Accomplished" speech, would that have been Navy One?

The Navy’s museum says “yes”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup.

There's also army and I think even coast guard but that one hasn't ever happened. Maybe army hasn't either

Wikipedia’s pages for the call sign says the president flew (nonexclusively) in Army helicopters between 1957 and 1976. It is not explicitly stated that the call sign has never been used since.

“Coast Guard One” has, also according to Wikipedia, never been used, but Biden has flown on Coast Guard Two.

G. W. B.’s flight home to Texas on the day he left office got the call sign “S.A.M. 28000” for “Special Air Mission”. “28000” is the tail number of one of the VC‐25s, i.e. the modified 747s usually used to transport the president.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 7, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Two things should happen on Inauguration Day. Biden should recall the VC-25(s) from Florida, and rescind the decision to change the paint scheme for the new aircraft.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wait i missed AFOs were getting new paint. Was there a visualization published ever?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Stravag posted:

Wait i missed AFOs were getting new paint. Was there a visualization published ever?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stravag posted:

It's specifically for the new 747-8s the gov't will use to replace the current -200s. The current jets won't be repainted.

Edit: I hadn't seen that they'll be called VC-25B. I was wondering about that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump’s proposed scheme is his personal plane’s but flipped vertically.

If Biden didn’t change it, Trump would complain.

He’ll complain either way.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Didn’t trump want to do something way more gawky than that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The new VC-25Bs will lack in-flight refueling capability. They've never actually refuelled with the president aboard, but it still seems like a bad idea.

That being said, the E-4s have refueling capability but they're...kinda short on creature comforts. Like, "no shower" short.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Woofer posted:

Didn’t trump want to do something way more gawky than that

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The new VC-25Bs will lack in-flight refueling capability. They've never actually refuelled with the president aboard, but it still seems like a bad idea.

That being said, the E-4s retain refueling capability but they're...kinda short on creature comforts. Like, "no shower" short.

Not having a refueling capability seems very bad. Hell even for just transcontinental flights for prep when they have two on station (at least if I’m remembering that Bush era Nat Geo special on the plane correctly).

Honestly I think the fact they can stay airborne so long adds a small, but good part, to nuclear deterrence.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MY president

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

All other things considered, why would you ever think about removing that capability once instituted?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

All other things considered, why would you ever think about removing that capability once instituted?

Boeing was asked to specifically figure out how to save as many pennies as possible on the new ones in 2016 specifically in IFR and communications. If you’re only going by that measure it’s an obvious thing to cut regardless of utility but it seems like comms especially are one thing you don’t want to cheap out on when it comes to presidential transport.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

Boeing was asked to specifically figure out how to save as many pennies as possible on the new ones in 2016 specifically in IFR and communications. If you’re only going by that measure it’s an obvious thing to cut regardless of utility but it seems like comms especially are one thing you don’t want to cheap out on when it comes to presidential transport.

Jesus Christ. Like I mean gently caress that and make that thing as (while good and no feature creep or garbage not yet read) as possible. That thing is a symbol of the country and more so after its comms shithouse performance during 9/11 it should constantly have the goal to be so powerful that President can direct from above during a national crisis or if abroad and still stream 4K games nonstop (silly example but I mean it can handle the job and then do even more...overkill and redundancy built into it).

Also for cool history stuff.
https://twitter.com/usnatarchives/status/1336036518725623816?s=21

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1336042353153499137

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1336043829884030981

I'm personally thinking that the logisticians at Operation Warp Speed are keeping all this poo poo under wraps so the White House doesn't stick their dumbass noses into them. I could be wrong, but based on the people involved, I doubt it.

But it'll be fun when news reports come out about Pfizer vaccines getting spoiled because someone in the non-governmental portion of the supply chain fucks up.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Platystemon posted:

Amtrak One coming soon?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup.

It would be an incredible petty spite dunk to transfer 89'th Airlift Wing to USPHS just to get that callsign repeated on TV a million times and I hope Biden does it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LongDarkNight posted:

Amtrak One coming soon?

Uber 1

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1336065787900145665?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Reminder that the only reason the VC-25s got fast tracked in the first place is because Trump was embarrassed that his 747 was shorter than the Qatari and Kuwaiti 7478i VIPs he saw before the now notorious ORB meeting. Before that he was all "spendy Obama and his new planes! :sad:"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Reminder that the only reason the VC-25s got fast tracked in the first place is because Trump was embarrassed that his 747 was shorter than the Qatari and Kuwaiti 7478i VIPs he saw before the now notorious ORB meeting. Before that he was all "spendy Obama and his new planes! :sad:"

And he won't even get to enjoy his selfishness.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1336064865111306240

Donnie hosed up and didn't buy enough up-front, so Pfizer locked up deals with other countries and they're now basically tapped out. Knowing he hosed up and likely cared too much about reelection to think long-term (or at all), Donnie is going to sign an Executive Order "making Americans the priority". It will likely not carry any legal power and get tangled up in courts at best.

He put all his eggs into the vaccine basket and forgot to make the basket big enough.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I know it's cool to say that 2020 sucked, but folks, I gotta opine that this whole god drat decade was pretty much just flaccid, turgid rear end

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1336064865111306240

Donnie hosed up and didn't buy enough up-front, so Pfizer locked up deals with other countries and they're now basically tapped out. Knowing he hosed up and likely cared too much about reelection to think long-term (or at all), Donnie is going to sign an Executive Order "making Americans the priority". It will likely not carry any legal power and get tangled up in courts at best.

He put all his eggs into the vaccine basket and forgot to make the basket big enough.

"I was trying to get a deal. I'm a master negotiator!" :smugdon:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That's super hosed up

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I know it's cool to say that 2020 sucked, but folks, I gotta opine that this whole god drat decade was pretty much just flaccid, turgid rear end

This millennium's been a huge letdown so far OP

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Terrifying Effigies posted:

This millennium's been a huge letdown so far OP
:hmmyes:
The 90's weren't good, exactly, but compared to everything that followed, lol just lol

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I admittedly wasn’t paying attention until the last decade but it really seems like poo poo started going off the rails in 2012ish. It was a slower burn until then, but the wick ran out and the dynamite finally exploded. But I’m sure if I was paying attention I could’ve seen things flying off the rails after 9/11.

Bin Laden won.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

So they arrested her for having information about covid infection & death rates?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

ded posted:

So they arrested her for having information about covid infection & death rates?

For making the state look bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ded posted:

They didn't arrest her. They raided her house and took all of her equipment so they can figure out her sources and see if there's any crime they can charge her with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

The way the dude calmly walked in and pulled his pistol out of the holster says a LOT to me.