Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Question about the ascension materials shops - is there a finite number of sigils in the game, and do the shops restock?

Additionally, what's the best way to farm weapon prototypes? I would like to give Noelle Whiteblind at some point and Razor needs his own greatsword (I've given him Beidou's Protoype Aminus atm since nothing good has dropped yet, and I've not invested into him since I've dumped too much into Xiangling and Fischl to really go further on him),plus Qiqi needs a not-poo poo sword maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
releasing underpowered characters isn't unethical wtf

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Nakar posted:

Literally any attack in the Isotoma field generates a Transient Blossom. Just attacking will keep them coming, at least the way the skill is written. Zhongli has no special synergy here and is potentially worse if the resonance is out of sync with the field duration. Hell, as written a grass fire will generate the blossoms. He's not enabling anything special from Albedo nor is Albedo doing anything for him he isn't doing for anybody else.

Do we know this for sure though? This could be another Tartaglia or Venti situation where the character looks different until you get into the finer point of his stats or how the actual skills he has work. At which point he starts ripping poo poo up in practical gameplay. The steles may have some interaction with them, since it's not the character in question doing the damage and is in fact just a shockwave/whatever it is.

Like, just off the top of my head if the 2s cooldown applies only on hit then if the Solar Isotoma produces a resonance shockwave from a stele it's effectively capable of hitting everything around it. Does that generate a blossom for each hit if the AOE from the stele counts as one attack? Or just one?

Incidentally, this is part of why people keep freaking out on reddit too. Since the skill descriptions even when characters are in the game are sometimes lacking in describing the finer point of game mechanics at first glance. That being said, it does seem like in every other respect he's severely overrated in his usefulness since the Geo MC still has much more utility and can just crap damage everywhere with the right build.

Reiterpallasch posted:

releasing underpowered characters isn't unethical wtf

Congrats on not reading the post.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 7, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

The Deleter posted:

Additionally, what's the best way to farm weapon prototypes?

Do every boss every week and sacrifice a lamb

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There is a finite number of sigils, and the stores to the best of our knowledge do not restock. I'm still holding onto my sigils out of paranoia and because I haven't needed the extra mora yet.

The Deleter posted:

Question about the ascension materials shops - is there a finite number of sigils in the game, and do the shops restock?

Additionally, what's the best way to farm weapon prototypes? I would like to give Noelle Whiteblind at some point and Razor needs his own greatsword (I've given him Beidou's Protoype Aminus atm since nothing good has dropped yet, and I've not invested into him since I've dumped too much into Xiangling and Fischl to really go further on him),plus Qiqi needs a not-poo poo sword maybe.
There is no way to farm them beyond weekly bosses. They drop quite rarely, up until today I'd gotten three drops over the course of a few months (though today I got two!). The understood drop rate is ~10% chance to drop per boss kill, ie you will get one random prototype every three weeks. They are very very precious, do not refine your prototypes. I haven't gotten any more sword or claymore prototypes since I started.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
rampant power creep devaluing people's time/resource investment is usually what gets called out as unethical in these kind of gacha treadmills

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Archonex posted:

Do we know this for sure though? This could be another Tartaglia or Venti situation where the character looks different until you get into the finer point of his stats or how the actual skills he has work. At which point he starts ripping poo poo up in practical gameplay. The steles may have some interaction with them, since it's not the character in question doing the damage and is in fact just a shockwave/whatever it is.

Like, just off the top of my head if the 2s cooldown applies only on hit then if the Solar Isotoma produces a resonance shockwave from a stele it's effectively capable of hitting everything around it. Does that generate a blossom for each hit if the AOE from the stele counts as one attack? Or just one?

Incidentally, this is part of why people keep freaking out on reddit too. Since the skill descriptions even when characters are in the game are sometimes lacking in describing the finer point of game mechanics at first glance. That being said, it does seem like in every other respect he's severely overrated in his usefulness since the Geo MC still has much more utility and can just crap damage everywhere with the right build.

It's almost like people should stop freaking out over beta stuff

(and zhong in general)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

No Wave posted:

There is a finite number of sigils, and the stores to the best of our knowledge do not restock. I'm still holding onto my sigils out of paranoia and because I haven't needed the extra mora yet.

Sigils are infinite, at least in Liyue. You can get them from floating crates in the water and holes on cliffs, which respawn.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

Congrats on not reading the post.

congrats on being nowhere near as clear a communicator as you seem to think you are because i really did try

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

No Wave posted:

I don't have any problem with an existing character being made stronger by other characters. If that's driving you up the wall you are going to drive yourself crazy playing this game because that will never stop, it is fundamental to how this game works.

Yeah, I don't understand the issue, that's the whole point of the elemental reaction system to begin with. Geo is special in that it doesn't synergize with elemental reactions, it's clearly meant to synergize with other Geo units. I don't think that's great design, but there's nothing wrong about going that way.

We'll almost certainly get more Geo 4*s eventually who can also synergize with Geo. Geo is probably going to end up its own niche, with the best possible Geo team you can have being composed of high-constellation five stars (shocker), but you can also make the core themes workable by subbing in 4*s instead.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They have to release disappointing characters at some point, or else the game will be nothing but power creep, and power creep will be readily obvious (if Klee had been straight up better than Diluc in every respect we'd already have seen it).

Hell, they may release a character who is downright terrible! Every game like this does it now and again, and it isn't some master plan where they're going to release stuff that makes them good later and they knew it all along.

Zhongli isn't terrible at all, he's just not what people wanted from his appearance and story role. People really like his character so they're disappointed with the unit. It sucks for them but also his stats are not a secret and they give two chances to test him out. If someone rolled because they like him no matter how he is mechanically, good for them. If they rolled because they're betting on future synergy or buffs, hey that's their gamble to make. If they rolled aware he wasn't what they wanted and then complained that he wasn't what they wanted, that's just silly.

But someday there will be an absolute dumpster fire character that Mihoyo releases, and all we can hope is that they're limited so they can't pollute the general pool.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Nerds crying on Reddit: "Whaaa, they nerfed Zhongli's energy generation, he cant DPS as well as Klee. He was clearly supposed to a DPS god!!! WHY DID I SPENT $500 TO GET HIM TO C6? A-BLOO-BOO-HOO"

Me, on the phone: "Hello Mihoyo, I got a crisp new hundred dollar bill here, it would be a shame if it went in to my savings account. You know what you have to do to get it. That's right... more twinks. Until then.... muahahaha!" *Click*

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
And I just wanna add that I have Zhongli, I like Zhongli, I'm disappointed he isn't stronger of course but so what? I wasn't promised anything, and I had the option of not pulling. There will be other 5*s in the future. I think he's dapper.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm convinced 90% of the outrage is from people who either wanted Geo Diluc or Geo Venti, someone who you can mindlessly plop on a team and they can still outperform most characters in the game. It only takes a little understanding of how elements work in this game to know that a Geo character will never do that in the current state unless they're just ridiculously overtuned.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

No Wave posted:

There is no way to farm them beyond weekly bosses. They drop quite rarely, up until today I'd gotten three drops over the course of a few months (though today I got two!). The understood drop rate is ~10% chance to drop per boss kill, ie you will get one random prototype every three weeks. They are very very precious, do not refine your prototypes. I haven't gotten any more sword or claymore prototypes since I started.

gandlethorpe posted:

Sigils are infinite, at least in Liyue. You can get them from floating crates in the water and holes on cliffs, which respawn.

Well poo poo, I'm holding onto them then. That runs counter to my entire gut feeling which is at least giving everyone a decent weapon.

Also I have not put a single thing into Zhongli yet but I'm glad I have him cos he looks cool.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Nerds crying on Reddit: "Whaaa, they nerfed Zhongli's energy generation, he cant DPS as well as Klee. He was clearly supposed to a DPS god!!! WHY DID I SPENT $500 TO GET HIM TO C6? A-BLOO-BOO-HOO"

Me, on the phone: "Hello Mihoyo, I got a crisp new hundred dollar bill here, it would be a shame if it went in to my savings account. You know what you have to do to get it. That's right... more twinks. Until then.... muahahaha!" *Click*

It's your fault we don't have a muscle man :argh: it's weird I'm not even into muscle like that I just want the option man

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm convinced 90% of the outrage is from people who either wanted Geo Diluc or Geo Venti, someone who you can mindlessly plop on a team and they can still outperform most characters in the game. It only takes a little understanding of how elements work in this game to know that a Geo character will never do that in the current state unless they're just ridiculously overtuned.

He does but suck but.....just don't pull folks

Ashenai posted:

And I just wanna add that I have Zhongli, I like Zhongli, I'm disappointed he isn't stronger of course but so what? I wasn't promised anything, and I had the option of not pulling. There will be other 5*s in the future. I think he's dapper.

That's gacha rule #1

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Deleter posted:

Well poo poo, I'm holding onto them then. That runs counter to my entire gut feeling which is at least giving everyone a decent weapon.

Also I have not put a single thing into Zhongli yet but I'm glad I have him cos he looks cool.
Yeah I love having each of my characters holding a purple. But it bit me when I made whiteblind for Noelle and Aminus for Razor and never really used either character (ok, Razor mines so at least he looks nice while doing it). Allegedly there are new craftable weapons being released in 1.2 that also require prototypes, meaning that prototype value will only grow in the future so you should only use them when you're actually going to level and use the weapon you're crafting.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

gandlethorpe posted:

There's been plenty of people that pointed out that he has a hard time even fulfilling his role as a defensive support like MiHoYo claims he's supposed to be. This isn't about people wanting him to just crush everything effortlessly like Diluc or Venti. It's about the fact that he's subpar even in the poo poo he's supposed to be good at.

Those idiots that want Diluc or Venti 2.0 exist. But the vast majority of the people are pointing out that he's undertuned compared to where he needs to be if he wants to be the sort of character that can support a group in the way that MiHoYo suggests. Worse still, a vital chunk of his co-op functionality in his intended role is hidden behind his C2. Which for a 5 star is nasty if you were hoping to use him in that capacity. Couple this with seemingly glitchy energy generation and you have a recipe for lots of people having a legitimate reason to be annoyed that he can't even do the poo poo he is supposed to be good at properly without a lot of finagling or a group comp dedicated to fueling meteors (In the case of his C2 for proccing shields in co-op, or just as a burst spammer. Which he is good at. His burst is absolutely top tier when it comes to damage potential.).

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 7, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Archonex posted:

Well then you haven't been listening, since there's been plenty of people that point out that he has a hard time even fulfilling his role as a defensive support like MiHoYo claims he's supposed to be.

Those idiots exist. But the vast majority of the people are pointing out that he's under tuned compared to where he needs to be if he wants to be the sort of character that can support a group like that. Worse still, a vital chunk of his co-op functionality in this role is hidden behind his C2.

No, I think there are legitimate grievances like the energy thing. His attack chain also has no reason being worse than Xiangling's, but it's not that much worse as people say. And why isn't his ascension stat HP%? Very odd choices. Most of the conversation doesn't really center around that. Or the fundamental problem that is Geo.

But the people saying BoYcOt MiHoYo, trying to pursue legal action for false advertisement, and even just ones saying that he's the first 3* character are loving idiots and bandwagoners.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 7, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SirKibbles posted:

That's gacha rule #1

This is why I'm holding my pulls until at least Ganyu, but probably Ayaka.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why would you complain that the 4* you get for free is competitive with a 5* you have to pay for. Xiangling being as dumb strong as she is is one of the best things this game has going for it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

No, I think there are legitimate grievances like the energy thing. His attack chain also has no reason being worse than Xiangling's, but it's not that much worse as people say. And why isn't his ascension stat HP%? Very odd choices. Most of the conversation doesn't really center around that.

But the people saying BoYcOt MiHoYo, trying to pursue legal action for false advertisement, and even just ones saying that he's the first 3* character are loving idiots and bandwagoners.

I can't answer why the first two are so bad. But in all likelihood his ascension stat is HP% because it scales off of his last talent. The last talent he can get increases his burst's damage by something like 33% of his HP. His burst is literally the only thing that lets him have any real damage potential to support the group for DPS time trials and the like as it currently stands. So that's pretty crucial.

In addition to that, Jade Shield also scales off of his HP from what I remember. Meaning he needs a lot of it to at least try to be competitive with other characters that can apply a shield and do other useful stuff as well at the same time. Unfortunately, as mentioned in co-op this is not useful for the group unless you have his C2, which lets you apply his shield to nearby players when you cast it. Meaning you're stuck with stele crystalizes and absorb's if you're needing an emergency shield to survive something.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Archonex posted:

I can't answer why the first two are so bad. But in all likelihood his ascension stat is HP% because it scales off of his last talent. The last talent he can get increases his burst's damage by something like 33% of his HP. His burst is literally the only thing that lets him have any real damage potential to support the group for DPS time trials and the like as it currently stands. So that's pretty crucial.

In addition to that, Jade Shield also scales off of his HP from what I remember. Meaning he needs a lot of it to at least try to be competitive with other characters. Unfortunately, as mentioned in co-op this is not useful for the group unless you have his C2, which lets you apply his shield to nearby players when you cast it. Meaning you're stuck with stele crystalizes and absorb's if you're needing an emergency shield to survive something.

You misread, it's not HP%, but given his kit it should be. It's Geo DMG when he's not meant to be a DPS.

Diona's is also Cryo DMG. Mihoyo pls

Archonex
May 2, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

You misread, it's not HP%, but given his kit it should be. It's Geo DMG when he's not meant to be a DPS.

Yeah, that's my bad. Got distracted while reading it and misread it as him having HP% instead, which I should have noticed wasn't right on my part. The geo damage thing is a good point though. Not sure if why that is, since it's clear that outside of his burst he just doesn't...Well, do damage. Like, at all. The stuff I mentioned about his burst could still apply however. Since it literally is the only thing keeping him in the team in harder content like the Abyss at the moment for most people. He just doesn't have the output or defensive staying power for most team comps or builds people have access too.

His overall design just has some severe issues they need to address. He's caught between several roles and it seems like he's not pursuing any of them well. Albedo isn't going to change that. Nor will any other character unless they can somehow multiply his outgoing damage on his skill and basic attack to somehow compensate for the fact that his defensive traits aren't competing with the likes of Diona.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

His ascension stat is geo damage. His ascension stat isn't HP because they just made his baseline HP percentage bigger instead, he has 1700 more hp than ~~~Diluc~~~ at level 90 (and >2k more HP than Barbara, whose ascension stat is HP).

I imagine geo damage is just plain better, but you can go HP on your goblet if you really want to compensate for it for whatever reason.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
legit not asking this in bad faith: is co-op performance actually something that matters to you? in AR45 domains it's impossible to tell who's contributing at all in that blizzard of numbers and skill effects (and people who don't understand the basic mechanics of the game), and the only content in which character power matters doesn't let you co-op at all. like what, would zhongli's shield really help someone who goes afk in an abyss mage spell and then wonders why they're dead?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly people should just not be basing stuff off beta leaks ever. Especially when the beta is closed to the public and under NDA, things changing from that an release is not mihoyo tricking or lying to people which seems to be another common element of the boycott crowd which is nuts to me.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i guess if abyss worked more like memorial arena i'd see more of a reason to be mad, but it...doesn't

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

legit not asking this in bad faith: is co-op performance actually something that matters to you? in AR45 domains it's impossible to tell who's contributing at all in that blizzard of numbers and skill effects (and people who don't understand the basic mechanics of the game), and the only content in which character power matters doesn't let you co-op at all. like what, would zhongli's shield really help someone who goes afk in an abyss mage spell and then wonders why they're dead?

Seeing as how some of the domains have some fairly bullshit enemy layouts I would say that it does matter. Especially if they're going to keep scaling the difficulty upwards as new enemies are introduced.

All this sets aside the fact that if he's supposed to be a defensive support then you want him to be able to do this role in both SP and co-op. Since otherwise you've created the issue the issue of cash shopping to get basic functionality in as they have now.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I've never co-op'd with anyone but irl friends, except for that one alchemy event.

A bit elitist, but it makes me think that the people who say "ZhOnGlI gOt Me KiCkEd" must not be able to do domains on their own. And the people who do the kicking for that matter.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The argument of Zhong needing other characters to do well being evidence he’s trash is also stupid because that is literally how the game loving works. Is he underpowered right now? Yeah it kinda seems like it. Is this some malicious scheme by Mihoyo to force people to whale because the community creepily latched on to him? No because they made 400 million dollars before he was even a twinkle in the banner’s eye.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Are Noelle, Diona, Xinyan, Beidou C1, and The Bell also missing this basic functionality of shielding the entire team in co-op at C0? The only team-wide co-op shield are Diona's C2 constellation and Zhong's C2 (and Diona's shield is weakened). Xingqiu's E doesn't make sword barriers for everyone - is this also a case of basic functionality missing?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 7, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Diona gets shield sharing at C2. But yeah, it's not baseline on anyone.

Also, Zhongli can shield his team. With all the crystals he creates while eating up their reactions :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
when i hit 45 i literally did not have the damage to kill the first slime in the crimson witch/lavawalker domain because it was immune to my klee, using fischl was a really bad idea, and my next best dps was like, xiangling with mismatched +8 artifacts

doing that domain in co-op was the actual worst

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tartaglia isn't very effective on floor 12, but he sure does make that awful domain easy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

when i hit 45 i literally did not have the damage to kill the first slime in the crimson witch/lavawalker domain because it was immune to my klee, using fischl was a really bad idea, and my next best dps was like, xiangling with mismatched +8 artifacts

doing that domain in co-op was the actual worst

That domain is why I ended up leveling Ningguang since until then my only carries were Razor and Klee. Turns out her playstyle is one of my favorites!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Zhongli's attack is actually about equal with Xiangling's if you properly hop-cancel out of his spinny spear kick, and he probably ends up doing slightly better physical DPS overall because you never do his combo-ending thrust, which means he doesn't end up pushing enemies away and then have to waste time running after them.

(Guess who has a physical DPS Zhongli. No, it's still not great. But I'd say he's slightly better than physical DPS Xiangling, which is what I was using before switching the Crescent Pike to Zhongli.)

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 7, 2020

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Turns out that if you knock a target upward and then hit them with Zhong's E they'll go launching into the air and take some fall damage. Not enough to make it a technique worth perfecting, but it was a good laugh seeing a hilichurl mage pop into the air like a pinball and then bellyflop to his death.

Also his first stab can be used to chase down any of the meat animals to stab them. No more having to slow down to shoot them, just sprint forward and poke.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 7, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Commoners posted:

Turns out that if you knock a target upward and then hit them with Zhong's E they'll go launching into the air and take some fall damage. Not enough to make it a technique worth perfecting, but it was a good laugh seeing a hilichurl mage pop into the air like a pinball and then bellyflop to his death.

Xinyan can on rare occasion do something like this too. If her burst hits at the right angle she'll just launch some poor bastard right across the battlefield like he's a baseball on a home run. Invariably this seems to be a fatal hit. Seeing some hilichurl do it's best low altitude team rocket impersonation for the first time had me choking on my drink.

As a bonus, her E can potentially screw over cyro abyss mages that are on water. Since it seems to be fairly circular in how it hits it can potentially melt the ice and eat up the remaining ice reaction on the mage once the shield goes down this ends the fight without having to burn down the HP of the cyro mage. Which means an instakill on the cyro abyss mage since it can't swim.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Commoners posted:

Also his first stab can be used to chase down any of the meat animals to stab them. No more having to slow down to shoot them, just sprint forward and poke.

Yeah although I usually just hold E to kill animals unless they're directly in my path.

His hold E is just luxurious for exploration stuff. Mines ores, kills animals, I once blew up one of those secret chest rock piles with it by accident. Really nice range on that thing.