Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

almods use significantly less water than cows, and depending on how they're grown can use even less.

https://www.businessinsider.com/real-villain-in-the-california-drought-isnt-almonds--its-red-meat-2015-4

tl;dr: kill all cows and make delicious beef jerky, then mandatory bimboveganism for all

I mean cows are definitely ultra-inefficient but that article feels like a very Business Insider kinda article, in that the big international trade moneymaking thing (almonds) is holy and blameless because this other thing is worse. Like it completely ignores how almonds are grown in the absolute worst places which magnifies the problem a lot more than simple water consumption would indicate, or how almonds are almost entirely exported, and literally ends with "So stop with the almond shaming".

I absolutely refuse to stop almond-shaming :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Make the Tulare Basin a Lake Again

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

almods use significantly less water than cows, and depending on how they're grown can use even less.

https://www.businessinsider.com/real-villain-in-the-california-drought-isnt-almonds--its-red-meat-2015-4

tl;dr: kill all cows and make delicious beef jerky, then mandatory bimboveganism for all

It takes 960 gallons of water to make a gallon of almond milk.

It takes 4.5 gallons of water to make a gallon of cow milk.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Plastik posted:

It takes 960 gallons of water to make a gallon of almond milk.

It takes 4.5 gallons of water to make a gallon of cow milk.

congrats on your artifical cow milk that doesn't require the water to sustain and feed a cow i guess

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shame Boy posted:

I mean cows are definitely ultra-inefficient but that article feels like a very Business Insider kinda article, in that the big international trade moneymaking thing (almonds) is holy and blameless because this other thing is worse. Like it completely ignores how almonds are grown in the absolute worst places which magnifies the problem a lot more than simple water consumption would indicate, or how almonds are almost entirely exported, and literally ends with "So stop with the almond shaming".

I absolutely refuse to stop almond-shaming :colbert:

i mean forcing everyone to subsist on aquaphonic lettuce and closed-system insect/fish mjx for protein is probably a good idea but they're not gonna do it unless it's that or starve.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

Joe Rogan Bean Shoes

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

T-man posted:

Can't wait to make a killing on jerky futures

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

T-man posted:

congrats on your artifical cow milk that doesn't require the water to sustain and feed a cow i guess

The trick is to grow the cow from a magic bean. Also you could just drink magic bean milk, but magic beans are how to come by, so like why would you?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

T-man posted:

i mean forcing everyone to subsist on aquaphonic lettuce and closed-system insect/fish mjx for protein is probably a good idea but they're not gonna do it unless it's that or starve.

I’m not going to eat bugs OR fish.....:mad:

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

a fish is an ocean bird

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

Dairy cows are usually slaughtered and beef has an incredibly high water-to-weight ratio, so yeah, once the lion's share of the water has been accounted for by the beef you get 4.5 gallons of water per gallon of milk.

Less actually, that 4.5 gallons came from a University study that also accounted for bottling and all the processes involved in that.

The only way to change that number is to somehow argue that dairy cow meat is less water intensive than beef cow meat, at which point you're shuffling accountabilities around based on whether you like beef or milk more at the moment.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Salean posted:

a fish is an ocean bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2h72aXVP8o

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Unfortunately all the almonds being grown in the California desert aren't destined for local consumption they're to be shipped across the globe to China

It's what our textbook said but the teacher mentioned that's kinda on the way out and none of the exchange students who came to visit used it. Maybe it's a generational or regional thing though :shrug:

Handy was used more for the pre-smartphone devices, now they are mainly referred to as either "smartphones" as a loanword or aren't differentiated from telephones since who uses landlines anymore lol.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

T-man posted:

Good thing I stocked up on all this soy protein! Looking forward to bimbofication captain o7

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

dr_rat posted:

The trick is to grow the cow from a magic bean. Also you could just drink magic bean milk, but magic beans are how to come by, so like why would you?

What if you grow the cow from recyclable shoes?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got some oat milk

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
More like scrote milk

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i drink milk that comes from a local farm because I live somwhere that raising cattle doesn't destroy 11 ecosystems at once

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bismuth posted:

More like scrote milk

gottem

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1335729456481243138

lol quantum of solace is turning into a documentary

Yeah, we're all going to die.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cpt_Obvious posted:

But think of the profits

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bismuth posted:

More like scrote milk

shouldnt u be jacking off to some dumb gently caress cartoon or some poo poo u stupid bitch? fly away troll

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You're just being negative. Now all three legs are there for my Immortan Joe ETF: water, bullets, and guzzoline.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

necroid posted:

there's some interesting stuff out there, like cactus leather

or mushroom leather

Wow, this is the first I've heard of mushroom leather. That's cool as hell.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How's that old phrase go? When people hunger, they riot. When they thirst, they die.

Something like that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

wonder how long it's going to be until I can say Acadmium

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bismuth posted:

More like scrote milk

how does it feel to be the best crystal gem from steven universe?

Peanut President posted:

i drink milk that comes from a local farm because I live somwhere that raising cattle doesn't destroy 11 ecosystems at once

i'm pressing X and doubting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Plastik posted:

Dairy cows are usually slaughtered and beef has an incredibly high water-to-weight ratio, so yeah, once the lion's share of the water has been accounted for by the beef you get 4.5 gallons of water per gallon of milk.

Less actually, that 4.5 gallons came from a University study that also accounted for bottling and all the processes involved in that.

The only way to change that number is to somehow argue that dairy cow meat is less water intensive than beef cow meat, at which point you're shuffling accountabilities around based on whether you like beef or milk more at the moment.

“The water footprint for milk production is 140 liters of water in competition per kilogram of milk
consumed (144.2 gallons of water in competition per gallon of milk consumed)”

https://saiplatform.org/uploads/FSA_translations/Water_Footprinting_of_Livestock_Feb_4_2015.pdf

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gods_Butthole posted:

What if you grow the cow from recyclable shoes?

Look at this point you're just making extra work for your self. Unlike magic beans, recyclable shoe are plentiful and recyclable shoe milk is fine.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

“The water footprint for milk production is 140 liters of water in competition per kilogram of milk

https://saiplatform.org/uploads/FSA_translations/Water_Footprinting_of_Livestock_Feb_4_2015.pdf

Just skimming it looks like none of the studies there are subtracting out the amount of water that goes into making other cow things once the cow's done making milk, which is how that 4.5 gallons number was arrived at

e: Also one of those studies (that conveniently ignores rainfall) is saying that New Zealand somehow makes a kilogram of milk with 10ml of water, which sounds terrifying. Someone needs to stop those cows before they drown us all.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Dec 8, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB, pitching the idea that almond orchard operators can reclassify their holdings as stands of timber, of which almond production is a byproduct.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Google is cool and all but can you imagine actually reading the thing you posted before you posted it so you don't accidentally find yourself in a situation where you post a collection of articles that ignore the water cost of beef in favor of making the water cost of milk absurd, you know, like I said in text in the post you quoted?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Literally the first actual conclusion the paper draws is "you get wildly different numbers depending on how you look at the problem and we kinda need to standardize this poo poo"

quote:

How can a consumer benchmark all the various Water Footprint data for dairy and beef?
This Memo showcases numerous methodologies used to calculate the water footprint of dairy and beef, all producing different results. For example New Zealand dairy’s water footprint has at least 4 very different water footprints:

1. [article a] 1,600 L Consumptive Water Use (Litre per Kg of Energy Corrected Milk)
2. [article b] 0‐200 L H2O/kg Energy Corrected Milk (Blue Water Use)
3. [article c] 0.01 L H2Oe/kg fat‐protein‐corrected milk (Blue Water Use)
4. [article g] Total water footprint of 945 and 1084 L H2O/kg fat‐and‐protein‐corrected milk (using the water footprint network assessment for two different regions in NZ)

“Applying different water footprint methods not only complicates comparing results between products and countries, but it also complicates communication to stakeholders and identification of potential mitigation strategies.” These confusing results helps explain why this Memo’s review of press articles on water footprints of dairy and food (see section V. Press Articles Influencing Public Opinion & Public Policy) shows the press uses the simplified consolidated water footprint data published by the Water Footprint Network:

1. [article r] 1,040L of water to produce 1L of milk (National Geographic)
2. [article u] 1L soy milk required 77% less water than 1L of milk (Bloomberg)
3. [article v] 1,020L of water to produce 1L of milk (The Guardian)

The global beef and dairy industries should consider choosing one benchmark and methodology to show and promote its historical improvement in water efficiencies and future water efficiency gains, rather than allowing public opinion and ultimately public policy to be influenced by the overly simplistic (potentially misleading) water footprint calculations which do not distinguish between the use of renewable water sources for the production of dairy and beef.

So I think everyone's simultaneously wrong and right

necroid
May 14, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wow, this is the first I've heard of mushroom leather. That's cool as hell.

glad you've found it interesting! a lot of people out there are trying to remove animals from manufacturing processes, not just the food industry

it's always disheartening to read snarky comments about this kind of thing because compassion for human beings and compassion for animals aren't mutually exclusive

sometimes the people who dismiss this kind of thing without even informing themselves do so out of knee-jerk reactions, because they feel that their consumer routine is being threatened by the possibility of ditching dairy and meat (or, to use another example, not being able to buy another useless pair of cheap sneakers). the companies who sell these products at a huge markup are assholes and obviously don't help, but there are many smaller examples of companies that try to balance profits and accessibility

also lol @ the wildly misinformed opinions about the relative harmlessness of dairy and meat industries compared to all-vegetable agriculture : remove poultry, pigs and cows from the equation and you'll discover that a shitload of resources that went into inefficiently raising and feeding these animals are now free to be used to supply you and many many others with plenty of food, directly

I'll stop rambling now but if you're not dishonest with yourself and if you take the time to inform yourself you'll very probably see things differently from how you see them now (I know I did)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Poultry's not that bad resource-wise but pigs and cows are horrible crimes against nature, I think we all agree and already know this we're just arguing about specifics and almonds.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
imagine being a medieval peasant only allowed to eat meat once every month for the feast day of some obscure saint and being transported to the future and being told that in the future, nobody is allowed to eat meat

i mean yeah, meat is a luxury and excessive meat-eating is bad and unsustainable, but all I ask is that my life is strictly better than a medieval peasant's.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

imagine being a medieval peasant only allowed to eat meat once every month for the feast day of some obscure saint and being transported to the future and being told that in the future, nobody is allowed to eat meat

i mean yeah, meat is a luxury and excessive meat-eating is bad and unsustainable, but all I ask is that my life is strictly better than a medieval peasant's.

I think it's still kinda fancy to be able to eat all the meat you want and having that be such a non-thing that you can choose not to

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

Our non meat options are way better so unless you get cut down to barley based gruel you're always a step above your peasant predecessors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

maybe there are more important gauges of quality of life than how much meat you eat