Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I couldn't find the voltage offset stuff in my bios. I don't think Gigabyte have added it to x470 yet(X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI bios F60c). Either way I'm very pleased with the 5800x so far.

The only description this bios has is "Enhance CPU compatibility" and was released Oct 29th. I think they just updated the AGESA to allow the new cpus to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

redeyes posted:

I hear zero recs for Asrock for Ryzens. Huh.

I think the main reason more people don't recommend them is that you can usually find a slightly better board for the amount they're asking. I have an x570 Extreme 4 that I like and have had zero issues with but I only payed $180 for it and iirc it retailed for about $240 which was too much for it's feature set imo. Also, the BIOS isn't great but I wouldn't consider it a nightmare or whatever like the other poster.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

asrock is more famous for stuffing threadripper sockets in micro-atx boards and x299 sockets in mini itx boards

also their mini PC barebones

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Did somebody say ASRock?

https://www.techpowerup.com/275694/asrock-rack-unveils-m-2-slot-graphics-card

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I bought this Asrock motherboard because it is the only ITX board that supports 5000-series Ryzen and has 12v only power (to simply my backpack PC dc-dc conversion). The fact that it can take 128gb of laptop ram and has an X570 board with no active chipset fans was just icing on the cake:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08FBNPVNC/

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 8, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with the beta x570 MSI bios? Is it working ok? Specifically on the Unify

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ah, a fresh batch of LSD arrived at ASRock, I see.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I wish every manufacturer were as wild as ASRock are. They're the only mad scientists left.

E: for ASRock in general, ASRock Rack rule. Their server and workstation motherboards are wild and I'm definitely going to them for my next build.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

There are already caddies that will run an eGPU over an m.2 socket so in some ways this is less insane. I seriously thought about getting one just to tinker with running <extremely modern game> on a Dell optiplex micro. Then I realized I own an extremely powerful gaming computer & mostly play Factorio.

poo poo, if the cowards at Dell would just give us a TB3 slot...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

This could make sense for a home server so you don't have to get an iGPU processor. like I can make it make sense in my mind, if I try real hard.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Can someone explain the application for that device to a dumb engineer with zero knowledge of networking/server stuff?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

denereal visease posted:

Can someone explain the application for that device to a dumb engineer with zero knowledge of networking/server stuff?

Well, server CPUs almost always don't have integrated graphics, no point. In real servers it's provided by the baseboard management controller, a tiny computer that is used to manage and control the main big server.

In weird penny pinching home setups you may not have a nice BMC with management because it's expensive, so now instead of buying a full size full cost and power GPU you buy that thing?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This could make sense for a home server so you don't have to get an iGPU processor. like I can make it make sense in my mind, if I try real hard.

thats exactly what i imagine its for or some sort of embedded system at scale where just a few units need this option is what i'm guessing and there is cost savings to not including it in every unit?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

these have always existed for some other brands

they will be nice for “quasi-headless” boxes though, they will let you turn any normal gaming board with a non-APU processor into a NAS where all the PCIe slots can be dedicated to Other Stuff like disk controllers, networking, NVMe cards, etc. With Zen3 and this, you will be able to build some sicknasty routers or fileservers.

Hopefully the price is more in the $50-100 range and not multiple hundreds though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

denereal visease posted:

Server CPUs don't have integrated GPUs, and you generally don't want to, or can't fit, even a basic rear end GT 710 or whatever just to be able to give it a display, but something like this will allow you plug in a monitor and drive an OS with a minimum of hassle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hopefully the price is more in the $50-100 range and not multiple hundreds though.

I kind of assumed it had to be cheap if it's intended for home use because if it costs more than a hundred bucks don't you just slap an el cheapo GPU in to a PCI-E slot? You can buy a new fanless 5450 or GT 710 for under fifty bucks, and you can probably spare a single PCI-E slot on your home server rather than pay a hundred dollar premium.

Enterprise would be different, for sure. It looks like Innodisk has one already but I couldn't find pricing anywhere. I suspect it's pricey.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

eGPU over m.2 owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrmHVL6zgGs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ha that thing is fun

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I kind of assumed it had to be cheap if it's intended for home use because if it costs more than a hundred bucks don't you just slap an el cheapo GPU in to a PCI-E slot? You can buy a new fanless 5450 or GT 710 for under fifty bucks, and you can probably spare a single PCI-E slot on your home server rather than pay a hundred dollar premium.

Enterprise would be different, for sure. It looks like Innodisk has one already but I couldn't find pricing anywhere. I suspect it's pricey.

this is Asrock Rack not Asrock. It's enterprise targeted.

Yeah the existing ones are expensive and despite being a fairly low-capability device you're paying a premium for the limited production runs. If you need it you need it.

Sure you can use a slot with a 710, or come up with some jank M.2 to PCIe riser setup that accomplishes the same thing as this, but this is a turnkey product that doesn't waste space or cause problems.

Like I said I hope it's more in the $50-100 range because it's Asrock Rack and not a specialty provider but I wouldn't be surprised at $200-300 or whatever either. The people who really need this will pay a modest premium for it.

to really blow your mind, you can actually do this with ExpressCard as well. There was some company that sold through ebay and alibaba and the like that did a thing that used laptop 19v power bricks and had a 3D printed "cell" style case and an ExpressCard adapter for that glorious 1.1x1 eGPU link. I kinda just wanted to get one for the hell of it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 8, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pricing will definitely reveal whether it's targeted at the home server market or just at enteprise.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pricing will definitely reveal whether it's targeted at the home server market or just at enteprise.

The home server market has got to be so small that it’s not even worth it’s own line item, unfortunately.

I think that “low end VPS hosts” is a decently large market that also demands rock bottom prices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

to really blow your mind, you can actually do this with ExpressCard as well. There was some company that sold through ebay and alibaba and the like that did a thing that used laptop 19v power bricks and had a 3D printed "cell" style case and an ExpressCard adapter for that glorious 1.1x1 eGPU link. I kinda just wanted to get one for the hell of it.

I have one, it does actually work but its like PCIe 4x

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I really wish there was some new standard for PCI4 x16 over some mini cable, that both motherboards and GPUs could come with standard. Like "yeah you can dunk the GPU into the PCI slot, or if you're doing a SFF build, just plug this thin cable from the GPU to the motherboard and lay the GPU flat without having to screw with risers.

Like my ASRock Rack Ryzen mobo has two ports for OCulink but what the heck is that? No one seems to make anything for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
MXM is the closest you are going to get a full PCI slot on a laptop, and its getting popular with servers.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

Like my ASRock Rack Ryzen mobo has two ports for OCulink but what the heck is that? No one seems to make anything for it.

It's sorta like Thunderbolt, in that it's a way to shove PCIe lanes over a connector without using full riser cable setups. Doesn't seem to have gotten any traction outside of niche server applications (mostly splitting off to more M.2 slots for more NVMe drives), though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Asrock just released their x470 Ryzen 3 bios. That's cool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/k8x2ya/bios_release_ryzen_5000_support_on_x470

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

thats not so bad, in a horribly butchered technical way you basically turn whatever card you get into its "max-q" equivalent. Would be a shame to run a 3080 this way or something but it's decent enough.

we looked at eGPUs at work to bring expensive 3D stuff to each patient room but wound up going with a mobile all-in-one unit for bedside then separate workstations to manipulate the images.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CommieGIR posted:

it's pretty funny that in the future basically everything is PCI Express and mostly just works as long as you have some little PCB that handles physically mating the connectors. You can glue together like 20 years' worth of devices on the same exact standard with basically no logical-level conversion.

Expresscard? PCIe.

M.2? PCIe.

Oculink? PCIe.

CFExpress? PCIe.

XQD? PCIe.

Wendell was remarking on this in one of his recent videos about a DIY solution to XQD cards being a loving ripoff. "Everything is just PCIe now."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyjaHANuIo

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

A week ago my Micro Center had the 3900X in stock and $70 off ($430). Yesterday morning they were just plain out of stock. Today they're in stock again, but no longer on sale. In fact, MC has priced them above MSRP, at $530.

I guess people are super-horny for Ryzens. (I'm not throwing stones; I was horny for Ryzens and bought a 3900X at $550 at MC last year, a couple weeks after release)

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Man these are tempting... I gotta wait for DDR5 tho. I'm doing big calculations on the old x220 Sandy laptop but the thing just runs so hot and it stutters in CAD. "It's just as fast as when I bought it" is still true tho, for a work laptop... But my calculations are memory-bandwidth limited... I will absolutely upgrade in late 2022. <2 years from InfFabric2.0 and DDR5's free boost.

Seems like a choice of getting the best-ever DDR4 platform the fabs will ever make, or the worst DDR5.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Why not just dump like $150 or less into a nice used small form factor computer & remote into it in that case? It doesn't sound like anything you do is latency dependent (as in on your end) and you can push all of the CPU poo poo to the machine in the corner while you post

We basically set up our $3k fancy PCs at work and went with a logmein competitor so people have full access to them on shitboxes and it works pretty well - even easier for you as the only user, just minimize the RDP.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mofabio posted:

Man these are tempting... I gotta wait for DDR5 tho. I'm doing big calculations on the old x220 Sandy laptop but the thing just runs so hot and it stutters in CAD. "It's just as fast as when I bought it" is still true tho, for a work laptop... But my calculations are memory-bandwidth limited... I will absolutely upgrade in late 2022. <2 years from InfFabric2.0 and DDR5's free boost.

Seems like a choice of getting the best-ever DDR4 platform the fabs will ever make, or the worst DDR5.

DDR5 will be overpriced for 1-2 gens, and overclocked DDR4 may just out preform anything that you can get your hands on without breaking the bank. I think you are underestimating just how fast DDR3600 is, and if you can get it to run at it DDR38000.

You will save more time in this year upgrading to DDR4 than you will save in 5 years upgrading DDR4 to DDR5. Yes I'm sayin you have 5x the gains on the table now than you will between this upgrade and DDR5 gen1.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mdxi posted:

A week ago my Micro Center had the 3900X in stock and $70 off ($430). Yesterday morning they were just plain out of stock. Today they're in stock again, but no longer on sale. In fact, MC has priced them above MSRP, at $530.

I guess people are super-horny for Ryzens. (I'm not throwing stones; I was horny for Ryzens and bought a 3900X at $550 at MC last year, a couple weeks after release)

I'm jizzen' for Ryzen!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The #2 most popular CPU on Amazon right now is a $180 Ryzen 5 2600, at one point that was selling for $80 in the form of the 1600AF :lol:

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 I'm supposed to pick up on Friday from Best Buy, snagged it at the amazing price of MSRP ($199) - if anyone has been trying to get one (they sell out instantaneously), I'd be happy to get and ship (or if you live in San Diego/SoCal, do an in-person hand-off) for exactly what I paid for it (MSRP+tax) plus the shipping to you. Otherwise will just cancel the pick-up - managed to snag a 5600x. As someone who has been trying to put a build together for the last month, 3600's are only slightly easier to get for 5600x's, that is to say it's all a bit ridiculous.

And I guess I'd be kicking myself for not actually getting a 3600 for $160 on Amazon months ago, but wasn't ready to build, and getting a 5600x feels like a win at this point.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

pixaal posted:

DDR5 will be overpriced for 1-2 gens, and overclocked DDR4 may just out preform anything that you can get your hands on without breaking the bank.
The latter isn't true. DDR5 is going to come out swinging when it comes to performance. The former is unclear because DDR5 is going to be more expensive than DDR4 even after a few years. But yeah, first year or two maybe it will be priced higher than later on.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Khorne posted:

The latter isn't true. DDR5 is going to come out swinging when it comes to performance. The former is unclear because DDR5 is going to be more expensive than DDR4 even after a few years. But yeah, first year or two maybe it will be priced higher than later on.

Everything is priced higher right out of the gate. DDR5 will likely be breathtakingly expensive compared to DDR4 based on it being brand new and on the move to push VRM onto the RAM stick instead of the motherboard.

There will also be considerable performance overlap for a while. The bottom of DDR5 is "only" 3200MT/s, while current DDR4 can easily exceed that, with budget sticks hitting 3600+ and "good" ones pushing 4000+MT/s. DDR5's official specs go up to 6400MT/s, compared to ultra-top-end overclocked DDR4 at around 5000MT/s, but pricing might mean that you can get comparable speed DDR4 for less than DDR5. Time will tell on that one. Obviously over time DDR5's unofficial/overclocked max will considerably eclipse DDR4, but that'll take a year or two to come out as the tech will need to mature a bit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DrDork posted:

Everything is priced higher right out of the gate. DDR5 will likely be breathtakingly expensive compared to DDR4 based on it being brand new and on the move to push VRM onto the RAM stick instead of the motherboard.

There will also be considerable performance overlap for a while. The bottom of DDR5 is "only" 3200MT/s, while current DDR4 can easily exceed that, with budget sticks hitting 3600+ and "good" ones pushing 4000+MT/s. DDR5's official specs go up to 6400MT/s, compared to ultra-top-end overclocked DDR4 at around 5000MT/s, but pricing might mean that you can get comparable speed DDR4 for less than DDR5. Time will tell on that one. Obviously over time DDR5's unofficial/overclocked max will considerably eclipse DDR4, but that'll take a year or two to come out as the tech will need to mature a bit.

Yep definitely. I don't know how many people remember but DDR4 was stupidly hyped up as the coming of christ and was one giant wet (expensive) flop over DDR3 for the longest time. And hell you know what? It is still is in some ways. And even now, high end DDR4 3800+ is really expensive, especially if you need 32 GB (and really 16GB just seems like a poor idea these days). I expect early DDR5 to just be stupidly expensive and not much better and probably a minimum of $400+ for 32GB and probably relatively meh at that. Second gen DDR5 stuff will probably be quite good but I would probably pass on Zen4 if you've already got a Zen3 or planning on getting a Zen3. Zen 3->5 seems like a very solid upgrade step though.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 9, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's stuff like that made me plan to refresh my CPU at the end of AM4 (and probably upgrade the RAM) to carry over the generational hump. I figure my 3600X paired with 3200mhz RAM will be good for a while, and by the end of AM4 there will likely be a meaningful upgrade to pursue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only on 2667 MHz DDR4 so I imagine even the initial releases of DDR5 is going to be faster than that