Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Isn't it just Denuvo? Which the internet always complains about impacting performance but actually has little impact when it gets removed from games?

VM packers like Denuvo do decimate the performance of whatever code they transform, but devs are supposed to mark performance-insensitive sections of code for it to mangle so the hot path isn't affected

It's possible that CDPR neglected that process for a quick and dirty press-only build and let Denuvo mangle random sections of code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Ragingsheep posted:

Isn't it just Denuvo? Which the internet always complains about impacting performance but actually has little impact when it gets removed from games?

Dont mean to pick on you but its frustrating how people are like "CDPR IS LYING CONSPIRACY" but then repeat basically Denuvo PR's marketing line.

It is impossible to do any kind of encryption or DRM without an impact of some kind, and on a hastily slapped together review copy for a game that won't have DRM it could definitely have the 10-15% impact I think we're maybe talking about - especially on the minimums & frametimes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is realtime DRM a thing still?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Verviticus posted:

lol thats a very convenient excuse

Shipon posted:

Odds on this being real and not just CDPR lying to reviewers to cover their rear end?

Gamers Nexus isn't a game company shill, they're arguably the most credible hardware review site there is now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
GN isn't saying this in response to the general jankiness of the review copy of the game, just to make it clear that pre-release benchmarks are practically useless because of Denuvo being an unknown variable.

Also, I think Steve is getting minor surgery before CP2077 comes out, so I don't know to which extent GN can release benchmarks for the game to offer some solid methodology to counter the less rigorous tests out there.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Quick question on the EVGA Queue: If I got a notice for the XC3 Ultra 3070, but I really want one of the 3080 cards, so does buying the 3070 invalidate me getting the links for a 3080 card later?

I can't find a straight answer easily. I was thinking of buying the 3070 for a friend and then waiting on the 3080, but if doing so takes me out of the running for a 3080, I won't.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Gamers Nexus isn't a game company shill, they're arguably the most credible hardware review site there is now.

I don't think Steve's lying about this, I'm saying that CDPR is lying (or could be lying) to him about it. The fact that he is open about this proves his credibility but he is also working off what they're saying so hopefully he's saying this based on his own judgement as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Samadhi posted:

Quick question on the EVGA Queue: If I got a notice for the XC3 Ultra 3070, but I really want one of the 3080 cards, so does buying the 3070 invalidate me getting the links for a 3080 card later?

I can't find a straight answer easily. I was thinking of buying the 3070 for a friend and then waiting on the 3080, but if doing so takes me out of the running for a 3080, I won't.

When they first started the queue they said that each card is its own thing. You can only buy one of each model you've signed up for, but buying one doesn't invalidate any of the others.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shipon posted:

I don't think Steve's lying about this, I'm saying that CDPR is lying (or could be lying) to him about it. The fact that he is open about this proves his credibility but he is also working off what they're saying so hopefully he's saying this based on his own judgement as well.

There's no lie there, though? The current builds have DRM. The release build will not. Even properly implemented DRM has a non-zero negative impact on performance, so whatever we're seeing today won't be 100% accurate.

The question is how big an impact it makes, but unless CDPR gave them an actual figure for that (which it doesn't sound like they did), no one really knows if it's a 2% or a 20% difference.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Samadhi posted:

Yes you can. If possible, I'd suggest you wait till January to try to step up just in case the rumors of the 3080ti end up being true.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If with a patch, drivers update, and no DRM, I can play at 1440p60 maxed out on my 3080+8700k I’m happy. It took years of upgrades to play Witcher 3 that well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Animal posted:

If with a patch, drivers update, and no DRM, I can play at 1440p60 maxed out on my 3080+8700k I’m happy. It took years of upgrades to play Witcher 3 that well.

If you have an issue, I predict it’s your CPU, and if you really mean maxed including RT then you might dip below 60 now and then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bus hustler posted:

the real winner? AMD

that's what I was thinking, but I can imagine things looking differently after a few months of optimization patches

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

That's not a bug! Dude had, uh, Boots of Minor Levitation! No problems here!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have seen several video clips now of enemies telegraphing their strikes well in advance and then performing the whole multi-second attack animation while the player backs up and shoots them over and over, repeatedly

very good

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

When can I run this garbage on my wireless Quest?

as is tradition, EA are launching a respawn title at the same time as a much bigger title that will suck all of the oxygen out of the room

they decided the best day to release would be the day after cyberpunk comes out

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm actually not fussed by any of the technical/gfx issues with CP2077 so far - they look minor by open world jank standards.
i'm more concerned about the first person perspective - combat looks pretty dull across shooting/melee.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'm sure the clips we are seeing of CP2077 are from installations from discs that were pressed at least weeks ago. ...Right?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

gary oldmans diary posted:

I'm sure the clips we are seeing of CP2077 are from installations from discs that were pressed at least weeks ago. ...Right?

there's going to be a sizable day 1 patch already

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Could be, or could be from the reviewer copy that got sent out ~2 weeks ago. Either way, it's without the "day 0" patch, though presumably the PC reviewer copy would be at least a newer build than whatever ended up getting pressed to disk.

(also lol about the disks because with the ~45GB download patch + day 0 patch about the only thing usable off the disk is the opening splash screen)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the console leakers say there's already a 40GB day 0 patch that just came out, separate from the day 1 patch due on launch day.

from the PC Gamer impressions

quote:

We received a 50GB patch during our review period. CDPR referred to this patch as the Day 0 patch. When asked for clarification whether the patch will be what players were receiving at launch, a CDPR representative told us that the Day 0 patch is what people will be experiencing on launch day. It is the Day 1 patch, only different in name. More fixes will be rolled into the Day 0 (Day 1) patch, but we cannot specify exactly what.

lamo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that's pretty likely.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Scarecow posted:

He makes no mention of what the IF was or if he got it to be synced 1:1 so really that was a waste of time, how ever you go and watch this video from someone who took the time to run things at both stock 3600mhz C14 and then sync the IF and ram 1:1 and with the memory tuned to 3800CL14 and tight subtimings, its a massive difference in performance at 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrrWliqq7c

and anther thing to note so far this is the only guy I can find on Youtube that actually knows what he is talking about when doing benchs and actually has the 10900k OC on the ring bus as well as the core on top of having nice fast memory too

the only thing about that video is its in 4k but even at a resolution that you would think CPU stops playing a big role in FPS, your still seeing increases to 0.1% 1% and avg frame rates that are well beyond "meh" levels

yeah there's a lot of little nuances to it. I don't trust a lot of testing to get synchronous higher Infinity Fabric right. Tightening up DRAM helps a whole lot on Zen2/3. A quirk that would be interesting to see as well is Zen2 (and especially 3) seems to prefer using four ranks (either 4x single rank or 2x dual rank) ram which would probably be even better on AMD and that was only 2xSR ram. Also really funny that 5600/5800x is better for gaming than 5900/5950 but GN also found that as well.

It would also be interesting to see if that gets even better using 56/5800x using new PBO +200-250mhz offset with Curve Optimizer while undervolting the cores to various levels.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have bought a GPU for everyone I know and I would like to open up my services to any interested parties. I'll f5 and monitor all the discords for you until I buy the GPU you want.
Same price no matter the gpu. $100 for me, you pay paypal transactions fees and shipping to you. Any of the goons who have used my services are free to vouch. To date I gotten 3 3080s to goons and 4 to friends.

If its on newegg I can probably get it, not only 3080s but any ampere and also 6800s. No payment due until I have it in hand ready to ship.
US only

PM if interested.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 8, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

shrike82 posted:

I'm actually not fussed by any of the technical/gfx issues with CP2077 so far - they look minor by open world jank standards.
i'm more concerned about the first person perspective - combat looks pretty dull across shooting/melee.

Reviews I read seem to suggest shooting is actually pretty good, though enemies are bullet spongy until your stats and gear improve past level 1 RPG garbo, but melee is meh.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Fauxtool posted:

I have bought a GPU for everyone I know and I would like to open up my services to any interested parties. I'll f5 and monitor all the discords for you I until buy the GPU you want.
Same price no matter the gpu. $100 for me, you pay paypal transactions fees and shipping to you. Any of the goons who have used my services are free to vouch. To date I gotten 3 3080s to goons and 4 to friends.

If its on newegg I can probably get it, not only 3080s but any ampere and also 6800s. No payment due until I have it in hand ready to ship.
US only

PM if interested.

Sent you a PM.

If OP is able to snag me a 3080 I'll sell my recently acquired 3070 to a goon in need.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

While I'm not in need exactly, I'd be willing to buy your 3070 and then turn around and sell the 2070 super I got six months ago to another goon and start a hand-me-down chain.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

/turns off features designed to allow RT to perform acceptably

"why is my performance so bad!?"

The absence of a 3070 in these charts is also obnoxious.

Voxx posted:

cdpr loves to put in experimental or otherwise currently unattainable settings in their games. Witcher 2 had the notorious uber sampling setting that was a basic supersampling that just fucks over performance. Witcher 3 had hairworks and I think some other power hungry setting I can't recall.

There's a bit of this. This game's low might be another games' high. Wouldn't be surprised if the outgoing generation of consoles have to upscale 720p though.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 8, 2020

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Lister posted:

While I'm not in need exactly, I'd be willing to buy your 3070 and then turn around and sell the 2070 super I got six months ago to another goon and start a hand-me-down chain.

Sure, I'll give you first dibs.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

I have bought a GPU for everyone I know and I would like to open up my services to any interested parties. I'll f5 and monitor all the discords for you until I buy the GPU you want.

US only

PM if interested.

PM sent

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://dtf.ru/hard/279342-cyberpunk-2077-4k-skrinshoty-s-maksimalnymi-nastroykami-i-zametki-na-polyah-o-samoy-igre

enabling raytracing appears to break tube area lights

rt off

rt on

rt off

rt on

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There really are dildos everywhere, huh?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
That's how you know it's adult and mature.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

US only

PM if interested.

Please post a thread in SA Mart and have people buying from you post in it. You can link it in this thread if you want. Thank you.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Finally got a 3070 for a friend woo it actually went to Shipping at Newegg. :woop:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If that holds up then it looks like a weird case where RT looks significantly worse.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Its totally useless bothering to look at graphics of a game that is pre release and does not have the Day 1 patch or Game ready drivers applied to it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If that holds up then it looks like a weird case where RT looks significantly worse.

Metro Exodus actually kind of looked simultaneously worse with it on than off. there were times it did look good, better even, but also other times it looked a lot worse.

off vs on.

part of that is they did such a good job with static lighting dynamic stuff that it wasn't needed. i dont know how 2077's implementation was done, it might have been tacked on at the last second and they spent a lot of work setting up their static lighting in an hard-coded sort of way that doesn't play nicely when that's over-rode with ray trace lighting which would be a lot of work to fix or maybe the properties for neon lights weren't plugged into the raytracing code and looks like some of the reflectivity property of the surfaces is way too high which is an easy fix. or maybe it's a bug somewhere.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
In control the lighting is good, but it's the reflections that are really good looking

Apparently reflections are only enabled at the ultra level lol