Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Gringostar posted:

So last month someone broke into my car while my hiking backpack was sitting in it (gf and i have been steadily increasing our mileage and after our last hike I was so exhausted I was a lazy idiot and didn’t grab it) with my xt30 and 16-80. Luckily the rest of my lenses (9/2.8, 14/2.8, 35/1.4, 60/2.4) weren’t in the bag but seeing how I was only really using the 16-80 for a universal hiking lens while the primes were what I liked to shoot with more (I love the poo poo out of the 60/2.4) is there any reason for me not to pick up the xs10 with the insurance money to stabilize those primes, especially for macro shooting?

Basically the question is how useful would ibis be for macro shooting, especially since I have zero interest in getting the 80 macro with how ungodly heavy it is even if it’s stabilized.

IMO IS is semi useful for close ups and near macro, for 'true' macro ie near and beyond 1x etc it's not that useful stabilisation is generally achieved by flash. My main macro lenses and cameras are not stabilized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

IMO IS is semi useful for close ups and near macro, for 'true' macro ie near and beyond 1x etc it's not that useful stabilisation is generally achieved by flash. My main macro lenses and cameras are not stabilized.

Ehh, it depends. If by "true" you mean studio with tripods and light boxes and weird flash contraptions, probably not. If you're doing handheld field macro with natural light, it does help. I know the IBIS on my old Gx85 definitely helped with the 60mm Olympus macro. It lets you do stuff like hold a branch out of the way with one hand while you shoot, or get into definitely not proper camera handling positions trying to get a good angle on a bug.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

The only place for the X-E4 is for those that want the range-finder body style without the cost of the X-Pro line's hybrid viewfinder. There are a lot of X-Pro users who claim to never use the optical viewfinder so there is at least some market. However the XE-1,2,3 and always been further below X-Pro lien in too many other ways.

I kind of saw the X-Ex as on par with the X-Txx, if you put the X-Pro and X-Tx as equals on top of the range.

but the X-T3, T4, H1 and S10 have all come out since the last in the X-E line, so lord knows what a new one of those would even bring to the table.

the bigger question is if they see the S10 as on par with the X-Txx level or not. I think they've said it's an "alternative" but that's not adding much clarity.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Finger Prince posted:

Ehh, it depends. If by "true" you mean studio with tripods and light boxes and weird flash contraptions, probably not. If you're doing handheld field macro with natural light, it does help. I know the IBIS on my old Gx85 definitely helped with the 60mm Olympus macro. It lets you do stuff like hold a branch out of the way with one hand while you shoot, or get into definitely not proper camera handling positions trying to get a good angle on a bug.

I mean, the 60/2.4 isn't a "true macro" anyway since it's only 2:1 but field macro like you describe is how I've always used it in the past and would use it in the future.

Ultimately if I did get the xs10 I would plan on taking the 14&60 on hikes/ backpacking trips to keep the weight down and then add the 35 for travel. I'd also pick up either the 55-200 or 70-300 depending on whichever one is lighter for a telephoto option.

The alternative would be to pick up the xt3 with another 16-80 and have that be my backpacking setup which while not having ibis is still stabilized along with weather sealed.

Both options weigh virtually the same so for me it's basically between going stabilized primes I love without weather sealing or a weather sealed version of my old setup. The xt30 isn't really an option since you can't get the 16-80 as a kit with it and if I'm getting another tx30 might as well get the xs10 for $200 more.

Comedy option: wait for possibly the xe4 and go ultralight :v:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
One thing to note is the X-S10 has more traditional DSLR control setup (PASM dial) compared to most Fuji X cameras (dedicated shutter speed + dedicated ISO and/or exposure comp dials). Something to consider in case the later is something that drew you to the X-T30.

Another option for IBIS is a used X-H1, but that is a noticeably larger/heavier camera than most of the other options.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gringostar posted:

The alternative would be to pick up the xt3 with another 16-80 and have that be my backpacking setup which while not having ibis is still stabilized along with weather sealed.

wouldn't be that much bigger, either. that's probably where I'd lean, to be honest.

I just picked up the 55-200 over the weekend. Haven't taken it out for too much of a spin but I'm happy with it so far. Makes for a comically large beer can on the front of the X-T20 though.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Has anybody used the Fujifilm X-E3? I'm thinking about Christmas ideas - also, is anyone aware of good black friday deals?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'm looking for a small micro 4/3 lens I can run on my gimbal, something like a 13-35mm but am unsure of lower end cheap options. Probably willing to spend under $500. It's for a blackmagic pocket 4k. Autofocus isn't a big deal, but I'd prefer a zoom lens than something like the Meikes.

I'll mostly be shooting wide establishing shots and walkthroughs of buildings.

Any advice?

the_lion fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 28, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

real nap poo poo posted:

Has anybody used the Fujifilm X-E3? I'm thinking about Christmas ideas - also, is anyone aware of good black friday deals?

I don’t think the X-E3 is being made anymore, so it’s old stock only. I’d heard of deals before but not sure there’s any stock still out there for deals this year.

X-T20 or X-T30 are decent alternatives if you can’t find an X-E3.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the_lion posted:

I'm looking for a small micro 4/3 lens I can run on my gimbal, something like a 13-35mm but am unsure of lower end cheap options. Probably willing to spend under $500. It's for a blackmagic pocket. Autofocus isn't a big deal, but I'd prefer a zoom lens than something like the Meikes.

I'll mostly be shooting wide establishing shots and walkthroughs of buildings.

Any advice?

I don't think there's anything particularly small with that range. There are cheap primes that are small and good, but no zoom obv. There are cheap zoom lenses, but they're not small. (Mostly the kit lenses, they're usually not that wide but they are long)

Heck, I don't think there are any lenses that are both small and have that kind of zoom.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

maybe the Panasonic Lumix 14-42 power zoom? Seems about as compact as you're getting in that range, but only question is if 14mm in MFT terms is wide enough.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Panasonic make a tiny 12-32mm kit lens. I don't think the 12-35mm f2.8 would be too large for a gimbal. Olympus also makes a pretty lightweight 9-18mm if you don't mind the dark variable aperture.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If it’s an OG BMPCC then the sensor is even smaller than MFT so the wide end of the zoom will be narrower. I’d still recommend the lumix 12-32 pancake as the smallest possible zoom in that range, though.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

harperdc posted:

maybe the Panasonic Lumix 14-42 power zoom? Seems about as compact as you're getting in that range, but only question is if 14mm in MFT terms is wide enough.

Fools Infinite posted:

Panasonic make a tiny 12-32mm kit lens. I don't think the 12-35mm f2.8 would be too large for a gimbal. Olympus also makes a pretty lightweight 9-18mm if you don't mind the dark variable aperture.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If it’s an OG BMPCC then the sensor is even smaller than MFT so the wide end of the zoom will be narrower. I’d still recommend the lumix 12-32 pancake as the smallest possible zoom in that range, though.

It's for a Pocket 4k, I probably should have mentioned. I'll take a look at those lenses, thanks for the suggestions!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

harperdc posted:

I don’t think the X-E3 is being made anymore, so it’s old stock only. I’d heard of deals before but not sure there’s any stock still out there for deals this year.

X-T20 or X-T30 are decent alternatives if you can’t find an X-E3.

I owned one. It was a decent little camera, I just always wound up picking up a different body to shoot. They are considerably cheaper new now than they were when I bought mine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The X100F is on sale for $749 today which is a hell of a deal, IMO.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

qirex posted:

Man. I spent $650 to repair mine last year

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

qirex posted:

Good looking out, thanks! May get this over the X-E3

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I sold off the last of my nikon gear today and picked up a X-T4 and the 16-55 2.8 to replace it. The store had just sold the last 16-55 early and they couldn't sell the display. While waiting, I saw another copy of the lens tucked away on the bottom of the display case that was inexplicably there. They sold it 5% off on top of the 300 off sale so I'm feeling pretty good. I'm excited for all of the manual controls I can use to take terrible photos. Looking forward to picking up a 27mm in the future!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What nikon camera did you have before if you don't mind me asking?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

real nap poo poo posted:

I got my wife an X-E3 when they screwed up pricing on them and were selling for 350, it's not bad and was nice because she can just use my lenses on it, but the X100F is going to be a lot better. You'll like it.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I had a D500 that I mainly used for birding with the 150-600mm sigma sport.

Question: Is C1 still the go to for fuji raw editing? I haven't touched it before.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Fuji C1 is good for fuji editing, yes. The workflow is pretty different from lightroom though, so just be prepared for that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ant mouth posted:

I had a D500 that I mainly used for birding with the 150-600mm sigma sport.

Oh wow. That's still a great camera, especially for birding. What made you decide to update?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Rude!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Canon is selling the refurbed EOS RP for $688 :stare:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14652317-c...nalized%3Afalse

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jesus Christ. If that thing had IBIS I'd figure out a way to buy at that price.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh wow. That's still a great camera, especially for birding. What made you decide to update?

The sigma sport is huge and even with my walk around lens I found the package bigger than what I wanted to carry with me. It started staying home more and I wasn't using it as often. I started doing more video work as well. I have been eyeballing the fuji since the xt1 and after each new version came out, I'd say I was going to sell my nikon. Then I saw the xt4 and it checked a bunch of boxes. I can't say it fits in my hand as well and the EVF will take some getting use to, especially shooting both eyes open. But I'm willing to make those compromises because I'm more likely to have the camera on me and is a better single camera solution for photo and video.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Have had a weird glitch re-occur. Using the Fuji Camera Remote app, I imported an image to my iPhone. But the bottom 1/6th or so of the frame (for a horizontal shot) is all grey. It's happened once in the past with the same portion of the screen on a vertical image, but it was more like a film glitch that time. I checked last time and the JPEG came in properly when I downloaded it to my computer from the SD card, so it seems to be something with the app or connection?

Anybody else seen something like this?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

harperdc posted:

Have had a weird glitch re-occur. Using the Fuji Camera Remote app, I imported an image to my iPhone. But the bottom 1/6th or so of the frame (for a horizontal shot) is all grey. It's happened once in the past with the same portion of the screen on a vertical image, but it was more like a film glitch that time. I checked last time and the JPEG came in properly when I downloaded it to my computer from the SD card, so it seems to be something with the app or connection?

Anybody else seen something like this?

Are you shooting raw?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Fuji app is quite bad, I've never had consistent results with it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

Are you shooting raw?

That food is obviously cooked.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

First party camera apps are quite bad, I've never had consistent results with them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

Are you shooting raw?

JPEGs only. Forgot to mention - the issue before happened with a different lens, so the consistent components are the body, app, and phone.

it's so weird. my wife got an X-A7 earlier this year, and she has issues connecting to her phone with the app sometimes. I have fewer issues connecting the X-T20, but then once in a while this happens.

spankmeister posted:

:golfclap:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Lol perfect

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The Fuji app used to work fine for me and I wondered why everyone shat on it so often. Then I got an iPhone 11 after using an SE for a few years and now I’ve had the curse come down on me too. Now I know. Can’t ever tell why it will or won’t connect. It seems random.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah my iPhone 8 connected easily and my 11 Pro is a crap shoot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Leica made a slightly cheaper SL2 with a sensor that's half the resolution but faster and more sensitive and it gets better battery life. Only 5 grand!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

qirex posted:

Leica made a slightly cheaper SL2 with a sensor that's half the resolution but faster and more sensitive and it gets better battery life. Only 5 grand!

iTs An ivEsTmeNt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Make no mistake if I had gently caress you money I'd be rolling with akimbo special edition M10s [one monochrome] but until that happens I will have to stick to my poverty tier mass market cameras.