Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Both of these, and Cricket magazine. Hells yes.

I don't remember Cricket but I also got NatGeo World and Boys Life at different times

Plus EGM, Gamepro, and Nintendo Power!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

I don't remember Cricket but I also got NatGeo World and Boys Life at different times

Plus EGM, Gamepro, and Nintendo Fun Club News!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

Cricket was some kid's literary magazine with cute cartoons of bugs throughout. I'm gonna see about getting it for my kids.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The Bloop posted:

Gamepro :yeah:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I do have the final issue of Nintendo Fun Club News, that was my first issue. Then the first issue of Nintendo Power!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If your kids' magazine didn't feature Pif and Rahan, you just might be a bougie gently caress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

I do have the final issue of Nintendo Fun Club News, that was my first issue. Then the first issue of Nintendo Power!

Yep. Nearly exactly same, I think maybe I had the last two FCN issues.

1988 was a magical time

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I wonder if any family actually subscribed to Highlights

We got Highlights for a while.

Their tag line was “Fun with a Purpose” and was on the cover of every issue. My child-brain read it for a very long time as “Fun with a Porpoise” and every issue, I was disappointed by the fact that there weren’t any dolphins inside. Every issue taunted me with promises of sea mammal merriment, until I eventually realized I was an idiot.

Still want that dolphin issue, though.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Gaukler posted:

Their tag line was “Fun with a Purpose” and was on the cover of every issue. My child-brain read it for a very long time as “Fun with a Porpoise” and every issue, I was disappointed by the fact that there weren’t any dolphins inside. Every issue taunted me with promises of sea mammal merriment, until I eventually realized I was an idiot.

I want to say that they did use that tagline for an April Fools cover once, but I may have imagined that as a child.

If they didn't then they should have.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Goddamn it y'all reminded me of childhood magazines and now I'm trying to remember the puzzle one that had the castle maze on it

fake E: Puzzlemania, goddamn that poo poo ruled

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Brawnfire posted:

Cricket was some kid's literary magazine with cute cartoons of bugs throughout. I'm gonna see about getting it for my kids.

My Nana always got me a sub to Ranger Rick magazine.

It was filled with cute animals but also subversive ecological activism.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Data Graham posted:

I wonder if any family actually subscribed to Highlights

Mine did. Long enough for me to notice the repeats.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaukler posted:

:laffo:

I have a similar story

I did correctly read the word "purpose" but I misunderstood the sentence, and I thought that's what that issue was having fun with
and then the next issue had the same theme! and the next! lets get some variety here and have fun with something else!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GD_American posted:

Mine did. Long enough for me to notice the repeats.

Speaking of repeats isn't there only like 12 issues of ZooBooks?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Who What Now posted:

Holy gently caress I didn’t remember those till this post but I loved them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can buy fat balls in the pet aisle mate you're not special.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was inspired by a post in the GBS deviantart thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JXzZpns6Lk

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Yes

PLUS the elephant issue that everyone got for free

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

Yes

PLUS the elephant issue that everyone got for free

Still hear that drat TV commercial echoing in my skull "Plus the elephant issue, free!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Still hear that drat TV commercial echoing in my skull "Plus the elephant issue, free!"

Zoobooks!
Apply directly to the forehead!

Literal Tiger
Jun 13, 2014

Data Graham posted:

https://youtu.be/liXHVceGXfc

And the tiger poster!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

just a PSA that https://www.archive.org has a shitload of old magazines available in a variety of file formats

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Sagebrush posted:

a shepherd's crook is a much better symbol of christianity, yeah

but death cults are a thing. imagine if he'd been hanged. everyone walking around today with little nooses around their necks or sewn into the hem of their clothes

For me, I keep the Cross as a symbol instead of other stuff because the amazing thing about Jesus is that he is God, but he also let himself die in an incredible awful way just so that people can get to heaven despite being inherently broken.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Seems like theres way easier ways to do that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

username/post combo

Anyway seems like they should have just come out with some more animals, then zoobooks could have made more issues and not had to do repeats

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Dec 8, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Who What Now posted:

Seems like theres way easier ways to do that

Wow, got a real monday morning universe creator over here.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

*clicks "im in this picture and i dont like it"*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eonblue174 posted:

For me, I keep the Cross as a symbol instead of other stuff because the amazing thing about Jesus is that he is God, but he also let himself die in an incredible awful way just so that people can get to heaven despite being inherently broken.

God is a real hosed up dude to be like "ok nobody on earth gets into heaven until I send a chunk of Me down to be born as this guy who will get tortured and murdered horribly a while later, and then once he's dead you all can come chill with me as long as you agree that I totally did that so that you can get into heaven."

like, seems like a couple of steps in the middle were unnecessary?? who's making the decisions here again??

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Heheh imagine believing in sky daddy am I right? Y’all need to look into a scholar I like called Richard Dawkins

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Heheh imagine believing in sky daddy am I right? Y’all need to look into a scholar I like called Dick Dorkins

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just remembered Blockman, where the blocks were tiny articulated robots (the heads being the pegs).

They were called Robotech down here, which was slightly confusing cos you could also get "Robotech" toys based on the anime (which I think was mangled Macross).

I'm glad someone else remembers them and it wasn't a weird fevered false memory.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh for the days when Twitter was in Times New Roman

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

that weird symbol Constantine saw

TOUTOI NIKA

Sagebrush posted:

a shepherd's crook is a much better symbol of christianity, yeah

but death cults are a thing. imagine if he'd been hanged. everyone walking around today with little nooses around their necks or sewn into the hem of their clothes

The Romans did accuse Christians of being a cannibalistic death cult. One text I read said something like "if we threw their prophet off a cliff would these weirdos all be walking around with rock shards on necklaces?"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I just made these:

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Dec 8, 2020

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK where are the Tente and Capsela memes?

e: also,

Tente owned, so cool and futuristic when I was a kid

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gaukler posted:

loving lmao this may be the most wholesome thing I've read in ages

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches