Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jesus Necron that takes me back. As a sci-fi guy that wasn't into fantasy I wanted that one to work so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Jesus Necron that takes me back. As a sci-fi guy that wasn't into fantasy I wanted that one to work so bad.

It was a total shitshow for awhile(during the original run, from the original company). Their CC service for America didn't work for a good year or two, so if you didn't already have an account, you couldn't even make one.

Now that it is free, and not in the hands of the original company at all, it's actually being given love.

For the time it came out, it was drastically ahead of it's time. Full player housing in the cities. Ground and air vehicles. A fully realized hacknet. Drugs that do real things to you, including withdrawal. Strippers! Just a gritty as gently caress place.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Kazvall posted:

I need some dicks to play http://www.neocron-game.com/ with me. It's free and essentially community run. I don't wanna put a big spiel here, but it's an early 2000s cyberpunk mmo, way ahead of it's time. Like if shadowrun and deus ex had a baby and neuromancer was the godfather. If anyone wants to waste their lives, I will with em.

I'd be down to at least try this. You have any form of organizing planned?

EDIT: Or not, completed the tutorial and now every time I try to log in it CTD's.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 12, 2020

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Jossar posted:

I'd be down to at least try this. You have any form of organizing planned?

EDIT: Or not, completed the tutorial and now every time I try to log in it CTD's.

Well that's troublesome. You could check out the discord if you do want to put in that sort of effort. I don't blame you if you don't.

Also, no, I don't have much organizing planned. If more than 1 or 2 people decide to come play, I'd be willing to invest more into that aspect.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I'll have a little look see at Neocron. I think I remember it a little bit.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I remember back in the day, EVERY MMO was a serious shitshow when they launched, making everything coming out today look tame in comparison. Anarchy Online anyone?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If people are talking about their favorite dead/on life support mmos, I miss Tera.

It was a lot of fun but there were a few things that didn't quite click right so it slowly bled off population.

I've heard the EU and Korean versions are still chugging along with a stable, if not huge, player base.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chopstix posted:

I remember back in the day, EVERY MMO was a serious shitshow when they launched, making everything coming out today look tame in comparison. Anarchy Online anyone?

gently caress you anarchy online is the best mmo ever made grrrrr

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Acerbatus posted:

If people are talking about their favorite dead/on life support mmos, I miss Tera.

It was a lot of fun but there were a few things that didn't quite click right so it slowly bled off population.

I've heard the EU and Korean versions are still chugging along with a stable, if not huge, player base.

Tera's been doing better on console than PC lately, I think.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have a soft spot for Aion. It was so pretty.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Whybird posted:

Check out Wadjet Eye, they've been publishing since like 2005 and the writer was definitely finding his feet with the first few, but Unavowed, Technobabylon and Primordium are really smashing it out of the park.

thanks i'll check these out when i have some time

eonwe posted:

mortal online was perhaps the best MMO experience ive ever had and i met lots of long time friends from it

I own MO2 and its fun to run around in but there isnot al ot to do yet

I remember on launch everyone spawned at the bottom of a lake so deep that you would drown by the time you could get up for air, causing your naked body to ragdoll and your dick to flop around in the lake, and eventually there would be so many ragdolls that the server would crash and then be brought up to do it all over again

the lake is still known as Sausage Lake

they keep sending me mails about MO2 but i just don't have the time to commit to a big pvp mmo

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

kirbysuperstar posted:

Tera's been doing better on console than PC lately, I think.

The console version runs at uncapped 1080p with no vsync even on the enhanced consoles so it's ugly as sin on a 4k TV and screen tears all the time. But I suppose console players don't really mind stuff like that.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

please knock Mom! posted:

gently caress you anarchy online is the best mmo ever made grrrrr

Yeah but the launch, the launch!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chopstix posted:

Yeah but the launch, the launch!

I bought AO at launch, I played the beta test too! :stare:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Neutron posted:

The console version runs at uncapped 1080p with no vsync even on the enhanced consoles so it's ugly as sin on a 4k TV and screen tears all the time. But I suppose console players don't really mind stuff like that.

Tear issues aren't an issue for the majority of people who play video games, console or not, I've found.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hey, some guy posted a Neocron newbie tips video that he made and it has everything in it that I didn't have the motivation to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KiuAojvVA8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I thought Neocron was an FPS.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It is. You can press alt+e to enter 3rd person mode.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I think Anarchy Online would have been a lot bigger if Dark Age of Camelot hadn't come out shortly after.

And if we're waxing nostalgia, DAoC gets my vote for best MMO.

Some time later, the same thing happened with City of Heroes/Villains and World of Warcraft if memory serves correctly.

Anarchy Online and COH/V were two marvelous games that were shadowed by tough competition.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Anarchy online is still up and will outlive WoW

knox
Oct 28, 2004

With all the money streamers make, the amount of MMO fans out there who are desperate for a new MMO, the community itself should just try building one. With the backing from such streamers & sponsors with transparency from the jump, to create a PvP game people want. All the potential games in the pipeline for next couple years even, all look like dogshit.

knox fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 3, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

knox posted:

With all the money streamers make, the amount of MMO fans out there who are desperate for a new MMO, the community itself should just try building one. With the backing from such streamers & sponsors with transparency from the jump, to create a PvP game people want. All the potential games in the pipeline for next couple years even, all look like dogshit.

I'm trying to imagine what a "pro streamer mmo" would be and it would basically have to be something that churns out content at an unprecedented rate that can appear novel for a long period of time while being very receptive to one button kill macros. Raids are ~15 people but give gear to everyone. Basically a very flash, very customizable, extremely easy mmo.

Which isn't the worst idea, although that path forward couldn't work because streamers are by and large broke because it actually doesn't pay that well unless you are so large that you would have no reason to invest because the opportunities come to you.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Not calling any streamer "pro," just moreso referring to the amount of exposure/money/marketing they would generate for a project. Also as like a centralized point of reference for MMO community at large; LazyPeon generates population bumps from videos he creates/generating hype for games. That's more what I'm talking about.

knox fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 3, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think there's a real possibility of a break through of a simple and intuitive virtual world style mmo similar to runescape classic but different enough to draw in its own audience if it has a heavy social slant that streamers can lean on to entertain audiences.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CYBEReris posted:

I think there's a real possibility of a break through of a simple and intuitive virtual world style mmo similar to runescape classic but different enough to draw in its own audience if it has a heavy social slant that streamers can lean on to entertain audiences.

Debatably this is what VR chat is, just without any conflict or RPG elements.

But yeah, I can't imagine that something that is essentially VR Second Life can be more than a decade away.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
VR Chat is the closest I've found to the MMO I want in a long time, which is a little sad but it can be so immersive

knox
Oct 28, 2004

My childhood VR chat...guess it could've been my first MMORPG too.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

knox posted:

My childhood VR chat...guess it could've been my first MMORPG too.

drat, this loving takes me back.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Debatably this is what VR chat is, just without any conflict or RPG elements.

But yeah, I can't imagine that something that is essentially VR Second Life can be more than a decade away.

yeah vrchat is a little clunky but it borrows a lot of creative power from unity and the worlds people can make are really impressive

knox
Oct 28, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

drat, this loving takes me back.

Jasc Paint Shop Pro.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

CYBEReris posted:

yeah vrchat is a little clunky but it borrows a lot of creative power from unity and the worlds people can make are really impressive

Ah so it's all unity? That makes sense

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Is anyone playing ragnarok online on a server that isn't complete rear end these days?

private servers seem to demand an adherence to kRO and enchants/refinement have gotten absolutely stupid. I don't want to go with a 2-1/2-2 limit server but nobody wants to add QoL to a renewal server for fear of upsetting the crowd that wants kRO but inexplicably does not play it

I was going to play Tree of Savior but right when I was about to install it, they apparently removed most of the ability to solo from the game and made levelling trash

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Doctor Goat posted:

I was going to play Tree of Savior but right when I was about to install it, they apparently removed most of the ability to solo from the game and made levelling trash

where on earth did you get this idea from? unless something changed in the past month, leveling to cap is the easiest and fastest it has EVER been.

you can even run the dungeons solo now instead of waiting on parties and the game will give you enormous buffs to get through it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Tsurupettan posted:

where on earth did you get this idea from? unless something changed in the past month, leveling to cap is the easiest and fastest it has EVER been.

you can even run the dungeons solo now instead of waiting on parties and the game will give you enormous buffs to get through it.

It was like two years ago during their version of Renewal. I'll look into the game again

knox
Oct 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daNjh5UXG7g

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
What the heck is SpaceRift: Arcanum System?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1148480/SPACERIFT_Arcanum_System/

Looks like JumpGate?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

SabinBlitz posted:

Looks like JumpGate?

looks interesting but damned if I can't find a single ounce of information about it or the studio

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I found a few Russian news articles about how they had like most promising game of 2019 but then nothing since then other than their intent to release. The little information I could find makes it sound like a modern JumpGate but then again it’s Russians so.... 🤷‍♂️

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SabinBlitz posted:

Looks like JumpGate?

I guess we'll know more on December 17 when it launches. It looks interesting, but the graphics are really rough and that doesn't leave a good first impression. This genre is difficult to sell people on because Eve-Online has this type of MMO locked down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Are the graphics really that rough? I mean, I realize what the game has aren't pushing the envelop but they seem to at least be passable.

Its kind of odd that a western MMO would just appear like this. Im used to MMOs spending years being hyped to the point where everyone is tired of hearing about them by the time they release. Have the folks at Arcanum done anything previously?