Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kitan posted:

Holy crap it's back? Time to recreate my dumb Spines/Regen scrapper and gross myself out throwing spiky bones at people!

Ditch Regen and go Willpower or Bio Armor (with optional no FX).

It sucks that Regen is kinda trash now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah esp since regen still has such fun tools like IH and the fast CD 7 second T9

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Huszsersvn posted:

A friend commissioned an art piece with our characters together. That's my character, Hu'Szsersvn, with Clear View, and Citizen Thirteen with the dual pistols.

I'm on the Everlasting server, where all the roleplayers congregate.

That's cool, you're cool.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Kitan posted:

Holy crap it's back? Time to recreate my dumb Spines/Regen scrapper and gross myself out throwing spiky bones at people!

I will never get tired of these posts. :circlefap:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

yeah definitely take a look at how weird and gross bio armor looks. you can turn most of the lumpy stuff off, but you sound like you won't want to

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I know anime is blood but I hate that there aren't any good magical girl options.

I want to make a bubbly sprite like from the 80s gimmick mangas but can't really make it happen.

Did make a passable Vegeta and Supreme Kai, though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well, after 74 hours of playing the character (I checked with one of the NPCs), The Hateful Oppressive Republican, Strike Breaker, was generic'ed. :(

So now he's The Hateful Oppressive Grand Old Patrician, Strike Breaker (we'll see how long that lasts)

If it happens again I'll probably delete the character, I don't like Masterminds all that much and literally every MM I've played has been some kind of gimmick character

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Ayyy, the holiday season is upon us. And what a good time then for somewhat festively-themed heroics, rogue interruptions, towards busting a Nemesis plot. I have just released a four-mission Architect Entertainment arc for you all to check out.

It's called A Very Nemesis-y Christmas and has you bust in on the most unlikely of entry points to a Nemesis plot right before Christmas proper. Who'd have thought that you busting up a Family operation had you lead straight into the bowels of Nemesis' operations? Why, you did. Because you are clever enough and have agency to drive the plot around (as much as you have within the confines of the AE or any of the City of Heroes/Villains quest setups).
  • Be proactive! The entire setup for the AE missions is from your perspective, you sleuth, you investigator. Follow that Jaeger!

• Be challenged! The AE arc pits you through the level 30-40 bracket (barring the first mission, it makes use of Sharkhead Island enemies that just... won't scale up past 30 at all). That means no Incarnate power, and maybe not even your last few powers to really top your build off! From map 2 onward, maps make use of Elite Bosses for pacing reinforcements. Patrols wander a lot of the areas too, so stay on your toes!
  • Be vigilant! Only one mission is set around a 'get all the glowies.' In any and all other cases, clicking on interactable objects gets you some background information and maybe allowing you to piece together just what is happening behind the scenes.
  • Be entertained! Plenty of assorted dialogue for the foes you meet, some more eager to meet you than the others!

• Be swept away! Including custom enemies, custom bosses, and all meant to be integrated with their respective factions. And most of which with custom descriptions!

• Be careful! Seriously, even with a tricked out Tanker working much like a Brute, the solo x8/+4 difficulty will have you do floor inspection eat poo poo sooner rather than later.
  • Be together! Find a crew, and tackle this arc together with your (newly minted) friends! Best to share the introduction, acceptance, in-progress and mission completion dialogues with them in between!
Happy holidays!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Dinictus posted:

[*]Be challenged! The AE arc pits you through the level 30-40 bracket (barring the first mission, it makes use of Sharkhead Island enemies that just... won't scale up past 30 at all).

Yeah, this is a limitation of how they set up mobs and level ranges, it's dumb. It's why you don't see Hellions past level 15, for example.

In the spirit of Goon Christmas everywhere, I'll take a look at it this afternoon when I log in (Arc ID: 35416, for those wanting to play at home!). Goon arcs are frequently really good and/or really goofy, they're great.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Alright, that was a pleasant arc! There are ambushes in the 3rd mission (when you defeat the mobs around the crates) that don't have a spawn-in text which were a surprise, but otherwise I was just cruising along on my blaster.

The souvenir was :discourse:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
What's a good pairing for War Mace

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Crasical posted:

I liked ice with it in live back in the day, since dudes were slowed and constantly knocked down so I could use the aoe on 'em. Also energy absorption made up for the end drain.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Crasical posted:

Have you heard the good word of Bio Armor?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Shield is solid and thematically appropriate, plus you get shield charge. Bane Spider might be a fun niche if you already have melee guys but want to try mace and have it still be unique, plus then you can do an alt build for Crab Spider.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Nonexistence posted:

Shield is solid and thematically appropriate, plus you get shield charge. Bane Spider might be a fun niche if you already have melee guys but want to try mace and have it still be unique, plus then you can do an alt build for Crab Spider.

Shield's not quite the correct thematic this time, I'm gonna be a Pretty Cure. I've already got a bane spider and I love him to death so this would be someone new (though the fact that banes get to fire beams out of their maces is super tempting for a magical girl build.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Have you heard the good word of Bio Armor?

Bio's good but to prevent myself from just EXPLODING into a zillion alts I've got a rule that I don't double up on powersets without a good reason, I already have a bio-armor stalker. And Bio would be weird for a magical girl

Coolness Averted posted:

I liked ice with it in live back in the day, since dudes were slowed and constantly knocked down so I could use the aoe on 'em. Also energy absorption made up for the end drain.

Ice could be good, if I changed the costume up from pink to blue.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Crasical posted:

Or you could make the ice pink!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

My second pick then is probably Energy Aura. You get to live the meme and be strong and pretty!

You get more defense than you need, it can cope with WM being a bit end heavy, you get lots of extra recharge and a taunt aura. Only problem is if you're trying to roll a tanker. :v:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I don't know anything about the theme you're going for, but dark armor pairs really well with mace. You can pretty much skip Cloak of Fear or only use it if you need the extra protection, and rely on the stuns from the primary along with Oppressive Gloom.

I've not been able to make that pairing work without taking the physical mastery epic, for a couple more places to put the Performance Shifter proc, and Focused Accuracy in case of tohit debuffs. You really need Dark Regeneration to hit. With Tough and Weave too there's not much freedom to take other powers, but I find it fun regardless, and by taking the physical epic I went from always worried about end to never ever running out.

Mace is such fun that I have both mace/da and mace/shield brutes at 50.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Crasical posted:

With Minimal FX and color customization you can make the armor powers minimally obtrusive. Experiment with making either the primary or secondary color a very dark/neutral color while making the other color your desired colors. One of the purplish/blue colors might play well off the pink costume.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

stone armor with the crystal skins

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LordSaturn posted:

stone armor with the crystal skins

Recommending Stone Armor to people is mean.

My default for this sort of thing is Willpower...but I'm gonna guess you already have at least one of those. :v: Purely in terms of FX and not set effectiveness, Invuln (sparkly) and Regen (glowy) could work. Otherwise my second choice would be Energy Aura. And then coming in third would be any one of the other elemental sets customized just so.

Another trick worth trying is either going No/Minimal FX on whatever set you feel like and instead replacing its overall look with a combat aura. Or combining specific toggle effects with specific auras.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

My default for this sort of thing is Willpower...but I'm gonna guess you already have at least one of those. :v:

I've got Bio, Elec, Fire, Ice, Ninjutsu, Super Reflexes, and Willpower.

So it could be Dark, Energy, Invuln, Radiation, Regen, Shield, or Stone.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Crasical posted:

I've got Bio, Elec, Fire, Ice, Ninjutsu, Super Reflexes, and Willpower.

So it could be Dark, Energy, Invuln, Radiation, Regen, Shield, or Stone.
I've got a Mace/Rad Armor scrapper that's pretty fun. Nice resists, a good self heal that also give endurance, and a PBAoE blast that could work for your Anime Magic Spell stuff.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I was originally going to suggest invuln for the sparkles, but rad armor is probably mechanically better? it includes some kind of energy return power, doesn't it?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Rad Armor has Particle Shielding which gives you a 50% endurance discount (plus absorb shield and regen). You can't enhance the endurance part, but it lasts 60s and has a base recharge of 120s, so it's easy to get perma.

Also Rad Armor can be coloured to look really sparkly, you may need to fine tune the colour once all your toggles are running.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Rad armor is really fuckin good.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

rad armor is one of the all-around toughest sets and gives you some strong AOE (if procced out) and great end management. the SFX on it might be good for your theme. it is one of my standard go-tos for armors these days.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I, too, have a rule against doubling up on powersets, I want to try out each thing at least once. Of course, after so many years I'm running out of things to try. Would an Ice/Spines tank be too weird or cumbersome?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
That's a fine and fun combo with the triple offensive auras, but be aware energy absorption and to a lesser extent hoarfrost are going to be mucking up your animation economy, and spines generally wants to never stop attacking with all of its long animation AoEs

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I am glad I'm not alone with the whole no repeating powersets thing, but even by the time of shutdown I had made so many characters I was running out of new stuff to try.

Also the other inevitable problem is that sets aren't added equally so it's really hard to not end up with, say, more than one Willpower scrapper because they would add new offense sets faster than new armor sets.

Nowadays it's more of a soft rule. I've had a rash of making up character concepts first and then scrambling to figure out what powersets fit them later.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Things are still chugging along over at CoT, I'm still hanging out if anyone has questions.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Warcabbit posted:

Things are still chugging along over at CoT, I'm still hanging out if anyone has questions.

I'm just glad you are still working on it. I hope to see my two backer accounts put to good use when you finish :)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I want to start up doing a melee focused mostly human PB again but I cannot find any good recent guides about them. The one I am using is this: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/6824-youre-a-g-d-pb-guide/

Anyone else got experience with this kind of build? I had one wayyyyyy back in the day but I have no memory of what I built it like.

Also, Water/Atomic blasters are awesome. I did not hit max level yet (or even fully kit him out) but I am loving it.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
That guide looks perfectly fine

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Nonexistence posted:

That guide looks perfectly fine

Awesome! I always liked PB's as a class, glad to have a guide to help me wade through the abilities.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Warcabbit posted:

Can you provide any updates?

Not to be pessimistic but a team that small working on something so huge ends up in my "Not gonna think about it until a release date is announced" pocket.

Are you on it full-time or is it still a hobby endeavor?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
What kind of updates do you want? We've been doing KS updates every couple weeks - check out our website at https://www.cityoftitans.com to see 'em.
Videos are a little rarer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXfXVmtDLbQ

Got game settings in just before Christmas.

Going to be a new update pretty soon which should have some cool stuff to show off.

As far as being on it full time, yeah, still pulling 60 hour weeks, not getting paid, but hey, I don't need to sleep much.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
To be clear: The character creator, which also serves as our testbed for every possible non-networked bit of code, has been available for about a year.

It's not done, no, but it _is_ at least a statement that we've deployed the following:

A website that has the data from the kickstarter embedded, that allows the creation of new accounts, and allows people to download the game and assorted other items if they're entitled to it. Working on improving it for individual purchases/KS add ons.

A installer for the game

A MMO patcher for the game.

A character creator with some added 'run around a chunk of the world' bits. (the current player-side game)

The game will save and load characters.

Pretty soon it should have some more functions. I don't want to pre-promise till we get it in and running.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

to be clear, none of this is available without giving you money, yet, right? you have to have been on the kickstarter or paid into the Second Chance thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Warcabbit posted:

To be clear: The character creator, which also serves as our testbed for every possible non-networked bit of code, has been available for about a year.

It's not done, no, but it _is_ at least a statement that we've deployed the following:

A website that has the data from the kickstarter embedded, that allows the creation of new accounts, and allows people to download the game and assorted other items if they're entitled to it. Working on improving it for individual purchases/KS add ons.

A installer for the game

A MMO patcher for the game.

A character creator with some added 'run around a chunk of the world' bits. (the current player-side game)

The game will save and load characters.

Pretty soon it should have some more functions. I don't want to pre-promise till we get it in and running.

Wait wait wait...

Your game will save *AND* load characters?