Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
pickapeppa is great. the baseline sauce is not hot but if you can get a bottle of this variant it might surprise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That makes more sense. The only Pickapeppa sauce I’ve seen is just savory. Good with jerk and in a lot of other places, but I’d still add Walkerswood scotch bonnet based sauce to go with it. I also liked their hot jerk marinade. It’s pretty good for being a store bought marinade. It’s thick and rubs on and sticks really well even over a hot fire.

My local grocery is currently getting rid of all the non-mass market hot sauces, so most everything else is on clearance. It’ll be nothing but Tabasco and Cholula in a few weeks I’m sure. Nothing notable so far. The best thing there was is Kill Sauce habanero which tastes similar to crystal but a little hotter. It’s not bad, but it’s barely hot. They also no longer carry Secret Aardvark which is disappointing. They put the Herdez chipotle taco sauce on clearance, but that’s about as close as it gets (not at all).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
So I always thought the bottles were corny when I walked by them but I'm really feeling this Tattoo Scotch Bonnet Curry. It's pretty hot and has a nicely balanced curry-spice flavor, juuuuuust enough vinegar-tang and a richness that must come from the milk listed on the ingredients. It's got me curious to check out their other sauces I've seen at the store. Pictured here with some actual Scotch Bonnets from the garden.

uber_stoat posted:

pickapeppa is great. the baseline sauce is not hot but if you can get a bottle of this variant it might surprise you.

Does this have any ties to original Pickapeppa flavor-wise or is it just a hot sauce from the same company?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Human Tornada posted:

Does this have any ties to original Pickapeppa flavor-wise or is it just a hot sauce from the same company?

i wouldn't describe it as an exact match flavorwise but it's not just a straight "peppers and vinegar" sauce. it has raisins and mangos in it like regular pickapeppa.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Years ago I had a surgical thing where I had to drink a gallon of REMOVE ALL POOPS liquid before going to the doctor. It was pineapple flavored. It did not upset my stomach or make me puke. I did poop forever after drinking it though, and now any "pineapple flavor" foods taste unpleasant to me.

GoLytely is terrible and I can commiserate with you on the surgical thing - I had some surgery as a kid where they 'flavoured' some part of the anesthesia, the gas I guess? It was at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto so they do children's medicine really well and I suspect this was meant to be relaxing.

Anyway I can't tolerate artificial watermelon flavouring now, makes me vomit.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I was born deaf in one ear and had a ton of surgeries to fix it. I do not remember the surgeries but I cannot to this day eat a banana or chew old school bubble gum.

So many antibiotics. Yuck. Weird how sharply things imprint on your brain as a kid.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mischief posted:

I was born deaf in one ear and had a ton of surgeries to fix it. I do not remember the surgeries but I cannot to this day eat a banana or chew old school bubble gum.

So many antibiotics. Yuck. Weird how sharply things imprint on your brain as a kid.

hello my fellow overly medicated child. banana flavor, grape flavor, bubblegum flavor. that for me is the unholy trinity of artificial flavors.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've got a final batch of late harvest peppers and I want to try something new and make pepper powder with them. Already made hot sauce and pepper jam with earlier harvests.
I've found a ton of idiot-proof directions for dehydrating them in an oven since I don't have a dehydrator, but I also wonder if stringing them and hanging them up to dry in the sun for a few weeks would yield a better flavor. Anyone got experience with that?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

frogge posted:

I've got a final batch of late harvest peppers and I want to try something new and make pepper powder with them. Already made hot sauce and pepper jam with earlier harvests.
I've found a ton of idiot-proof directions for dehydrating them in an oven since I don't have a dehydrator, but I also wonder if stringing them and hanging them up to dry in the sun for a few weeks would yield a better flavor. Anyone got experience with that?

Some peppers are built for drying in ristra. It’s not terribly difficult to learn the knot for it. Just leave in a warm sunny place for a couple weeks. You’ll be able to feel when they’re dry pretty easily. They’ll be pliable but not squishy. If you dry them in your oven with heat on you’re likely to ruin any seeds if you wanted to save any.

I have small taco baskets made from corn husk that also do a good job drying peppers in the sun. I like to put the smaller Thai ones in there to dry out in a warm place with airflow. I just shake them around every couple days to keep them from sitting in a place too long. Laying them out is easy, but a single layer is important for circulation.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Awesome. Thanks for the info/advice! I hadn't even thought about saving seeds but now I think that's what I'll do.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So now I have this:

It's the reserved pulp from a few habanero/jalapeno/ghost pepper ferments along with the puree from the previously-mentioned ginger/coriander/lemongrass sauce. It's v fun to put on things and sneeze a lot while making. Thinking of running it through a sieve to get those seeds out but I probably won't.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

scuz posted:

So now I have this:

It's the reserved pulp from a few habanero/jalapeno/ghost pepper ferments along with the puree from the previously-mentioned ginger/coriander/lemongrass sauce. It's v fun to put on things and sneeze a lot while making. Thinking of running it through a sieve to get those seeds out but I probably won't.

very niiiiice. i kind of prefer keeping the seeds in myself, like in the cayenne pepper flakes you put on pizza.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Definitely leave the seeds in. They’re great texture and heat.

I have some left from last year when I ground up all the ripe and just a little over ripe Korean Dark Green pods that I had my mom grow a few plants of too. They ended up too hot for her (and my family too), but I love putting it in everything. I made a batch of kimchi with the stuff and it’s stellar. I’m sad to think the pint jar is almost gone after being full. It still makes me sneeze if I scoop out the powder wrong or shake it at all.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

So I always thought the bottles were corny when I walked by them but I'm really feeling this Tattoo Scotch Bonnet Curry. It's pretty hot and has a nicely balanced curry-spice flavor, juuuuuust enough vinegar-tang and a richness that must come from the milk listed on the ingredients. It's got me curious to check out their other sauces I've seen at the store. Pictured here with some actual Scotch Bonnets from the garden.

I like their togarashi sauce but I thought the Kashmiri coconut was utterly heinous.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

scuz posted:

So now I have this:

Usually, when you juice/filter/strain something, the pulp is... not great. And you have to strain (hah) yourself to find some use so it doesn't go into the trash. With peppers/hot sauce, the pulp is full of the same flavors and heat. I find they work really well in big batch dishes. A potent teaspoon that is enough to season a big ol' pot of whatever.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I hope it doesn't happen to you, but for some reason my tastes and heat preferences with hot sauce has drastically changed within the past few months. (It's not corona) A lot of hot sauces I used to enjoy I can't really tolerate anymore. These are barely hot sauces, but I still really like Humble House Ancho & Morita and Sauce Bae Skinny Habanero.

Any recommendations I should look for with those two sauces in mind?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bij posted:

I'm pretty fond of that stuff but yeah, it isn't hot at all.

I grabbed some Tattoo Creamy Togarashi. It's got a bit of a bite to it but it's not particularly hot. It is essentially the sauce you'd get on a spicy tuna roll, which is just fine with me.

II need this

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
My general rule of thumb is "anything with an advertising budget isn't going to be good" but I love hot sauce, I love truffles, so is the Truff stuff that FB is constantly bombarding me with any good?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our habanero and ghost pepper plants are getting razed to death by aphids and I'm v sad/mad about it.

VinylonUnderground posted:

My general rule of thumb is "anything with an advertising budget isn't going to be good" but I love hot sauce, I love truffles, so is the Truff stuff that FB is constantly bombarding me with any good?

I was gifted the black bottle of Truff and, lemme tell ya, a little of that stuff goes a long way. I'm not a huge truffle fan, but it's basically sriracha infused with truffles, maybe a smidgen hotter.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

VinylonUnderground posted:

Conversely, I had (I think) the red bottle of truff and it was absolute rear end. Chemical distillate flavor, nothing genuine about it at all, a hint of truffle on top of a whole bunch of obviously artificial capsacin.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Memnaelar posted:

Conversely, I had (I think) the red bottle of truff and it was absolute rear end. Chemical distillate flavor, nothing genuine about it at all, a hint of truffle on top of a whole bunch of obviously artificial capsacin.

Ugh, I have an unopened bottle of it from when I impulse bought it on sale, but didn't have much hope for it anyways...

Also, is anyone here familiar with Porki? If so, any good alternatives? They used to carry it at the local grocery store but stopped a while ago. I've been looking for a similar alternative ever since. I thought they went out of business, but apparently they have some for sale online at delimexico.com.... so I might end up caving into buying some there...

Kalit fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 22, 2020

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
My GiRlFrIeNd got me a bottle of Da'Bomb cuz I'm an insane person. I tried half a teaspoon of it and was dying, but I was honestly expecting LESS flavor from it based on the hot ones interviews.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scuz posted:

My GiRlFrIeNd got me a bottle of Da'Bomb cuz I'm an insane person. I tried half a teaspoon of it and was dying, but I was honestly expecting LESS flavor from it based on the hot ones interviews.

Regular Da Bomb or the custom one from last month’s hot ones box? That one apparently doesn’t have extract in it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

scuz posted:

We've a bottle and I always found it flavorful, just bad flavor.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Regular Da Bomb or the custom one from last month’s hot ones box? That one apparently doesn’t have extract in it.
This one arrived in its own box and has extract in it, which is probably why it smells like chemicals and not so much "food."

Carillon posted:

We've a bottle and I always found it flavorful, just bad flavor.
Yeah, it doesn't taste great. Plan is to hide it in other foods, like the chili I had for lunch! It'll be fun to dare friends to try it, too.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Last Dab XXX, on the other hand, is delicious. Gone through half a bottle in the last 5 days, super tasty stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

scuz posted:

The Last Dab XXX, on the other hand, is delicious. Gone through half a bottle in the last 5 days, super tasty stuff.

It’s so good. Really hot but also really tasty. I still haven’t cracked the Apollo version.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Apollo version is similar to the XXX I think, maybe a little longer lingering heat.

I've got a bottle of the whole pepper Da Bomb but we haven't tried it yet.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I find it takes me about 6-8 months to go through a bottle of Last Dab, which is just full of flavor for being a super hot. It would go faster if anyone else would eat it, but habenero level heat is where everyone else taps out.

I had a single scotch bonnet ripen on a basement chile plant that I’m in the mood for a good scotch bonnet or jerk sauce too. Anyone have one they really like?

Also have a half dozen Bhut Jolokia that are starting to ripen that will get a sauce of their own. I’m looking forward to this one a lot.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Queen Majesty - Scotch Bonnet & Ginger is outstanding. $10 on Heatonist.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Every Queen Majesty sauce is really good but the scotch bonnet is a standout.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

Every Queen Majesty sauce is really good but the scotch bonnet is a standout.

The ones I’ve had before were good. I didn’t remember they had one. I won’t be satisfied with only one option for it right now. I need the taste of summer and this will not do it alone.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jhet posted:

The ones I’ve had before were good. I didn’t remember they had one. I won’t be satisfied with only one option for it right now. I need the taste of summer and this will not do it alone.

look into Matouk's sauces.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have discovered an insanely dangerous sauce:

It's delicious and hits like a loving truuuuuuuuuuuck

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Their Zombie Apocalypse and Headless Horseradish are both very good as well. Very different but good. Reaper Evil is supposed to be a handful but it's never in stock anywhere.

Rooting through my sauce fridge I think Heartbeat and Heartbreaking Dawn's are my most consistent favorites. Queen Majesty, maybe Hellfire Detroit. Puckerbutt.

My hot sauce buddy is in chemo right now so my backlog is piling up - I've got 9-10 new sauces that Heatonist sent me that we haven't tried yet. I think there's another three in the mail.

mischief fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 30, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah, I always have a bottle of Garlic Reaper and a bottle of Zombie Apocalypse on hand.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

iospace posted:

I have discovered an insanely dangerous sauce:

It's delicious and hits like a loving truuuuuuuuuuuck

i've been wanting to try it since i first saw it and finally ordered a bottle of it along with a bunch of other ones on heatonist i hadn't tried yet and i can't wait for them to get here monday.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Thanks for the recs this week on scotch bonnet sauces. I ended up picking up the Queen Majesty one because heatonist has a few other things I've been wanting to grab (and they had a mini-bottle of free Last Dab too). That Torchbearer Garlic Reaper, Karma Burn After Eating, and then another Scotch Bonnet sauce called Made from Scotch by Spice of Life made it into the list along with a bottle of Secret Aardvark because my lovely grocery store stopped carrying it because they're terrible.

uber_stoat posted:

look into Matouk's sauces.

I'm grabbed a bottle of this too. It looks like it'll be delicious.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 1, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got a bottle of Tattoo avocado Serrano, and I guess it was still fermenting in the bottle. Shook it well like it said on the label and when I took off the cap, a good two thirds of it spurted out all over my kitchen floor. Took like 20 seconds for it stop.

Anyway I still ate it and it was delicious. Not very hot but really good flavor and conducive to using a lot of it. Unfortunately I only started with a ⅓ of a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I had the same thing happen with a bottle of their scotch bonnet curry but I'm terrified of dying of amoebas or whatever and didn't try to eat much of it. I mean I did try some, but I was to worried to enjoy it.

Can someone recommend me a very hot but very flavorful Louisiana hot sauce that isn't from Tabasco? My roommate's favorite hot sauce is Mrs Renfro's ghost pepper salsa mixed with scorpion pepper Tabasco. He'd like to find something that hot that isn't terrible and I'm at a loss.