Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Blistex posted:

My wife is thoroughly confused and saddened by the narratives the CCP-owned/controlled media has been pushing these last few years. She thinks (a pet theory) that the CCP actually wants the rest of the world to hate China so that there is more pushback and the populace "circles the wagons". She thinks a defensive people are easier to control, sort of like North Korea. I still think it's just an unwillingness to understand the world they inhabit mixed with a lot of bully complex.

Isn't this what russia did semi recently? Like they gave no fucks about always being bad guys in movies because they wanted to instill an us vs them mentality in their populace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought they never gave a gently caress about being the cast as a villain like a normal country. They were usually portrayed as pretty evil badass threats. CCP shits their pants over the tiniest BS so that doesn't track.

As for Blistex's wife, both theories are correct. Thirdly it's to force censorship outside by terrorising companies/ngo/individuals. Those companies will let their employees protest whatever the hell they want except China. Can't say HK add oil or Taiwan or serve food to tsai ing-wen.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Russia embraces being cruel but effective bad boys, and the European alt right loves it.

What was that propaganda reel around the time of the Ukraine invasion? "Yes, we are the oppressor"?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

"Я окупант", I am an occupier, from memory.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I think it's clearly a stupid pun and not a racist joke but people are getting mad, there are memes being shared on Chinese social media with cops kneeling on George Floyd and the caption "what kind of knees are these?"
Yeah, responding to a puerile schoolyard rhyme with pictures of a black man getting murdered is pretty on-brand for wumaos.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Someone in GBS said recently that Russian masculinity is so toxic it has a measurable effect on average life expectancy. It's true, men just end up dead by getting killed doing something illegal, getting killed doing something stupid, or just plain killing themselves (usually by drinking). Unlike China, Russia really owns their bad boy credentials. The unnamed Han can only salivate.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
east asian peeps are like third after slav peeps and irish peeps but third is pretty fuckin nuts

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

Someone in GBS said recently that Russian masculinity is so toxic it has a measurable effect on average life expectancy. It's true, men just end up dead by getting killed doing something illegal, getting killed doing something stupid, or just plain killing themselves (usually by drinking). Unlike China, Russia really owns their bad boy credentials. The unnamed Han can only salivate.

A random anecdote from one of my ESL teacher colleagues: he had to keep correcting Russian males on "brutal" not being a positive personality trait in sorting exercises.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

barbecue at the folks posted:

Someone in GBS said recently that Russian masculinity is so toxic it has a measurable effect on average life expectancy. It's true, men just end up dead by getting killed doing something illegal, getting killed doing something stupid, or just plain killing themselves (usually by drinking).

i mean... this is true in the USA as well

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ArmZ posted:

i mean... this is true in the USA as well

*checking this user’s posts*

bets now open on when armz posts full on bootlicking horseshit, over/under is at 10 posts from this moment. Tie goes to under. Only armz’s posts count for the total. Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 8, 2020

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Coolguye posted:

*checking this user’s posts*

bets now open on when armz posts full on bootlicking horseshit, over/under is at 10 posts from this moment. Tie goes to under. Only armz’s posts count for the total. Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

lmao nice meltdown

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Both of you shut up or post something about China, thank you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Both of you shut up or post something about China, thank you

both refusing to concede and doubling down on this is pretty China

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My shipment of chinese food and seasoning arrived and I plan to gain weight stuffing myself on noodles and assorted parts of ducks.

Man I need to go back to china

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I read somewhere once that Tibetans don't contextualize their idea of masculinity in contrast with Tibetan femininity, but rather they contrast it with Han masculinity.

What little I know of Tibetan culture makes me believe that this is in fact real.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Han? Muslim Caliphates? Mongols? Well, the vultures must eat too.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dont Touch ME posted:

Han? Muslim Caliphates? Mongols? Well, the vultures must eat too.

The chinese invented cyclopses / greece

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Odysseus visited China which is why it took him so many years to get home

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hey, I just read all the last thread, but skipped to the end in this one. I wanted to ask if Caberham ever came back from his self-requested perma with a new account? I met him back in 2014, and was a bit too busy last year to catch up with him, just hope he's doing well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He's still laying low but is fine.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lol::lol::lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55227538

quote:

women's university football match in China had to be called off after players were told they were not allowed to have dyed hair, state media report.

The women's teams of Fuzhou and Jimei universities were due to meet for a college league game in the south-eastern Fujian province at the weekend.

Team members from both sides bought black hair dye to correct the problem.

But one Fuzhou player's hair was deemed "not black enough" and the side had to forfeit for having only six players.

Before the match, "multiple players… were rejected from the match for violating a rule which requires that all players do not dye or curl their hair", the national Global Times reports.

"Athletes are not allowed to dye their hair, grow long hair [for boys], wear weird hairstyles, or wear any accessories," states the rule of the Fujian Provincial Department of Education, quoted by the South China Morning Post (SCMP).

"Otherwise, they will be disqualified from the competition."

The rules from the organisers, the National Youth Campus Football League (University Division), go further: "Athletes at all stages shall not have tattoos, dye their hair, wear weird hairstyles, or wear any accessories, otherwise they will be ineligible for the competition."The decision sparked intense debate on social network Weibo, including users expressing anger and mockery, correspondents say.

There was talk about how red tape gets in the way of Chinese football players being able to perform well, and some talk about double standards, with one user saying, "Women footballers are not allowed to dye their hair, yet male footballers can be tattooed?"

China has been increasingly stepping up regulation since mid-2018 to stop tattoos and earrings being shown on screens.

THIS IS KICKING

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
There was a similar thing in Hong Kong recently. Male prisoners with long hair were forced to get haircuts and there was a lawsuit about it because women prisoners didn't have to cut their hair. The judge agreed that it was discriminatory. The solution? Make the women get haircuts too! :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cases also pop up in Japan semi regularly since many schools have rules against hair dye, and shockingly enough Japan is not actually a homogenous land of racial purity and some Japanese people have hair that isn't naturally jet black. :eyepop:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The cops wont let people have tattoos and earrings on tv now lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Can't tell if this is Anti-LGB, Anti-underclass or just some backbencher throwing a shitfit over getting rejected by a gyaru.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

hakimashou posted:

The cops wont let people have tattoos and earrings on tv now lol

I half remember a hissyfit thrown by Chinese authorities over the popularity of Taiwanese, (and/or K-Pop), pop stars with their earrings, tattoos, and pretty faces ruining a generation of men my making them girly, and ruining a generation of women because they now will not appreciate the true nong masculinity.

WarpedNaba posted:

Can't tell if this is Anti-LGB, Anti-underclass or just some backbencher throwing a shitfit over getting rejected by a gyaru.

I would argue it's bog standard conservatism. Or get-off-my-lawnism. Kids today are doing things differently, therefore they are wrong and dangerous, this girl with hairdye is destroying society! P.S. China 5,000 years old and strong.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the dipshit standards of masculinity are easier to spread than civil societys reaction to them. just gotta watch movies

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

:corsair: All those conservative rules were completely standard during my childhood and a substantial part of my adulthood. Any school or employer would have sent you home instantly for dying your hair an unnatural color. The first time I saw a bank teller with bright blue hair my mind was blown because I thought that would never be allowed at a conventional job.

There was also a heavy implication that only lowlifes get tattoos. Many places I worked specifically wouldn't hire people with visible tattoos. One earing for boys was allowed in most places but considered very edgy. Earrings on both ears were not allowed for boys. Men were not allowed to have hair beyond a certain length at some schools and companies and no one was allowed to have "weird" haircuts.

Grand Fromage posted:

Cases also pop up in Japan semi regularly since many schools have rules against hair dye, and shockingly enough Japan is not actually a homogenous land of racial purity and some Japanese people have hair that isn't naturally jet black. :eyepop:
Japan also has a much stronger tattoo taboo. A bunch of heavily tattooed guys from my MMA club took a trip to Japan and people acted like they were serial murderers or something. They got kicked out of some places.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Goddamn foreign chinpira with their crappy tatts!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My school is insane for this poo poo. We police hair length on boys, girls' hair being tied back at all times, number and type of earrings on girls, hair color, and fingernail length amongst other case by case things. Credit to the students for pushing the system where they can and seeing exactly what they can get away with. We waste a lot of time and resources trying to control this stuff and it's costing us students.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My school also does this, but because I'm in the richspecial department, alot of stuff slides. Boys aren't supposed to have long hair (there have been some who got away with it), can't dye hair. Last June on graduation day, we were invited to the outside-of-school dinner by the kids (where sometimes they get sloppy drunk) and this was just 3 hours later, one girl had had already dyed all of her hair lavender. When some kids come back at their winter breaks in December (which is going to happen tomorrow...even though many of them have been stuck in Taiwan this year) so many come back with rainbow stripes and nose rings.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah, after winter and summer holiday it's the worst. We tend to give students a week buffer before we start issuing citations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I was private school educated, (coz I am fancy as gently caress), as was my brother. And the first thing I did after graduating Y12 was get my ear pierced, and the first thing he did was dye his hair a horrible shade of yellow. I also had long hair in Uni, and was disproportionately proud, (well as much as my conservative parents were disproportionately ashamed), that I could get it in my mouth.

Also at one of my early jobs I wasn't allowed to have my (tiny sleeper) earring in whilst on shift. And said job also had a rule about sideburns not being allowed below the level of your earlobe. I once challenged this, (coz as well as being fancy as gently caress I am bolshie as poo poo), by slowly slowly growing my sideburns out a few millimeters at a time, and managed to get it almost to my jaw before they noticed. So I shaved them off completely the next day, coz sideburns are stupid.

This is all 15-20 years ago in retail.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1302986504898334721?s=20

Quite a haunting article by an anthropologist on the fundamental flaws and contradictions in America forever exposed by COVID-19. He concludes that the 21st century will be the Chinese century.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No, he concludes that if China does take over we would look back on the best years of the American century with fondness.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

McGavin posted:

No, he concludes that if China does take over we would look back on the best years of the American century with fondness.

No generation will ever have it as good as the boomers while they simultaneously destroyed it for everyone else.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
he concludes that the living will envy the dead

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

he concludes that the living will envy the dead

Presumably not for being dead though? They could do something about it if they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Loveshaft posted:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1302986504898334721?s=20

Quite a haunting article by an anthropologist on the fundamental flaws and contradictions in America forever exposed by COVID-19. He concludes that the 21st century will be the Chinese century.

"Only six percent of American homes had grandparents living beneath the same roof as grandchildren; elders were abandoned to retirement homes"

I have a bit of an issue with this. I can't find a cite offhand, but I remember reading something that this was due more to personal choice, that when you give older people money and resources they decide to not live with and be a 'burden' on the younger generations.

And I remember reading a paper in school that made the argument that this type of generational disconnect was developing in the urban areas of China too, that civic institutions to support elderly had to be developed because traditional modes of support were breaking down.