Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tons of them here (BC). Their AWD makes them the preferred choice for many people. (And I'm considered getting one to replace my aging Pathfinder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Please do. You can put the quote in the text if you want too

The deed is done. But like I said. Monkey paw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have no problem wearing an av that i earned by calling out sexism, but i appreciate not having to look at trump, so whatever it turns out to be will be fine :cheers:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Terrible to work on

I have to change the low beams on the wife's Outback, and apparently you get through them through the fender well. First car I've ever had to take a wheel off of to change a bulb.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

right arm posted:

lol I honestly thought they they stopped selling in the USA

lmao ya they butchered the eclipse name finally so bad, it's now a loving crossover, RIP to the DSM legend

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I remember looking at cars in 2007 and considering a Lancer Evolution, but there were always rumors about them going bankrupt and having quality issues so I skipped it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MomJeans420 posted:

I remember looking at cars in 2007 and considering a Lancer Evolution, but there were always rumors about them going bankrupt and having quality issues so I skipped it.

heh somewhat related I guess, I have a friend in socal with a 675 and an evo9, could have been you!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MomJeans420 posted:

In 2010 I was shopping for a car to replace my 240sx. There had been a hailstorm in Dallas and apparently a Mitsubishi dealership had a bunch of Evo Xs that looked like golfballs and were heavily discounted. In addition, they were doing a 5 year 0% APR loan. The dealership in Dallas apparently had what they called an "SE" or "LE" or something which was as far as I could tell, the MR model with the DSG, but some slightly different inteior-- leather instead of alcantara?

Anyway, I was living in Houston, so I didn't want to drive all the way up to Dallas just to test drive a car. I went to the Houston Mitsu dealership and asked to drive the GSR and MRs they had on the lot. The two GSRs they had both had dead batteries. They said no one was allowed to test drive the MR unless you had cash to buy it. They eventually jumpstarted one of the GSRs and let me drive it, but the dealership location was so bad about all I could do was take it up and down a feeder and a clover leaf. The GSR seemed fun enough, and without being able to even drive the DSG car I wasn't going to consider it.

I explained that I was cross shopping them with the Dallas dealership and tried to get a ride in the MR since the Dallas dealer had several MRs and SEs on the lot. The Houston salesman didn't even know the SE trim existed and still wouldn't budge.

I have no idea how to negotiate salaries for car sales, but the data I had from the Dallas dealer was that their list prices for the GSR, MR, and SE were all several thousand dollars lower than what the Houston dealer wanted. I showed them these numbers and said I wanted to buy a GSR and they still wouldn't budge.

I ultimately bought a 2009 Mazdaspeed3 GT (which I believe is the best trim it came in), $18k instead of the $30ish for a new Evo X, and it was probably a better all around car. But with that said, Mitsubishi really had no interest in selling either of the two GSRs that were decaying on their lot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s very strange that Mitsubishi’s entire history of automotive performance is based off one single engine, the 4g63 and it’s derivatives. Their dominance started in the 80’s with that motor and died in the 00’s with it

They stretched a single engine block to an age that GM would be envious of

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s very strange that Mitsubishi’s entire history of automotive performance is based off one single engine, the 4g63 and it’s derivatives. Their dominance started in the 80’s with that motor and died in the 00’s with it

They stretched a single engine block to an age that GM would be envious of

I feel like the 6G72 TT deserves an honorable mention at least!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Let's just agree that all cars are terrible because they have too many wheels, are far too heavy and slow and jam packed with useless bullshit garbage, all needlessly enclosed in a big steel bunker you can't see out of.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Except the Mercedes 6x6 which is the best car.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

Let's just agree that all cars are terrible because they have too many wheels, are far too heavy and slow and jam packed with useless bullshit garbage, all needlessly enclosed in a big steel bunker you can't see out of.

Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em, am I right fellas

mewse
May 2, 2006

FBS posted:

Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em, am I right fellas

Can't bury them in the back yard due to environmental concerns

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

mewse posted:

Can't bury them in the back yard due to environmental concerns

That’s why you just let them rot in your yard :discourse:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't care how trash Mitsubishi is; I still miss my tuned Evo X GSR. Drifting that thing in deep snow was insanely fun.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

In general yes, but I drove a mid 2000s Mazda MX5 SE turbo to and from the dentist today with the top down and the sun out and I certainly enjoyed it more than any recent dentist appointment travel I've had to do recently.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

In general yes, but I drove a mid 2000s Mazda MX5 SE turbo to and from the dentist today with the top down and the sun out and I certainly enjoyed it more than any recent dentist appointment travel I've had to do recently.

Yeah whatever, would've been better on a bike though. Which is also the argument against cars as a whole. The only thing they're better at it is being weather proof and carrying stuff aka boring poo poo. Which is what vans are for because they can carry bikes in a weatherproof box. So I guess vans are ok?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erhh, having just done a 2400km roadtrip, 80% of it on snow covered roads, I'd say cars have their place.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

Yeah whatever, would've been better on a bike though. Which is also the argument against cars as a whole. The only thing they're better at it is being weather proof and carrying stuff aka boring poo poo. Which is what vans are for because they can carry bikes in a weatherproof box. So I guess vans are ok?

I have been wanting a transit van for a few months now, covered bike transport and haul anything plus way cheaper than dumb pickups that get murica tax here on resale. Though I don't know that I would want to daily one and after having only a motorcycle for years I don't really want to ride in the rain or frequently commuting again whenever that happens.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 8, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheBacon posted:

I have been wanting a transit van for a few months now, covered bike transport and haul anything plus way cheaper than dump pickups that get murica tax here on resale. Though I don't know that I would want to daily one and after having only a motorcycle for years I don't really want to ride in the rain or frequently commuting again whenever that happens.

Transits are brilliant, they're the only van that has the comfort and road holding of car, and the multiple tie down points are super handy, especially when you bolt a wheel cradle through the flat floor and use canyon dancers. I definitely don't own one or drive it all day in total comfort.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m definitely trying to justify a transit van or whatever the Mercedes version is as a work expense and I’m thiiiiis close

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Mercedes Sprinter. It is apparently indestructible and will easily do half a million miles no problem according to movers and builders I know.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sprinters are great, but they sure can rust. If you drive them in areas where lots of road salt is used, expect 5 to 10 years before you gotta weld stuff.

Anyway, here's my bike!
It's a 1999 SV650s and i love it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish they’d rerelease an SV650s. The 650 looks fine and I’ve heard great things about it but that fairing is so pretty.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yeah, totally agree. That little bit of fairing makes it feel like 'more bike' and helps quite a bit on the highway.

I've ridden the newest sv650n a few years ago - my driving school just got one a few weeks before i had my tests, so for one lesson i could swap the old cb500f for the then-new sv650n. It's brilliantly chuckable, and feels a lot lighter than the 1999 model, even though it's not that much lighter.
But it feels narrow and small. Not the greatest of long distance highway cruiser, great for hooning around.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

The Mercedes Sprinter. It is apparently indestructible and will easily do half a million miles no problem according to movers and builders I know.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

We had Sprinter 4x4s in the military when I did my military service, we called them "Sprintelände" (Sprinter + Gelände, but also a pun about how absolute poo poo they are as elände means "miserable thing" in swedish). The Sprinter is built to a price just as much as all other miserable piles in that market segment.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Naked bike.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Buddy of mine was selling a bike for friend of his, needed to unload it for cheap, so I figured why not and bought this:

2013 Honda Fury, pictured with my '90 FZR600. Haven't had a cruiser since I sold my VMax a few years ago, and while the factory early 00s chopper style might not be for everybody, I've fallen in love with the thing. There's only like, 3 curvy roads in this whole town, so it's a lot more fun to just cruise around on than the FZR, the shaft drive is nice and smooth, it's just fun.

And, fun story, the friend of a friend that it was purchased from, was introduced to me as Uncle Don. Turns out, Uncle Don used to go by 'Shades' and is a former member of the Straight Satans. He's 70 odd years old, still pretty scary for guy who looks like your grandpa, and has loads of cool stories about the Manson family.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know it’s a Fury post but UGH THAT FZR :fap:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Agreed, the purple is stunning.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

2019 GSX250R... first bike and first afternoon of riding around my town. Stuck to side streets and going 25 felt pretty fast. Fastest speed in the ~ 20 mi I drove = 27 mph. Average speed? 8 mph. I only had a couple of hours of daylight to play with today, but tomorrow I start 2 weeks of vacation. Looking forward to mapping every side street and parking lot in my town.

Before I got my bike, I was using Google maps to scope parking lots and industrial parks. After today's ride I'm using it to scope lots, parks and buildings with reflective surfaces at street-level.

Tijuana in the distance

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
That is a very pretty bike, congratulations!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't really know SD that far south, but it looks like Campo Rd / the 94 would be fun if that's close enough. Maybe Otay Lakes Rd to Campo Rd? You're going to have a lot more fun on empty roads with turns than you will at office parks, and it looks like there's a decent shoulder so you can just pull over if people are behind you rather than feeling pressured to go faster.

*edit*
it looks pretty nice from a google streetview POV, complete with a biker passing the google van

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 18, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mincedgarlic posted:

2019 GSX250R... first bike and first afternoon of riding around my town. Stuck to side streets and going 25 felt pretty fast. Fastest speed in the ~ 20 mi I drove = 27 mph. Average speed? 8 mph. I only had a couple of hours of daylight to play with today, but tomorrow I start 2 weeks of vacation. Looking forward to mapping every side street and parking lot in my town.

Before I got my bike, I was using Google maps to scope parking lots and industrial parks. After today's ride I'm using it to scope lots, parks and buildings with reflective surfaces at street-level.

Tijuana in the distance

This is a good bike, congratulations!

Just take it easy and try to go out daily when you do your groceries/post etc on the bike. You'll soon be more comfortable on it and be able to go faster.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't really know SD that far south, but it looks like Campo Rd / the 94 would be fun if that's close enough.

I live in Imperial Beach, so I am in the most southwesterly point in the lower 48. Coincidentally I scoped Otay Lakes Rd. out already. Little more confidence and that's where I'm heading. Just have to punch through a little bit of congestion between where I am and open space.

Steakandchips posted:

This is a good bike, congratulations!

Thanks dude, much appreciated. Normally I'd rather not drive anywhere if I can avoid it. Got on the bike and realized going anywhere I want, mundane or otherwise, can be awesome again.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

mincedgarlic posted:

I live in Imperial Beach, so I am in the most southwesterly point in the lower 48. Coincidentally I scoped Otay Lakes Rd. out already. Little more confidence and that's where I'm heading. Just have to punch through a little bit of congestion between where I am and open space.

Thanks dude, much appreciated. Normally I'd rather not drive anywhere if I can avoid it. Got on the bike and realized going anywhere I want, mundane or otherwise, can be awesome again.

It won't be long before you decide you want to grab a soda and the best place to get one is the convenience store 30 miles away.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The year I got my bike, my Sunday brunch attendance went to like 300%

Sunday morning rides for eggs and pancakes or waffles are so good. Shame about the ‘rona :[

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
Went for a ride while it was relatively warm and not currently raining, but it turns out water from the road is still more than capable of soaking through my cheap boots to my socks. Turned around a bit early, but glad I got out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I also made the mistake of not bringing the right gear, should have worn the leg warmer things and brought the cold gloves, the dark side of the mountain was chilly as gently caress on the way back. But nice sunset