Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

not many stronger anti-click zone names than Rational Disconnect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ladylurid1/status/1336100538124021761

I don't know why so many mutuals follow that guy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How many replies are commenting on how fitting his name is?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kim Justice posted:

Um...wait, what? I swear this is someone I've seen RT'd on my timeline by people previously. Like, ok people. And here they're defending THAT?

What's the deal here?

He was always a neolib. Lots of leftists followed him because he would dunk on right-wingers but like all neolibs eventually they devolve into defending fascists for some reason

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jamie Faith posted:

He was always a neolib. Lots of leftists followed him because he would dunk on right-wingers but like all neolibs eventually they devolve into defending fascists for some reason
Scratch a neoliberal and a fascist bleeds as the saying goes

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Alaois posted:

i love wrestling and BTE is the best part of Monday now

I guess the Young Bucks/Brenden Cutler/ the AEW Mid card count as online creators.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

I guess the Young Bucks/Brenden Cutler/ the AEW Mid card count as online creators.

It's nice there's a promotion that actually encourages savvy social media use. (Shhh. No tears now, Zack Ryder.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Sammy Guevara is a youtuber who wrestles

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dawgstar posted:

It's nice there's a promotion that actually encourages savvy social media use. (Shhh. No tears now, Zack Ryder.)
the promotion literally only exists because of the savvy social media use

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT

Actually no, this ain't worth mentioning. Be well, internet peoples, delete twitter and look after your mental health.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 8, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

the promotion literally only exists because of the savvy social media use

Tony Khan's vast wealth also plays a part.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

weird how so many of these rational pragmatists end up fantasizing about murdering protestors. that doesn't seem rational at all!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dawgstar posted:

Tony Khan's vast wealth also plays a part.
His money only came after All In was a massive success built from their social media followings.

Like, reductively, yes it couldn't exist without funding. But savvy social media is what earned that funding.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This page is no fun.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Though it didn't deraill into hell, so there's that going for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/ladylurid1/status/1336100538124021761

I don't know why so many mutuals follow that guy.

What the gently caress is a mutual.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mutual follower. But also people I follow also follow that clown. Sometimes mistakes slip through the cracks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

THAT’S what “mutual” means? Jesus christ! Based on how people use it I thought it was a synonym for “friend” or “colleague” or at the very least “person that I know.” Why are people using a term that means “someone who follows a person on Twitter that I also follow” that way? That’s horrible.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

THAT’S what “mutual” means? Jesus christ! Based on how people use it I thought it was a synonym for “friend” or “colleague” or at the very least “person that I know.” Why are people using a term that means “someone who follows a person on Twitter that I also follow” that way? That’s horrible.

It's an important enough thing that you kinda need a term for it, and "mutual" is impersonal enough that it doesn't imply actual friendship or the like.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Mutual" means that you follow one another, not that you both follow some third person.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Motto posted:

"Mutual" means that you follow one another, not that you both follow some third person.

Oh, that makes a ton more sense!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hahah! Dark Orgy.

Hangman Adam Page is the year's best fictional character.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Honest Thief posted:

When searching for this thread i found the old one and around September someone posted about how RD was losing it irt that destiny clip, he's since then doubled down on it.

Another streamer had a "debate" with him about that specific clip and spent the entire time basically just repeating over and over an out to let that Destiny guy just walk it back and say he didn't actually think white supremacists should just walk in and murder people but he doubled down every time. He's never not doubled down on it and doesn't seem like he's ever going to stop.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Yvonmukluk posted:

I seem to recall that another pretty cool dude from that era was Ansom Burlingame. When Sumner got caned, Burlingame gave a speech calling out Brooks (the guy who did it) as the coward he was (he caned Sumner while he was sat behind a desk and couldn't escape and had another gun with a gun to stp anyone intervening), and Brooks then challenged him to a duel. Burlingame said 'gently caress yeah, let's duel' and since he was the guy who was challenged, he got to choose the location & weapons. He went with Canada (to get around American anti-dueling laws) and rifles (because he was a crack shot). Unsurprisingly, Brooks claimed he couldn't make it on account of the 'hostile country' between him and Canada.

Lincoln wanted Burlingame to be the US Envoy to the Austrian Empire, but his pro-Hungarian independence stance meant that was a non-starter, so instead he was sent to Qing China. Now, China in the 19th Century was not exactly having a happy time, but Burlingame took the radical stance of 'let's not be dicks to these people' and got most of the Western powers to at least for a time stop using military force and try cooperation with pro-reform elements instead. when his term ended, the Chinese government hired him to be their ambassador to the US, and he successfully negotiated a treaty allowing Chinese citizens to immigrate to the US and even become citizens.

While unfortunately a lot of his hard work would go on to be undone after his death, he was still a pretty cool dude for the time.

Yeah! It's a fun story. Sumner and Burlingame went on to have long careers and (although Sumner had a head injury that caused him pain for the rest of his life), the guy who beat him up basically never did anything after that and is the one thing he did in his life was completely encapsulate the conservative psyche; get triggered when you're called out, react violently when there's no chance of repurcussions, and run away like a coward when you aren't completely protected.

McCloud posted:

Didn't he use the N-word (with a hard R) in one of his "debates" with someone which lead to a whole clusterfuck? People on my timeline were rightly a bit pissed about that

urgh yeah this is the dumbest poo poo. Vaush is someone who became famous this/last year for debating anyone, including nazi's and the like. He is for my money quite a bit smarter than destiny, and it was basically him owning sargon/a bunch of other alt-righters that got them all to mysteriously agree this year that "it's pointless to debate leftists so we're not going to anymore".

In on debate with three nazi's they kept talking over him and making jokes where they danced around racial slurs and snickered and vaush said "are you afraid to say ______ or something?" and they all suddenly went very quiet.

vaush defended himself by saying he did it to regain power/control in the debate, which in his opinion he did. He admits though that using the n word to make a point to literal nazi's might not be worth it.

imo, no one gets to be a full-time streamer without saying stupid poo poo. There's a difference between using a slur to be edgy and admitting it might have been stupid and angrily telling people it would be good to kill protestors.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 8, 2020

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I don't wanna be a spoilsport but I'm working my way through Dynamite with a friend rn and really wanna get caught up unspoiled so if you're posting AEW content could you please tag it that way?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no problemo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's always weird to go "why is anyone following this guy?" when the reason it's such a big deal they're having such a dogshit take is they normally tweet good stuff. That's why people were following him - he tweeted good things.

It's like when a non-political creator dips their toes in the water of politics and comes off like a moron. Nerd City makes great videos (with insane production) but then they pinched this loaf off yesterday:

https://twitter.com/nerdcity/status/1335627533866455045?s=20

McInnes was deplatformed BECAUSE of his insane fringe positions. He was engaging in Holocaust denial at the same time he was sometimes guest hosting for Steven Crowder's "mainstream" channel.

poo poo the take in that screenshot IS the mainstream conservative position on the election. Also maybe question if your take is good if Count Dankula is in the replies agreeing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Nuns with Guns posted:

See, this guy gets it. If you must do skits, you should at least have some funny facial hair while you do them.

Speaking of which, is Epic Rap Battles of History still a thing?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of which, is Epic Rap Battles of History still a thing?

Oh boy is it ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ver1OZdK2bA

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They got bought by Disney awhile back so it'll be a thing forever.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

This is the second lego video they've done and they're both garbage.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
epic rap battles? garbage? surely not!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gamers showing the expected level of grace and reasonableness to criticism of Cyberpunk having a photosensitive epilepsy trigger in it.

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1336204870970433536?s=19

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I am amazed that this was the hill that rational disconnect chose to die on.

Did not see this one coming.

Rittenhouse went on a protestor safari and the best defense this guy can muster is "well if they broke into Rittenhouse's home when he was justified"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

Gamers showing the expected level of grace and reasonableness to criticism of Cyberpunk having a photosensitive epilepsy trigger in it.

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1336204870970433536?s=19

This type of behavior isn't really related to gamers, though. Similar thing happened to a dude that was related to politics a while ago iirc.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Roth posted:

Perhaps there's a reason Dan Olson stopped posting here.

what are you trying to say

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Ash Crimson posted:

what are you trying to say

my recollection is that nobody pretended it didn't happen, and gave Dan a huge amount of poo poo over it; so Dan pouted and sulked off

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I didn't watch the whole thing, but the first minute & 15 seconds were way less terrible than I expected...damning with faint praise indeed.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They got bought by Disney awhile back so it'll be a thing forever.

Oh joy of joys. :geno:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

YeahTubaMike posted:

I didn't watch the whole thing, but the first minute & 15 seconds were way less terrible than I expected...damning with faint praise indeed.

Oh joy of joys. :geno:

the most annoying thing about epic rap battles of history is there's ONE loving dude in that crew who actually knows how to rap and can have good flow and poo poo and it's just like 'what's happened that you're here and not just on soundcloud or something'. You've got like three guys who have no bars unless they cram fifty pop culture references in and ruin the flow and this guy's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

sexpig by night posted:

the most annoying thing about epic rap battles of history is there's ONE loving dude in that crew who actually knows how to rap and can have good flow and poo poo and it's just like 'what's happened that you're here and not just on soundcloud or something'. You've got like three guys who have no bars unless they cram fifty pop culture references in and ruin the flow and this guy's there.

I've only heard 2 1/3-ish of their raps, nowhere near enough to tell who's good and who isn't, but my main gripe was that they're wasting good beats on bad/mediocre content.