Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is the most pathetic thing I’ve ever seen.

Open my PM :dong:

What a terrible snipe. Luckily I have a new cat picture ready to go,

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

peanut- posted:

The Sainsburys scan on your phone as you go setup is slick as hell, but I still find it hard to shake the feeling that I'm doing something criminal when shoving food into my rucksack as I walk round the shop.

I've been pulled 3 over times in 3 weeks to have 14 random items scanned. It's getting so bad I might sack it off.

What pisses me off is that I back my bags in a certain way and they loving gently caress with it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1336040854792900609

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
In case anyone still believes people's vote was anything other than getting rid of Corbyn

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1336264376655941632?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

notaspy posted:

I've been pulled 3 over times in 3 weeks to have 14 random items scanned. It's getting so bad I might sack it off.

What pisses me off is that I back my bags in a certain way and they loving gently caress with it.

Huh I've never been pulled aside, I didn't know that was even a thing they did.

I'd be curious to know our respective skin colours (white as the driven snow here)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Convex posted:

I have eaten a burger in spoons and it was p bad, hope that helps
thank you for your service

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'd be curious to know our respective skin colours (white as the driven snow here)

It's happened to me a couple of times. It's not a person picking people out, the self-checkout thing where you pay just tells you to ask a staff member to proceed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

notaspy posted:

Your avatar doesn't exactly paint you as the most trustworthy, nor great at deception.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Nah my friend nottheimpostor has vouched for them.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

notaspy posted:

Talking of tech and contactless, when I use deliveroo I tip via the app as I don't have cash, is this an awful idea?

I have no idea if there are any cuts during transfer to the driver but whenever I've used it the drivers themselves seem pretty appreciative of it so I assume they're getting it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Soricidus posted:

you need better buses mate, can’t think when i last paid a bus fare with anything that wasn’t contactless

The buses do contactless. I however do not as I don't have that sort of card. Technically I'm sure I could go and change my bank account but I really appreciate still having the same account I had when I was 14 if only because it doesn't allow me to get overdrawn because I am catastrophically bad at money.

Worked out quite well when I last went in because the driver just let me on for free as he couldn't be arsed dealing with cash

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 8, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/setoacnna/status/1336251008389967872?s=19

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Biggus Dickus posted:

Stop talking about whiskey and start talking about Camrath’s chilli chocolate fudge.

I can’t feel my lips.

It’s got a bit of a sting on the tail, not gonna lie.

Did you get the ‘hmm, tastes like normal fudge’ *five seconds later*:supaburn: effect?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What are the twiddly bits at the top and bottom of a posh letter called?

VVV Sorry, as in a letter that you post not of the alphabet?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 8, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Flourishes?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Sometimes it's hard to be the only person in the family who can count past the number of fingers and toes.

Just delivered a £20k shock (heavily caveated to say that I am not a financial advisor or accountant and any actions taken or not taken are entirely at the risk of the relative asking me to check calculations) to a relative who entered into a very sloppily worded (but looked good) letter in connection with a loan to help with house purchase, the word 'equity' banded about at will. Relative's lender (also a relative) needs their loan repaying and borrower relative totally underestimated (by £20k) amount due.

The level of mathematical ability, particularly where percentages are involved, amongst the general population is dire. (And I'm talking about relatives with post-graduate degrees here).

If you're going to get private loans, especially involving property, for heaven's sake get them drawn up properly by people who know what they're doing!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is an example, do you mean the Dear Sir or Madam bit?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The scroll shafts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You mean poo poo like this?

That's a flourish, or sometimes a vignette.

The twiddly bits at the top and bottom of a letter of the alphabet is an accent.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah the squiggly bits, so I can google for more of them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Probably best to leave the squiggly bits off and just focus on making the list look like a child wrote it. Otherwise he might cotton on to you being a full grown adult.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

^^^^ I think OP is writing a letter purporting to come from Santa to a child.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Google "fancy borders for Word" (with or without the quotation marks) and check out Images.

for example:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Greg_Adams_/status/1335652866992857090?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not the revolutionary vanguard we need but probably the one we deserve.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Can you vote in a collective, for example a pair of identical twins, as an MP?

Thanks all for the help with the letter. I'm actually doing both to create plausible evidence chain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Every post on Traveller rights has a bunch of comments proving its necessity.

It's interesting how similar those comments look to how common anti-Black racism looked in the early 90s in terms of "I'll respect them when they stop stealing from my shop".

Anti-Black common racism seems now to have advanced to "I'm not racist, but [racism]" and complaining about adverts, whereas anti-Traveller sentiment still seems the same as it was forever.

I wonder if that's down to media representation or movements in the US or something else.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 8, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

one of the funnier aspects of brexit is that it'll have thatcher rolling over in her grave

https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/status/1336284019852447744?s=20

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

That would be header/footer art or letterhead art. Often just called letterheads but you’ll get lots of text ones if you search that.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ad_Inifinitum/status/1336077199376601103?s=20

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Scan while you shop is the way to go folks. You bag it all up as you go around the supermarket and there’s never any real queues, and it saves an absurd amount of time.

So you can gently caress about scanning and bagging things while other people are trying to get stuff from the shelves you're stood in front of?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Scan while you shop is the way to go folks. You bag it all up as you go around the supermarket and there’s never any real queues, and it saves an absurd amount of time.

I did that in Co-Op and hated it. I'm conditioned to feel like a criminal if I can't physically show a person/machine that I haven't got anything in my bag that I haven't paid it.

It's also all done via an app so you end up standing in the middle of the aisle going through the payment instead of going to a designated checkout which is awkward as hell.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

stev posted:

I did that in Co-Op and hated it. I'm conditioned to feel like a criminal if I can't physically show a person/machine that I haven't got anything in my bag that I haven't paid it.

It's also all done via an app so you end up standing in the middle of the aisle going through the payment instead of going to a designated checkout which is awkward as hell.

If you feel like a criminal anyway why not take the opportunity to actually shoplift?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

namesake posted:

If you feel like a criminal anyway why not take the opportunity to actually shoplift?
Considering self-service was a deliberate choice to increase shoplifting to reduce staff, it's basically scabbing to not steal poo poo at this point

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

So you can gently caress about scanning and bagging things while other people are trying to get stuff from the shelves you're stood in front of?

lol have you ever actually been in a supermarket?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I remember being promised that all groceries were going to have RFID chips embedded in the packaging so we could walk directly out of the store and have our shopping automagically scanned and charged. Whatever happened to that? :mad:

crispix posted:

i say we go one step further and consume the products in the stores :catstare:

so much time we'll save
A lot of people do this already, I remember scanning and then throwing away a lot of empty sandwich packets when I worked the tills

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Being repeatedly held up by vague, unfocused people faffing around helplessly in whatever bit of the shop you need to be in is central to the supermarket experience. They're the retail equivalent of those country roads where there's always someone doing 20 under the limit in front of you and touching their brakes every time they see a car on the other side of the road and there's no safe spot to overtake them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I remember being promised that all groceries were going to have RFID chips embedded in the packaging so we could walk directly out of the store and have our shopping automagically scanned and charged. Whatever happened to that? :mad:

Just cost sadly, it's not economic to do tagging below the pallet level. The single digit margin on most food can't absorb the price of RFID tags.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I am unbelievably white, middle class. I think it's down to either the size of my shop or that I go to the end of the shop and then double back to pick-up items like cleaners.

Or it could be Christmas.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Your avatar doesn't exactly paint you as the most trustworthy, nor great at deception.

What do you mean? I am clearly neither a spy nor an ork.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

TACD posted:

A lot of people do this already, I remember scanning and then throwing away a lot of empty sandwich packets when I worked the tills

Back when I was a feckless criminal teenager, this used to be my shoplifting method of choice. Order a fancy pastry or scotch egg at the deli counter, then consume it as I walked around the shop buying other stuff. They never caught me :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1336299592258887683?s=19