Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1335947292810080256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Oxxidation posted:

i was getting vague alarm bells in the last couple months of cyberpunk's PR where every new bit of info concerned some inane celebrity cameo or endorsement instead of how it plays

same kind of thing happened with RDR2 now that i think about it, but at least that game let me go on some lovely nature hikes

Lol im not frothing at the mouth a tenth as much as people are for cyberpunk but its gonna be 10 times more fun than the most fun bit in RDR2

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can guarantee even without playing it that cyberpunk will be much better written than rdr2

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Grapplejack posted:

I can guarantee even without playing it that cyberpunk will be much better written than rdr2

:can:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I should probably be less surprised that reviews giving Cyberpunk a 9/10 are bombarded with complaints that it isn't 10/10 and accusations of bias

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
9/10 is the new 8.8

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I hated the story in rdr2 tbh and I think rockstars writing quality has plummeted pretty severely. Gtav had the same problem; a lot of it I blame on the Hauser's getting old and inserting their midlife crises into their writing, hence the recent string of "old men complain endlessly"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so many of rdr2's problems could have been fixed by not making the cops omnipresent psychics

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grapplejack posted:

Well after "parodic racist Mexican stereotype probably voiced by John DiMaggio" in the previews CDPR has only up to go from here.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Well after "parodic racist Mexican stereotype probably voiced by John DiMaggio" in the previews CDPR has only up to go from here.

I misread the name and had terrible, terrible flashbacks to The Pest

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Grapplejack posted:

I misread the name and had terrible, terrible flashbacks to The Pest

I'm ridickalicklious
Like a booger i stick to this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grapplejack posted:

I hated the story in rdr2 tbh and I think rockstars writing quality has plummeted pretty severely. Gtav had the same problem; a lot of it I blame on the Hauser's getting old and inserting their midlife crises into their writing, hence the recent string of "old men complain endlessly"

This but the entire videogame industry.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fun fact: John Liguizammo's The Pest and Jean Claude Van Damme's Hard Target are based on the same source material

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

stev posted:

This but the entire videogame industry.

Resident Evil 7 and 2 Remake had amazing writing. End of Zoe is one of the greatest stories in videogames imo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Convex posted:

Resident Evil 7 and 2 Remake had amazing writing. End of Zoe is one of the greatest stories in videogames imo

Shame about the gameplay of 7 past the funhouse

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Society and people are extremely complex, and showing that in a video game is really challenging. But I think if a game is going to try to do it, then the devs have an obligation to get it right. Without even having played CP77 yet, it's still clear as day from reviews, leaked footage, and CDPR's own marketing, that CDPR missed the mark.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Shame about the gameplay of 7 past the funhouse

*unloads weapons into old virus'd up man* *old virus'd up man does not flinch and it is not apparent whether you were meant to shoot him or if that was a scripted event*

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Release a mediocre game on purpose so you don't have to pay score bonuses. Galaxy brain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grapplejack posted:

"old men complain endlessly"

Where do you think you are?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

baten kaitos slaps, just please for the love of gaming do not attempt to 100% it and also feel free to turn the voice acting off

I generally play with sound off, but yeah that VA is worse than Path of Radiance.

And I'll be lucky to get 20 hours in before my ADHD sends me to something else.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

Sharing this post from the CP77 thread cause it says my thoughts as a trans woman on the game's trans representation in better words than I could use

Isn’t this a problem in nearly every video with character creation? Specifically restricting voice options to the gender you selected at the top. So no female characters with deep voices

Sims 4 is by far the trans-friendliest video game I’ve ever seen: you still have to pick between male or female but there are also options for stuff like, does your character pee standing up or sitting down? Can your character get pregnant?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not as much of a problem with other games because they don't really deal outside of the cis binary while CP is putting on airs of letting you be trans while half-assing it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why are CDPR fans like this

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Isn’t this a problem in nearly every video with character creation? Specifically restricting voice options to the gender you selected at the top. So no female characters with deep voices

Sims 4 is by far the trans-friendliest video game I’ve ever seen: you still have to pick between male or female but there are also options for stuff like, does your character pee standing up or sitting down? Can your character get pregnant?

Saints Row 4 did it fine iirc, choose any body type with any sex and any voice

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

yeah but that's the opposite of what cyberpunk does, they made a big deal about letting you drill down deep into gender but they really just moved the gender choice further down the list and renamed it. it's the same as having a hard male/female switch at the top but that'd be more honest about how it works

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

True but I don't want to play a trans character who's a woman with a male voice, all that says to me is the creator thinks trans women are really just men underneath.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

Why are CDPR fans like this

My very unscientific theory that I will in no way examine critically is that many Witcher fans are kinda on the bro side, as evidenced by the top posters in the CP2077 thread cross-referenced with probations + bans for racism/sexism.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

My very unscientific theory that I will in no way examine critically is that many Witcher fans are kinda on the bro side, as evidenced by the top posters in the CP2077 thread cross-referenced with probations + bans for racism/sexism.

lol

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Walla posted:

I generally play with sound off, but yeah that VA is worse than Path of Radiance.

And I'll be lucky to get 20 hours in before my ADHD sends me to something else.

That might not even get you through disc 1

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1336313162669449217

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

yeah but that's the opposite of what cyberpunk does, they made a big deal about letting you drill down deep into gender but they really just moved the gender choice further down the list and renamed it. it's the same as having a hard male/female switch at the top but that'd be more honest about how it works

if i'm not mistaken it had a male/female switch in the first e3 showing. voice as gender was their improvised solution to all the negative feedback they received. there are languages (such as Polish) where your gender affects your conjugation etc., i.e., decoupling voice from gender would require rerecording all of V's lines in these languages. the expense wouldn't probably be a big deal, but I can imagine it being a production nightmare that late in development (entirely my speculation)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's something depressing about this considering all of the awful poo poo that's come out of ActiBlizz in the last year.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Look we all can't be as progressive as the game where you beat people to death with giant floppy purple dildo bats

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

expansions don't count, sorry

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

expansions don't count, sorry

And really if you consider how many WoW accounts there are, even active accounts, this number is actually not that good. If anything it could be considered a failure. It shows that less and less people care about WoW, want to keep playing it, and don't care enough about new content to purchase it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

China Don’t Care

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Saint Freak posted:

Look we all can't be as progressive as the game where you beat people to death with giant floppy purple dildo bats

Saints Row 3 was pretty progressive, yeah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

And really if you consider how many WoW accounts there are, even active accounts, this number is actually not that good. If anything it could be considered a failure. It shows that less and less people care about WoW, want to keep playing it, and don't care enough about new content to purchase it.

It does, at least, seem that Shadowlands has sold better than any WoW expansion in the last decade or so, so I'm not sure it necessarily shows WoW in active decline as much as it shows that it has declined a lot, if that makes sense. WoW's big decline happened years ago but Shadowlands appears to be slowing it, if nothing else.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

stev posted:

There's something depressing about this considering all of the awful poo poo that's come out of ActiBlizz in the last year.

I bought a sub to WOW because it is basically the only way to communicate with some friends at this point

I don't feel great about it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

if i'm not mistaken it had a male/female switch in the first e3 showing. voice as gender was their improvised solution to all the negative feedback they received. there are languages (such as Polish) where your gender affects your conjugation etc., i.e., decoupling voice from gender would require rerecording all of V's lines in these languages. the expense wouldn't probably be a big deal, but I can imagine it being a production nightmare that late in development (entirely my speculation)
exactly, they half-assed it