Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OhFunny posted:

The 6900 is supposed to launch today. The employees at the Cambridge Microcenter came out and told the ~30 people camping outside they hadn't received any of the cards in today's delivery according to the Discord channel.

"I'm sorry, Mario, but your cards are all in reviewers' hands!" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
the 3060ti seems to hang 10-20% back and constantly achieves worse lows & worse frametimes is how i'd talk myself into a 3070, but yeah dang it's an extremely capable card.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RX 6900XT reviews are out

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Burying the lede here, 3080 Ti launch expected in January.

3070 Ti looks relatively unexceptional although I guess it all depends on pricing. Still 10GB, which I guess is a step up from 3070 tier’s 8GB but still much less than AMD gives you, slotting in a ways below a 3080 unless it clocks exceptionally high (like it’s a TSMC refresh).

The real story there is TU103 though. NVIDIA appears to be leading with the down-binned TU103 and will probably be replacing 3080 with TU103 at some point as well. Depending on how they do this, it is possible they could fulfill 3080s out of both TU103 and TU102 for a while.

Far from the “Samsung yields suck bro!!!” thing I’m interpreting this as the opposite. Yields are high enough they’re wasting silicon on the 3080, long-term they are killing that TU102 part and using that silicon for 3080 Ti which will be cut down less. Then introducing TU103 to slot in between and eventually switching over to fulfill 3080 out of full TU103 chips. And again yields are good enough there’s no reason to cut the new TU103 down all the way to 3070 levels so they’re introducing 3070 Ti with a smaller trimdown.

This is them optimizing for wafer utilization at the expense of yields, this is the opposite of what you would do if you have yield problems, they are trying to cut down each piece of silicon less so they throw away less.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 8, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

gradenko_2000 posted:

RX 6900XT reviews are out

The TL;DR is it's 5-10% faster than the 6800XT for a 50% increase in cost.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

OhFunny posted:

The TL;DR is it's 5-10% faster than the 6800XT for a 50% increase in cost.

So like a slightly worse 3090 all over again? Neato.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hasturtium posted:

So like a slightly worse 3090 all over again? Neato.

And still even less available than nvidia's already trash-tier launches were haha

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
an RTX 3050. huh.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So am I good leaving my 7 3700x alone with my 3080? Should I be scouring for a 5900x before playing CyberGame2020 or would I be wasting money on diminished returns?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Xaris posted:

You will probably be surprised to learn that you need your flashlight a whole lot less with it off. I played with it on our of stubbornness, but drat if it didn't really wipe out a lot of the detailed static lighting that went into areas as well when I tried turning it off at times and was wowed by the rasterized lighting. A lot of rooms are just completely pitch black but not in a great way. I will say the aurora in the dessert and stuff generally looked better with it on than off.

Someone did a gallery with it. I'll leave it to the reader to figure out which is on and which is off.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...WcwVE51NFdEdXhn

if you get to the end and can't figure it out...
left is on, right is off

I'm really into computer graphics, so I recognize that I might look at these screenshots differently than many others, but every single screenshot that includes a building interior in that list looks much better with RT on. It's interesting to me that the lighting in the "off" case so immediately stood out as faked, and is even distracting, while others find it a toss up between the two.

Notable the non-RT lighting in these screenshots looks very unnatural to me:

This last one features both shadow acne and light leakage, both unavoidable features when using shadow mapping:

I will agree that for game play purposes, many of the RT shots are too dark, but that seems like a failing with the tone-mapping and exposure which was likely tuned for the static rasterized lighting.

I agree that most of the shots that are just an expansive exterior do not benefit as much from the GI, but that's to be expected really. Even there though you sometimes see reflected light giving shadowed areas a much more realistic appearance (and also more interesting, to me).

This is all to say that I think it's interesting how some (to me) obvious artifacts of faked GI and shadow mapping are not distracting to most people, even with side by side comparisons.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Burying the lede here, 3080 Ti launch expected in January.

*eyes the deadline for my EVGA step-up on February 8, 2021*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

So am I good leaving my 7 3700x alone with my 3080? Should I be scouring for a 5900x before playing CyberGame2020 or would I be wasting money on diminished returns?

too early to say, wait for 3rd party independent reviews, etc., but also unlikely

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

an RTX 3050. huh.

TU107 as well as TU103, yup.

That was inevitable though and AMD appears to be readying Small Navi (several in fact) for launch so NVIDIA has to respond as well. Or maybe it’s the other way around, who can tell, point is they like to launch together.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Minecraft RTX is out of beta, so you can play it online with non-beta-users now

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1336309900918599681?s=19

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

gradenko_2000 posted:

an RTX 3050. huh.

They had to replace the 1650 with something, and odds are it's a variant of a mobile-targeted design. An RTX 2060-class card without a power connector could be really cool, but hobbling it with 4GB of RAM will suck. That'll be the third consecutive generation after the 1050 Ti and 1650 to have that much, and it started pinching a while ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rolo posted:

According to benchmarks my Ryzen 2700x is roughly even to the 3080 on CPU/GPU limitation in 1440p non-RT scenarios, so I think there's already some diminishing returns there. This is with a modest 4.2mhz overclock.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

*eyes the deadline for my EVGA step-up on February 8, 2021*

I've got 47 days left on mine, I suspect I'm hosed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hasturtium posted:

They had to replace the 1650 with something, and odds are it's a variant of a mobile-targeted design. An RTX 2060-class card without a power connector could be really cool, but hobbling it with 4GB of RAM will suck. That'll be the third consecutive generation after the 1050 Ti and 1650 to have that much, and it started pinching a while ago.

Yeah I'm officially On The Hunt for an RTX 3060Ti as of today but even with this news I won't be eyeing the 3050 because I'm already on 4 GB with the RX 580 and I'll be damned if I'm not getting more after an upgrade

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

I would just keep the 3700x if unless you are going to do content creation/streaming then consider the 5900x.

Tom's Hardware charts are showing the game is more GPU dependent. However, the data is flawed as it is not using the day 1 patch and optimized GPU drivers which could drastically improve when the game launches.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

Minecraft RTX is out of beta, so you can play it online with non-beta-users now

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1336309900918599681?s=19

My 3060 ti should be getting here Thursday and I guess I'll play this until Cyberpunk gets a few more patches

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
BB drop go goons go.

!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rolo posted:

BB drop go goons go.

!!!!!!!!!!

So do you just sit waiting for more inventory doing nothing? Can't even skip with apple pay on the app anymore it looks like :rip:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On BB you have to spam refresh the store page until you get the yellow Add to Cart option, then mass click on the thing until you get a Please Wait... prompt. DO NOT refresh the page if you get to this step. From there you should be able to get to checkout and hopefully (if you have your billing/shipping info saved) you'll cash out before it gets removed from your cart.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

On BB you have to spam refresh the store page until you get the yellow Add to Cart option, then mass click on the thing until you get a Please Wait... prompt. DO NOT refresh the page if you get to this step. From there you should be able to get to checkout and hopefully (if you have your billing/shipping info saved) you'll cash out before it gets removed from your cart. get told the 3080 strix is sold out

but hey I got to click a yellow button, that was neat.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

On BB you have to spam refresh the store page until you get the yellow Add to Cart option, then mass click on the thing until you get a Please Wait... prompt. DO NOT refresh the page if you get to this step. From there you should be able to get to checkout and hopefully (if you have your billing/shipping info saved) you'll cash out before it gets removed from your cart.

I have add to cart buttons on everything, it won't add to cart.

I did get one in my cart and then it just said unavailable at your store. Thanks BB!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
this seems like a big drop, they've been trickling out stock for like 15 minutes now.

snagged a 3070 FE, that'll hold me until the 3080 ti drops, although if NVIDIA is right that inventory is going to loosen up in the second half of december there may be some loss of resale value, but I guess I can always keep it for a VR pc or whatever

edit: holiday return policy at best buy too, must be returned with all packaging and accessory in undamaged condition by Jan 16, if nobody here/none of my friends want it I'll just return it when I'm done, lol thanks for the cyberpunk rental

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 8, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I don't think my part of the west coast got any 3080s, oh well

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
In theory I registered very early for an EVGA 3060ti my friend no longer needs but I dunno if the queue is moving yet

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got a few cards in my cart but it keeps thinking I want to do in store and it won’t let me change to shipping.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rolo posted:

I got a few cards in my cart but it keeps thinking I want to do in store and it won’t let me change to shipping.

it's ship-to-store only to fight bots

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Bestbuy isn't doing shipping for the hot items. I live near at least 10 bestbuys within 250 miles and it wasn't available to pickup anywhere

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
try setting a "preferred store" and see if it lets you ship to store, it may be getting stuck because you don't have a preferred store set

(BB calls it "my store")

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I think they are doing ship to store, not distributing to random ones, they just go so fast. I don't quite get how they do a semi-queue system and then no one gets them anyway. It seems pretty trivial at that point to do a real queue.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Rolo posted:

BB drop go goons go.

!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even buy the cards in stock because, "pick up isn't available within 250 miles of your location"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How much you think a 3050 will go for?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
199 non ti? 400 already gets you a card that'll do 1440p/60 and they're allegedly releasing two 3060 models below that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

How much you think a 3050 will go for?

The GTX 1050 launched for 109 USD; the GTX 1650 launched for 149 USD

My guess is SRP is probably going to be closer to 200 USD, with the 3060 being in the 300 USD range (and the 3060Ti being 400 USD)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
awhile back the Razzlecore pbr pack was broken by a beta update, Emissive blocks stopped emitting light. I wonder if that ever got fixed or if they just expect people to only use rtx in the prebuilt worlds.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Maybe 3050 $149
3050ti $200
3060 $279
3060 $329
3060ti $400

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
hmm, unexpectadly Dell says my PNY 3080 will be here tomorrow instead of 2/2/21; they also refunded me $90 to bring it down to the 749 MSRP

I think if the card POSTS and stress tests fine and doesn't make any weird coil whine, I am just going to instantly eBay my Gigabyte 3070 OC for 775 Buy It Now, I feel a little lovely, but, gently caress, I can use the money and it's not like I set out to do this. When I ordered the 3070 I had a 2/2 date on the 3080 and figured when the time came I'd be selling it for ~10% under what I paid.

It's still lovely behavior, and I'll feel bad about it as I spend my ill gotten $200 on necessary home repairs :capitalism:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 8, 2020