Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Geralt is much more of a Mary Sue than Goku lol

Ummmmm have you considered that he has a dark, tortured backstory that turned him into the superhuman badass he is today??

I just realized he's Wolverine lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The origin of the term Mary Sue is very interesting and spoilers, it's a gendered insult originally directed toward Star Trek fanfiction writers for including overly competent female characters in their stories, despite you know Captain Kirk himself being the absolute definition of the archetype.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, that reviewer guy says now that as a heterosexual male you get the least ammount of romance options, good.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Palpek posted:

Ok, that reviewer guy says now that as a heterosexual male you get the least ammount of romance options, good.

Why is less options for what’s gonna be the vast majority of players good again

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Why would the vast majority of players play a heterosexual character?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

The vast majority of straight people are really boring.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

*citation needed

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

cdpr is locking off content for straight men. this is unacceptable

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I too think cyberdongs and technopussies should be equally distributed no matter what your character's gender/sexual orientation is but I guess that's less woke than "gently caress heteros"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Are we really gonna do the whole “Everyone pretends that 90% of players don’t self insert for at least the first play through” stuff again

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yeah Steam will do this for some reason for pre-loaded games.

It's the first game I've ever pre-ordered, and already there are bugs. Man, I'm going to regret this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Are we really gonna do the whole “Everyone pretends that 90% of players don’t self insert for at least the first play through” stuff again

your assumption that 90% of gamers in 2020 are straight men is WRONG which why were treating your post as WEIRD

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

your assumption that 90% of gamers in 2020 are straight men is WRONG which why were treating your post as WEIRD

Alright fair enough
75% then?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just because I'm a jacked 200lb. red-headed lesbian doesn't mean you all have to be.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cause it's just a matter of time until thirsty gamers start whining how it's unfair they only get to bang 4 chicks instead of 5 and how the potential main love interest is a lesbian. It will be a pretty wild ride.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

I said come in! posted:

This reminds me of Baldur's Gate 3 when the developers were surprised that the vast majority of players just made a regular rear end character that looks like them instead of whatever snowflake tumblr OC the devs usually played with in D&D lol.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

stev posted:

lmao

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Palpek posted:

Cause it's just a matter of time until thirsty gamers start whining how it's unfair they only get to bang 4 chicks instead of 5 and how the potential main love interest is a lesbian. It will be a pretty wild ride.

Alright that's fair, the meltdowns are going to be fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Alright fair enough
75% then?

just loving look it up dude jesus

https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/

between 41%-52% of "gamers" are women, depending on whether or not you consider phones "gaming" and whether you use complete data from 2019 or incomplete data from 2020. There is no breakdown of "gamers" where straight men represent a majority.

Gaming overtook movies as the biggest entertainment cashcow over a decade ago, video games are completely mainstream and everyone plays them

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I said come in! posted:

am straight, can confirm

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the origin of mary sue is that it was a really short parody story written by someone joking around with others who were in their same social hobbyist circle, based on funny observations. It's gendered because those people were mostly women at that time and the in-joke was much better if you were one of the women who read stories like that or had your own self-insert to some degree and got it. If people took that and used it to attack women then gently caress em

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cyberpunk proves that games should give players no character customization whatsoever, no sexual content, an mostly confine them to manipulating abstract shapes in a featureless void.

Jesus Christ

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vorik posted:

This reminds me of Baldur's Gate 3 when the developers were surprised that the vast majority of players just made a regular rear end character that looks like them instead of whatever snowflake tumblr OC the devs usually played with in D&D lol.

Ah yes default human being is “straight white cis male”

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Eraflure posted:

Alright that's fair, the meltdowns are going to be fun.
The meltdown over Judy not being romanceable unless you're playing as a woman will be unreal.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

exquisite tea posted:

The origin of the term Mary Sue is very interesting and spoilers, it's a gendered insult originally directed toward Star Trek fanfiction writers for including overly competent female characters in their stories, despite you know Captain Kirk himself being the absolute definition of the archetype.

ok but geralt is still that

Bust Rodd posted:

didn't like 90% of players literally play as male Shepard with the default face and class and then romance the white lady option

the class part isn't even a gender thing gamers are just uncreative

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm probably going to choose male vs female based on which one has the best VO TBH, but right now I don't have a good handle on which that, is or if they're both similar quality.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/

between 41%-52% of "gamers" are women, depending on whether or not you consider phones "gaming". There is no breakdown of "gamers" where straight men represent a majority.

Sure, and I don’t even put down mobile gamers really, but do you really think it’s not going to be mostly guys (and therefore mostly straight guys) playing a FPS game based off a pen and paper RPG? Like no matter how hyped this game is, both FPS and RGPs are pretty heavily biased toward male players man.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah its a total mystery why women would want to bang a perfect physical specimen that legendarily can't get you pregnant or give you syphilis :iiam:

And whose touch literally causes your skin to tingle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

between 41%-52% of "gamers" are women, depending on whether or not you consider phones "gaming" and whether you use complete data from 2019 or incomplete data from 2020. There is no breakdown of "gamers" where straight men represent a majority.

Gaming overtook movies as the biggest entertainment cashcow over a decade ago, video games are completely mainstream and everyone plays them

Doesn’t that say in 2020 that 59% of gamers are men though

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Palpek posted:

The meltdown over Judy not being romanceable unless you're playing as a woman will be unreal.

Wait do most people see Judy as the main love interest? I thought she won’t even talk to you unless you take the right start

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

sean10mm posted:

I'm probably going to choose male vs female based on which one has the best VO TBH, but right now I don't have a good handle on which that, is or if they're both similar quality.

yeah I'd like to hear some comparisons

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I can't imagine buying an expansive open-world game from an eastern european developer on release. What is wrong with you people? Let that poo poo simmer in the delicious juice of patches and desperate hotfixes for a year or two.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

No just look it up arghhhhhh!!!!!

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

My Love Interest, my True Soul Mate, my One and Only will be whoever gives me the companion perk that lets me gib my enemies 5% more efficiently

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

anyone know what the meta build is for sexual preference

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don't even know any of the characters that are in the game, but you are trying to make authorative arguments about them and the possible "romance" paths, lol

This is worse than Bioware threads

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Vorik posted:

counterpoint: if you're playing a high fantasy role playing game and choose a bog-standard standard white male human that looks he could work in programming, you're Doing it Wrong

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wait do most people see Judy as the main love interest? I thought she won’t even talk to you unless you take the right start
Apparently a lot of people already decided she's their waifu because of her preominence in all the pre-release materials.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

removing a rib to romance my own cyberdong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Vorik posted:

Hello