Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Party Chat is generally clearer than game chat in my experience, but also fucks with game audio a bit. I cant hear footsteps anywhere near as well in COD as I do when playing using just game-chat.

usually when someone has an echo they have a hosed cable on their headphones or the jack isnt connected properly.

They really need an option for normalising chat audio volume because some people have decent mics, some people have poo poo mics, and not having the ability in game-chat (for cross platform games) to set per-user volumes is real frustrating.

friendly reminder that Dolby Atmos for Headphones is amazing and you should all use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I redeemed my Microsoft Reward points for one month of Xbox Ultimate Gamepass and apparently you can only use it for new accounts. :v:

I’m going to see if I can find someway to have it applied. Otherwise I guess I’ll just give it to someone in the thread... but boy am I annoyed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well I redeemed my Microsoft Reward points for one month of Xbox Ultimate Gamepass and apparently you can only use it for new accounts. :v:

I’m going to see if I can find someway to have it applied. Otherwise I guess I’ll just give it to someone in the thread... but boy am I annoyed.
I'm pretty sure this is something they did not intend, or at least enough people are mad about it that they may fix the problem. As far as I know that reward never worked that way in the past and they never changed the description to indicate that requirement.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I got hit with the same thing yesterday. I’ve redeemed for this the last couple months with no problem, so it’s a new issue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am having trouble figuring out Dev mode; got it activated, and when I switch my xbox over to dev mode, I connected it to my router and made sure it had internet access, created a login account for the dev xbox portal, and typed in the address it gave me, in my browser on my PC, but it said that site is not accessible. What am I missing? Unsure how to trouble shoot this and Microsofts help resources are not covering this possible problem.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Possible firewall/router issue? The address it gives you it just the local IP of the Xbox, so if it's connected to your internet but you can't access it from a PC then there's something going on at the router end of things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American McGay posted:

Possible firewall/router issue? The address it gives you it just the local IP of the Xbox, so if it's connected to your internet but you can't access it from a PC then there's something going on at the router end of things.

This is probably it then, how do I find my actual xbox IP?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It should just be on the screen when you boot into dev mode, but maybe I'm misremembering or not understanding your issue.

Have you booted into this screen yet?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American McGay posted:

It should just be on the screen when you boot into dev mode, but maybe I'm misremembering or not understanding your issue.

Have you booted into this screen yet?

Yes, the remote access part is where I am getting the URL to enter in my browser on my PC, but that URL just leads me to a page that doesnt exist message.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I'm guessing it has something to do with the ports then (that's what the :11443 is after the IP).

Try checking your router and opening all ports or something. idk I'm not a network guy.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

What's the exact error you're seeing in the browser? If it's a connection error, then yeah probably your router is preventing your PC from talking to your Xbox. Some routers have a security setting to prevent wifi devices from connecting to other devices on the LAN, I'd look at that if either your PC or Xbox are connected over wifi. If you're getting like "404 page does not exist" then your browser is talking to something.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Martman posted:

I'm pretty sure this is something they did not intend, or at least enough people are mad about it that they may fix the problem. As far as I know that reward never worked that way in the past and they never changed the description to indicate that requirement.

If this is intended/permanent it will make me very sad.

I just redeemed a couple more 3 month codes last week.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Laserface posted:

friendly reminder that Dolby Atmos for Headphones is amazing and you should all use it.

It's pretty drat amazing when listening to the demo sounds in the Atmos app itself, but I don't think I've heard it as nice as that in a game yet.

Any cool Atmos enabled games out there?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Turn it up louder than normal

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't want ruin my hearing, I only use a headset.

But I think No Mans Sky has some real cool surround sounds when using a headset since the next gen update.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Anyone know if there is a way to turn a single frame of a game clip into a screenshot, like the Switch can?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I know you’re probated right now, but check your PM’s if you can.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I got hit with the same thing yesterday. I’ve redeemed for this the last couple months with no problem, so it’s a new issue.

The problem seems to be that rewards is sending out promotional codes for new GPU customers instead of codes to add months. I got it resolved but it took some phone calls and it’s a relatively new problem.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Anyone know if there is a way to turn a single frame of a game clip into a screenshot, like the Switch can?

I'd go here https://gamerdvr.com/ and do it manually, not sure if there's an easier way.

The Destiny 2 patch is out, finally going to give this game a go now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the hype with Immortals? Looking at the vids - it seems pretty unremarkable.

I haven't really heard about it until now but a lot of goons seem to be excited for it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BonoMan posted:

What's the hype with Immortals? Looking at the vids - it seems pretty unremarkable.

I haven't really heard about it until now but a lot of goons seem to be excited for it.

Its a fun ubisoft game instead of a bloated booster sales mechanism

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Does anyone have any idea why I can't get the Madden 21 Trial to work? Every time I try to play it tells me the server is not working and I can't play the Trial version without connecting to the EA Servers. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wandler20 posted:

Does anyone have any idea why I can't get the Madden 21 Trial to work? Every time I try to play it tells me the server is not working and I can't play the Trial version without connecting to the EA Servers. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Do you have it through game pass or are you subbed through EA play only? Madden trial is broken through game pass. The EA forums are furious. I wasted time with it too.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Woot, just scored a Series S bundle from antonline.com with an extra controller, minecraft, and 3 months of gamepass ultimate. No tax, no shipping cost. :rock:

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I got the atmos app and have activated The trial, is this really worth £14?

Haven’t properly tried it yet.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Crafty posted:

I couldn't tell a difference at all, but I don't know what exactly is required for it to be supported. I'm routing optical out from my tv to an ancient receiver, but I was using a headset plugged into the xbox controller so I think that path should work fine but I dunno...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

John F Bennett posted:

It's pretty drat amazing when listening to the demo sounds in the Atmos app itself, but I don't think I've heard it as nice as that in a game yet.

Any cool Atmos enabled games out there?

The atmos windows app has a link to atmos enabled games on the windows store. The Xbox variants of them are also atmos enabled, borderlands 3 is one that is enabled too. But most games will work okay if you set it as surround sound in the sound options.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Nuts and Gum posted:

I couldn't tell a difference at all, but I don't know what exactly is required for it to be supported. I'm routing optical out from my tv to an ancient receiver, but I was using a headset plugged into the xbox controller so I think that path should work fine but I dunno...

Your headset has to have a wide dynamic range and have at least 40mm drivers for you to notice

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Celexi posted:

Your headset has to have a wide dynamic range and have at least 40mm drivers for you to notice

ooo i just got a new headset, I'll have to see if it's supported.

Speaking of that app, it seems like it also supports atmos from the speakers as well, right? My receiver does not support atmos so I couldn't test, but all of the labeling of the app specifically mentioned headphone use so I was confused if it worked for speaker arrangements as well?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Nuts and Gum posted:

ooo i just got a new headset, I'll have to see if it's supported.

Speaking of that app, it seems like it also supports atmos from the speakers as well, right? My receiver does not support atmos so I couldn't test, but all of the labeling of the app specifically mentioned headphone use so I was confused if it worked for speaker arrangements as well?

Yeah it supports atmos speakers too if you have an atmos receiver.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The actual surround sound is the same to me for Atmos and Windows Sonic. The biggest difference was the bass is more noticeable in Sonic and not in a good way. It's hard to describe but even in sounds that shouldn't be that deep it brought the boom a little more than I like. And I like bass. The Atmos is a little more nuanced for me. This is all subjective though and should be tested for each individual.

Also I should add, it's probably been a couple years since I tried Sonic so they could have had updates to make it better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Celexi posted:

I got the Atmos code with an Atmos headset and... still couldn't really tell a difference from just plain ole good surround. VVV nevermind then - I wouldn't bother with the app!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 8, 2020

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Note you don't need to pay to enable Atmos for speakers, just for headphones.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

BonoMan posted:

I got the Atmos code with an Atmos headset and... still couldn't really tell a difference from just plain ole good surround. VVV nevermind then - I wouldn't bother with the app!

What do you mean difference from good surround? If you mean it sounds as good as surround on headphones then its working as Intended, using the speaker option is just going to turn on atmos surround.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Celexi posted:

What do you mean difference from good surround? If you mean it sounds as good as surround on headphones then its working as Intended, using the speaker option is just going to turn on atmos surround.

Sorry - I meant like when I compared a Dolby Atmos specific sound source (the demos from the app) to just using the headphones with a non-Atmos source ... the difference was negligible. I never went "oh wow that blew me away!"

That make sense?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you have it through game pass or are you subbed through EA play only? Madden trial is broken through game pass. The EA forums are furious. I wasted time with it too.

Game pass. drat, was considering buying it but wanted to try it first since I haven't played Madden since 16.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jabro posted:

The actual surround sound is the same to me for Atmos and Windows Sonic. The biggest difference was the bass is more noticeable in Sonic and not in a good way. It's hard to describe but even in sounds that shouldn't be that deep it brought the boom a little more than I like. And I like bass. The Atmos is a little more nuanced for me. This is all subjective though and should be tested for each individual.

Also I should add, it's probably been a couple years since I tried Sonic so they could have had updates to make it better.

I find the bass response better with Atmos than Sonic, but then again my headphones are pretty balanced and I like a bit of bass.

Nuts and Gum posted:

it detects headphones and switches Atmos for Headphones on. this is if you have headphones plugged in or a puck style adapter. no idea about routing to external headphone base stations.

Crafty posted:

I think so but i actually tried it for myself.

John F Bennett posted:

I don't want ruin my hearing, I only use a headset.

But I think No Mans Sky has some real cool surround sounds when using a headset since the next gen update.

i mean like just a tiny bit over comfortably loud.

I definitely prefer it over windows sonic and the standard stereo headphone output. its a lot better than my old Astro mixamps "dolby surround for Headphones" which seemed to muddle the positional audio compared to stereo.

Im mostly playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare so maybe its a game that supports it? its an OS setting in the sound menu so I would have thought it allows all games to use it.

I can absolutely hear when someone is walking above me in COD, and the left/right positioning is way better than just stereo.

Im using it with my 10 year old Astro A40s so it qualifies the 40mm drivers, not sure if the WDR is there but it absolutely works.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm going to retry some stuff tonight and see if I notice a difference. I really didn't the first go around, but maybe I'm just missing something (very likely).

edit: I'm on a RIG800lx

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't care about Halo in the slightest but
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1336457238060257286

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It must have been in some absolute shite state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They should have just scrapped together whatever it is they had for multiplayer and made it a free-to-play Fortnitelike like everyone already assumed they were doing.