Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I already accepted I’ll get 0 days this year. I need to figure something out though or I’ll go crazy, already starting to get cabin fever.

Is getting a cross country ski setup for under $500 possible? If so how old is too old when looking at used? I know literally nothing about it but my backyard is up against a 36 hole golf course, scooting around it with my dogs doesn’t seem like a bad idea. I’m guessing $500 will only get me an outdated setup that will be miserable to use though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

XC gear is super cheap, relatively speaking. The only thing that really matters if you're just tooling around is that the boots fit, are compatible with the bindings, and the skis and poles are roughly the right size. If you want to race it gets expensive and you need just the right skis but sounds like that's not a problem.

I'd spend ~$100 on some well-fitting NNN boots and get a used pair of fishscale skis with NNN bindings. Those would be perfect for marching around a golf course or the woods, and you don't really need to worry too much about messing up the bases if that's all you're interested in. You could probably be on brand new gear for $300-$400 all-in if you look around. $500 would be a comfortable budget.

I wouldn't spend much money on 3-pin XC gear, but it would work for your use case. You're probably looking at old gear that hasn't seen use in a decade or two though, so make sure it's in functional condition.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
For boarding at least, stuff older than 2010 or so would be heavy and crappy. The technology has changed quite a lot. You don't have to be a weight weenie, but really heavy XC gear will make you have less fun.

But yeah, you can definitely still get oldish/cheap gear and upgrade it slowly over time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am starting to worry just a hair about renting a condo for a month in Colorado. Maybe, just maybe there might be some vaccine and improvement by February.....

I would still hold out faith so far. Colorado is just saying gently caress it all so it is only a matter of time before the numbers go down based on just our shear stupidity. The numbers will probably hover around 5000 per day (been that way since after labor day) for the next few months. If they are not going to close resorts now....then they just are not going to at all. Could be wrong of course.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
He didn't say whether he's worried about the resort closing, or just a high chance of death

Because you're right, one of those are unlikely, at the rate things are going.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ante posted:

He didn't say whether he's worried about the resort closing, or just a high chance of death

I worry about a lot of things, inclusive of the two you specifically mentioned.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Spime Wrangler posted:

XC gear is super cheap, relatively speaking. The only thing that really matters if you're just tooling around is that the boots fit, are compatible with the bindings, and the skis and poles are roughly the right size. If you want to race it gets expensive and you need just the right skis but sounds like that's not a problem.

I'd spend ~$100 on some well-fitting NNN boots and get a used pair of fishscale skis with NNN bindings. Those would be perfect for marching around a golf course or the woods, and you don't really need to worry too much about messing up the bases if that's all you're interested in. You could probably be on brand new gear for $300-$400 all-in if you look around. $500 would be a comfortable budget.

I wouldn't spend much money on 3-pin XC gear, but it would work for your use case. You're probably looking at old gear that hasn't seen use in a decade or two though, so make sure it's in functional condition.

Nice. Thanks, this was really helpful. Definitely going to look into getting some NNN stuff. I didn’t even know what I should be looking for so that helps a lot.

Yeah there’s 0% I’ll get into racing, I’m just getting over the PTSD of swim team practices through college. Even if I enjoy it I don’t see myself putting in the time to compete.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 7, 2020

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Also make sure you absolutely avoid any skis that require kick wax.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

Also make sure you absolutely avoid any skis that require kick wax.

I haven't skied on XC skis since the Clinton administration - have waxless skis gotten better since then? Growing up with a dad obsessed with XC skiing, he'd do our waxing and I was always a bit disappointed when I went out on fishscales. Even in conditions where we had to deal with klister it still felt better than fishscale skis.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I worry about a lot of things, inclusive of the two you specifically mentioned.

What's your biggest concern? I can tell you after several resort days this season, it feels really really safe to me.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Having someone do your waxing is an incredibly important part of enjoying waxed classic skis.

Fishscales are still slow as balls compared to wax, but they're also indestructible, climb better, and are way way better on ungroomed snow or marginal trails. Usually their bases are a tougher extruded plastic instead of a real base compound so they don't hold wax even in the glide zone, but you can ski over sticks and grass and poo poo and whatever scrapes they do get won't hurt performance much at all. They may also have softer flex or less camber, especially if they're designed for backcountry/off-trail use, which means the fishscales are dragging on the ground whenever they're weighted which will always be slower. They're my go-to loving-around exploring skis because they just work regardless of conditions or terrain.

The hot poo poo right now in the classic XC world is skin skis, which have the stiff, bodyweight-tuned double-camber structure of wax xc skis and a waxable base material for the glide zone, but use a patch of climbing skin underfoot for grip. They're definitely what you want if you have nice groomed trails nearby and that's where you'll spend most of your time. They function well at all temps but can really outshine wax in the 30F+ range, especially for long endurance events.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ante posted:

Fair. outside I would be too worried while skiing.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

i can’t help but spend at least 3-4 lift rides each session thinking “man, if this thing fell i would be hosed”

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

What's your biggest concern? I can tell you after several resort days this season, it feels really really safe to me.

I don't like sharing my gondy cabin and nobody was giving anybody space in the Silver Queen queue. Did not like that.

But the lift lines are generally fine because skis naturally create distance and sharing a chair with another single is nbd

I wouldn't say I feel really safe, but the risk is being managed to where I feel like the probability of me catching covid on the mountain is low, particularly at Aspen visitor levels. If the number of riders on mountain, say, quadrupled, I would start to be more concerned. And I'll feel better once we have lower incidence and positivity rates

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

I don't like sharing my gondy cabin and nobody was giving anybody space in the Silver Queen queue. Did not like that.

But the lift lines are generally fine because skis naturally create distance and sharing a chair with another single is nbd

I wouldn't say I feel really safe, but the risk is being managed to where I feel like the probability of me catching covid on the mountain is low, particularly at Aspen visitor levels. If the number of riders on mountain, say, quadrupled, I would start to be more concerned. And I'll feel better once we have lower incidence and positivity rates

If you don't like sharing a gondola or the gondola line then don't use the gondola. Skico has had Nell/Bell and/or 1A/Ruthie's open for that exact reason. I haven't been on the gondola once yet.

edit:

Also should add that Skico is limiting day ticket sales to 7,000 across all four mountains (for reference, I believe Breck averages 20k skier visits per day and Breck is smaller than Snowmass) so skier density should never be an issue this season especially once we get more terrain open.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 7, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/Al_of_Evergreen/status/1335750161620819970

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Scored a wicked deal on second hand xc boots, got these for 60 bucks

Three pin bindings and waxed skies till i die

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Those lift lines look like my own personal version of hell.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Sunshine this weekend was nuts, we showed up Sunday morning around 8:30 (gondola starts at 8, first chair 9) and the line was winding its way through three rows of parked cars with loads more people streaming in. Turned around and we're going back this afternoon instead.

Stole this from one of the local facebook groups, Saturday morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTSFUr2bjI

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Sunshine this weekend was nuts, we showed up Sunday morning around 8:30 (gondola starts at 8, first chair 9) and the line was winding its way through three rows of parked cars with loads more people streaming in. Turned around and we're going back this afternoon instead.

Stole this from one of the local facebook groups, Saturday morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTSFUr2bjI

drat.

People were up in arms about Vail's line for the village gondola over the weekend. It was hilariously short by comparison.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Nothing is worth waiting in line this long. Nothing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I suspect it'll be worse this year, with everyone having been cooped up.
I normally take the dog up hiking in the first snow at one of the local ski hills (before they open) and it's usually mostly empty, but this year it was packed with people boot-packing/skinning up.
Meanwhile I'm waiting for that promised La Nina. I'm not working again until January, and would love some days on the snow, but currently it isn't worth it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I planned on pretty much not skiing in the resort on the weekends but I am next weekend... so that will be something. Not really looking forward to it. We shall see.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

I planned on pretty much not skiing in the resort on the weekends but I am next weekend... so that will be something. Not really looking forward to it. We shall see.

It was a mistake getting a condo in Dillon and not Basalt/Carbondale

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

It was a mistake getting a condo in Dillon and not Basalt/Carbondale

haha. had I know I could do 3.5 day weekends all the time....

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nothing is worth waiting in line this long. Nothing.

To top it off, we haven't had any snow in literally a week now. People were lining up this long for skied off crusty garbage. What a season! This afternoon was fine, snow is still not great but at least we walked straight on to the gondola and rode straight on to every chair.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Making me feel very lucky I had the season I had down here, still kinda sad I cant go to BC this feb though :(

my trip in feb really cemented that I wanted to chase snow every year and now I may not get to do it again :(

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

MacPac posted:

Scored a wicked deal on second hand xc boots, got these for 60 bucks

Three pin bindings and waxed skies till i die

hell yes, those look like they're in fantastic condition

one of the best tele skiers I know spends probably half his backcountry skiing time in leathers like those and voile 3-pin cable bindings. I have no idea how he makes it work in the conditions he does, but he's also a machine.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Laserface posted:

Making me feel very lucky I had the season I had down here, still kinda sad I cant go to BC this feb though :(

my trip in feb really cemented that I wanted to chase snow every year and now I may not get to do it again :(

I checked your previous posts. Yeah Red is sick. The kootenay's as a whole have some pretty amazing skiing, especially of you do a cat skiing day or two. But if you're ever back in BC, definitely get to Revelstoke. I live in BC and it's a drive and a half to get there but it's worth it.

But yeah these Covid restrictions are getting to me. I'm not even allowed to go to Whistler Blackcomb. It's so close, but so far.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 8, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have to say today was great riding at Breck for the little snow we have. Zero lift lines and mostly soft runs from mid morning to afternoon.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Why are helmet colours all so boring this year. I need a new lid but everything is black or white or, at best, muted blue or something. Snooze. Gimme back that chartreuse.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

stratdax posted:

Why are helmet colours all so boring this year. I need a new lid but everything is black or white or, at best, muted blue or something. Snooze. Gimme back that chartreuse.
Oh you want a variety of colors?

https://www.ruroc.com/en_us/snow-sports/full-face-ski-helmets.html

You can feel free to thank me later.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I've decided that after many years, snowboarding just isn't for me. I'm just more comfortable on skis, especially getting into XC in recent years. I want to sell my gear, but I'm really not sure how much I should ask. I've got, barely used:

Libtech T. Rice Pro deck
Burton Mission bindings
Nike Kaiju boots

Apologies in advance if this seems a poo poo post, but I figure some folks in here might know how I can price this fairly so that I can put the money towards a set of skis. I honestly don't recall what I paid for it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Check the Snowboard Trader Facebook group for comparable pricing and also as a place to sell. Ebay is ok too but don't look to Ebay too seriously for pricing because some people put up some unreasonable prices up for stuff that ends up never selling. The Missons are unlikely to be worth much but you might do surprisingly well on the boots since Nike doesn't make snowboarding gear anymore and some people love them.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
What size is the board?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Local mountain is already completely booked for parking reservations through March.

Certainly love buying a season pass and not being able to use it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've skied and boarded most of my life but I've never cross-country skied. I am thinking about getting into it this winter as I am intrigued about the exercise (I work out a lot) and also the idea of skiing without crowds. I'm finding some areas by Big Bear that rent cross-country skis and have trails.

I was wondering if this thread has any advice before I try this the first time.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I tried it a few years ago and really liked it a lot. Just go demo it one day before you buy. Took a bit to get used to it, but got the hang of it in about an hour. It's very straightforward starting out, obviously if you want to be a pro that's different.

I would have an xc setup myself if I didn't have big rear end resorts to skin up or mellow BC spots to tour. Or honestly even if there were places to xc nearer to me than said resorts.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Planet X posted:

Libtech T. Rice Pro deck
Burton Mission bindings
Nike Kaiju boots

What size are the boots? Those and the board will have the most value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

highme posted:

What size are the boots? Those and the board will have the most value.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

What size is the board?

The deck is a 157. Boots are US 10.5

kiimo posted:

I've skied and boarded most of my life but I've never cross-country skied. I am thinking about getting into it this winter as I am intrigued about the exercise (I work out a lot) and also the idea of skiing without crowds. I'm finding some areas by Big Bear that rent cross-country skis and have trails.

I was wondering if this thread has any advice before I try this the first time.

I 'switched' to XC skiing about 10 years ago and I absolutely love it. No lift lines, gear is cheap, and you're out in it without paying an expensive lift ticket or waiting in lift lines. It's not for everyone, but it's for me. Here on the Mid Atlantic, our snow is less consistent, so I have to be opportunistic about skiing, and this lets me go out my front door to the park or golf course to enjoy the day in a matter of minutes.