Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I typically make characters who resemble myself in most ways, which is why I always put together all the most useless skills in my Morrowind runs and name the class "Liberal Arts Major". Then I spend 30 hours striking out with the local shop wench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a consensus in the reviews on whether male or female V has the best voice acting?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

rap music posted:

gonna lol when it's just a printed out download code in a box

I mean yes, who uses discs in 2020. I got it because CDPR always puts some neat stuff in the box, plus the BB one came with a rad lookin steelbook for my code in a box.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Cactus posted:

I enjoy playing female characters in games, but wouldn't want to become female in real life. Just the same as I enjoy playing psychotic murderers in games, and would not want to become one irl. Also, growing up playing games there wasn't very much opportunity to play anything but a straightwhitedude. In recent years that issue has been in the process of getting fixed, and due to that I enjoy picking the options I never really could before, like different genders or ethnicities, just for the variety if nothing else.
Same here, when I play games I always play explicitly as 'another character' rather than 'myself'. Maybe it's a side-effect of being a girl and growing up playing countless games with male protagonists, but I've never seen myself in the characters I've played, even if I could create my own characters. I guess the best way I can put it is, when I play a roleplaying game I see it almost as a collaborative story exercise where I create a character that fits into the world of the game and has their own worldview.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I will play whichever gender allows the most oppirtunity to engage in personal responsibility

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The Last Call posted:

I don't remember if there were any patches for two and three when they released or not but I played them just fine. Never saw any bugs. Never had any issues.

Later CDPR did make changes that helped some issues people had but I was never one of those people. I played the games and loved them as they were.

I meant Witcher 3, should have been more precise. But I remember stories about how bad the horse control used to be and how Roach could spawn in random places.

I bought Witcher after the first big QoL patch so I never really remember any big bug except I had two instances of health potion instead of just one.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think CDPR games have typically had bugs that were amazingly funny/bizarre, but not necessarily common? Like I don't think I ever had anything exceptionally weird happen in hours and hours of Witcher 1/2/3.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PerilPastry posted:

Is there a consensus in the reviews on whether male or female V has the best voice acting?

Anecdotally I've seen female V's performance praised multiple times but no comments on male V one way or another. Don't take my word for it completely as this happens to line up perfectly with my existing bias from the trailers

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

Cool, a cis guy telling a trans person what is and isn't trans

Lol great thread

:chanpop:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

I think CDPR games have typically had bugs that were amazingly funny/bizarre, but not necessarily common? Like I don't think I ever had anything exceptionally weird happen in hours and hours of Witcher 1/2/3.

1 had some weird initial design decisions (the first area wolf fight being the #1 killer of playthroughs), but I don't recall anything egregious.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Lets not kid ourselves here: This is a Early Access launch. If you're fine with that, okay. If you're not okay with EA type launches just wait a month or so and enjoy the bug montage video's that are gonna come out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, surely all NPCs missing pants would qualify?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Cactus posted:

Also, growing up playing games there wasn't very much opportunity to play anything but a straightwhitedude. In recent years that issue has been in the process of getting fixed, and due to that I enjoy picking the options I never really could before, like different genders or ethnicities, just for the variety if nothing else.

This is why I enjoy playing lady characters in games too, it's honestly refreshing/interesting to see the story from a different perspective than your average straightwhitedude videogameprotagonist

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rap music posted:

gonna lol when it's just a printed out download code in a box

The console versions are on two blu-ray discs.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

BexGu posted:

Lets not kid ourselves here: This is a Early Access launch. If you're fine with that, okay. If you're not okay with EA type launches just wait a month or so and enjoy the bug montage video's that are gonna come out.

I'm just glad I didn't pre-order. Waiting at least a week seems to be the smart thing.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Should we have a separate thread for discussions of gender politics in this game and stick to gameplay in this one? This seems to come up from time to time with some games and completely ruins the thread. Maybe just a general gender politics in games mega thread that you can discuss all games, including this one it?

I know it's difficult to separate such comments and people are gonna post, but it would be nice.

I don't want to shut down such discussion, but it kind of drowns out everything else and creates a lot of unnecessary conflict.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

Honestly, what's always seemed weird to me are people who specifically try to make their ingame character be exactly like they are IRL

That's great, and that is something called your own personal opinion.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you're going to wait I think you have to weigh bugs vs spoilers. I don't want to be spoiled at all so it's a somewhat large consideration for me

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Anecdotally I've seen female V's performance praised multiple times but no comments on male V one way or another. Don't take my word for it completely as this happens to line up perfectly with my existing bias from the trailers

yeah, from what little I've seen I definitely dig her performance the most. Still, it doesn't look like we're talking a massive difference in VA quality like in the last two AssCreeds

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Hamelekim posted:

Should we have a separate thread for discussions of gender politics in this game and stick to gameplay in this one? This seems to come up from time to time with some games and completely ruins the thread. Maybe just a general gender politics in games mega thread that you can discuss all games, including this one it?

I know it's difficult to separate such comments and people are gonna post, but it would be nice.

I don't want to shut down such discussion, but it kind of drowns out everything else and creates a lot of unnecessary conflict.

Let's see how it goes a day or two after the game is actually out. I know people expressed wanting a spoiler thread.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

Cool, a cis guy telling a trans person what is and isn't trans

Lol great thread

Nice meltdown OP

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hamelekim posted:

Should we have a separate thread for discussions of gender politics in this game and stick to gameplay in this one? This seems to come up from time to time with some games and completely ruins the thread.

I don't think it ruins the thread, except for people who thread poo poo, and good discussion shouldn't be driven off by those assholes, because then they win

Edit: Haha, TWO people thread poo poo while I was typing that. Jesus lol

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Bleusilences posted:

I meant Witcher 3, should have been more precise. But I remember stories about how bad the horse control used to be and how Roach could spawn in random places.

I bought Witcher after the first big QoL patch so I never really remember any big bug except I had two instances of health potion instead of just one.

It wasn't until I had beaten the game and started to look at the witcher threads that I saw the pictures and vids with Roach, I laughed my rear end off. I was actually a bit annoyed that I never saw anything of the sort in my game. It was so funny, I don't think it was that common but people definitely talked about it enough that it became a meme for years after.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

house of the dad posted:

That's great, and that is something called your own personal opinion.

I do not think this is helpful or necessary or entertaining.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

looking like the white version of this dude:

so unless I can *snaps fingers* present like:

I'm not interested. The real life technology just isn't there yet, so I'm content to not rock the boat and just work with what I got, and keep doing the girl thing virtually

sean10mm posted:

e: More seriously I wish people could just be what they want and not get any grief for it.

VR has a lot of potential to allow people to be (or even try out) whatever body type or shape they want, and I think that's really special.

You already see the furry community completely embracing VR so they can meet up while effectively being their fursonas. I really look forward to what this could do to open society to new ways of thinking.

Voices are another challenge but the technology is coming together.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I don't play many games so I think the only game I've played where you can pick your gender is... Mass effect 2? I tried playing around with customizing your look but after having to go through that drat 20 minute opening everytime until you finally get to see what it looks like in-game, I finally just picked default male for one playthrough and default female for the other. When I get around to buying cyberpunk in a month I'll just pick default female and be done with it.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

The Last Call posted:

It wasn't until I had beaten the game and started to look at the witcher threads that I saw the pictures and vids with Roach, I laughed my rear end off. I was actually a bit annoyed that I never saw anything of the sort in my game. It was so funny, I don't think it was that common but people definitely talked about it enough that it became a meme for years after.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

No offense, but isn't the voice controlling the gender more progressive than the body type selecting the gender? The game letting you select your gender separate of man/woman bodies isn't good? Yes, voice goes with it, which kinda makes sense for a scifi future? Because who wouldn't change the voice if he is going to change genders?
My supposition here is that in the dark future of Cyberpunk 2077, voice modifications are easily done, so anyone who wants to be considered a different gender than the default one have that. That was legit the first thing I thought about that. Maybe I'm a ' I see the the glass half full always' type of person.

There are more languages than English in the world. Thanks, imperialist american pig! :bahgawd:

It's more of a missed opportunity slash CDPR half-assing it. Being able to select vocal tone and pronouns independently of one another at chargen would be an extra step forward in representation.

CDPR could have also gone for the extra credit move of non-gendered pronouns and a specifically enby vocal tone - but again, one part missed opportunity to one part half-assed representation.

This isn't to say that decoupling body from gender in a big AAA game even a little bit is a good move, just that there's opportunity to do even better.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

I don't think it ruins the thread, except for people who thread poo poo, and good discussion shouldn't be driven off by those assholes, because then they win

I don't think people calling out your weirdly aggressive posts is thread making GBS threads. You should post less like an idiot.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

you panicked when someone rightfully told you men can wear dresses and it doesn't necessarily make them trans. you're gonna need to sit this one out, maybe have a cooler head before continuing this line of discussion

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

stratdax posted:

I don't play many games so I think the only game I've played where you can pick your gender is... Mass effect 2? I tried playing around with customizing your look but after having to go through that drat 20 minute opening everytime until you finally get to see what it looks like in-game, I finally just picked default male for one playthrough and default female for the other. When I get around to buying cyberpunk in a month I'll just pick default female and be done with it.

A lot of games these days allow you to pick your gender and customize it. Not all but a very good portion of famous titles even make it possible. I've played as men in some and women in others, why? For kicks. To have fun. No real reason beyond that, to me that was part of the charm for said games, to be whatever you be and go wild if you wanted.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hamelekim posted:

I'm not sure how you can really separate discussions about gender politics in a cyberpunk game from gameplay. You're going to have to stick your head reeeeealy far in the sand to keep the two from mixing. The punk genre is inherently political and cyberpunk is queer coded as gently caress and a lot of people are finding that out the hard way that the newest AAA title is pretty queer and political in places and that the queer folk of the LGBTQ+ community are also pretty political and they have expectations too as they consume the genre and play games too.

Good luck separating the two. Punk is political and when people talk politics they argue.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 8, 2020

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hamelekim posted:

I think this is on point. See ResetEra for an extreme but real example of this happening, hopefully we dont become that.

Luckily the game isnt actually out yet so theres nothing else to talk about, which means the thread will get way better tomorrow evening.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Saints Row 2 had the gender slider, which was really cool, and 3 had decoupled voice/personality from physical appearance, which I also found really cool

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
Was this already posted? Hidden title card in new trailer

https://i.redd.it/ur4nw6jy90461.png

"The wait for Cyberpunk 2077 is almost over. It's been quite the journey, and first of all we want to thank all of you for being with us along the way. We know there's a fair amount of anticipation for the game, and very soon you will all be able to decide whether or not we lived up to the hype.

Launch day is always a mix of excitement and constant nerve-wracking, and with this being the first game we've developed that isn't titled 'The Witcher', we'd be lying if we said we weren't anxious to see what you think once you've sunk your teeth into it. With this launch trailer, we're just about ready to flick the switch and see Cyberpunk 2077 go from ours to become yours.

We set out to create our most immersive world yet, and we believe that the stories waiting for you to uncover, and the relationships you'll forge during your time in Night City, will stick with you for quite some time.

We've mentioned before that expansions will be coming, and while we're not ready to talk specifics just yet, we will say that we've learned a lot from our work on both Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine. Our planned expansions will take you even deeper into the world of Cyberpunk 2077 offering substantial, story-driven content that'll give you tough choices to make through impactful narratives that you won't soon forget.

But before we get there, we'll first be kicking off our free DLC program in early 2021. Just like with The Witcher 3, expect an assortment of free DLC packs to begin hitting Night City, dropping a bunch of cool stuff that'll inject even more life into the world of the dark future. We hope you're looking forward to them!

We want to end this message with a request. Once you play/finished the game, we would love it if you got back to us and told us who your V was. Our forums and social media are there for you. We want to know how you found Night City and what choices you made. We created a huge world for you to jump into, tell us your story."

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

It might be silly of me to say but I've been secretly wanting to see one of my cars in Cyberpunk 2077 end up on a roof so I can shout "It's Roach!"

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Isn't this a future hellscape nightmare where we ruined the Earth and organize in small areas dominated by massive supercities? Isn't it probably true that as a society we didn't master gender relations and sexual issues?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you panicked when someone rightfully told you men can wear dresses and it doesn't necessarily make them trans

What? No I didn't? :confused:

I'm literally the first person who would say that clothing shouldn't be gendered. I say that all the time!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

being an rear end in a top hat behind the Shield of Correct Opinion is extremely counter productive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually most of the drama and shitposting from the last 3 days has revolved around posters coming in here with links to resetERA and all their bogus psychopathic drama. Maybe we can leave those psychos alone and if you wanna touch the poop you can make a discord and stop bringing that poo poo up in here. We’ve had exactly ZERO constructive takes on them, it’s just smearing poo poo on the walls.