Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lamuella posted:

If anyone's interested in an academic discussion of wrestling, I can recommend The Grappling Arts podcast.

Basically it's the inhouse podcast of Wrestling Resurgence, a Leicester based promotion owned and run by academics from the University of Loughbrough who are interested in wrestling as performance. Each episode, all recorded during lockdown, they've interviewed a wrestler who has worked for them about the matches that influence the way they wrestle and the matches they've been in that they think represent them the best. I can highly recommend the Kanji and Charlie Evans episode, and especially the Spike Trivet one, which gets really deep into the idea of character in wrestling.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-grappling-arts-podcast/id1515731953

A quick word of warning is that being an academic podcast it's produced like an academic podcast, so the tone and production can be a bit dry, especially in the early episodes, but the discussion is really fascinating.

Is the promotion any good at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

oh but seriously I posted:

Is the promotion any good at all?

I really like it. They produce a similar sort of product to Riptide. Very character-led, very much focused on performance, and they've produced some outstanding matches. The Spike Trivet vs Cara Noir one is a favourite of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Unz69XIOU

They also did an amazing 3 match series with Charli Evans vs Kanji (singles match, 2/3 falls, Iron Woman match) which isn't available online for free but has breathtaking storytelling.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Does this guy know Bryan's a shooter?

https://twitter.com/MikeJ0nesssssss/status/1335743818797355020?s=19

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

didn't bryan and filthy tom roll once and both said it was closer than you think it would be considering bryan is 4 feet tall and tom used to fight professionally

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

maybe he wants to get his arm broken.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The Bryan Alverez open challenge would be a hit on twitch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

didn't bryan and filthy tom roll once and both said it was closer than you think it would be considering bryan is 4 feet tall and tom used to fight professionally

If we based this on his professional career Tom dominated early then pretty much gave up and Bryan came back for the win.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Dave being absolutely unwilling to accept that Tana is being moved to Dad status is hilarious.

dave's right, tho

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Chico stretching WWE superfans would be hilarious.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

No, he knows with complete certainty that he won't. If there was even an inkling that he would, he wouldn't be saying a thing.

Yeah he's doing the Mark Twain Million Pound Bank Note thing of using the idea that he's going to be involved to get him more clout among the people who aren't following the process.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
It's the most wonderful time of the year!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1335816158470172673

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Chico stretching WWE superfans would be hilarious.

keep them in a submission until they admit who won the demo

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

shoot power-knuckle hold

Popeston
Feb 1, 2009

Urbi et Orci
Has Dave always gone "Bing bing bing bing bing" and I just haven't noticed until now?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Bryan desperately trying to talk Dave down from saying Orton is bad

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

OctoberCountry posted:

Bryan saying hes coming to this conclusion after having a match on raw against Bray Wyatt in his mister rogers outfit got a laugh out of me.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

OctoberCountry posted:

100% agree that Orton is completely milquetoast.

e: WWE booking is tearing Bryan and Dave apart :ohdear:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 8, 2020

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Just listened to CM Punk on Renee’s podcast. Really enjoyable. His usual charming yet prickly self. He sounded more warm about a return to wrestling than anything I’ve heard previously, but still not likely to happen. Check it out if you’re a fellow Punk Mark.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Dave's BTE re-caps continue to be great

"So Adam Page is essentially a liquor mouse"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dango Bango posted:

100% agree that Orton is completely milquetoast.

e: WWE booking is tearing Bryan and Dave apart :ohdear:

Yeah, Dave's right; Orton is incredibly boring and has been massively overrated by WWE management for his entire career.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Orton sucks.

I wanna poo poo in his gym bag

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, Dave's right; Orton is incredibly boring and has been massively overrated by WWE management for his entire career.

It really hit me when Dave asked what memorable Orton matches there were besides Foley and Edge this year. I legit can't think of one that stands out.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dango Bango posted:

It really hit me when Dave asked what memorable Orton matches there were besides Foley and Edge this year. I legit can't think of one that stands out.

There’s the Christian series and a decent Mark Henry match but I really can’t think of many Orton matches above the four star level.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Orton match I would point to for years was the Shawn Michaels match where the superkick was banned but that match was 12 years ago the guy needs to go and have another good match.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There was the main event of WM30 but it had nothing at all to do with Orton

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The problem isn't really "Orton is bad and doesn't have a lot of 4 star matches" it's that not many guys from WWE over the last 20 years do. I'd really be interested to see someone go through the last 15 years of observers and tally up the star ratings for each guy. I'll bet each major WWE guy is probably averaging less that 3.5 stars.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I remember when Orton won the title for the first time from ______ but I was there live and the rest of that show was completely unmemorable. That was also in 2004.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

he's really good just old now

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I've got his Mania 31 match with Rollins and his Hell in a Cell match with Jeff Hardy both at *** 3/4. His Jericho match at 2014 Night of Champions was about four stars.

He's more talented than his match output would show, supposedly, but at some point if you're a good worker, you have good matches, right?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

As far as I’m aware he’s almost everyone’s favourite wrestler to work with because he’s super sound and smooth as a worker, so he’ll never carelessly hurt you or make your stuff look like poo poo or be out of position for a spot, but that doesn’t really translate into exciting matches

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Orton is one of the most talented guys I have no interest in. He wrestles absolutely sound matches that don't get me excited. He cuts skillful promos that leave me cold. He has decently executed storylines that I don't care about.

He is an entirely well produced unit of TV quality wrestling product.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

He's never had a match that makes you go "holy poo poo...hell loving yes!!!"

All of Orton's best moments can be expressed in five second gifs

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lamuella posted:

He cuts skillful promos that leave me cold.

I can't even give him that much since he does the same promo voice as Low Ki. I get it if other wrestlers like working with him because he's safe and not a klutz but I'm a fan watching these matches and 95% of them are super boring.

PaybackJack posted:

The problem isn't really "Orton is bad and doesn't have a lot of 4 star matches" it's that not many guys from WWE over the last 20 years do. I'd really be interested to see someone go through the last 15 years of observers and tally up the star ratings for each guy. I'll bet each major WWE guy is probably averaging less that 3.5 stars.

True, but most WWE guys aren't constantly put over as one of the best ever by every retired legend under contract, either.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I think part of it might be that, for whatever reason, Orton has had a habit of choking as far as putting on quality PPV matches. There are exceptions—he had a strong run of PPV matches in 2011, for example (better because he was a babyface, maybe?)—but when I think about Orton matches I like that aren't the big famous ones, they're usually TV matches and often much better than his PPV matches with the same opponents. The Daniel Bryan PPV feud was famously tepid in the ring, but they had excellent matches on TV a few months earlier. The Benoit rematch on Raw the night after the title switch was better than the PPV match. (Their SmackDown feud with Orton as Booker T's proxy in the best of seven series was really strong, too.) The awesome 2006 match with Rey was on SmackDown. And so on. Again, there are exceptions, but by and large, he has a history of being much more consistent on TV than on PPV.

The best guess I can think of is that he has a certain philosophy for working a big match that's very deliberate, but he's not pacing himself that way for TV? It would explain why he has a bunch of fun mid-card to upper mid-card WrestleMania matches, too, because when you look at them, he didn't really have the time to do The Randy Orton Thing in them:

vs. Undertaker at WM21 was just over 14 minutes.
vs. Angle and Rey at WM22 was just over 9 minutes.
vs. Triple H and Cena at WM24 was, again, just over 14 minutes.
vs. Punk at WM27 was just under 15 minutes.
vs. Rollins at WM31 was just over 13 minutes.

The best of the long ones, the WM30 main event vs. Bryan and Batista (23+ minutes), meanwhile, is one where the layout clearly had a lot of outside creative input to resolve the dangling storyline threads (and, maybe, get the crowd back from Brock ending The Undertaker's streak) and isn't A Randy Orton Match at all.

So maybe it's this and I figured it out? Even if the arguable best performance of his career (this year vs. Edge in The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever) was super long and not really worked as A Randy Orton Match.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Remember when they edited the WM31 match after the fact and cut out the curbstomp into RKO spot?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Remember when they edited the WM31 match after the fact and cut out the curbstomp into RKO spot?

haha what, jfc

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Endless Mike posted:

You mean they cut out the only memorable thing about that match?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insertnamehere31 posted:

You mean they cut out the only memorable thing about that match?
Oh wait, I'm wrong. They edited out him curbstomping Roman in the main event.

I could have sworn they did it in the Orton match, too, but I can't find anything to verify that.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

OctoberCountry posted:

oh please be the end of Dave bemoaning Orton not being in the Hall of Fame and he's realised what we already knew for years