Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Scorpions and tarantulas wont attack you if you're not approaching them with a net so idle is fine.

AC is very receptive to staying still. Only thing that might annoy you is if a balloon glides past that you miss or theres shooting stars youre failing to wish on, but otherwise all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Morter posted:

I have a really dumb question: What happens in Animal Crossing when the game is left idle? Does it punish you at all? Can anything possibly rewarding happen (like balloons in the old games), etc?
You'll get a lot more balloon spawns and also have a better chance at witnessing rain which will give all your flowers a chance at reproducing. Bugs won't attack unless you make the first move.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

If you wind up hosting your island online you'd have to keep it from going idle and disconnecting, but that's about it!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Mister Facetious posted:

Rocket Arena (about to die or already dead)

Rocket arena is pretty alive at the moment as it's on gamepass and playstation plus

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The worst that can happen in an idle state on AC is that a spider or scorpion might night you at night and that is very unlikely.

You say that, but when I saw a spider, I went for my net and he went for the sting. Friggin' ow. Okay, wind up at my house, no big. So I respawn at my door and *guess who is there*?

I can't believe that I got corpse camped by a spider.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Celexi posted:

Rocket arena is pretty alive at the moment as it's on gamepass and playstation plus

:unsmith:

Well, that's good I guess.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Aerofallosov posted:

I can't believe that I got corpse camped by a spider.

One day I finished up at the store and on my way out, got mugged by a scorpion. They're vicious.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Game sounds more dangerous than I thought... :ohdear:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Again though, the very worst thing that can happen when you get attacked is you wind up at your house.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

abelwingnut posted:

speaking of, are there modern equivalents of ut? i dislike almost every fps for trying to be...'realistic' is the best way i know to describe it.

on other hand, ut was bonkers. it wanted to create as much mayhem as possible in an arcade-like manner. it was kind of like the mario kart of the fps world? i'd love to play something like that again.
There was a UT4! I'm pretty sure it's free to play. I remember playing it a few years ago. IIRC it was in alpha stage and you got it through Epic's launcher. Here's some footage of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_LrzeBSoMI

I'm not sure what the current state of it is. The website is still up for it so I guess it's still playable. If it is, give it a shot! I remember having fun with it, and I was a big fan of UT99 back in the day so I was glad it played well.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/en-US/#splash

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Diabotical seemed like a really cool non class based arena shooter but lmao if I'm installing origin on my computer to find out

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Rageaholic posted:

There was a UT4! I'm pretty sure it's free to play. I remember playing it a few years ago. IIRC it was in alpha stage and you got it through Epic's launcher. Here's some footage of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_LrzeBSoMI

I'm not sure what the current state of it is. The website is still up for it so I guess it's still playable. If it is, give it a shot! I remember having fun with it, and I was a big fan of UT99 back in the day so I was glad it played well.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/en-US/#splash

The current state is "it's not Fortnite so it doesn't make any sense to have anyone working on it".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's Xonotic, which works quite well as a Q3/UT replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6PF0K5sN4

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Fortnite but on Facing Worlds

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

The current state is "it's not Fortnite so it doesn't make any sense to have anyone working on it".

Yep the last update was over 3 years ago, it's extremely dead. At this point if they wanted to resume development it would probably be easier to start over than to catch up on ~10 major UE4 versions.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is there any gameplay benefit to playing from the console rather than the micro sd card?
Loading from console memory might be marginally faster, but not enough to make it worth shuffling games around.

Since only console memory can be used for save data I made a point of installing games only to SD card to keep console memory free. Now that you can (easily) move games between console and SD it's less important to do to keep it free, but I'd still like to preserve erase cycles on the console since I can't replace that as easily a SD card.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think the people at Panic Button may, in fact, be a small studio full of actual wizards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QfdLa3beHs

edit: Nintendo should buy them and then license out the games they want on their platform from their original producers and tell them to go nuts, I bet they could get just about anything released before 2020 running given enough time and money

edit2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQj6g3-N4yI

god drat wizards (apparently the motion controls are both endlessly customizable and really well-done, and while it doesn't look the most impressive it holds steady at 30FPS)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 9, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DC Murderverse posted:

I think the people at Panic Button may, in fact, be a small studio full of actual wizards

edit: Nintendo should buy them and then license out the games they want on their platform from their original producers and tell them to go nuts, I bet they could get just about anything released before 2020 running given enough time and money

edit2:

god drat wizards (apparently the motion controls are both endlessly customizable and really well-done, and while it doesn't look the most impressive it holds steady at 30FPS)
The madmen actually went and did it again :eyepop:

Of course it looks blurrier and runs at 30FPS, but while those were also true of DOOM (2016) on Switch, I played through that whole thing and it was certainly playable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Panic Button are absolute legends. Their port of Warframe was a masterpiece.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AC:NH is so conducive to going idle/afk it literally doesn’t even have a Pause function lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I wish Rocket league would use those guys for their switch port.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish Nintendo/ GameFreak would use them for... all their games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's not that hard to set your game up with a dynamic resolution scaler with no lower limit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Celexi posted:

I wish Rocket league would use those guys for their switch port.

But...

Did I miss the joke?

I did, didn't I?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They need to lock the Switch Doom Eternal team into a room with Cyberpunk 2070 and tell them not to come out till it works.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

anyone have doom eternal yet? how is it?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

They need to lock the Switch Doom Eternal team into a room with Cyberpunk 2070 and tell them not to come out till it works.

Seeing as Cyberpunk doesn't work now, that's a death sentence.

Edit: Sorry, I though you meant a port. Still a death sentence though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DC Murderverse posted:

edit2:

Lol at Outer Worlds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

anyone have doom eternal yet? how is it?

My gf got it for me as an early xmas gift and it feels like magic. Obviously it is still a downgrade visually, that you'll notice more docked, but I can't believe it plays as well as it does. It somehow feels like an even better port than Doom 2016.

I find this work way more impressive to me than anything I played on Xbox Series X last week. I really appreciate amazing ports these days.

I now have every single Doom game on my Switch and that makes me want the Doom Slayer in Smash even more.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 9, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

My gf got it for me as an early xmas gift and it feels like magic. Obviously it is still a downgrade visually, that you'll notice more docked, but I can't believe it plays as well as it does. It somehow feels like an even better port than Doom 2016.

I find this work way more impressive to me than anything I played on Xbox Series X last week. I really appreciate amazing ports these days.

I now have every single Doom game on my Switch and that makes me want the Doom Slayer in Smash even more.

I imagine it helps that Doom Eternal was crazy loving optimized even in its original release. It was able to run smooth as butter on all but the toasteryiest of toasters. It was genuinely one of the absolute best PC releases I've ever played in that regard.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My copy of Immortals Ayn Randing arrived today, I think I'll save it for the weekend though so I can dive in for hours

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Doom Eternal actually somehow runs half decently on my old i3 gtx470 rig despite it refusing to get above 20fps for doom 2016 which is pretty funny considering I basically built a new machine for Doom Eternal after only really getting to play 2016 on console

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hedrigall posted:

My copy of Immortals Ayn Randing arrived today, I think I'll save it for the weekend though so I can dive in for hours

I'd be curious what you think of it.

To me it looks really... tepid, I guess.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Why are you calling it that? Is there some connection I don't know about?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I'd be curious what you think of it.

To me it looks really... tepid, I guess.

It's basically like store-brand BotW. It's perfectly playable and the dungeons have some neat gimmicks but it spends every single moment of the game asking you to compare it directly to either BotW or Assassin's Creed.

Like if you are feeling like you want more BotW that you're willing to accept the knockoff brand it's better at it than Genshin Impact just by not being microtransaction-laden. (Though GI looks better by a significant degree.) However you'll probably spend every moment playing it thinking how BotW was better unless you'd prefer a game without weapon durability.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 9, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Achmed Jones posted:

Why are you calling it that? Is there some connection I don't know about?

It's just me being silly about the silly name of the game

Hedrigall posted:

I’m gonna get some of my jokes out about the title of Immortals Fenyx Rising now ok

Immortals Phoenix Wrighting
Immortals Hooked On Monkey Phonyx Rising
Immortals Teledildonyx Rising

Hedrigall posted:

E: Immortals Fezzik Princess Briding

Hedrigall posted:

My copy of Immortals Shiraz Riesling is coming in the mail either today or tomorrow,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
why did they spell it Fenyx

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Bleck posted:

why did they spell it Fenyx

Phoenix was copyrighted

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU