Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Sportsman's Guide almost always has a bunch of military surplus shovels for relatively cheap to choose from.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=shovel

edit: poo poo they have Itialian surplus shovels from the first World War for <$20 I'm getting one of those LOL

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/italian-military-surplus-wwi-field-shovel-for-vehicles-used?a=2184717

rockear fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rockear posted:

Sportsman's Guide almost always has a bunch of military surplus shovels for relatively cheap to choose from.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=shovel

edit: poo poo they have Itialian surplus shovels from the first World War for <$20 I'm getting one of those LOL

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/italian-military-surplus-wwi-field-shovel-for-vehicles-used?a=2184717

That’s legit neat! I kinda want one

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

OSU_Matthew posted:

That’s legit neat! I kinda want one

I can vouch for Sportsman's Guide. They sold me a really nice surplus Gore-Tex rain jacket from the Belgian postal service. Top blokes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My brain can't process the absurdity of buying a WWI shovel over the internet for under $20.

It's so cool, and so weird.

(and that's not all the WWI stuff they have, there's wire cutters from Italy I noticed too)

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Recently watched season 3 of Alone and the guy the won's main tool was one of those Spetznaz shovels. His praise for it got edited into the footage quite a bit. Glad to know what they're actually called because I wanted to add one to the bin. Gonna point out those Italian WWI shovels to a couple of Gambler500 folks I know because that's a perfect "Slap this poo poo on the side of your $500 Tercel in case you get into some poo poo" shovel.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was watching a program on TV once with a former Spetsnaz guy and he did this.

Just watch the first 6 or so seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0E6oDvjLUs

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

I can vouch for Sportsman's Guide. They sold me a really nice surplus Gore-Tex rain jacket from the Belgian postal service. Top blokes

About ten years ago I bought a surplusssed M-16 parts kit from Sportsmans Guide that definitely included some of the giggle switch no-no bits. Only thing missing from a felony was the auto sear and a cutout on the receiver

What I’m trying to say, is that they have some really neat poo poo :q:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Sportsmans Guide and Musicians friend catalogues were basically always next to my toilet growing up. They were notorious for their catalogues and now I think they stopped doing that for non-customers for the most part

Sportsmansguide definitely has some interesting stuff and often at great prices. It used to be a great place to get wool blankets and car camping gear. I stopped paying attention when I got into backpacking as their stuff wasn't very suitable.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I still use my huge magnesium snowshoes from Sportsman Warehouse! Have also lucked out with some lobster mittens with wool liners, and some good wool blankets. Always interesting to browse their surplus section from time to time.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah they're definitely more geared towards car campers and hunters than backpackers. I did get a pretty good deal on a water filter there recently, and I think they have a decent selection of stoves. Their best deals are on 6 pairs of French Postal Service pants for $11.99 though, or a Canadian firefighter's Gore Tex jacket for $60 or whatever.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been trying to find a good outdoorsy webbing belt for a while and have gone through several mediocre ones, but I just got a Grip6 and am very happy with it. Well built, light, durable material, easy to put on, and looks nice imo

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been trying to find a good outdoorsy webbing belt for a while and have gone through several mediocre ones, but I just got a Grip6 and am very happy with it. Well built, light, durable material, easy to put on, and looks nice imo

I've had one from Bison Designs for at least eight years and it has held up really well. It was made in Colorado.

https://bisondesigns.com/products/1

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So the Trekkertent Stealth 1.5 I ordered arrived yesterday. It was not what I ordered, important specs were wrong. Apparently they mixed up the shipping and someone else got my tent. Well. I will return this and get mine next week.

The tent I received (fully double layered) is the same size as my 2p tent's innertent:

It is stupid light 20D silpoly with a mesh innertent. 745g total without pegs or hiking poles. I have never owned such a tiny tent.

Now my problem is: what will I do with all the room in my 80 liter backpack now? Go to 2 week hikes with stupid amounts of food?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I use a grip6 as my regular every day belt, and just recently switched to a Lizard Tail belt
https://ltbelts.com/

It's much easier to grip when I throw it around a tree for poopin'

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sockser posted:

It's much easier to grip when I throw it around a tree for poopin'

I have clearly been using a belt wrong all these years.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

So the Trekkertent Stealth 1.5 I ordered arrived yesterday. It was not what I ordered, important specs were wrong. Apparently they mixed up the shipping and someone else got my tent. Well. I will return this and get mine next week.

The tent I received (fully double layered) is the same size as my 2p tent's innertent:

It is stupid light 20D silpoly with a mesh innertent. 745g total without pegs or hiking poles. I have never owned such a tiny tent.

Now my problem is: what will I do with all the room in my 80 liter backpack now? Go to 2 week hikes with stupid amounts of food?

Get a smaller pack :D

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I went on a 5.38 mile hike today in 29F weather. I recently got a buff and those things are amazing for both hot and cold weather. I've used it twice now and this summer it was great wrapped around my head to keep sweat out of my eyes. And today it was great as a gaiter around my neck, mouth and nose. Also sock liners are awesome. I didn't even get a single hot spot and my hiking boots are maybe half a size too short.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Heck yeah, I have a old fleece buff I use all the time.

It was my condensation bib hammock camping last week. Kept my down top quilt nice and dry.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I was planning to get the Costco hiking poles as an Xmas gift but it looks like they don't sell them anymore. What are some reccomended ones that don't break the bank?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Get the same thing (cascade mountain tech brand) from amazon, where they cost 15 additional dollars

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
These are the Costco poles. Still $50 cheaper than most comparable poles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJP43FA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Nxg1FbHW7A52J

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

I was planning to get the Costco hiking poles as an Xmas gift but it looks like they don't sell them anymore. What are some reccomended ones that don't break the bank?

They’re seasonal. If you don’t need them right away you can wait a couple months until they come back or yeah, just pay the Amazon tax.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

The Monoprice poles aren't bad IMO. Well, they weren't, but I went to get a link for ya and it says they're discontinued! https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15319 The price was competitive with the Costco ones.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I got these after my last poles broke and I’ve liked them a lot more than my old aluminum ones— plus only one adjustment point makes them a lot less of a pain and they’re super light for the price

Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles - Ultralight 2 Piece Carbon Fiber Walking or Hiking Sticks with Quick Adjustable Locks (Set of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086R8FM6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_2Zs1FbYVJRC9N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Have any of you guys used boot stretchers or shoe trees to maintain full leather boot size? I've got a pair of asolos I haven't worn in 6 months and they're extremely tight and shrunk so much that they're unwearable, although I know when they're worn in and loose they're perfectly sized.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

thatguy posted:

Have any of you guys used boot stretchers or shoe trees to maintain full leather boot size? I've got a pair of asolos I haven't worn in 6 months and they're extremely tight and shrunk so much that they're unwearable, although I know when they're worn in and loose they're perfectly sized.
I haven't done DIY stretching, but it is a service shoe repair places offer.

Oh, maintaining shape yes. Shoe trees are good to keep things from shrinking while drying. Get a set to leave in any fancy pair of leather shoes you have.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I would be cautious of trying to stretch goretex boots as you might stretch the liner and sacrifice the integrity of it's waterproofness. Talking to an actual cobbler might give you a more accurate understanding if it's possible.

Also with full grain leather boots, if they shrunk because they got wet and dried, or the leather just dried out, stretching might damage the leather. You might want to treat it first to make it slightly more pliable before doing anything. Again, I would suggest seeing a professional.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Are there any reasonably priced options for a hot tent out there? Ive had a few cold nights this year and Ive taken the first step towards fixing that by upgrading my sleeping bag, but the idea of a wood stove warmed tent to hunker down in and make coffee/food in sounds pretty appealing. My problem is that it seems like the only options are sketchy looking teepee tents from China, or high end canvas tents that start out in the low $500s. Ideally Id like something that can sleep two people, plus stove and gear for around $300. Does such a thing even exist?

Ive also been looking at some of the DIY tarp teepees people make from large tarps and Gorilla Tape. These seem..... interesting? Anyone know someone thats actually used one of these things? They actually seem kind ok, especially compared to some of the low end teepee tents. The problem is having a wood stove going inside a giant tarp teepee just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Are there any reasonably priced options for a hot tent out there? Ive had a few cold nights this year and Ive taken the first step towards fixing that by upgrading my sleeping bag, but the idea of a wood stove warmed tent to hunker down in and make coffee/food in sounds pretty appealing. My problem is that it seems like the only options are sketchy looking teepee tents from China, or high end canvas tents that start out in the low $500s. Ideally Id like something that can sleep two people, plus stove and gear for around $300. Does such a thing even exist?

Ive also been looking at some of the DIY tarp teepees people make from large tarps and Gorilla Tape. These seem..... interesting? Anyone know someone thats actually used one of these things? They actually seem kind ok, especially compared to some of the low end teepee tents. The problem is having a wood stove going inside a giant tarp teepee just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Don’t forget to upgrade your sleeping pad as well with something that’s higher R Value so the ground doesn’t suck out all your body heat. That might be your biggest ROI if you haven’t addressed that issue already.

One trick to extending your heat at night is to boil some water, pop it into a nalgene, cram that into a spare wool sock, and tuck that between your thighs. Your femoral artery will absorb the heat and recirculate it all night long, while your body keeps the bottle warm... it’s a pretty neat trick that’s saved my butt a few times.

And don’t forget about moisture. All the breathing will generate condensate, which is where a double wall tent can help, or a tarp tent that allows airflow. Little design stuff to deal with that makes a huge difference.

I personally use a hammock with a hex tarp stretched out over me, basically entirely exposed, but I sleep quite warm and toasty thanks to having the right quilts and a wool beanie.

Where you pitch camp also makes a huge difference, if you’re on a bald or in a grove of trees, or the leeward side of the hill.

Socks help me, and down booties are also a treat in the shoulder and cold seasons.

Also, re: stoves: Nylon and artificial fibers used for tents are petroleum based. You can probably get away with cooking under the awning if you’re extremely careful but under no circumstances would I be using a stove or any fire inside a tent, that’s just asking for disaster. Unless you have a canvas hot tent especially designed for something like a radiant buddy heater. Rereading your question it sounds like a canvas tent is what you want, which is fine for car camping or if you anticipate bringing in gear on a sled. Look at old boy scout and surplus tents, though that’s a luck of the draw thing.

Hopefully some of that helps... what temperatures are you looking to go down to? What kind of camping will you be doing? What kind of gear do you already have?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Agreed. Anything that you want to put a heater into (with an open flame or high enough temps) should probably be made out of something (like cotton) because most technical fabrics are both super flammable and melt at very low temperatures. Anything with a flame for heat will need an exhaust vent so that you don't die from carbon monoxide.

Also be weary of the heat source, I personally wouldn't sleep with a propane heater running at night in a tent due to carbon monoxide. Even with a vent open. You could always bring a carbon monoxide detector but with cold enough weather it might kill the battery rendering it useless. Some of these guys with the big canvas tents run their stoves at night but they've got the right equipment and experience with it to know how to wake up in the morning.

I have thought about it a lot, making something like a soup/coffe can wood stove, or trying to fashion a battery powered heat pad to go between a pad and sleeping bag. Then I think of what would happen if the lipo battery caught fire at night ... Inside a flammable tent and sleeping bag.

Honestly the best thing to do is go for a warmer bag and pad combo. If you really want a warm tent environment, get a proper canvas tent and wood stove.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Was this the one you saw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3OSPhfPMw

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
So I'm not saying it's safe to do, but I have a Wawona 6 and I've run my little buddy heater in the vestibule before. There's plenty of space around it such that it doesnt melt the tent, but you absolutely have to be careful if you choose to do something like that. I have a battery powered carbon monoxide detector that I put in the tent if I do that. I don't think I would run it in the main body of a tent though, especially a smaller tent. It would be waaaay too easy to bump it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Are there any reasonably priced options for a hot tent out there?

Quick answer is no. Like others have said look to upgrade your sleeping pad, or to go the cheap route get a zlite foam pad to use underneath your existing pad to get a bit more warmth.

I saved up a few years to get my hot tent - https://www.airframesalaska.com/Arctic-oven-PipelinO-p/t00733.htm
And have zero regrets!

I dont use it every time I go camping in the winter, mostly we just set it up at state parks or national forest campgrounds in the winter as a basecamp to ski and snowshoe out of.

I paired it with a Winnerwell stove after waiting about 18 months on a G-Stove that was constantly on backorder.

If you did want to go the super cheap route I have seen some people on other forums get by with a DIY ammo can stove, which can be bought as a kit for relatively cheap and paired with one of those cheapy nylon teepee tents you've seen. To make it a bit better people buy fiberglass stove jack squares that can sew into the tent to make it a bit safer.

Anyway hot tents are a fun item! So if you think you'll use it a while i'd say go for it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I went back through my bookmarks, and found this, which had been kicking around in the bottom of the barrel for years until I just remembered it now. IT IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF ANY KIND.

https://kifaru.net/store/shelters/tipi-accessories/supertarp-annex/
https://kifaru.net/store/shelters/tarps/supertarp/

This combination of things seems to indicate that you could get away with a hot tent for under $750, not including a stove.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Luxe Outdoor Minipeak XL or Octopeak might work. Their prices seem alright. I don’t have firsthand experience but judging by a couple of youtube clips they seem to do the job well.

Using a synthetic hot tent is totally fine if it has a fireproof stove jack and you have a spark guard in the the stove pipe. You need to excercise caution of course but melting the tent by accident isn’t easy.

Minipeak XL and Thous Winds stove can be had for under 500 euros total and weighs about 3kg

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hopefully some of that helps... what temperatures are you looking to go down to? What kind of camping will you be doing? What kind of gear do you already have?

This was all really helpful. About sleeping pads, will a cot and the air gap it provides between me and the ground provide adequate insulation? I should mention, this is all for a car camping setup so a cot is a viable option for me.

As for temps, Ive had two encounters sleeping in 20 degree temps this year and its been a learning experience for sure. One in Texas and one in Nebraska. My hope for the years ahead is get camp and hunt Nebraska in December and Wyoming in March, so getting this stuff worked out so I can do that safely and comfortably is pretty important to me. A hot tent seems like a flexible setup that would do a lot to help with being comfortable, but the cost of a good hot tent setup rapidly approaches what I would pay for an inexpensive used slide in camper for my truck.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Thats the one! Lonnie apparently has a pretty good reputation and there are several other videos out there of people that have made the same tent with solid results. It seems like an ok option to someone who is pretty unfamiliar with hot tenting like me, but on the flip side the idea of dying of c02 poisoning then having my corpse burnt to a crisp because my janky rear end DIY tarp tent was unsafe hardly seems like fun.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This dude seems to have pretty solid knowledge on winter camping (I believe he's in BC) and just did a review on this budget heated tent setup. Looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq2RJ9RCvrk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

This was all really helpful. About sleeping pads, will a cot and the air gap it provides between me and the ground provide adequate insulation? I should mention, this is all for a car camping setup so a cot is a viable option for me.

As for temps, Ive had two encounters sleeping in 20 degree temps this year and its been a learning experience for sure. One in Texas and one in Nebraska. My hope for the years ahead is get camp and hunt Nebraska in December and Wyoming in March, so getting this stuff worked out so I can do that safely and comfortably is pretty important to me. A hot tent seems like a flexible setup that would do a lot to help with being comfortable, but the cost of a good hot tent setup rapidly approaches what I would pay for an inexpensive used slide in camper for my truck.

Nope, you’ll still need a pad and insulation with a cot, otherwise it’s just a heat sink. Sleeping bags trap warm air with their loft. When they’re compressed there’s no space for warm air to be trapped, so it’s not doing a whole lot of good underneath you. That’s why you need foam or other insulation with a pad to keep warm. That’s why hammocks have under quilts, to loft up and insulated underneath. Some cots might have insulation if there’s a pad built in, but a typical one won’t. The R Value is the key measurement to look for. Higher R Value= Better insulation.

Nebraska and Wyoming would probably be great for a hot tent... that’s getting into serious winter territory, eg having a 4x4 vehicle do you don’t get stuck at the trail head etc.

rockear posted:

This dude seems to have pretty solid knowledge on winter camping (I believe he's in BC) and just did a review on this budget heated tent setup. Looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq2RJ9RCvrk

That actually looks pretty interesting, and cheap as hell too. Though the nylon is still a problem, he had sparks coming through the chimney putting holes in his tent. If I were to buy one I’d do canvas since it’d be a stationary camp, but that’s just my bias. Also anything like this I’d be using a sled to pack it in so I’m not concerned with weight and volume to warrant light materials. Plus a bowsaw and sawzall for carving up deadfall would be nice. All this chat is really giving me the itch to buy a hot tent myself now....