Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the worst part is you don't get the bad rear end special effects and pyrotechnics of a quickening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Package (1989) starring Gene Hackman, Joanna Cassidy, Tommy Lee Jones,, John Heard, and Dennis Franz is a good Political Thriller. Bit of domestic gladio with the backdrop of end of cold war peace treaty and nuclear dearmament treaties. I recomend.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1336108590495637505?s=20

quote:

“Some of our industry’s biggest filmmakers and most important movie stars went to bed the night before thinking they were working for the greatest movie studio and woke up to find out they were working for the worst streaming service,” filmmaker Christopher Nolan, whose relationship with Warners dates back to Insomnia in 2002, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

Added Nolan: “Warner Bros. had an incredible machine for getting a filmmaker’s work out everywhere, both in theaters and in the home, and they are dismantling it as we speak. They don’t even understand what they’re losing. Their decision makes no economic sense, and even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction.”

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Atrocious Joe posted:

even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction.

looks like Nolan doesn't spend a whole lot of time in the doomsday economics thread

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

which south park episode was it that had celebrity musicians join the kids protest against piracy and it becoming very obvious very quickly that they cared more about making money than anyone actually listening to their music

the filmmakers in that article give off the exact same energy except worse because its hard to imagine what possible reason anyone could have to be mad about this except that it fucks with their contract incentives and in this case not doing it necessitates encouraging people to get themselves killed for christopher nolans royalty checks

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

i was listening to a recent struggle session, or maybe it was a redlettermedia and they were speculating about how pissed off nolan would be about the streaming thing and they nearly perfectly predicted his reaction

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nolan's a big "cinematic experience" guy who already feels super embattled about shooting on film and film projection going away and this is like that x1000.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

i was listening to a recent struggle session, or maybe it was a redlettermedia and they were speculating about how pissed off nolan would be about the streaming thing and they nearly perfectly predicted his reaction

having watched tenet, i think he should hope that as few people watch it as possible so that he can maintain his "guy we care about for some reason" status

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
lol at Nolan of all people getting precious about this considering WB gave his bad movie a wide theatrical release just like he wanted and it bombed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's funny that Christopher Nolan of all people is so obsessed with people going to see his movies in theatres considering he only makes movies that are completely incomprehensible the first time you see them if you can't pause and say "wait who the gently caress is that" and turn on subtitles

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its not warners fault that normal people dont give a poo poo about "the cinematic experience" and will happily watch movies in the comfort of thier own home

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vyelkin posted:

it's funny that Christopher Nolan of all people is so obsessed with people going to see his movies in theatres considering he only makes movies that are completely incomprehensible the first time you see them if you can't pause and say "wait who the gently caress is that" and turn on subtitles

i find his early work (or whatever period youd put memento into) very understandable, id say that Inception is when he stopped caring about visual simplicity and made it harder to understand what was going on bc he had to make all these cool visuals that ultimately fed attention away from the plot

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

was anyone whining like this when disney announced the exact same shift in distribution months ago

Serf
May 5, 2011

vyelkin posted:

imagine spending 200 million dollars on your "please let me make a james bond movie" project and mixing the dialogue below the music in 40% of the scenes

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its not warners fault that normal people dont give a poo poo about "the cinematic experience" and will happily watch movies in the comfort of thier own home

i personally love the theater experience. nothing better than seeing a movie with a big audience and getting into the collective energy of either liking it or hating it. but that ain't worth getting covid for!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serf posted:

i personally love the theater experience. nothing better than seeing a movie with a big audience and getting into the collective energy of either liking it or hating it. but that ain't worth getting covid for!

Same actually, but we arent normal is my main point in that regard

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember the blood transfusion they did on banes crashing plane

i still cant remember what continuity hole that was supposed to be covering up just such a bewildering thing to include in a crashing plane scene

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

was anyone whining like this when disney announced the exact same shift in distribution months ago

Everyone working on Disney projects know not to speak up

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Serf posted:

imagine spending 200 million dollars on your "please let me make a james bond movie" project and mixing the dialogue below the music in 40% of the scenes

I read a funny article a little while back called something like "why is sound mixing in movies so bad?" and it was a Hollywood sound engineer basically saying "we try our absolute hardest to make the dialogue comprehensible but then inevitably the director comes in and says "gently caress it crank the music and sound effects to 11" and then we say "now no one can hear the dialogue" and the director who has memorized the entire script (and who sometimes wrote the script in the first place!) and knows exactly what word comes next in every line says "nah it sounds fine to me I can tell what they're saying" and then the movie comes out and no one who hasn't already memorized the script has any idea what the gently caress is happening

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh yeah I absolutely think Nolan is yelling at the tide to turn back here, just saying that's what his motivation is.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
This new Chapo is wild. They’re arguing that Avatar is actually an amazing movie that everyone liked at release and has only been downplayed as part of a conspiracy to ignore revolutionary media. The really boring three hour long retelling of Pocahontas as a toy commercial where John Smith is the main character that gets changed into a Native American is secretly genius and I was apparently kidnapped in my sleep and reprogrammed to think differently.

$165,000.00 Pateron dollars a month does weird things to the brain.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mysterious frankie posted:

They’re arguing that Avatar is actually an amazing movie that everyone liked at release and has only been downplayed as part of a conspiracy to ignore revolutionary media.

Same but for Titan AE

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Same but for Titan AE

I am much more willing to accept this than Avatar. Mainly because it’s only 90 minutes long, and I haven’t seen it, so I don’t already know it’s the big budget action equivalent of the color beige.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

Disney has their creatives in a vice grip, Warner pretends they give a poo poo about art or something. The executives are also doing a shock treatment thing by announcing everyone's movies going to streaming at once instead of negotiating, so people are getting screwed out of money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Avatar is not good and I find it deeply funny that James Cameron, probably one of the most talented filmmakers of his generation, has spend the last chapter of his life and career making FIVE MOVIES that no one wants just because the first one happened to arrive at the one exact moment when everyone thought 3D technology was going to change moviemaking forever and it rode that wave to the tune of $2.8 billion before being instantly forgotten to the point that one time I was having fun with some family members going through what was the highest-grossing movie of each year and literally no one remembered Avatar for 2009 despite the fact that at the time it was also the highest-grossing movie ever made

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been waiting for people to turn on Chapo for a while now

Serf
May 5, 2011

This new Chapo is wild. They’re arguing that Avatar is actually an amazing movie that everyone liked at release and has only been downplayed as part of a conspiracy to ignore revolutionary media. The really boring three hour long retelling of Pocahontas as a toy commercial where John Smith is the main character that gets changed into a Native American is secretly genius and I was apparently kidnapped in my sleep and reprogrammed to think differently.

i think people hated that segment of the original episode so much that they did this to make them even angrier

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Serf posted:

i think people hated that segment of the original episode so much that they did this to make them even angrier

I’m an hour into the episode and am wondering if this is actually 10th dimension trolling, or if a combo of Biden winning, lockdown never ending and money poisoning has finally cooked their brains.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been waiting for people to turn on Chapo for a while now

I remember enjoying their stuff for the most part, for most of the Trump era, . Now finishing an entire episode in one go feels like America’s “well actually” nephews spiked the thanksgiving turkey with a paralytic so they can monologue uninterrupted.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

I’m an hour into the episode and am wondering if this is actually 10th dimension trolling, or if a combo of Biden winning, lockdown never ending and money poisoning has finally cooked their brains.

It's probably everything but the money, they've had film opinions that I thought were stupid before this. I think they do have this weird insistence on committing to their bits no matter how bizarre. I've probably heard the word "uncle" more times in the last 12 months of the show than I have in my entire life before that point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Serf posted:

I've been wondering if this is some bit.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
only the gooniest of goons actually dislike the theater experience, it's just hard to justify $20 per ticket plus $50 in concessions (and yes, even though they're overpriced, getting popcorn and soda is fun). big movie screen, comfy seats, air conditioning, watching previews, what's not to like?

for my part, I never got into the Alamo draft house/dinner theatre thing. I understand theatres had to do something to drive sales but somehow including cocktails and salads and burgers into the mix threw off the delicate balance that made movies so good in the first place

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One thing that generation of posters never understood is that clout is non-transferable between platforms

And I'm serious, a major problem with the wokescold types is not understanding that being respected for saying the correct opinions in one venue does not transfer to other places who have different assumptions and no more reason to listen to you than any other internet rando. Hence why they cannibalise each other; the only real targets they can actually claim.

Similarly, the ability to write Correct Opinions does not translate into the ability to write entertaining narratives. And this is in YA, where the bar for "good writing" is set about as low as possible.

quote:

Mandalorian Chat

I like this show because it's Star Wars QAnon.

The Child has been procured by the Empire/Deep State to be harvested for midichlorians/adrenochrome, and only a secret society of violent religious zealots can save him and stop the villains from succeeding.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

It feels like padding in order to hit a minimum requirement, like how, since I’m currently contract to hire, I’m cooking up stuff to do on Christmas Eve/Christmas and New Year’s Eve/day so that I can justify not losing 32 hours worth of pay; or when Van Morrison wrote songs about ringworm and danishes in order to legally terminate a studio relationship, except... they’re not under contract?

I guess they’re bored enough to think Avatar is exciting, which is understandable. I got a year of Apple+ for free with my new work phone and am at the point in my own isolation where that drama about a morning talk show is looking pretty intriguing. It’s a dark future.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I read a funny article a little while back called something like "why is sound mixing in movies so bad?" and it was a Hollywood sound engineer basically saying "we try our absolute hardest to make the dialogue comprehensible but then inevitably the director comes in and says "gently caress it crank the music and sound effects to 11" and then we say "now no one can hear the dialogue" and the director who has memorized the entire script (and who sometimes wrote the script in the first place!) and knows exactly what word comes next in every line says "nah it sounds fine to me I can tell what they're saying" and then the movie comes out and no one who hasn't already memorized the script has any idea what the gently caress is happening

I have to watch most live action stuff these days with subtitles/captions on for this reason.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Nolan insists on using the sound captured during a take and won't use ADR. If he's using a loud as gently caress IMAX camera, which supposedly sounds like a washing machine running, that's just too bad.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

vyelkin posted:

really glad to be justified by this

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I saw a tweet once that was like "avatar has ultimately been less culturally impactful than homestar runner" and, yeah

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"my podcast friends liking things i don't like? impossible! it must be the money! or they're padding, yeah that's it, padding..."

maybe they just don't have the exact same opinions as you, you loving weirdo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Hezbolsonaro/status/1336209894777606145?s=20

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

starkebn posted:

Nolan insists on using the sound captured during a take and won't use ADR. If he's using a loud as gently caress IMAX camera, which supposedly sounds like a washing machine running, that's just too bad.

Last Nolan movie I saw in theater was Inception and I don’t remember it being mixed weird. Looks like he’s made four movies since then; have they gotten more divisive, sound design wise, or did I just get lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its a joke