Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Victory Position posted:

a true cynic would see a disabled man's opportunity to walk again as being the impetus for a world's defense and triumph

i see people saying a lot that the movie is ableist because jake sully wants to walk again. but like, i've met plenty of disabled people who would happily trade in their busted poo poo for a working version. i'm pretty okay with my situation, but if you told me you could grow my foot back, i'd take that deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Euphoriaphone posted:

I haven't seen Avatar since its original run but it is good for showing the US military getting their poo poo wrecked in the end and portraying that as being unequivocally good (ok technically a PMC but of course the military will be completely privatized in the far future).

Here's a decent summary of why it's not necessarily just a white savior story
https://twitter.com/karpmj/status/1336380425384718338

So Avatar is just sci-fi The Last Samurai?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

THS posted:

has anyone watched the last samurai recently?? maybe its actually good

It's a good movie. I'm not sure about the politics, but still, an enjoyable watch.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So Avatar is just sci-fi The Last Samurai?

Nah, because they win in Avatar. Also there's no hair-sex in TLS.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fluoride Jones posted:

I forgot about the eyes wide shut up. Also hilarious. The jfk one was alright, I think the funniest thing to me about it was that like them I saw it was I was a young lib teenager, and I had the exact fantasy about going to dc to see the declassified documents that they talked about

the funniest part of the jfk ep is when they reveal that the jury took an hour to reach the verdict and throw out the case

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Majorian posted:

You're gonna be so disappointed when fully-Na'vi Jake Sully only eats mayonnaise and listens to Kid Rock.

cut scene of naavi jake sully blasting "lose yourself" before the climatic battle

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

EverettLO posted:

There's no argument that Sully isn't a white savior that can't be equally applied to Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves.

i must not be on your level of irony because i've been hearing people say that about Dances With Wolves for most of my life

Serf posted:

i see people saying a lot that the movie is ableist because jake sully wants to walk again. but like, i've met plenty of disabled people who would happily trade in their busted poo poo for a working version. i'm pretty okay with my situation, but if you told me you could grow my foot back, i'd take that deal

yeah but you gotta turn blue and culturally appropriate, big yikes from me

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

yeah but you gotta turn blue and culturally appropriate, big yikes from me

yeah that's a dealbreaker, i don't want to be a giant blue person with a head tentacle dick

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EverettLO posted:

There's no argument that Sully isn't a white savior that can't be equally applied to Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves.

also Paul Atreides

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THS posted:

has anyone watched the last samurai recently?? maybe its actually good

Nioh was pretty good

you get to kick the poo poo out of John Dee and that's always a good time

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

this Lawrence of Arabia guys seems kinda sus, couldn't be me, etc

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the last samurai had that dogshit "we dont use guns they are dishonorable or something" trope in it and thats unforgivable

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

So do they get to say it?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

maybe camron’s vision for avatar is a sort of dune trajectory where jake sully leads the navi to jihad against earth and by the 7th avatar film the entire universe is under the bare blue foot of the navi

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the only good movie is the second Brave Little Toaster where a mainframe computer infects some nerds thesis with a singing computer virus and his housewares/animal slaves team up to find a vaccum tube. all other media is revisionist and cancelled

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
james cameron needs to direct alita 2, gently caress this avatar nonesense

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

THS posted:

maybe camron’s vision for avatar is a sort of dune trajectory where jake sully leads the navi to jihad against earth and by the 7th avatar film the entire universe is under the bare blue foot of the navi

kull wahad

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

uber_stoat posted:

kull wahad

ah, the Tarantino cut

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

uber_stoat posted:

kull wahad

Please dont make me horny, I'm on a zoom work call and I might have to pull a toobin

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Crazy rear end White Na'vi

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Terminal autist posted:

Please dont make me horny, I'm on a zoom work call and I might have to pull a toobin

"Pull" a toobin lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Mirepoix doesn't belong in bolognese.

THANK you

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
also the end of avatar is "we have to kill america because they will stripmine everything to keep capitalism going" and that rules

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

I just nutted.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Doc Hawkins posted:

this Lawrence of Arabia guys seems kinda sus, couldn't be me, etc

If Lawrence had turned around and blown up a British air-craft carrier when they reneged on an arab state he'd be rightly considered a hero. It wasn't Lawrence's whiteness or culturally appropriating Bedouin dress that made him sus, he was just a piece of poo poo manipulating arabs for imperial gain. Obsessing over cultural appropriation is just narcissistic western navel gazing. If you wanna wild out and dress up in a kimono and fancy yourself a son of Siam go for it, just oppose imperialism my dude.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

i don't see your michelin stars

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

THS posted:

Do we still get the sex witches?

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I've seen hundreds of pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I've never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever no. But this picture made me stop and evalutate. Putting the Navi in made me look at what is actually happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make them feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank You.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I want a telepathic blue sex tail

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Centrist Committee posted:

I want a telepathic blue sex tail

bet those things get infected all the time.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

lol how do you make a bolognese without a soffritto

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

only onions maybe celery no carrots

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Lol

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
soffrito is literally how you start a bolognese what the gently caress are you talking about

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I was just considering this earlier today, but I'm fully expecting at least one of the Avatar films to be about humans developing a longer-range Avatar remote-piloting broadcast ship, parking it somewhere near Pandora, and just sending in waves of Avatar Na'vi infiltrators to do suicide bombings and other sort of disruptive poo poo to the Na'vi groups. Like BSG's humaniform Cylons did early on, where they sent a Doral in to suicide attack on the Galactica. It'd make perfect sense, if they can handwave away turning the Avatar bodies from a billion-dollar investment into something mass-produced and, thus, disposable.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
do you just make any tomato sauce toss it on pasta and call it bolognese?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goast posted:

do you just make any tomato sauce toss it on pasta and call it bolognese?

no you forgot the bologna

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Taintrunner posted:

the only good "political" sci-fi movie/show in modern times is the expanse, lol

Elysium.

Seriously, go back to that poo poo and tell me that's not a 100% unembellished depiction of rich fucks NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Algund Eenboom posted:

[timg]https://i.ibb.co/sbkvDfb/605-Bolognese-For-Days.jpg[/timg*]

i knew about the chili one did they make a whole series of that poo poo?